Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Service Repair Center

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Wenger Service Repair Center
on: April 27, 2010, 11:07:41 PM
OK, I sent in a couple of discontinued knife models to Wenger NA in Orangeburg New York for repair but was told they will not repair them since they are discontinued. They did offer to replace them with the newest model that most closely compares to it. Generally I would go ahead and accept that offer having to only pay for S&H at $3 per knife. However one of these models is a pretty rare model that would be almost impossible to replace. I have elected to have that model returned to me without anything being done to it.

I sent in 2 knives before several years ago and I have been pretty much satisfied with the Wenger Service Center's  ability to respond very quickly. Thumbs up for their speed and efficiency.  :tu: I only wish they could and would do actual repairs like the Victorinox Service Center does.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wenger Service Repair Center
Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 12:44:44 AM
Do you think they'd repair them if you sent them to Switzerland?
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 01:31:22 AM
Do you think they'd repair them if you sent them to Switzerland?
I have never sent anything to Switzerland before. I guess it might be possible but the website states to send to your local country area service center.

On that note I have a couple of rare, vintage Victorinox made knives that need new liners and pins. All the liners have a crack at  the center pin and either have very little snap or are hard to open. The knife tools themselves are in great shape though so I figure a repair should be possible. I am worried about losing a rare collectible if I send it in. I guess I need to contact them first about such repairs on vintage knives.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 03:19:08 AM
Wayne, please email me some pictures/details of the knives you have and what's wrong with them.  I may be able to help.  I can't promise anything, but I'll do what I can.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 04:22:51 AM
Wayne, please email me some pictures/details of the knives you have and what's wrong with them.  I may be able to help.  I can't promise anything, but I'll do what I can.

Def
OK, I will have to take some and get back to you on that later on.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:34:38 PM
I sent in an old alox woodsman to the ibach factory two weeks ago (via my local branch of victorinox in germany), it was in solid condition but the blade had been mutilated by a grinder by the previous owner. The contact said they'd be happy to just replace the blade for me, and do it out of good will, so I don't pay for the repairs, even though I bought the knife second hand it was clearly abused against warranty conditions. I expect to get it back sometime in the next two weeks, so will post the results, so that people here will know what to expect when sending their vintage knives to Ibach.
woodsman 002.JPG
* woodsman 002.JPG (Filesize: 82.77 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 06:11:11 PM
I would be less worried about sending in an alox knife for repair but with a cellidor scaled model with a bail I am a little concerned that they might not reinstall the bail.

One other thing is that one of my knives that needs repair has what I believe to be the old "celluloid" scales before they started to use the "cellidor" ones.

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 06:15:46 PM
I sent in an old alox woodsman to the ibach factory two weeks ago (via my local branch of victorinox in germany), it was in solid condition but the blade had been mutilated by a grinder by the previous owner. The contact said they'd be happy to just replace the blade for me, and do it out of good will, so I don't pay for the repairs, even though I bought the knife second hand it was clearly abused against warranty conditions. I expect to get it back sometime in the next two weeks, so will post the results, so that people here will know what to expect when sending their vintage knives to Ibach.

Now that's service  :salute:

I do understand your concerns Wayne, I've personally never sent anything in but I think if I did I would deal directly with Switzerland.

de Offline Jmora

Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 03:33:34 PM
I got that woodsman back from Ibach today (after only a bit more than 2 weeks - pretty fast). They replaced the blade and left everything else original, as I requested. What really impresses me though, as you can see in the photos below (comparison is a '07 soldier), They didn't just replace it with a new blade, but seem to have dug around and found a brushed steel blade. It even has (half) a year tang stamp on it, just a '6'. I am really impressed that they cared enough to respect the era of the knife.

Of course a celluloid scale with bale is a lot more complicated, but on the basis of this, it might be worth asking about the possibilities, if they have a stockpile of really old parts at the factory.
tiny woodsman may 3.jpg
* tiny woodsman may 3.jpg (Filesize: 63.69 KB)
tiny woodsman may 3 2.jpg
* tiny woodsman may 3 2.jpg (Filesize: 77.66 KB)

de Offline Jmora

Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 03:34:51 PM
...here is the tang stamp
tiny woodsman may 3 3.jpg
* tiny woodsman may 3 3.jpg (Filesize: 64.16 KB)

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 04:14:13 PM
Jmora that is amazing customer service how cool is that from Vic  :o 8) 8).

I wonder how similar the repair departments/policies are between  Victorinox & Wenger  :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 08:38:41 PM
That's really good to hear :tu:  What great service  :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 07:11:53 PM
OK, I sent in a couple of discontinued knife models to Wenger NA in Orangeburg New York for repair but was told they will not repair them since they are discontinued. They did offer to replace them with the newest model that most closely compares to it. Generally I would go ahead and accept that offer having to only pay for S&H at $3 per knife. However one of these models is a pretty rare model that would be almost impossible to replace. I have elected to have that model returned to me without anything being done to it.

I sent in 2 knives before several years ago and I have been pretty much satisfied with the Wenger Service Center's  ability to respond very quickly. Thumbs up for their speed and efficiency.  :tu: I only wish they could and would do actual repairs like the Victorinox Service Center does.
Well, I am still a fan of the Wenger NA service department but they did screw up this repair order. They went ahead and replaced my "Safari"(serrated blade with lock) with a plain EVO S18 while I had asked they just return it with no repairs because that model is very hard to find. Its probably my fault since I agreed to have the replacement done via e-mail but called on the phone to change it.

I sent them in on 4-23-2010 and the replacements arrived back yesterday. About a 2 week turn around. Much better than Victorinox but then again Victorinox actually does repairs when its possible adding more time.

So lesson to learn is do not expect an actual repair to be done on discontinued models from Wenger NA service department. The positives are they are very quick to take care of your repair order and they communicate very well. :tu: :tu:

ca Offline gunga

Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 06:40:17 AM
So, at what point does one send in stuff for repairs?  If you have a broken tip on a normal knife, do you send it in?

If a knife is beaten up, and wasted, do you send it in?

I rebuilt an old huntsman for a friend, my first mod.  It went okay, not perfect, but pretty good.  Was not too fun though (the second was better).  It had 2 broken blades and a bent corkscrew.  Is that something that should just be sent back?

I'm curious about the warranty and repairs...

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 07:00:53 AM
Quote from the Wenger NA website regarding the warranty;

Wenger Swiss Army Knife Limited Lifetime Warranty

All Wenger Genuine Swiss Army Knives, purchased in the U.S.A. and its territories and possessions, are warranted for the lifetime of the original purchaser, against breakage or malfunction, under normal use, due to defects in material or workmanship. We will repair or, at our option, replace any defective knife with the same or a comparable model. We will refund the purchase price if repair or replacement is not commercially practical or cannot be made in a timely fashion. This warranty will become null and void if the knife is misused, abused, tampered with or taken apart. It also does not cover any ornamentation, imprint or inlay applied to the knife. We will not be liable for any incidental, consequential, or special damages arising from any and all uses of the knife.

I underlined a couple key parts. Of the knives I sent in, one had a defective lock that allowed the blade to slip closed even though the lock was engaged and the other knife had a problem of misuse/abuse. I had offered to pay for the repairs to that knife but they covered it under warranty anyway. You do have to pay for shipping and handling, although it is not much.

Overall I am happy with both Swiss service centers but I give Wenger an extra thumbs up for speed and response. Its probably due to the Victorinox service center handling a heavier volume.

additionally; any MOD's you do would forfeit the warranty.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:27:05 AM by stressmaster5000 »

ca Offline gunga

Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 07:08:46 AM
He he he.

Of course!  I figured mods were not covered.  Just curious if I get a knife that is badly beaten, if I should send it in etc...

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 10:14:39 AM
He he he.

Of course!  I figured mods were not covered.  Just curious if I get a knife that is badly beaten, if I should send it in etc...

... are warranted for the lifetime of the original purchaser,...
Technically, no you shouldn't.

Nothing to stop you asking if they'd repair any particular knife though.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%