Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Climbing up to Crich in Search of Cardale

DaveK · 11 · 1708

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Climbing up to Crich in Search of Cardale
on: May 09, 2010, 03:21:31 AM
"Climbing up to Crich in Search of Cardale" was the title given in the book to the walk we did today, and as usual we didn't really give it a thought until we were going round and as usual therefore had plenty of surprises as we went!

I went a bit mad with the pictures today having taken 88 during the 10 mile walk, so I've picked out the ones that I thought best reflected our day, but have many more, particularly of the memorial (more later) if anyone's interested.

We parked up in the train station car park of the small village of Ambergate, which whilst small is situated on a major road which the book promised we would be away from really quickly. It was right, as we turned up a small side street and found ourselves on the tow path of the Cromford canal. We actually did a walk a short while ago that followed the Cromford canal about 8 miles further along, pics of which can be found here.

Today, we were near the other end of the old, very shallow and very overgrown canal, which was teaming with wildlife. I wasn't quick enough with the camera to catch a Water Vole swimming, but I got plenty of duck shots :D

As we continued along the tow path, the canal became a bit more tidy and uniform after a couple of miles, and despite a few ducks and birds, didn't pass another living being - it was great!

Eventually, we had to cross a bridge and leave the canal, so we had a quick water-stop to prepare ourselves for the steep climb the book was warning us about (it wasn't exaggerating either)!

Having crossed the bridge, we followed an old path that ascended pretty sharply through woodland. The view was lovely, but it was hard work! Eventually, we had a choice to make that the book didn't mention, the following pic could be captioned "What do you reckon then - left or light"? (We went left :D)

Up and up and up we went (about 700ft according to the Garmin) until eventually we reached a style into fields. The following picture shows the woods behind the wall that we had just left.

Eventually, after a few fields and roads crossed, the church steeple of the village of Crich came into view, and an odd looking lighthouse type tower in the distance  :think:

This is just a nice pic from the 88 that I liked :D

So, we approached and eventually entered the village of Crich (with the "i" pronounced like in "eye").

I learned two things about Crich today. Apparently it was the setting for the fictional town of Cardale in the TV series Peak Practice, which I have never watched  :-\ It must matter though, as they have even named their chip shop after it!

The other thing I learned was that the Black Swan does an extremely nice pint of bitter (not sure what it was, but it tasted great  :cheers: ).

Refreshed after our visit to the pub, we continued out of Crich across fields until we reached a road that lead past the entrance to The National Tramway Museum which looked like it might be worth a visit one day, they look to have recreated a period village with trams and shops etc. Might be fun :)

Note the Tardis-style police box on the right of the above picture, and the "lighthouse" structure in the distance.... We followed the road around, past the museum until we were met with a sign.

The memorial was unfortunately closed, but as it lay on public access land, we were able to get up close and have a good look at it. When it's open, just 10p will let you climb to the top apparently, but the high winds today meant that wasn't possible :(

The memorial, with the large lighthouse tower as the centrepiece was a very beautiful place, and the views it afforded in every direction were amazing. Perhaps 20 miles in every direction? On this crowded island that's quite a rare thing, and I can't help feeling that there couldn't be a more fitting place for such a memorial. We must have spent 30 minutes there today - and I intend to go back when it's open. I think the pictures explain this place to you, especially the information board:

In addition to the memorial tower, there was also a beacon, which is believed to stand on the site of the beacon that was used to notify locals of the Spanish Armada attacking in 1588 (it's OK, we won ;) )

Behind the tower there was a fence preventing you from going any further, so I snapped a couple of pictures of the view, which was stunning.

Note the almost "sand dune" like hillocks in the above picture. You can see in the following picture, below the tower from a different angle. When I took the first photo, I had no idea that quarry was there  :o

Past the quarry, and descending all the time now, we eventually had to cross the terminus of the tramway from the museum. I found this pretty surreal actually, but wanted to wait and see if a tram would come :D

SWMBO was feeling a bit under the weather though and said no. So as I agreed we should carry on, I looked around one last time and......

.... a tram arrived! The driver got out and walked around to the other end of it, and off it went again. How's that for timing?

We did a short detour from the prescribed route to get Fiona a drink and some chocolate for an energy boost (I had a pint of Black Sheep Ale  :cheers: ), before rejoining the route to cross fields and follow a forest path.

The path lead us past old quarries, before eventually rejoining the Cromford canal with about a 2.5 mile walk back to the car.

Then came the traditional post-walk steak, and inevitably, a good night's sleep, starting very soon.

Hope you enjoy the pics  :cheers:
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Climbing up to Crich in Search of Cardale
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 04:13:31 AM
I love these little photo essays of your excursions. It is a great way to sort of walk along with you on these lovely trips.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline Magic Bus

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 02:05:28 PM
Great photos Dave, thanks for showing  :tu: Ain't digital cameras some tool  :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 02:06:23 PM
Cheers guys - and yes, the digital camera was some invention!

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 05:46:15 PM
I also like you photo adventures Dave  :tu:

You missed an important photo this time around; what pack you had with you :D

Do tell  :pok:

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 06:14:21 PM
Thanks Dave! I really enjoy your walks.   :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:10:01 PM
lovely place daveK, looks like fun! :), thanks for sharing!
custom swiss army knives

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 07:51:38 PM
They should bring back more trams :)

Great shot's a write up mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline ryan1835

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • buh
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 07:52:37 PM
looks exhausting :P dave must have enjoyed the walk too much, he didnt include the usual shot of a ukpk sticking out of a tree  :)
I

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 08:43:31 PM
Thanks for sharing Dave, my legs hurts just from reading it..  :D

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 09:00:42 PM
I also like you photo adventures Dave  :tu:

You missed an important photo this time around; what pack you had with you :D

Do tell  :pok:

'Twas the Pygmy Falcon again today!

It was a bit of a leg-acher this one, but a couple of well timed pub stops helped :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $91.95
PayPal Fees: $4.93
Net Balance: $87.02
Below Goal: $212.98
Site Currency: USD