Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Si Bail

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Wenger Si Bail
on: May 05, 2010, 05:34:06 PM
Hi

Have been trying get a better info on the Bail, when it was attached on the rivet. I am talking about the 1961-2008 Alox version.
I asked Wenger and they replyed that they had always used the Bail on the Soldier, so? I have seen pictures of knives without so this can mean that people have taken them off or maybe it was available with both option? I am guessing in the air :)
Does anybody have any info? What is interesting is that for a Soldier this must have been a subject discussed,nicely showed on Sosak "Hollow rivet on the older models from the 50s. And before that a pouch, I guess this must have been a topic for Wenger SA when the new Alox model came in 1961, A way to make sure you will not loose your tool, anybody?
NM
picturebail.jpg
* picturebail.jpg (Filesize: 68.45 KB)
Get more tools

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Re: Wenger Si Bail
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 06:05:15 PM

Hi again
While i am at this topic and the dichotomy of the Bail, i can show that on my 96 model and the 94 model there is a change on the big flat scredriver with bottle opener.The 94 is thicker and with a scraper with more solid spring and some extra weight to it.
The 96 has the newer type with cable notch, Around 1993 Vic changed from my info. Atleast the hard facts on Wenger is that this changed in 95 or 96, I checked with another 94 and that is similar to the other from the same periode.
NM
two types.jpg
* two types.jpg (Filesize: 62.58 KB)
94vs 96.jpg
* 94vs 96.jpg (Filesize: 47.97 KB)
scraper.jpg
* scraper.jpg (Filesize: 74.97 KB)
Get more tools

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 10:17:36 PM
No info, but I'm a huge fan of the bail :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline cannonball

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:58:13 AM
Over a year ago, I asked a question about bails on the other forum. +B stated that bails were never issued on SI's. The military ones all had the plain hollow rivet. By the way, I have a 99 SI with all solid rivets.

Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 08:28:52 AM
Welcome to the forum mate :tu:

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 03:34:41 PM
Over a year ago, I asked a question about bails on the other forum. +B stated that bails were never issued on SI's. The military ones all had the plain hollow rivet. By the way, I have a 99 SI with all solid rivets.

Hi Welcome to the forum,

The Wenger military ones have Bail, maybe you refer to the Victorinox Soldier alox and its devolpment.
By the way if you have a pic of the Wenger with Solid rivets that would be ok so i can get a better overview i have seen something about that some place,

NM
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:30:06 PM by North Man »
Get more tools

us Offline cannonball

Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 05:41:19 PM
I remember distinctly +B saying the SI's issued to Swiss troops did not have bails. My camera is having troubles, can't get it to work.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 06:02:20 PM
I remember distinctly +B saying the SI's issued to Swiss troops did not have bails. My camera is having troubles, can't get it to work.

Hi
Thanks for info! I found an earlier topic in sosak and I to read that before, +B sad it is just an piece of metal on the rivet and besides that the same.
Not so important its a great model anyway :)
In +B newsletter 2009 there is some info, i kind of like the bail now and nice that Wenger put it on for us
http://www.inmentis.com/SwissBianco/SwissBianco_NL_2009_5.htm
NM
Get more tools

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 07:24:26 PM
Hi

I am not sure we are told the truth about the hollow rivets and bail, maybe the Swiss got a sence of humour about this, i still love you!
but i have read before about adjusting the sights or something on the rifle? When this was changed the rivet was not needed anymore. Why will the Swiss Army need a Si without the Bail, not strange that a knife sold outside the army has a bail attached on i hardly have any use to adjust a rifle(grenade launcher),

Tell me the truth!!!

NM

« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:41:27 PM by North Man »
Get more tools

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 07:45:15 PM

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 08:00:46 PM
Hi

Yes i have that to but i also got some more info and it say that until 1993 the Swiss had used the rifle grenade and it was changed to a undermount after 93.Hope i will not get in trouble for saying this  8)
Ww know that Vic changed to a solid rivet in 1994. I have also read some place that Vic used not completely hollow rivets some where not hollow through, it is a mace to find 100% sure info :)
NM
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:03:22 PM by North Man »
Get more tools

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 10:22:50 PM
HI people

No i should be on track and after finding some more info i hope to put this topic to rest.

Ok, that the Swiss Army do not use the Bail is for its purpose of serving to adjust the rifle grenade launcher sight as so can see in the Sosak tread.
If this was used from 1953-1993 may be corrected i do not know for sure, it covers two different Soldier models.
I would think the bail would serve for this purpose aswell? And most people think that a Si with bail is how it should look like in the Army but no the bail is missing, maybe it was used at some time that is for others to tell.
The knife is the same just outside the army it has the extra feature that is nice i must say. I got confused when Wenger sad they have always used the bail for the Si Soldier knife. I have seen the bail on models from the 70s
The Swiss Army knife has multi purpose use with more secrets perhaps?

P.s the rivet with hollow on the side is for other alox models.
NM
Get more tools

ca Offline gunga

Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 12:06:37 AM
On a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know where I can get a replacement bail for a lost one?

Offline Jack Russell

Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 08:12:38 PM
Hi

Have been trying get a better info on the Bail, when it was attached on the rivet. I am talking about the 1961-2008 Alox version.
I asked Wenger and they replyed that they had always used the Bail on the Soldier, so? I have seen pictures of knives without so this can mean that people have taken them off or maybe it was available with both option? I am guessing in the air :)
Does anybody have any info? What is interesting is that for a Soldier this must have been a subject discussed,nicely showed on Sosak "Hollow rivet on the older models from the 50s. And before that a pouch, I guess this must have been a topic for Wenger SA when the new Alox model came in 1961, A way to make sure you will not loose your tool, anybody?
NM
Could it be that all SI,s Issued to the swiss army had a bail These would have the WK. stamp on the square panel. Surplus Knives would be sold on the open market, these would have the panel but it would be left blank. But a lot of knives were made just for the open market. These would still be using up surplus tools but wouldnt have the panel. 
Pics show Si with hollow rivet
that would have been Issued with bail.
 SI with Unstamped panel.
 Si with bail no panel.
 SI with No panel and solid rivet.
Handwerker Made with surplus SI parts.
From L.toR. Year 86 87 96 97 95. What do you think?
Dsc01609.jpg
* Dsc01609.jpg (Filesize: 88.22 KB)
Dsc01608.jpg
* Dsc01608.jpg (Filesize: 67.72 KB)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 08:53:00 PM
On a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know where I can get a replacement bail for a lost one?

I want one as well, but have had no luck finding one.
I'm back!!

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 09:12:11 PM
Hi

NM
Could it be that all SI,s Issued to the swiss army had a bail These would have the WK. stamp on the square panel. Surplus Knives would be sold on the open market, these would have the panel but it would be left blank. But a lot of knives were made just for the open market. These would still be using up surplus tools but wouldnt have the panel.  
Pics show Si with hollow rivet
that would have been Issued with bail.
 SI with Unstamped panel.
 Si with bail no panel.
 SI with No panel and solid rivet.
Handwerker Made with surplus SI parts.
From L.toR. Year 86 87 96 97 95. What do you think?

Hi and welcome to forum.
If Wenger follow Vic and i should believe it does when it comes to the Waffen kontrolle markings. That was stopped in 1988. Since the army knew the quality to be so high that the controle was not needed. Atleast it makes sence.
The bail is very comon on the models sold outside the army and maybe they use spare parts and so on, i read some place that the date stamp on the tang can be trusted, it is the same knife sad by others. If the Swiss army wants the hollow rivet for the purpose of adjusting the grenade launcher i would be careful to say that the Swiss Army never uses the bail, we do not know? It is a very good Wenger for sure and i would like to know if other european countries have used this Army model? It was an imortant model for the company
P.s i have seen the flat surface on outside sold models, maybe others here can tell if WK was on civilian ones???
 :tu:
And ofcourse Nice collection
Nm
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 09:33:47 PM by North Man »
Get more tools

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 09:39:11 PM
Hi again

I see your 96 is with solid rivet, mine has bail. Maybe we must say that it will be to complicated to solve the riddle :)

We will breath more easy this way :cheers:

NM
Get more tools

Offline Jack Russell

Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 10:15:38 PM
Hi again

I see your 96 is with solid rivet, mine has bail. Maybe we must say that it will be to complicated to solve the riddle :)

We will breath more easy this way :cheers:

NM
I read somwhere that the WK stamp was put on by the swiss army so I would not expect any were sold out of the army. My 87 with the unstamped panel I supose would have been? I didnt know that they stopped the WK mark in 88 thanks for that info.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 10:22:09 PM
Hi

No problem :tu: thanks for yours aswell you are probarbly correct :)

And Wenger is probarbly going to hate us but i believe somebody here got some bails from Wenger in Switzerland, so if you people send them a email
maybe you will get them.

NM
Get more tools

ca Offline gunga

Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 12:27:26 AM
I tried emailing Wenger North AMerica, no joy, no bails.

Sheesh, wonder if I could make one with leftover brass rod from modding...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%