Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Love for the G

Zed · 761 · 84153

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Love for the G
Reply #30 on: May 05, 2010, 08:27:08 PM
Paul that G looks right at home on the beach.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #31 on: May 05, 2010, 08:35:36 PM

cheers mate, oh where is it  :ahhh   :ahhh   :D its here  :rofl: 

i love the beach , its the only place i feel relaxed, well unless the ex rings me there  :D

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #32 on: May 05, 2010, 09:35:03 PM
If you're still in the market for a 5600 style G, I can highly recommend the GW-M5600BC-1ER :tu:

The negative display isn't everyone's cup of tea but I love it, and the bracelet instead of the usual band makes it really nice and still very light.
http://www.g-shock.co.uk/products/GW-M5600BC-1ER/

cheers chrissy, i have been looking at other models, im thinking about getting a DW-5600j but most seem to have a waveceptor that only works in japan or the states  :-\

paul

Stupid question, but if a chronometer is going to run off of atomic time, why wouldn't the manufacturer make it as to where it'll work around the world, based off of the nearest atomic clock? :/

us Offline David

Reply #33 on: May 05, 2010, 09:52:04 PM

cheers mate, oh where is it  :ahhh   :ahhh   :D its here  :rofl: 

i love the beach , its the only place i feel relaxed, well unless the ex rings me there  :D

I live a long way from the beach but the few times I was there I found it very soothing.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #34 on: May 05, 2010, 10:57:25 PM
i would love another DW5000c but they seem to go for high prices, plus mine had yellow letters and seem pretty rare,

paul

What is the difference between the 5000c and the 5600e?
- Terry

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #35 on: May 05, 2010, 11:10:30 PM
If you're still in the market for a 5600 style G, I can highly recommend the GW-M5600BC-1ER :tu:

The negative display isn't everyone's cup of tea but I love it, and the bracelet instead of the usual band makes it really nice and still very light.

I'd be all over that one if I could find it in the US....
- Terry

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: May 05, 2010, 11:15:13 PM

cheers chrissy, i have been looking at other models, im thinking about getting a DW-5600j but most seem to have a waveceptor that only works in japan or the states  :-\

paul

Stupid question, but if a chronometer is going to run off of atomic time, why wouldn't the manufacturer make it as to where it'll work around the world, based off of the nearest atomic clock? :/
New G-shocks can now sync all over the world, they are called Multi-Band Atomic;
Old models could only sync at just one frequency, so customers  choose between version for US, Europe or Japan market

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #37 on: May 05, 2010, 11:23:58 PM

I'd be all over that one if I could find it in the US....

Never mind, I found a similar one: DW5600MS-1CR

Thanks alot Zed, now I have to save up for a new G-shock...  :P  :D

I already have a Tough Solar Waveceptor (multiband analog model), so I think I might go full-retro on this one.  $35 for a simple 5600 seems like a pretty good deal.  Batteries last 10 years in these things anyway, so you'll never recoup the price of the solar model over the old battery type.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:25:33 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #38 on: May 05, 2010, 11:31:39 PM
G-shocks look great and I am pretty sure I would have owned one by now if I hadn't have got my Suunto.  Paul, I like the one you have.  :tu:
I'm back!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #39 on: May 05, 2010, 11:44:46 PM
i would love another DW5000c but they seem to go for high prices, plus mine had yellow letters and seem pretty rare,

paul

the DW-5000c is the 80's model as i had when i was 13, the 5600e is the 96 model, has many differences although has the same look,

paul

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: May 05, 2010, 11:45:27 PM
G-shocks look great and I am pretty sure I would have owned one by now if I hadn't have got my Suunto.  Paul, I like the one you have.  :tu:

cheers mate i was after something that looked like my old ones,  :tu:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #41 on: May 07, 2010, 11:11:04 AM

paul

the DW-5000c is the 80's model as i had when i was 13, the 5600e is the 96 model, has many differences although has the same look,

paul

After some reading, I see that the earlier models had a stainless casing w/screwback surrounded by plastic, and in the 90's they switched to the the lighter plastic case w/stamped steel back.  What is your opinion on the difference in durability between the two designs?
- Terry

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #42 on: May 07, 2010, 11:26:26 AM

paul

paul

After some reading, I see that the earlier models had a stainless casing w/screwback surrounded by plastic, and in the 90's they switched to the the lighter plastic case w/stamped steel back.  What is your opinion on the difference in durability between the two designs?

well as far as ive read from 96 the DW5600e that i have now was the first to have composite fiberglass module casing instead of stainless steel , they say the new version is lighter and stronger, so i guess a overall improvement, evolution  :D

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #43 on: May 09, 2010, 11:33:07 AM
i saw some g shocks yesterday  :drool: some of the analogue ones look nice
I

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Reply #44 on: September 25, 2010, 06:47:07 AM
Here's my newest G-Shock. GWM5600A-7 (Solar Atomic) with the white band removed, and Zulu strap adaptors put on. I put on a 24mm band. It sort of has a search and rescue look to it.
full.jpg
* full.jpg (Filesize: 51.84 KB)
front.jpg
* front.jpg (Filesize: 49.89 KB)
side.jpg
* side.jpg (Filesize: 39.04 KB)
back.jpg
* back.jpg (Filesize: 44.59 KB)

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #45 on: September 25, 2010, 10:23:25 AM
Ari, that's my kind of setup there.  The thing about CASIO and colors is you got to get them while they're available or you miss out.  Back when the Mudman first came out I picked up 2 of the gray ones and kept one in un-used condition.  I would have to say though out of all the G-Shocks, the classic model is my favorite  and I may yet look into the atomic version.
SAW

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #46 on: September 25, 2010, 11:58:25 AM
I was looking at the riseman a while ago, but eventually decided against it. The g-shocks just look so, I duno, exaggerated. Always looks like it has way more functions than it actually has, and something came out of transformers.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #47 on: September 25, 2010, 06:17:52 PM
I also have one of these. I never take it off!

Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #48 on: September 25, 2010, 07:46:58 PM
ive got a g2900 coming with a nylon strap for wearing just on my bike, it was cheap as chips, plus a fake babe for coral to wear , not sure how long that will last but as £6 im not going to worry, it looks nice  :D

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #49 on: September 25, 2010, 10:19:16 PM
I like Casio watches a lot, I've got 2 G-shocks, 1 Sea-Pathfinder and 1 Pro-Trek.  See pictures below  ;).

First my GW-9200-1ER Riseman (solar powered and wave ceptor), I've attached a small compass to the wrist-band to make this a full ABC watch (Altitude/Barometer/Compass).  This is the watch I wear when I go out in the field, or in the Ardennes-forests.

My SPF40T Titanium Sea-Pathfinder, for well-dressed occasions and my PRW-1300-Y-1VER with negative-display (solar powered and wave ceptor) for casual wear  8).

And last but not least, my oldest G-Shock, a DW-6900 from 1997, I still wear this one every day at work.

spam Offline Doraemon

• A man can never have enough watches... and tools!
Reply #50 on: May 06, 2011, 06:57:21 AM

paul

paul

well as far as ive read from 96 the DW5600e that i have now was the first to have composite fiberglass module casing instead of stainless steel , they say the new version is lighter and stronger, so i guess a overall improvement, evolution  :D

To add on, the DW-5000C and DW-5600E had differences in functions. But the most noticeable under use was that the DW-5000C used a micro-light (a mini light bulb) to illuminate the display whereas the DW-5600E employed electro luminescence technology. This, together with the different sized battery reduced the battery life from 10 yrs for the DW-5000C to about 3 yrs on the DW-5600E. This of course was a conservative estimate, as there have been reports of DW-5000C running on its original battery after 20 yrs!

Whether or not the DW-5600E is better is subjective. Some find the stainless steel DW-5000C hefty (feels higher quality), some find it heavy. It's all up to individual preference.

Looking at it from a multi-tool perspective, one could say that the DW-5000C is much like the original Leatherman PST, and the DW-5600E a Leatherman Blast. The Blast is like the successor of the PST; it comes with Zytel inserts, new plier head, arguably better, but many people still prefer the PST.
You have the right tool... but do you know how to use it the right way?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 11:12:15 AM

paul

paul

To add on, the DW-5000C and DW-5600E had differences in functions. But the most noticeable under use was that the DW-5000C used a micro-light (a mini light bulb) to illuminate the display whereas the DW-5600E employed electro luminescence technology. This, together with the different sized battery reduced the battery life from 10 yrs for the DW-5000C to about 3 yrs on the DW-5600E. This of course was a conservative estimate, as there have been reports of DW-5000C running on its original battery after 20 yrs!

Whether or not the DW-5600E is better is subjective. Some find the stainless steel DW-5000C hefty (feels higher quality), some find it heavy. It's all up to individual preference.

Looking at it from a multi-tool perspective, one could say that the DW-5000C is much like the original Leatherman PST, and the DW-5600E a Leatherman Blast. The Blast is like the successor of the PST; it comes with Zytel inserts, new plier head, arguably better, but many people still prefer the PST.

a good way of putting it mate, although i was collecting old casios and those old lights are nothing compared to the newer type of lights,but i agree i love the PST style as i did the old dw5000

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: May 06, 2011, 08:05:37 PM
Am I the only person on this forum that doesn't see the appeal of a Casio G-Shock watch?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #53 on: May 06, 2011, 08:13:54 PM
Am I the only person on this forum that doesn't see the appeal of a Casio G-Shock watch?
Definitely..  ;) :D

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #54 on: May 06, 2011, 08:37:15 PM

I got my G-Shock DW-5600-E "used" (quite misdescribed, as even after over a year of wearing, it still appears brand new) for $25 or $30; one of the best purchases I've made. :tu:

spam Offline Doraemon

• A man can never have enough watches... and tools!
Reply #55 on: May 06, 2011, 09:48:01 PM
I like Casio watches a lot, I've got 2 G-shocks, 1 Sea-Pathfinder and 1 Pro-Trek.  See pictures below  ;).

First my GW-9200-1ER Riseman (solar powered and wave ceptor), I've attached a small compass to the wrist-band to make this a full ABC watch (Altitude/Barometer/Compass).  This is the watch I wear when I go out in the field, or in the Ardennes-forests.

My SPF40T Titanium Sea-Pathfinder, for well-dressed occasions and my PRW-1300-Y-1VER with negative-display (solar powered and wave ceptor) for casual wear  8).

And last but not least, my oldest G-Shock, a DW-6900 from 1997, I still wear this one every day at work.

Hi Top-Gear-24, nice Riseman you've got. I like how the red pointer of the compass matches the red 'eye' on the watch.  :tu:

Edit: pic removed for neatness

a good way of putting it mate, although i was collecting old casios and those old lights are nothing compared to the newer type of lights,but i agree i love the PST style as i did the old dw5000

Hi Zed, I just read your thread on the watch project. Very good effort. Well done.  :salute:

Hi jekostas, have you tried them? They are quite suitable for rough work. I had the perception that the multi-tool community would enjoy/appreciate them more than anyone else. For work purposes I mean.

There are also collectors of G-Shock. Then again people will collect anything. From buttons to tractors. To multi-tools.  ;)

I got my G-Shock DW-5600-E "used" (quite misdescribed, as even after over a year of wearing, it still appears brand new) for $25 or $30; one of the best purchases I've made. :tu:

Yes, they are good value for money. I recently started wearing mine too. Enjoy!  :tu:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:57:24 PM by Doraemon »
You have the right tool... but do you know how to use it the right way?

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #56 on: May 06, 2011, 10:12:46 PM
@ Doraemon: 

Thanks, like I said, I like them a lot, and that small compass on the wristband doesn't only go very well with the rest of the watch, it's a compass from the brand "Silva", so it works very well also   8).

And there are indeed a lot of people who collect these watches, I'm a member on a G-Shock forum myself (my problem ...  I like G-Shock watches, Leatherman Tools , Vic Kives, ...  :ahhh).

Here's a link to the G-Shock Forum (I hope it's okay to post it here  :think:):

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/

Lots of info and reviews to read there  ;).

Greetings  :salute:.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #57 on: May 06, 2011, 10:27:31 PM
Not really my thing either if I'm honest.  Great watches I'm sure, but not my style.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #58 on: May 06, 2011, 10:58:17 PM
I can appreciate them- I've had two, but they aren't really for me.  My Seiko and MTO watch see the most wrist time these days.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #59 on: May 06, 2011, 11:01:23 PM
I have to rephrase... I EDC my DW-5600E, but I doubt I'll ever buy anything bigger than that.  ;)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%