Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Bike

Offline Abstraction

New Bike
on: May 04, 2010, 07:50:17 PM
Hey guys, i've got £650 to spend on a new bike from evans (has to be evans unfortuanately - cycle to work scheme) and was looking at this.

I've got 3 miles of footpaths and muddy roads followed by just under 9 miles on roads, a good fit do you think or should i look at something else? Not riden a bike for almost 10 years so not really clued up on technical specs!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: New Bike
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 07:59:04 PM
how about this, ive had a few cannondale's and all been great, nice spec on that for the price as well,  :tu: only thin i would upgrade in the end is the brakes but they would do fine,

paul

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/trail-sl-5-2010-mountain-bike-ec020208

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 08:03:08 PM
pinnacle peak s are quite good i have to do a bit off off roading and cycle pathing to get to work
I

Offline Abstraction

Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 08:13:25 PM
how about this, ive had a few cannondale's and all been great, nice spec on that for the price as well,  :tu: only thin i would upgrade in the end is the brakes but they would do fine,

paul

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/trail-sl-5-2010-mountain-bike-ec020208

Looks nice but the problem with that bike is the tyres and gearing are made for off road and i've been warned that i'll get really annoyed riding that those for too long on roads as they're just so slow and heavy with slower gearing than a hybrid like the specialized.  I tried out a few of the canondale big boy series and didn't like the smaller tyres on those either, though a workmate has been pushing me towards cannondale as well so there must definitely be something good to the brand! 

Offline Abstraction

Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:17:43 PM
pinnacle peak s are quite good i have to do a bit off off roading and cycle pathing to get to work

I was looking at this from pinnacle

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pinnacle/borealis-40-2010-hybrid-bike-ec021936

But wasn't sure if it would handle the regular off road riding and whether i'd be comfortable riding it there. The peak i wasn't sure about for the same reasons as the cannondale, not sure how it would perform on the road!

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:20:03 PM
its alright one the road :) i ride the 1.0 to work each day which is ,mainly a cycle path but its still tarmac. its just not as quick as a road bike obviously, with the right tyre im sure it would be a great choice
I

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 06:10:39 AM
Hey guys, i've got £650 to spend on a new bike from evans (has to be evans unfortuanately - cycle to work scheme) and was looking at this.

I've got 3 miles of footpaths and muddy roads followed by just under 9 miles on roads, a good fit do you think or should i look at something else? Not riden a bike for almost 10 years so not really clued up on technical specs!

Let's break this down and look at it this from a practical stand point:

3 miles of footpaths and muddy roads - this sounds almost like Paris-Roubaix.. or cyclocross. Footpaths and muddy roads do not require suspension. In fact, suspension would be just extra weight to pedal along. They also do not require big heavy knobby tires for much the same reason.

9 miles on roads - for the bulk of the trip you will want a true road bike. Three times as much distance on roads as off says it all to me. A mountain bike or mountain based "hybrid" bike would be a pain to ride for 3/4 of your trip. Buzzing knobby tires on pavement creating drag... low pressure rolling resistance... and the technical trail riding position making your butt hurt... suspension that isn't needed.. etc.

You need a bike that is 3/4 road bike and 1/4 cyclocross bike. You want something with 700 x 35 tires (possibly with a little bit of knobby), full fenders, a headlight, strong wheels (32-36 spokes 3 crossed on solid touring hubs), a triple chainring in case these foot paths have any climbs, and attachment points for a rack so you can carry your stuff.

Flat bars would be a good idea on the trail, and they would be fine on the road (not as aero as drop bars, but you needn't worry about that now). Disc brakes would be good too, but are not truly necessary. Full sized V brakes or proper canti brakes would be just fine.

In some cases, disc brakes can interfere with mounting fenders and racks, so keep that in mind.

The Pinnacle looks nice, but it has a few problems..

1) it has a carbon fork. This is rather silly for this sort of bike, and I wouldn't ride carbon up front on a commuter, especially one that sees some trails. Go with a steel fork.

2) Mini V brakes.. can't fit fenders under these. Not fenders worth having anyway, and not the sort of fenders one needs for a bike that is going to take you to work on "muddy roads".

Now... on to some bikes:

The Treks seem to be the best deals out there! And they should all have mounts for racks and fenders.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/71-fx-2010-hybrid-bike-ec016501

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/t30-2009-hybrid-bike-ec001494

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/73-fx-2010-hybrid-bike-ec016510

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/7500-2009-hybrid-bike-ec016516

And these Konas are hot..  but you may have the rack and fender issues... maybe. You'd have to look up reviews of these models online.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dew-deluxe-2009-hybrid-bike-ec017270

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dr-dew-2009-hybrid-bike-ec017272

And do remember that you will not want to spend the whole lot on the bike itself. You'll need a lot of accessories to go with it.

Helmet
Gloves
Pump (two actually.. one for the garage with a pressure gauge, and one for the bike itself so you aren't walking 6 miles home).
Spare tube
Rack
Fenders
headlight
Panniers (perhaps)
A better saddle (perhaps)
Better pedals (perhaps)
Water bottle
Patch kit
Bike multitool
red flashy light
bell (yes, you need one on a commuter bike. Get an "Incredibell")
cyclist's rain jacket (unlike a regular rain jacket, it covers your lower back.. which is exposed when leaning forward on a bike)

Hope this helps!

Go with a Trek and buy all the gear to go with it. You'll be happy and dry instead of broken down and soaked to the skin.

G.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:26:59 AM by glorn »
G

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 07:49:33 AM
I'm with Glorn on this :)

How about one of these, then you've the best of both worlds :)

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/tricross-2010-cyclo-cross-bike-ec020084
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 09:26:00 AM

paul

Looks nice but the problem with that bike is the tyres and gearing are made for off road and i've been warned that i'll get really annoyed riding that those for too long on roads as they're just so slow and heavy with slower gearing than a hybrid like the specialized.  I tried out a few of the canondale big boy series and didn't like the smaller tyres on those either, though a workmate has been pushing me towards cannondale as well so there must definitely be something good to the brand! 

the problem is i use a road bike for the roads and a mountain bike off road, But i use my MTB as much on roads as off, after all these years of cycling ive fiddled with gearing no end and TBh spinning a gear is ok and using the higher gears on a MTB on tarmac is ok, its when people use the very low gears on MTB that you over spin, but there are a lot of hybrids out there, for me though i would rather stick slicks on a MTB and possibly fit a bigger outer chainring ,

paul

Offline Abstraction

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 09:56:50 AM
I've been recommended cyclo-cross bikes by someone else but i checked out this raleigh when i was in the store and found the riding position and handlebars rather daunting, i just didn't seem to sit naturally compared to the hybrids i tried, although that's probably just where I'm not used to it.  I've also been warned that i might find non-flat handlebars a bit tough to use off road given the fact i've not riden in yonks and when i did it was an old heavy mountain bike.

As for the budget, I should have said i had more left over for things like that  :D  I've got £850 total so roughly split it £650 for a bike and £200 for accessories like locks etc which I figure should be enough, and of course there's budget for a bike multi in there - what do you think my next thread was going to be about once i'd decided on a bike  :tu:

Thanks a lot for the very informative post Glorn, much appreciated!!  I've looked at all of the options there, but tbh as i don't have the first clue about individual components or brand names they seem pretty similar to me!  I think that's probably what drew me to the Crosstrail, i could easily 'see' that the tires were meant for the best of both world, that it had lockable suspension so it could work on different surfaces and that going for the comp version would be a benefit with disc brakes, but away from that everything is pretty samey in the hybrid category!

The danger of course though is that i'll see things and assume they're an improvement when they're not though, like it seems i've done with the suspension. I assumed locking suspension would be a real boon on the bumpy parts of my journey but you're not the first person to say it's completely unnecessary weight! How much difference does the weight make though, compared to the different tyres for example?  I don't tend to travel light (I carry a fairly bulky backpack with me) so doubt i'll be the fastest rider in the world regardless but is 3kg going to make a noticeable difference to my pace over 12 miles?  I think i should add that the footpaths and muddy roads are in pretty poor shape, lots of potholes, nasty slops to them at moments and not what i'd look at and think it would be ideal for thin tires, but you're totally right about the majority of it being on road which is why i was sticking to looking at hybrid style bikes rather than mountain bikes.

I'll make sure to try some Trek bikes out when i go in on Tuesday though, see if i feel any of them :)

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 10:27:07 AM
 :rofl: I think mike knows my cyclo cross love, i didnt think about this kind of bike as generally pretty specialized, but a great choice and the Raleigh looks spot on , the only thing you might find is it will have a harsh ride as alloy is very stiff and not a problem on a cyclo cross bike as ridden for lightness and ease of carry, but would be my first choice especial in Titanium  :D but would cost a bomb  :-\

paul

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 06:18:27 PM
I own aluminum, titanium, and steel frames... I have ridden them all extensively over the years.

I can honestly say that the "aluminum is harsh" tale is a bunch of hooey. So is the "ti is noodly" and the "steel fatigues and goes soft after a long time on the road".

A well made frame makes the most out of the material it was designed for. It depends on geometry, tubing diameter, tube wall thickness... etc...

And tires make or break a bikes "smoothness" more than anything else other than frame and fork geometry.

If it is designed properly, any frame material will "feel" just fine. The rest is all in one's head. The smoothest bike I have ever ridden was a Cannondale.

G.
G

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 06:27:27 PM
I own aluminum, titanium, and steel frames... I have ridden them all extensively over the years.

I can honestly say that the "aluminum is harsh" tale is a bunch of hooey. So is the "ti is noodly" and the "steel fatigues and goes soft after a long time on the road".

A well made frame makes the most out of the material it was designed for. It depends on geometry, tubing diameter, tube wall thickness... etc...

And tires make or break a bikes "smoothness" more than anything else other than frame and fork geometry.

If it is designed properly, any frame material will "feel" just fine. The rest is all in one's head. The smoothest bike I have ever ridden was a Cannondale.

G.

i liked steel as a touring bike as easy to fix in the middle of nowhere, ali and Ti being harder if not impossible to fix, ive found over these years that different material is good foe certain cycling, track racing i liked ali as very stiff for sprinting, i had carbon fiber but found at that time it stiff in the seat and back end and flexy in the bottom bracket,for mountain biking i had ali full suspension as stiffness not a issue , for bmx racing i pretty much always had 4130 as reliable, i used a few ali frames but was always waiting for them to crack, they didnt though,cheap ali frames i fing still tend to be heavy and stiff  :-\ again you get what you pay for, i always found cannondales a great ride, but nothing compares to a few custom steel road and track bikes i rode in the early 90's.

ok Ti is out as cost to much and not needed,

steel is good if good quality , i found tange prestige great for MTB'ing
ali well 7005 is ok, 6061 is ok, there is so many ali frames around now there all pretty much alike but get a lot better with price, but yes a harsher ride,

for me its steel,  :D plus last longer,   

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 06:38:45 PM
On the potholes, suspension might be nice. But the best way to ride a commuter bike is to do all that you can to avoid technical terrain.

Why?

Well, you see... a commuter bike presumes you are on the way to work or on the way home. Therefore, you do not have the luxury of risking a break down due to riding anything remotely hardcore. This bike needs to be reliable before all else, and your riding needs to be quick and conservative. Turning your front wheel into a taco on the way to work because you rode a suspension equipped hybrid over a pothole is not in line with that mindset.

A commuter bike and the rider must be cautious and alert. You avoid obstacles that could injure you or damage your bike. You ride a bike that is the most practical for the trip that you can possibly find.

Save aggressive riding for the weekends when you can afford to break down because you took a proper MTB over some rocks.

Is a shock all that heavy? No, modern shocks in and of themselves are not that heavy. But... the weight is right up front, attached to your steerer. Even with a lock out, this is going to give you a sluggish front end on the road. Also, most suspension forks have fairly slack angles, whereas road forks are usually a bit more steep. Steeper equals quicker turning. Not so steep that you are all twitchy like a track bike, but steep enough that you can flick the bike hard left and avoid being crushed by a lorry, yeah?

The last thing I want on my bike on the road is sluggishness. I have enough of that in my person.

Big tires will help you cope with the trails. Like 700 x 38 if they will fit. And they do make tires that are make for road and trail. You might not find the perfect bike off the shelf. It will likely be a compromise, and you will change out the tires, seat, etc.

Yes, I do think you should avoid drop bars for now. Find a bike with a flat bar or mustache bars.

As for components... better to invest in the frame and wheels. Components can be changed out as they wear out. For you right now, anything from Shimano or Suntour or Diacompe or Tektro  or SRAM will be fine. Bontrager, Ritchey, Aheadset (or Cane Creek), these are all good too.

This is a commuter bike, so exotic components are not what you want anyway. You want tough, durable, reliable, and cheap to replace. Most of the high end components are merely lighter. They use less material, and are often short lived. You want good components, not race kit.

Your frameset, wheels, and tires are where you really want to put your money. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:41:54 PM by glorn »
G

Offline Abstraction

Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 07:05:06 PM
On the potholes, suspension might be nice. But the best way to ride a commuter bike is to do all that you can to avoid technical terrain.

Why?

Well, you see... a commuter bike presumes you are on the way to work or on the way home. Therefore, you do not have the luxury of risking a break down due to riding anything remotely hardcore. This bike needs to be reliable before all else, and your riding needs to be quick and conservative. Turning your front wheel into a taco on the way to work because you rode a suspension equipped hybrid over a pothole is not in line with that mindset.

A commuter bike and the rider must be cautious and alert. You avoid obstacles that could injure you or damage your bike. You ride a bike that is the most practical for the trip that you can possibly find.

Save aggressive riding for the weekends when you can afford to break down because you took a proper MTB over some rocks.

Is a shock all that heavy? No, modern shocks in and of themselves are not that heavy. But... the weight is right up front, attached to your steerer. Even with a lock out, this is going to give you a sluggish front end on the road. Also, most suspension forks have fairly slack angles, whereas road forks are usually a bit more steep. Steeper equals quicker turning. Not so steep that you are all twitchy like a track bike, but steep enough that you can flick the bike hard left and avoid being crushed by a lorry, yeah?

The last thing I want on my bike on the road is sluggishness. I have enough of that in my person.

Big tires will help you cope with the trails. Like 700 x 38 if they will fit. And they do make tires that are make for road and trail. You might not find the perfect bike off the shelf. It will likely be a compromise, and you will change out the tires, seat, etc.

Yes, I do think you should avoid drop bars for now. Find a bike with a flat bar or mustache bars.

As for components... better to invest in the frame and wheels. Components can be changed out as they wear out. For you right now, anything from Shimano or Suntour or Diacompe or Tektro  or SRAM will be fine. Bontrager, Ritchey, Aheadset (or Cane Creek), these are all good too.

This is a commuter bike, so exotic components are not what you want anyway. You want tough, durable, reliable, and cheap to replace. Most of the high end components are merely lighter. They use less material, and are often short lived. You want good components, not race kit.

Your frameset, wheels, and tires are where you really want to put your money. 

Great stuff :) So what is it about the suspension on this Trek you recommended that would make it more suitable than the crosstrial in terms of reliability?  Though they are out of stock of that particular one though, as well as the 2010 version anyway  >:(

Also this Kona you mentioned has the same tires as the Crosstrail, so is the only advantage the fact it has no suspension and is therefore lighter or am i missing something?

So compared to the crosstrial would you say one of these
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-elite-2010-hybrid-bike-ec020016
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kona/dew-deluxe-2010-hybrid-bike-ec021772

would be a better fit? Looking through the Trek options i can't really pick one that isn't discontinued and which really grabs my attention

I remember looking at this one in store and it was lovely, but the assistant said that riding it down a bumpy path every day would be folly, as it was really not designed for anything other than road use, and this one looks much better but like a lot of the treks is out of stock.  Also the problem with Trek bikes is they are ship to store only and getting it home from london would be tricky, as I can't take the bike on national rail during rush hour which is the only time i'd be able to pick it up unless i took the day off work just to go get it.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 07:36:54 PM
ok that trek is nice but ive never had any luck with that type of spoke pattern, i found they are stiff and break

both those Konas would be perfect,

that suspension on the treck is similiar to the headshock on cannondales but more basic i would give that a miss as wouldnt do much,

paul

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 07:40:29 PM
Honestly, I didn't notice that the one Trek had an integrated suspension fork. My mistake.

The other Trek you posted has a sort of radially laced wheel that would be murder on anything short of smooth pavement.

I LOVE the Kona. Absolutely love it. That is a red hot ride, and perfect for what you want to do, if...

And I bought my wife an older Sirrus that has been nothing but great. It would also be ideal, if...

If...

They both can accept full fenders. Ask the bike shop if they can install SKS brand or Planet Bike brand full fenders on it for you. And by "full" I mean they are not just a thing attached to your seat post. They hug the tires and are attached to the frame and fork.

If they can do that, then it looks like we have found you a bike.

The Kona would be my personal choice though.

Now you need a Timbuk II messenger bag for your stuff. Racks are notoriously difficult to mount to bikes with disc brakes.

G.

G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 07:45:05 PM
Ah, the Sirrus has mini V brakes like my wife's. Not going to get fenders in there.

Ask the shop to put fenders on the Kona and ride happy!
G

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 07:52:20 PM
Ah, the Sirrus has mini V brakes like my wife's. Not going to get fenders in there.

yeah i agree try and get everything done in the shop even things you might want changed, ive had pedals ,saddles,grips,tyres , all sorts changed before , and no proper everyday bike should have no mudguards  :tu:

paul

Offline Abstraction

Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 08:10:53 PM

Cheers mate, i'll find a store that stocks them and see what i think to it :)

The problem with getting it fitted in store, is i don't think i can  ??? I live well outside of London where all the Evans stores are, so home delivery is my only option and as i say, i won't be able to get the train into or out of london because they don't let you take bikes on rush hour trains which is the only time i'll be able to go in or out of london.  I don't think they even sell specialized bikes in store, they're home delivery only, although i think you can buy the Kona there and then. 

My plan was to pop down on tuesday and have a test ride of the bikes I'm looking at and if one seemed to fit the bill i'll order it online the next day with all associated accessories.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 08:38:09 PM

The problem with getting it fitted in store, is i don't think i can  ??? I live well outside of London where all the Evans stores are, so home delivery is my only option and as i say, i won't be able to get the train into or out of london because they don't let you take bikes on rush hour trains which is the only time i'll be able to go in or out of london.  I don't think they even sell specialized bikes in store, they're home delivery only, although i think you can buy the Kona there and then. 

My plan was to pop down on tuesday and have a test ride of the bikes I'm looking at and if one seemed to fit the bill i'll order it online the next day with all associated accessories.

can you not ask while checking it store, is it cheaper online as my brother did the same work scheme and got it cheaper from the shop, out of interest where abouts outside of London is it

paul

Offline Abstraction

Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 08:48:17 PM

can you not ask while checking it store, is it cheaper online as my brother did the same work scheme and got it cheaper from the shop, out of interest where abouts outside of London is it

paul

They're all over london, i had to go to three last time because they all have different stock, but while i might be able to get it in store if i found the right one i wouldn't be able to get it home on the train, that's the issue :(

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 08:52:28 PM

paul

They're all over london, i had to go to three last time because they all have different stock, but while i might be able to get it in store if i found the right one i wouldn't be able to get it home on the train, that's the issue :(

it annoys me as last year me and a group of friends do a regular ride around london on bmx bikes for children in need, i got the train from poole in dorset to waterloo, they gave me a ticket to get to epping but i wasnt aload on any trains  :ahhh to say i was P'ed off, i got there in the end but had to ride most og london to the right train station, could someone not give you a lift or do you live far out of london, and yes i know its a pain ti drive around london  :-\

Offline Abstraction

Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 09:43:47 PM
I live far from london unfortunately, my company is london based which is why we have the tie up with evans but i work in our offices well outside of it. I'll go in and see what they recommend I guess.  I can call ahead and get them to bring in the two bikes i want to try for a £50 fully refundable deposit so might get my closest store to bring in the crosstrial and Kona Dew to see which one i prefere with a decent test ride. 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 11:51:53 PM
I live far from london unfortunately, my company is london based which is why we have the tie up with evans but i work in our offices well outside of it. I'll go in and see what they recommend I guess.  I can call ahead and get them to bring in the two bikes i want to try for a £50 fully refundable deposit so might get my closest store to bring in the crosstrial and Kona Dew to see which one i prefere with a decent test ride. 

yeah have a good look first, bikes are very personal things, i like drop bars as like to have more than one hand position and ive even had them on MTB's, but risers are good for general use and work,ive had 2 konas and both been great the last one i sold last year and i got it in 1995 , i would say my best bike ive ever had and regret selling it but had no choice, good luck and let us know how it goes  :tu:

paul

Offline Abstraction

Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 10:50:21 AM
My mind may have been made up for me - phoned the store to make sure they had everything in stock i wanted on monday but they cant get the crosstrail in for at least a week and can't get the Kona in until tuesday, so i'm taking a trip down there tuesday to check out the Kona, if i like it i'll get it, otherwise i'll be confused :p

One thing which surprised me though is he recommended a 54cm frame. I'm only 5'7"-5'8" and the Kona sizing chart says i'd need 18"-19" so 45cm-48.2cm. Even given the footnote that Kona frames come up smaller than they claim (Notes:The Dew models have a compact frame size that come up 5cm smaller than stated. E.g. 56cm frame = 51cm) that's still really big! I was expecting the 49 or 52cm frames.

Hope he knows what he's talking about as otherwise i'll have wasted the trip into london to try a bike which is way too big!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 01:58:28 PM
My mind may have been made up for me - phoned the store to make sure they had everything in stock i wanted on monday but they cant get the crosstrail in for at least a week and can't get the Kona in until tuesday, so i'm taking a trip down there tuesday to check out the Kona, if i like it i'll get it, otherwise i'll be confused :p

One thing which surprised me though is he recommended a 54cm frame. I'm only 5'7"-5'8" and the Kona sizing chart says i'd need 18"-19" so 45cm-48.2cm. Even given the footnote that Kona frames come up smaller than they claim (Notes:The Dew models have a compact frame size that come up 5cm smaller than stated. E.g. 56cm frame = 51cm) that's still really big! I was expecting the 49 or 52cm frames.

Hope he knows what he's talking about as otherwise i'll have wasted the trip into london to try a bike which is way too big!

yeah sounds to big mate, im 5ft9 on a road bike i use a 49cm frame mountain bike 17inch i prefer to run a high saddle and low front on a road bike, and on a MTB i like a low Top tube for obvious clearance  :D

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 06:42:01 PM
What's your inseam?

I'd rather have a bike that is a tiny bit too big than one that is too small. Don't want to be all cramped up on a small bike. But I do agree that a 54 sounds too big for you.
G

Offline Abstraction

Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 07:16:35 PM
33" inseam, might call and ask him to get the smaller size in as well, it's another £50 deposit but i don't want to get there and find its the wrong size.  It's the last bike they have in 54cm so i assume the other sizes are going pretty fast as well.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: May 08, 2010, 07:36:39 PM
this is what the charts say

road bike
5'10" - 6'1"   31.5" - 33"   58 - 60 cm

mountain bike
5'11" - 6'2"   31" - 33"   19 to 21 inches

all sounds big to me, but a personal thing again, ive found i like a longer seat post and a longer stem, but then my MTB has a 15inch frame and with its 100mm forks on is still pretty high, and my road bike is 49cm and im about half a inch above the TT while straddling it,

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%