Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Bike

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Re: New Bike
Reply #60 on: May 15, 2010, 03:04:15 AM
Nope, it feels good once I'm riding it and i can keep an upright position while comfortably gripping the handlebars. I think it was just where i had the seat fractionally higher while riding it home it was just that little too much - i couldn't support myself properly on the peddles on the down stroke so had too much weight on the saddle, and had to shift to either side as i was pedaling which wouldn't have helped either!

Yep, it sounds like you have it fitting you well now.  :tu: If you ever notice your hips tilting up and down on each side, your saddle is too high.
Oh yeah, pay attention to that.  Major uncomfortable ouchie if your hips start tilting while pedaling...
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #61 on: May 21, 2010, 08:19:58 PM
is the biking still going well?
I

Offline Abstraction

Reply #62 on: May 21, 2010, 10:33:02 PM
Yeah it's going well cheers :) My bum has already got acclimatized to riding so just my legs which get knackered now which is the way i want it! Had a bit of a shock when i rode into london via the train the other day and attempted to navigate my way to a shop i needed to get to - riding in london is hellish!  Getting anywhere  requires a lot of recklessness and getting anywhere without being hit requires equal amounts of luck!  I was absolutely petrfied and won't be doing that again!

My normal countryside route is rantastic though :)  I've learnt that trying to go at 18mph the entire 10 miles is a bit much at this point but i've still been keeping a nice pace up and really enjoying the early morning pump!  The journey back isn't quite as much fun where i'm getting home shattered but i'll get used to it and it saves me geting home, changing, plodding about warming up and then running for an hour!

Few people at work have complimented me on the bike too, they were impressed by its set up!  Only worry for me is i'm moving home very soon to a house without a garage, so i'm not sure where i'll be able to safely store the bike.  It's rented so I won't be allowed to put an anchor point in and it's not the biggest place to my girlfriend will put her foot down about keeping it stored inside.  It's a bit of a conundrum!  I'm only down the road from where i am now and I've got some friends who will be able to lock it up in their garage for the short term but it's definately going to require a creative solution!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #63 on: May 21, 2010, 10:49:43 PM
+1 on the London cycling :D It's a bit hairy isn't it :o
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Abstraction

Reply #64 on: May 22, 2010, 08:34:33 AM
+1 on the London cycling :D It's a bit hairy isn't it :o

Massive understatement but yeah :-p I had no idea which lane I wanted most of the time and when I found out the chances of the cars letting me in were roughly on par with the odds of juggling a collection of chainsaws and walking away with only s fleshwound!

When I wasn't dodging traffic I tended to find myself in endless one way systems which took me in every direction but the way I wanted to go. I can only conclude that London roads have been designed as a solution to over population - if the cars don't get. you then you'll die of exhaustion,lost after being misdirected to the opposite side of the city.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: May 22, 2010, 10:05:55 AM
when i rode around london streets for many years i cut my bars very narrow so i could get through little gaps, but it is full on, a bit of a buzz, well was when i was younger  :D glad your still enjoying you r new wheels  :tu:

Offline Abstraction

Reply #66 on: May 27, 2010, 08:52:59 AM
Finally getting the hang of London after a few trips in  :D Now i actually know the route i can relax a lot more and just concentrate on the other nutters on the road - just worrying about the road rather than road+route is a massive improvement!  Bum has finally got 'broken in' now as well (perhaps i could use a better choice of words there  :P) so will be sticking with this saddle!

Been struggling with back pain this week though and i'm not sure if it's related to the bike or not.  when i'm riding there's absolutely no pain at all but the rest of the time, particularly sitting down for long stretches, I've got a really dull but quite painful ache along my mid-right back which is incredibly uncomfortable!  Ibuprophene+paracetamol doesn't seem to be doing the job and its been going on for over a week now, doc just said to rest it. Not sure if i should give the riding a break to see if that helps or if that would just be a case of adding 1+1 and jumping to conclusions, i mean it doesn't feel uncomfortable when i'm on the bike so i's a bit weird!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #67 on: May 27, 2010, 08:59:41 AM
Finally getting the hang of London after a few trips in  :D Now i actually know the route i can relax a lot more and just concentrate on the other nutters on the road - just worrying about the road rather than road+route is a massive improvement!  Bum has finally got 'broken in' now as well (perhaps i could use a better choice of words there  :P) so will be sticking with this saddle!

Been struggling with back pain this week though and i'm not sure if it's related to the bike or not.  when i'm riding there's absolutely no pain at all but the rest of the time, particularly sitting down for long stretches, I've got a really dull but quite painful ache along my mid-right back which is incredibly uncomfortable!  Ibuprophene+paracetamol doesn't seem to be doing the job and its been going on for over a week now, doc just said to rest it. Not sure if i should give the riding a break to see if that helps or if that would just be a case of adding 1+1 and jumping to conclusions, i mean it doesn't feel uncomfortable when i'm on the bike so i's a bit weird!

i suffer with back problems due to a back injurie many years ago, i did try a suspension seat post for a while to take the shock out of the road/bumps etc, helped a bit, im sure you will get use to it in the end and your back will adjust, it might just be the sudden change to riding a bike,  :-\

Reply #68 on: May 27, 2010, 04:53:49 PM
Are you properly warming up/down mate ???

I've never had to do it, but I know lot's of other people do.

Offline Abstraction

Reply #69 on: May 28, 2010, 06:15:15 PM

i suffer with back problems due to a back injurie many years ago, i did try a suspension seat post for a while to take the shock out of the road/bumps etc, helped a bit, im sure you will get use to it in the end and your back will adjust, it might just be the sudden change to riding a bike,  :-\

Yeah i'll sit out and see if it gets better i guess, not working till monday now so will see how the weekend goes but it's getting annoying now. Just can't see how it's directly related to riding the bike though, it's too off to one side so he pressures on my back just don't add up to this kind of back pain in my mind.

Are you properly warming up/down mate ???

I've never had to do it, but I know lot's of other people do.

Nope, no warming up at all, i tend to start off slow enough i really shouldn't need to, as i'll never jump off into a full on sprint.  I'll warm up if i'm going for a run but cycling is so low impack it shouldnt be needed. IThat said I'm regularly stretching my back this week anyway so it should be even less of an issue.

spam Offline GraysonK

• No Life Club
  • "When nothing goes right, go left"
Reply #70 on: June 06, 2010, 05:50:42 PM
Hi Abstraction,
Glad to hear you are liking the new wheels.  With regard to your back pain, is it in your middle back on the right side?  Did you get properly fitted to the bike, meaning you aren't reaching too far or anything?  I've had to fiddle with my bike a lot because of my back problems right now. I hope it feels better soon.  I know it's kind of hard, but when you're riding try to adjust your position frequently, sit up straighter occasionally, arch and round out your back a little bit, and let go with one hand every now and then...that seems to work for me.  :)
I have been recently diagnosed with ADOSS... Attention Deficit OH SOMETHING SHINY!

Offline Abstraction

Reply #71 on: June 06, 2010, 09:47:41 PM
Cheers, i went to the doctors about my back and he sent me in for an x-ray.  Even after that he had no idea what was causing the back pain but its good i got it done as apparently the x-ray did show that i've had an infected lung for a 'considerable amount of time' and he was shocked i'd not noticed any problems with it ??? i occasionally got a sharp pain in my chest but assumed it was indigestion  :P

On penicillin for the lung and he also put me on anti-inflammatory painkillers for the back and told me to lay off the exercise. Now not ridden for about two weeks and i *think* it's improving though it's not very fast!  So frustrating though as the weather has been amazing and i really really want to ride again! Got another x-ray and a blood test this week and then i'm due to go back for a check up.

I'm pretty sure my riding position is ok, the pain is indeed under the right shoulder blade and runs down the lats/traps on that side.  I don't think i'm leaning too far as it's a short framed bike and i 'feel' fine riding it now i've moved the saddle but it's hard to tell really. As i say i can't directly attribute the pain to anything in particular as it just sort of appeared one day, but riding is the only new thing i've introduced to my routine recently. Though i'm starting to think i should have listened to those who told me to get a rack as when i commute in i do carry a fair bit of weight in my backpack. It's a good, well fitted, pack and has never caused me any problems walking with it before but everything i could rule out would be helpful. Can't afford to buy/get a rack fitted (i've head disc brakes make it a pain) at the moment though.

Reply #72 on: June 06, 2010, 10:02:50 PM

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #73 on: June 06, 2010, 10:03:55 PM
That's bad news Abstraction - hope you feel better soon mate :)
I used to come here a lot.

Offline Abstraction

Reply #74 on: June 07, 2010, 01:25:53 PM
How about a bar bag?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Bags_-_Handlebar/

I might look at getting one but i currently take a 33L rucksack with me and don't think i'll be able to cut things down enough to fit in a bar bag  :( even the biggest one on wiggle (Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Classic Large) is only 9L capacity.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: June 07, 2010, 01:33:22 PM
How about a bar bag?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/c/cycle/7/Bags_-_Handlebar/

I might look at getting one but i currently take a 33L rucksack with me and don't think i'll be able to cut things down enough to fit in a bar bag  :( even the biggest one on wiggle (Ortlieb Ultimate 5 Classic Large) is only 9L capacity.

how about something like this, i use a rack on the back of my audax daily rider with 1 pannier that was one of my front panniers,mine is big enough to fit my work shoes in a few magazines a tool kit, oh and a lock, plus no wait on your poor back,  :tu:

rack that fits to your seat post,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ETC-CHROME-QUICK-RELEASE-PANNIER-RACK-BIKE-CYCLE-RACK-/310209733996?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item4839f0e56c

some good panniers,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pair-black-karrimor-bike-panniers-/120577401211?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item1c12f9217b

Offline Abstraction

Reply #76 on: June 07, 2010, 03:14:41 PM

how about something like this, i use a rack on the back of my audax daily rider with 1 pannier that was one of my front panniers,mine is big enough to fit my work shoes in a few magazines a tool kit, oh and a lock, plus no wait on your poor back,  :tu:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ETC-CHROME-QUICK-RELEASE-PANNIER-RACK-BIKE-CYCLE-RACK-/310209733996?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item4839f0e56c

some good panniers,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/pair-black-karrimor-bike-panniers-/120577401211?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item1c12f9217b

Are those types of racks reliable?  I've got mounting points for a full rack on the Dr Dew so if a properly mounted one designed to fit disc brakes was worth waiting a month till i could afford to get one i'd do that otherwise that does look like a cheap option  :) Won't be able to ride for at least a week or two anyway and then i'm off to scotland so now i've accepted the fact i'm going to have to be idle for a little while there's no desperate rush.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #77 on: June 07, 2010, 03:40:44 PM

some good panniers,

Are those types of racks reliable?  I've got mounting points for a full rack on the Dr Dew so if a properly mounted one designed to fit disc brakes was worth waiting a month till i could afford to get one i'd do that otherwise that does look like a cheap option  :) Won't be able to ride for at least a week or two anyway and then i'm off to scotland so now i've accepted the fact i'm going to have to be idle for a little while there's no desperate rush.

ive not tried one but seen a few MTB'ers using them over the years with no problems, ive got rear rack mounts on my MTB but ive tried one of my spare racks and it dont fit over the disc brake caliper  :-\

Offline Abstraction

Reply #78 on: June 07, 2010, 04:44:01 PM
This is the cheapest option designed for disc brakes I've seen so far, which i could get next month but then I'll still need the panniers - the karrimor ones you linked to on ebay look a bargain if the price stays low but they're local pick up only from Nottingham which is no good for me unfortunately :( There are other cheapish options on ebay but they're all unbraded so given the new ones on wiggle and evans are £50+ i assume they're not the sort of quality which is going to last!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #79 on: June 07, 2010, 05:24:24 PM
This is the cheapest option designed for disc brakes I've seen so far, which i could get next month but then I'll still need the panniers - the karrimor ones you linked to on ebay look a bargain if the price stays low but they're local pick up only from Nottingham which is no good for me unfortunately :( There are other cheapish options on ebay but they're all unbraded so given the new ones on wiggle and evans are £50+ i assume they're not the sort of quality which is going to last!

that is similar to mine in the shed  :think: but it doesnt fit, i would rather try in store before i brought it  :tu:

Offline Abstraction

Reply #80 on: June 07, 2010, 05:38:47 PM
Yeah i've got a free 6 week tune up from evans coming up anyway so when i take the bike in i might ask what they have :) 

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #81 on: June 07, 2010, 05:45:16 PM
Yeah i've got a free 6 week tune up from evans coming up anyway so when i take the bike in i might ask what they have :) 

:tu:  looking again at that pic of the rack there seems to be a little extra bit where the bolt goes in, that would work on most racks as i thought that myself, but if you had a fair bit of weight on the rack it would bent the bolt,  :-\

Reply #82 on: June 07, 2010, 07:31:15 PM
All the rack's that clip to your seat post are pretty lame when it comes to weight limits :-\

My old Topeak one was only rated to 6kg, and it cost about £40 for the rack alone :(

Offline Abstraction

Reply #83 on: June 07, 2010, 09:58:43 PM
alright, sounds like checking in evans is the best bet then  :) it'll be pricier than wiggle but at least i'll be able to check there and then that it will  actually fit!

Reply #84 on: June 07, 2010, 10:02:52 PM
Just jot down your option's then Wiggle-it :D

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #85 on: June 11, 2010, 12:52:25 AM
First off, I've been away from the thread, so...

Congrats on the bike! Looks great!

Second... I have a Topeak rack on my touring bike, and it is very good for the price. Looks very much like the one you linked above. So I'd advise you to go for it.

And I agree that seatpost racks are rather poor performers. Skip that option.

G.
G

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #86 on: June 11, 2010, 01:02:58 AM
I wonder if the back pain is related to the lung infection?

That whole "pain transference" thing?

The biking has you taking big breaths and all... lungs expanding... shows up in the back as pain.

If rest doesn't kick it, try lowering your stem a bit or raising your seat slightly. This will put a bit more weight on your arms and off your bottom. Or the opposite for that matter. You never know. My new bikes always need the seat raised slightly at least twice after the initial fit. And I tend to lower the bars as well.

I can tell you one thing that always made me smile even on the most grueling, rainy, cold, miserable ride home:

"This still beats sitting in traffic."

Cars are coffins. There's your new mantra.

:tu:
G

Reply #87 on: June 11, 2010, 07:48:12 AM

The biking has you taking big breaths and all... lungs expanding... shows up in the back as pain.

If rest doesn't kick it, try lowering your stem a bit or raising your seat slightly. This will put a bit more weight on your arms and off your bottom. Or the opposite for that matter. You never know. My new bikes always need the seat raised slightly at least twice after the initial fit. And I tend to lower the bars as well.

I can tell you one thing that always made me smile even on the most grueling, rainy, cold, miserable ride home:

Couldn't agree more mate :tu:

Offline Abstraction

Reply #88 on: June 11, 2010, 08:35:26 PM

I'm due to go into Evans next week and will definitely give the topeak rack a look [:)]

I'm pretty sure that the two problems (back and lung) are separate as I swim at least once a week and run at least twice a week, so if my lung was giving me any real problems i'd have noticed it well before now - the doctor says the scarring which showed up suggests i've been 'suffering' from it for a while now.  I've also just finished a weeks course of penicillin which should have cleared the lung up no problem, and yet the back ache is still there  :(

I've got a trip to do tomorrow which i really really don't want to have to use the train for so am thinking of just riding and seeing how the back copes, fed up of having a bike i can't ride and it's not been getting worse/better without riding! 

As for cars being coffins i totally agree anyway, i don't drive and have no plans on taking it up! My girlfriend drives and when im going out with her she'll occassionally drive but i walk+public transport everywhere. The plan now is to cycle everywhere though!

Reply #89 on: June 11, 2010, 11:01:15 PM
Good man :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!