Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maxpedition Jumbo

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Maxpedition Jumbo
Reply #60 on: May 17, 2010, 02:58:16 AM
I carried a Fatboy S, but wanted more capacity.  I sold the Fatboy and bought a Jumbo S and started carrying more EDC gear.  That became too heavy and I experienced too many shortcomings in the design so I sold the Jumbo S, too.   :(

Then, I tried a few other Maxpedition bags, but found each lacking in one way or another.

I recently bought a Maxpediton Octa (fanny pack) and a Janus.  I can wear the Octa as a fanny pack on my waist or cross chest after adding the Janus' belt extension (without the Janus itself).   This has been working out best for me so far.  I prefer to open a zipper to access the main compartment instead of a buckle and large flap as found on the Fatboy, Jumbo, and others.

Another thing I like about the Octa is that it conforms to the shape of my hip when I carry it with the strap across my chest.  I can move the Octa to the front, side, or behind me and it is comfortable.   I've also been careful not to overload it with items I really don't need -- a temptation which made the other bags too heavy for comfort.

When I want to carry just a few items, the Janus carried on a  home made 2 inch nylon waist belt works wonderfully.

I don't carry a pack when I wear a multi-pocket vest.

Like other forum members, I'm always in search of the "perfect" bag or pack.   :D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 03:49:20 AM by parnass »
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #61 on: May 18, 2010, 01:57:48 PM
Yay my Jumbo is here :)

Pics later!
I used to come here a lot.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: May 18, 2010, 03:38:16 PM
OK, initial thoughts are that it's a LOT bigger than the Fatboy  it has surprised me, but in a good way. My stuff is rattling around inside, and I need to resist the temptation to fill it and end up back where I started, but with backache :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #63 on: May 18, 2010, 05:20:10 PM
Photographic evidence supports the above  :P

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #64 on: May 18, 2010, 06:01:09 PM
I hadn't realised there was such a size differential :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #65 on: May 18, 2010, 06:20:18 PM
Dave (or any other Fatboy owner at that), do you have any idea what good is a key hanger on your back? I still don't get why that thing is sewn on that part of the strap... ???

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #66 on: May 18, 2010, 06:36:21 PM
Dave (or any other Fatboy owner at that), do you have any idea what good is a key hanger on your back? I still don't get why that thing is sewn on that part of the strap... ???

Nope - totally useless IMO, especially if you want to attach something using the webbing immediately below it!

In fact, I attached a pair of Sliver Grippers on there, which I never used, but they have succeeded in scratching the paint on the Keyper  ::)

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #67 on: May 18, 2010, 06:36:48 PM
That's some difference Dave..  :o Now go fill it up..  :pok: :D

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #68 on: May 18, 2010, 06:55:47 PM
That looks great Dave  :tu:

As you said you'll have to be careful not to fill it to the max. Does it have a waist belt strap thing on the back?

As for the keyper, I don't think I could totally trust that to hold my car keys. I have had a whistle on it occasionally :)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #69 on: May 18, 2010, 06:59:17 PM
That's some difference Dave..  :o Now go fill it up..  :pok: :D

The spare capacity was one of the reasons for upgrading, so the last thing I want to do is stuff it with things! When full of water, that Sigg bottle is going to create a bit of weight too, so I'm thinking of getting a smaller neoprene bottle, but I'll try this for a while first. :)

I've just found a little pocket I can use for my iPhone, so I've stuck a patch on the front PALS for now. (The iPhone obviously can be pushed way down inside and doesn't need to poke out like shown). The PDA Holster with camera is occupying it's old spot, but actually sits a bit better than it did on the Fatboy due extra accessible webbing because its wider.

It's coming together now :D

I hadn't realised there was such a size differential :)

Neither did I, I'm pleasantly surprised, as that's what I wanted.

I shall keep the Fatboy for a while I think. The two bags are different enough in size that both could be useful depending where I'm going. The missus will be delighted :D

I've only got 6 Maxpedition bags, that's less handbags than she's got  ???

@Dan - yes - its the new version with the waist strap, which whilst actually a great aid to comfort, is probably a bit impractical for an about-town murse. So, I've removed it for now. That may change though as it makes an appreciable difference. :)

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #70 on: May 18, 2010, 07:08:50 PM
Re. the keyper: I thought as much... Well, it's about to become part of the "Fatcat paracord bottle pouch" project... :D

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #71 on: May 18, 2010, 07:12:05 PM

@Dan - yes - its the new version with the waist strap, which whilst actually a great aid to comfort, is probably a bit impractical for an about-town murse. So, I've removed it for now. That may change though as it makes an appreciable difference. :)

I've got the waist strap on my Fatboy; for general about-town usage I remove mine as well but for longer walks etc, it works very well.

I think the EDC / LEO Jumbo's have two holes at the back to tuck the straps in when not needed  :tu:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #72 on: May 18, 2010, 07:13:47 PM
Re. the keyper: I thought as much... Well, it's about to become part of the "Fatcat paracord bottle pouch" project... :D

Lol. You can actually buy Keypers separately as accessories, with velcro attachments. I have one here but haven't yet found a use for it. I know I will eventually though :D

gb Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #73 on: May 18, 2010, 07:20:55 PM
Yay my Jumbo is here :)

Pics later!

Enjoy Dave  :D
Gabba gabba hey!!

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #74 on: May 18, 2010, 07:39:51 PM

Lol. You can actually buy Keypers separately as accessories, with velcro attachments. I have one here but haven't yet found a use for it. I know I will eventually though :D

I have a vision: a paracord bottle pouch being attached at its bottom to the molle part of the Fatcat via Grimlocs, and at its top to that otherwise useless keyper. Let's see how that works... (once I get around making the pouch in the first place... :D)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #75 on: May 18, 2010, 07:49:23 PM
Sounds like it would work :)

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: May 19, 2010, 07:07:28 PM

I've got the waist strap on my Fatboy; for general about-town usage I remove mine as well but for longer walks etc, it works very well.

I think the EDC / LEO Jumbo's have two holes at the back to tuck the straps in when not needed  :tu:

I missed this post last night Dan!

My Fatboy is the old type with the velcro belt attachment rather than the waist strap so I can't be sure, but I'd imagine that the strap is even more useful when walking etc with the larger Jumbo. My main gripe with the strap is that it makes it more difficult to spin the bag around to reach where I have my camera positioned for example.

I ruled out the EDC / LEO versions as the pocket configuration and the lighter nylon for a saving of seven quid didn't seem like a sensible move for me. The lack of the grab handle on te EDC / LEO versions was the clincher :)

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #77 on: May 26, 2010, 07:38:47 AM
I like the Jumbo, though I shy from it for fear of simply filling it up 'til it weighs 70 pounds...

But it lacks one important thing that the Fatboy has.. and that will always leave me to pass it by:

The Jumbo has no exterior sheath.

I don't want to dig around or fumble with zippers to get to my MT. The Fatboy has one right there on the side where it makes sense. I need my MT to be easily pulled. The Jumbo would simply not work for that without adding on a sheath.

My real wish would be for a Fatboy version that had two sheaths.. the one that's on there and one on the other side as well. Or beside it maybe.

I added one to mine. One sheath for the MT, and one for the light. That just seems obvious on any EDC bag to me.

On another subject..

The Keyper on the strap is great if you ask me. I don't think of it as a place for your keys while the bag is carried. I like it more for a sort of "place to clip this thing for now so I don't lose or drop it" option.

And when I go to bed at night, the keys do get clipped there so I don't hunt them in the morning.

I have hooked my cap on there while out walking.. I have clipped a pair of gloves on there... some keys someone handed me... a hotel room key for instance...

It has a lot of uses if you think about it.

G.
G

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: May 30, 2010, 03:18:14 AM
That's a good idea with the keys Glorn - that sort of hing never even occurred to me tbh.

I agree about the sheath pocket as compared to the Fatboy too - I may well do something similar to what you've done there, although for the moment at least I'm managing just fine.

I picked up a 500ml SIGG bottle for myself today too - I looked at the various Nalgene, Camelbak and other plastic bottles, but I went for what I like in the end :D

I'm getting on well with the Jumbo so far :tu:

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #79 on: May 30, 2010, 05:15:01 AM
Where are you carrying the MT on your Jumbo?

Can you show pics?
G

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: May 30, 2010, 11:35:17 AM
Just about to head out - but in the mag holder in the CCW pocket :)

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: May 31, 2010, 01:23:44 AM
Ah... no need for pics of that.

Hmmm... I suppose that wouldn't be too inaccessible.

I think I still like the external sheath though.
G

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: May 31, 2010, 01:28:30 AM
I think if my multitool wasn't going to get me arrested, the sheath would be the way to go for me too :D

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: June 02, 2010, 05:07:22 AM
 :think:  Good point. I always forget about that whole problem you have over there with getting nicked for carrying tools.

Just kills me to know that some chav can brandish a cricket bat and a cleaver, but you'll get jailed for a multi.

Wonder if anyone has ever been killed in the UK with a multitool of any sort?
G

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #84 on: June 02, 2010, 06:18:22 AM
I very much doubt it, as there no where near that common over here :)

It's predominately cheap crap and kitchen knives that do the business over here!
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #85 on: June 02, 2010, 09:57:51 AM

It's predominately cheap crap and kitchen knives that do the business over here!

well id much rather be tabbed by a multi :P

"before you stab me again can i have a play with that?  :D  :pok: "

I

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #86 on: June 02, 2010, 02:12:41 PM

Tracy Andrews killed her fiancé back in 1996 with a SAK IIRC  ;)

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #87 on: June 04, 2010, 03:15:26 PM
I like the Jumbo, though I shy from it for fear of simply filling it up 'til it weighs 70 pounds...

But it lacks one important thing that the Fatboy has.. and that will always leave me to pass it by:

The Jumbo has no exterior sheath.

I don't want to dig around or fumble with zippers to get to my MT. The Fatboy has one right there on the side where it makes sense. I need my MT to be easily pulled. The Jumbo would simply not work for that without adding on a sheath.

My real wish would be for a Fatboy version that had two sheaths.. the one that's on there and one on the other side as well. Or beside it maybe.

I added one to mine. One sheath for the MT, and one for the light. That just seems obvious on any EDC bag to me.

(Image removed from quote.)

On another subject..

The Keyper on the strap is great if you ask me. I don't think of it as a place for your keys while the bag is carried. I like it more for a sort of "place to clip this thing for now so I don't lose or drop it" option.

And when I go to bed at night, the keys do get clipped there so I don't hunt them in the morning.

I have hooked my cap on there while out walking.. I have clipped a pair of gloves on there... some keys someone handed me... a hotel room key for instance...

It has a lot of uses if you think about it.

G.

I just added a MOLLE sheath to the strap of my Jumbo, so its right in front of my if I need it. I also have that light and clip it so it faces out.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #88 on: June 04, 2010, 03:23:17 PM

Tracy Andrews killed her fiancé back in 1996 with a SAK IIRC  ;)

That's very true - the infamous "Road Rage" case. Nasty piece of work she is :-\

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
Reply #89 on: June 05, 2010, 06:53:28 AM

I just added a MOLLE sheath to the strap of my Jumbo, so its right in front of my if I need it. I also have that light and clip it so it faces out.

I tried the sheath mounted on the strap for awhile, but the weight of a Surge on the strap felt a bit odd.

Would like to see some pics of your rig!
G

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD