Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

what are youre knife turn on and offs?

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: what are youre knife turn on and offs?
Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 06:50:14 PM
2-tap,

Thanks for your insight.  I have a pretty modest assortment of cutlery and a few different
steels, grinds, models.  I don't have your experience but just have to go on what I need and
use knives for.  One of the things I call on a knife to do most often is busting down cardboard
boxes.  I've taken plain edges to this as well as serrations, cheap and more expensive steels.
I've attacked a warehouse full of boxes hacking off tops off so the stock is
easy to extract and then flattened them down for recycling.  I've dulled my cheap plain edge
knives quite quickly and my s30v and 154cm less so.  I've found and (no I don't want to carry
around a proper box cutter)  :) that for my purpose a sharp serrated hawkbill style of knife like
the one's Spyderco and Byrd make for example outperform any of my plain edge blades without
a touchup.  They slice through with more ease than plain edge and when plain edge starts to
tear and you have to apply force the serrated edge is still slicing with ease.
Keep in mind this is just my opinion from my non-scientific observation and use.  ;)

I can see that.

I guess if I were breaking down cardboard all day, I'd get a nice folding utility knife and replace blades as necessary.  Different horses for different courses, I guess.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 07:05:02 PM
I only like serrations for when I'm working outside.  I agree about Combo edges, I just don't like 'em.  I agree with 2xtap and Mr. Whippy though, a PE will do anything I need it to do with a bit more control.  But, when dealing with nasty little branches and weeds around my mom's house, I prefer the serrated Saver Salt, it just rips through everything fairly efficiently.  Everything else i use PE. 
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 07:34:52 PM
The one thing about serrations is that there are alot of differences.  I know the Spyderco forum has a
few good threads on the various types + pic's.  There are some that are contain some very pointy
points and according to posts make it difficult to cut some things snagging on them in the process.
Some companies though just seem to do them right.  Byrd for example do it well as well as Kershaw with their
rounded, shallow serrations.  They are just a joy to use depending on what your cutting of course.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 08:15:50 PM
Serrations certainly have their place and although a well sharpened PE will do everything a serrated blade will do, I always argue that for some tasks a serrated blade will work easier and better.  Personally I prefer PE for EDC, but there is no arguing the use of serrations IMO.
I'm back!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75
Site Currency: USD