Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Love for the G

Zed · 761 · 84845

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Re: Love for the G
Reply #120 on: December 14, 2013, 12:55:27 PM
What do people think of the auto illumination on the g's? waste of battery? a gimmick? personally i love it :D

any ideas of how long the batterys on the solar G's typically last?
I

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #121 on: December 14, 2013, 05:56:59 PM
What do people think of the auto illumination on the g's? waste of battery? a gimmick? personally i love it :D

I've heard of the solar batteries refusing to take anymore charge after several years. Personally, I would not own a solar powered watch again based on what I've learned. I am perfectly capable of replacing an ordinary battery and/or gasket should the need arise.

As for any use of the illumination feature, while it does consume your battery, I do not believe it is any kind of gimmick. I use the illuminator on all of my Casio's to check the time at night.
SAW

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #122 on: December 14, 2013, 06:42:33 PM

My GX-56 has that feature, and I do think it's great.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #123 on: December 14, 2013, 09:14:15 PM

I've heard of the solar batteries refusing to take anymore charge after several years. Personally, I would not own a solar powered watch again based on what I've learned. I am perfectly capable of replacing an ordinary battery and/or gasket should the need arise.

As for any use of the illumination feature, while it does consume your battery, I do not believe it is any kind of gimmick. I use the illuminator on all of my Casio's to check the time at night.

Some of them have a cool little trick where you tilt the watch towards your face and it lights up on its own :)
I

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #124 on: December 15, 2013, 03:55:22 AM

I've heard of the solar batteries refusing to take anymore charge after several years. Personally, I would not own a solar powered watch again based on what I've learned

I would like to know what is wrong with solar.

I wear a tough solar every day going on about a year now.

is it gonna go dead on me. :(
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline sawman

Reply #125 on: December 15, 2013, 03:57:38 AM

I've heard of the solar batteries refusing to take anymore charge after several years. Personally, I would not own a solar powered watch again based on what I've learned

I would like to know what is wrong with solar.

I wear a tough solar every day going on about a year now.

is it gonna go dead on me. :(
They're generally good for a few years. Could last as long as 10. But eventually, they quit holding their charge and need replacing. I'm not saying they're not any good. Just not my personal preference...
SAW

us Offline Grail Knight

• Who Dares Wins!
Reply #126 on: December 15, 2013, 04:40:59 AM
I've heard of the solar batteries refusing to take anymore charge after several years. Personally, I would not own a solar powered watch again based on what I've learned.

I have the Casio G-Shock 2688 Solar/Atomic that has to be going on 10 years old and the battery is fine.

Like any other device using a rechargeable battery it helps to drain the battery and fully recharge it. I do this once a year.

Looking online a new rechargeable battery is US $21-23 and are also easy to change.
-----------
My other G-Shock is a 1985 model that I purchased well in the service. It survived the USN and US Army for a decade. It still works fine but I no longer wear it.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #127 on: December 15, 2013, 02:24:02 PM
I beg to differ.

some Rechargeable batteries will loose capacity if tehy are not completely discharged before they get recharged (Ni-CD batteries spring to mind.
The type used in watches is usually engineered for a flow-workmode, where it is constantly charged and recharged. Those Battery types are happy if tehy get fully charged once in a while, but will suffer badly when deeply discharged.
This is the reason why rarely worn solar powered wtaches taht have spent yeaers in dark drawers (and often look like new) will more often than not need a new battery sooner than a beater that gets abused, but charged on a regular basis.

I think a Solar charging G is nice if it is a regular worn watch (or you are watch nerd enough to keep it on a stand in teh sunlioght...) that sees enough light. If you tend to only take it out of the drawer, choose a battery powered G.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #128 on: December 15, 2013, 03:00:08 PM

Some of them have a cool little trick where you tilt the watch towards your face and it lights up on its own :)
Mine does that, but I have it turned off now where there's not as much daylight and I'm not outside quite as much.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: December 19, 2013, 08:24:41 PM
A few just for Jerseydevils delight... :D

Not a G, but a Solar Casio I modded. Put on Adaptors to accept a 24 mm Nato/Zulu, stealthed teh bezel ring and lettering:

Without my spindly forearm:

This is a GW-2500, one of the few I regret selling...

Another blacked out mod:

It had a metallic grey bezel which I sandblasted to get an even finish and then dyed black. It came on one of those double layer Velcro straps and now sports a Nato.

And a "lesser brother" of teh AWG-100 pictured a page earlier, a blacked out AW 590.

So much for now. Got some more pics and some more projects going on.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #130 on: December 20, 2013, 03:27:23 PM
A few just for Jerseydevils delight... :D

:D  I can see an analog G in my near future.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #131 on: December 21, 2013, 12:06:31 AM
SoI did help at last ? ::)
What are you looking at?

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #132 on: December 21, 2013, 04:46:39 AM
SoI did help at last ? ::)
What are you looking at?

:D not sure if "help" is the right word... As to which one, no clue! Gotta see what sort of $ comes my way for Christmas...

Sent from my mobile device using my fingers.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #133 on: December 21, 2013, 06:08:30 AM
I have a couple Solar Atomics that have the original battery.  I give them sun either by setting them near a window or bright lighted area and they seem to be holding a charge very well.  I'd agree with lowtech on not allowing the battery to discharge completely as his example with nimh batteries.  My watch box has a glass display so light can get in and they can charge. 

They are some nice looking Ana-Digi Gshocks I have the GW1500A that I like a lot with the exception of the light feature.  A cool blue light illuminates at 3 and 9 o'clock but makes it hard to see to see the whole face.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #134 on: December 23, 2013, 08:10:07 PM
I want to get a G-Shock at some point, thanks to this place >:D  I'm thinking about the GWM530A-1, but I also like the Mudman G9300-1 (rather expensive though :(). 
K-Tibbs

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #135 on: December 24, 2013, 12:56:57 AM
I want to get a G-Shock at some point, thanks to this place >:D  I'm thinking about the GWM530A-1, but I also like the Mudman G9300-1 (rather expensive though :().
I had a really hard choice choosing between the Mudman and my white GWM850.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #136 on: December 24, 2013, 06:39:59 AM
Well, after being virtually told off by you "G-Men" for buying a fake G-Schlock I thought this might redeem my character...

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #137 on: December 24, 2013, 09:09:01 AM
Nice one!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #138 on: December 24, 2013, 03:51:39 PM
I had a really hard choice choosing between the Mudman and my white GWM850.

Well my choice is fairly easy based on the price alone.  I would rather have the Mudman for all its features, but it's hard to justify spending $150-$200 (price fluctuates on Amazon) for a watch.  Heck, paying around $70 for the other one I mentioned is pushing it for me, but I would consider that one worth it.  The Mudman would be worth it as well, if I had that chunk of money to spend without any guilt...unfortunately I don't see that happening.  Tax refund season is coming though, and we usually splurge a little with that, but I'm not sure I'd get a watch with that money, or more MT/SAK goodness >:D  Not to mention there are at least one or two mods I'd like to have...darn >:D this evil place
K-Tibbs

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #139 on: December 24, 2013, 10:33:31 PM
Well, after being virtually told off by you "G-Men" for buying a fake G-Schlock I thought this might redeem my character...

I paid half new price for it at a local pawn shop.
The manual is with it and the dealer's stamp shows a date only 5 months ago.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #140 on: December 25, 2013, 01:11:33 AM
Nice score!  That watch looks great in red, makes me want to get one....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #141 on: December 26, 2013, 03:48:29 PM
Very nice mate  :salute: and will Last for years  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #142 on: December 26, 2013, 06:20:35 PM
great looking Gshock  :tu:  I wear a red one daily to work as well.
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #143 on: December 28, 2013, 12:23:31 PM
has anyone seen or tried the raf g shock?
I

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #144 on: December 28, 2013, 02:39:56 PM
I would, but it´s far out of my price range - The non-limited versions are a good bit cheaper while still far from cheap.

us Offline sawman

Reply #145 on: December 29, 2013, 03:39:50 PM
I've been wearing one of the newer 5600's since I got it on sale at Target. It's a classic that IMO nothing has ever even come close to challenging. Every G fan should own one!  :D
SAW

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #146 on: December 29, 2013, 06:21:50 PM
Here's my two, absolutely great! Not only are they both solar, but the one is controlled via radio control, set once and never again! Can't wear both so gotta switch hit or leave it in the window on a sunny day, but I have yet for the power level to leave high and I've had them for 3-5yrs :think: .. JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #147 on: December 29, 2013, 11:19:21 PM
I've been wearing the one from Aloha since getting it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #148 on: December 29, 2013, 11:52:38 PM
Great looking watches MadPlumb.  I'm glad it's getting much wear time Derekmac.
Esse Quam Videri

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #149 on: December 30, 2013, 12:36:48 AM
I just ordered a new strap for my 5600, I got from Zed long ago.. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%