Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Evil's Mini Pen Stitcher.....

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Evil's Mini Pen Stitcher.....
on: June 09, 2016, 12:40:05 PM
Hey there, gang. Here's another little creation that has been a constant part of my EDC. It's been complete for over a year. It is just now that I am getting around to posting on it. Which is probably good in a way because I can reflect on how it has performed in my real world circumstances, etc. I know that a sewing kit isn't an essential EDC item for many people. I have found it very handy to always have some sort of sewing kit with me to modify and make repairs on things. Traditional hand sewing can be very tedious, time consuming and not always easily stowed. My pen stitcher makes small sewing jobs quick, efficient and it all stows away in a compact pen.....

~ evil ~

Originally, this project started off as a generic version of this type of precision screwdriver.....

END CAP

Modified end cap. Delrin insert, drilled out for four accessories and center retaining pin.....

Here you can see the retaining pin. Stainless steel and delrin.....

Mini needle threader. Stainless rod and wire.....

Two piece embroidery hook. Accounts for two spots in the end cap. If ever you should use any type of hand stitcher, one of these will be your best friend. You will find that once you build up a rhythm, you can stitch nearly twice as fast than if you didn't use one.....

Fourth spot reserved for storage of stitching needle.....

Retaining pin installed. Keeps accessories from shifting around within the tool and safe from contacting the rotating internal bobbin.....

THE STITCHING HEAD

Head shortened, angle of bevel changed, drilled and tapped for threads.....

Modified head installed from x-acto type knife. Shortened, collet drilled out to accept needles.....

Here you can see the feed slot for the thread as well as the tension ring that I created. Initially I has one small single hole to feed the thread, however because of the nature of the bobbins being so long and slender as opposed to being short and stubby like many of the much larger stitchers, it kept binding like crazy. By elongating the hole into a slot that equals the length of the bobbin, it now feeds freely from top to bottom without binding as the thread unravels. It also made initial threading into the tube all that much easier. I hope that all made some sort of sense. The tension ring keeps tension on the string to prevent slack and facilitate nice tight stitches.....

Stitching needle installed and threaded. Ready for use.....

Here you can see how it all comes together. The face of the retaining pin butts up against the top face of the bobbin, keeping it aligned and running smoothly. Without this, the bobbin wanted to travel longitudinally every couple of stitches and would tend to bind.....

BOBBINS

Bobbins made from stainless steel rod with delrin end caps. Since the diameter of the inner core is so small, they are able to fit a decent amount of thread for their size. The multi-bobbins allow me to carry various other colors and strengths of thread I may commonly use in a way that makes switching colors a quick and easy process.....

This single bobbin is the one that I keep loaded into the stitcher the majority of the time. It can hold over 25 feet of heavy duty upholstery thread. Standard string, about 50 feet. Less than half full in this photo due to use.....

The dual bobbin allows for about 13 feet of upholstery thread or 25 feet of standard thread per color. The triple bobbin holds about 17 feet per color of standard thread, 8 of the upholstery thread. I typically never load upholstery thread on this particular bobbin.....

Stainless steel storage tube for extra bobbins.....

Here's the stainless steel thimble cap that I made for the storage tube for the times that I sew by hand and need a little extra push to go through thick materials. Traditional thimbles with numerous tiny holes don't serve me well, so, I went with one single large hole to securely contain the end of even the large upholstery needles.....

To complete my expansion kit, at the bottom is my needle storage tube.....

Expansion kit expanded. The bobbin storage holds whichever two bobbins that are not in use. The needle storage holds two extra heavy duty stitcher needles, two large upholstery needles and three medium self threading needles should I want/need to sew by hand.....

STORAGE

Hardshell case formed out of ABS plastic. Internal divider. Wrapped in black microfiber.....

Bottom view. End cap tucked in over microfiber.....

Top view. Here you can see the internal divider.....

One compartment is for the stitcher, the other is for the expansion kit.....

The stitcher itself is always in my EDC bag and is typically more than adequate. If I ever go out of town, I will bring the rest of the kit. Here's some size comparisons.....

Mini Pen Stitcher compared to sharpie pen.....

Complete kit compared to sharpie pen.....

SAMPLES

I've had the chance to use this quite a few times over the past year or so. It has gone through six layers of tarp with no problem, multiple layers of ballistic nylon for cases I've modified, layers of nylon webbing for straps and various other small projects. If I get around to taking photos of some of the other things I've used it for, I will add them to this post.....

Phone pouch for backup phone. Made from my old Levi's jeans. Sewn inside out, then flipped.....

Another pouch that I made for one of my other tools. Ballistic nylon. Also sewn inside out then flipped. Trim added.....

Close-up of stitching job on trim. If you space your stitches right and tension them equally, it comes very close to looking like a sewing machine job.....

CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Evil's Mini Pen Stitcher.....
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 01:42:34 PM
Stunning work E-Vizzle  :salute:

You have thought of everything and provided an elegant solution there.  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 03:08:43 PM
more great work e  :cheers:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 03:22:37 PM
I want one. Fantastic work!  :tu:

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 03:24:49 PM
Gorgeous :D

I would have to start wearing suspenders to hold all the tools created how do you choose what to carry?!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 03:43:46 PM
Fabulous sewing kit. Very well thought out and compact to boot. :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 03:47:52 PM
Now thats a sewing kit  :salute:.  Very well thought out and well executed. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 07:00:52 PM
You always seem to amaze us. I'm stunned
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 08:10:17 PM
Excellent as always my friend!

I had a funny thought cross my mind while looking at this. If you ever did a long stent in prison you would be the most popular guy in there as i'm sure you would be making all sorts of cool stuff out of random items.  :D :tu:
I'm the milk man!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 10:44:26 PM
Nice :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 04:37:39 AM
How many tries did it take to get this right? This is perfectly refined. The only thing that MIGHT be missing is a couple buttons and a pin or three, and thats a more from how I learned to sew than anything else.

Your hands must be very steady- Evil, I'm guessing you are caffeine free.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline evil510

Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 11:45:18 PM
Stunning work E-Vizzle  :salute: You have thought of everything and provided an elegant solution there.  :tu:
Thank you, magentus.....  :salute:

more great work e  :cheers:
Thank you, SteveC.....   :cheers:

I want one. Fantastic work!  :tu:
Thank you, ReamerPunch.....   :salute:

Gorgeous :D

I would have to start wearing suspenders to hold all the tools created how do you choose what to carry?!
Thank you, NKlamerus.....   :salute: Typically, by the start of my day I have a general idea of what kind of day I'm  going to expect and pack accordingly. Some items are carried with my regardless. This is one such item. As small as it is, I figure why not. Usually just the pen stitcher though, not always the complete kit......

Fabulous sewing kit. Very well thought out and compact to boot. :salute:
  Thank you, Toolslinger.....   :salute:

Now thats a sewing kit  :salute:.  Very well thought out and well executed. 
Thank you, Aloha.....   :salute:

You always seem to amaze us. I'm stunned
Thank you, Steve.....   :salute: I am definitely my own worst critic and am always trying to push myself to improve upon things.....

Excellent as always my friend! 3

I had a funny thought cross my mind while looking at this. If you ever did a long stent in prison you would be the most popular guy in there as i'm sure you would be making all sorts of cool stuff out of random items.  :D :tu:
Thank you, Captain.....   :salute: I sure hope that I'm never imprisoned, though if I were, I'm sure there are a lot of other things much worse to be popular for, lol.....

Nice :tu:
JR
Thank you, MadPlumbarian.....   :salute:

How many tries did it take to get this right? This is perfectly refined. The only thing that MIGHT be missing is a couple buttons and a pin or three, and thats a more from how I learned to sew than anything else.

Your hands must be very steady- Evil, I'm guessing you are caffeine free.
It took a few attempts. Mostly the issue with the bobbin binding when the thread was trying to feed from the top end. Elongating the feed slot resolved that. I EDC'ed the stitcher as is with the single bobbin for quite a while before creating the multicolor bobbins and the rest of the kit. You have just reminded me that in my haste to get this posted for you all, I forgot to post on something. A hidden feature that I've never had to use to this date that literally slipped my mind, so, this post is for you.....

Cap for storage tube.....

Cap removed.....

Closer view of the underside. Hidden compartment.....   ;)

Inside, four buttons.....

Close-up view.....

I could actually fit a pin or two in the needle tube. As for caffeine, only in limited doses.....
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 12:22:22 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #12 on: June 13, 2016, 03:25:17 PM
Wow.  Outstanding work.

de Offline windson

• Observe - Evaluate - Control
Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 10:53:03 PM
Amazing on many levels. Nice idea and craftsmanship! :cheers:

Do you happen to have a picture showing the pen in use?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 05:12:09 AM
Everything I have seen from you is so awesome :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :tu:

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 07:25:45 AM
as always I'm late for this, but that is amazing. I actually wish that was produced
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline evil510

Reply #16 on: June 15, 2016, 05:02:44 PM
Wow.  Outstanding work.
Thank you, shibafu.....  :salute:

Amazing on many levels. Nice idea and craftsmanship! :cheers: Do you happen to have a picture showing the pen in use?
Thank you, windson..... :cheers: Currently, I do not. However, I should, especially for any of those that may not be familiar how a sewing awl may function.....

Everything I have seen from you is so awesome :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :tu:
Thank you, Ponchon :tu:. You have been there from my first mod all those years ago.....

as always I'm late for this, but that is amazing. I actually wish that was produced
Thank you, styx.....  :salute:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 05:04:25 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32