Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"bits" of a larger project....

evil510 · 98 · 13312

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: "bits" of a larger project....
Reply #60 on: September 05, 2010, 12:42:18 AM
Another excellent idea, well executed sir  :salute:

You need to stop showing us all these goodies or start taking orders for them :D

Me and my concur!
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Reply #61 on: September 05, 2010, 08:23:16 PM
Awesome as always! Think I know what kind of bottle opener you used as a model, looks very professional. I don't use either a can opener nor bottle opener myself, ever, but I can see how they are useful to have even if you just use it rarely :D
Thanks Andreas! I use them both rarely as well. People in my real life know I always have a multitool on me. They figure I am prepared for anything. Can you imagine the scoffing if I weren't even able to open a bottle or a can lol.....

Another excellent idea, well executed sir  :salute:

You need to stop showing us all these goodies or start taking orders for them :D
Thanks Nuphoria! As for orders...maybe one day  ;)

Another excellent idea, well executed sir  :salute:

Me and my (Image removed from quote.) concur!
Thanks Xelkos!
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #62 on: September 05, 2010, 08:58:17 PM
Very clever  :salute:  Looking at the amount of work fashioning that steel I can't imagine we'll be able to order them until automated production occurs; it must have taken an age to get right, well done :tu:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

us Offline evil510

Reply #63 on: September 06, 2010, 12:39:21 AM
Very clever  :salute:  Looking at the amount of work fashioning that steel I can't imagine we'll be able to order them until automated production occurs; it must have taken an age to get right, well done :tu:
Thanks Neil! Sadly, you are very right. Quite a bit of work went into creating the can opener end and far from being something I could easily produce in numbers.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline evil510

Reply #64 on: September 06, 2010, 06:59:26 PM
Hey gang. This is my latest bit to fit into the bit card. I didn't make this particular one for myself. A buddy of mine does stained glass windows for a living. He also happens to EDC a Wave. His birthday rolled around so I surprised him with this. Being so tiny and wrapped up he thought it was a gag gift at first. He ended up loving it. Glass cutter with carbide wheel.....

~ evil ~

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:04:24 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline ryan1835

• buh
Reply #65 on: September 06, 2010, 07:19:14 PM
would be even better if the wheel was replaceable, nice mod!
I

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: September 06, 2010, 07:22:52 PM
WOw I'm sure he was very happy with it! So many tools where 90% of it is the handle, that's what multitools and things like this helps with

us Offline evil510

Reply #67 on: September 06, 2010, 07:58:46 PM
would be even better if the wheel was replaceable, nice mod!
Thanks Ryan. And yes, it is replaceable. Simply a force fitted pin. Told him if it ever wears down I'll install a new wheel for him.....  ;)

WOw I'm sure he was very happy with it! So many tools where 90% of it is the handle, that's what multitools and things like this helps with
Thanks Andreas. That is pretty much how I see things as well.....  :tu:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 10:35:09 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline evil510

Reply #68 on: September 16, 2010, 10:17:44 AM
Oops, I just realized that I accidentally deleted the photo of the glass cutter bit in my previous post from the photobucket system. Here it is again.....

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now for my latest bit. The scraper/prybar half has been done for quite a while. I primarily use it to crack open small electronics or scales on knives or multitools etc. I finally got around to finishing the other half. Personally, I think the little V notches to strip wires they typically put on multitools suck. So, I set out to create a wire stripper that actually works well. D2 toolsteel.....

Mini prybar/scraper. Hollow ground topside.....

A side view. Here you can see the rounded underside to act as a fulcrum for leverage. Sharpened with a chisel edge.....

Backside of wire stripper. Here you can see the very acute angle of the cutting groove that allows precise control of the cutting depth. Sharpened on both the front and back side of the groove to form a double knife edge.....

Yet another view of the back side.....

Here you can see the channel I had to machine in order to make clearance for the wire sheathing. In pre-sharpened stage.....

Another view after having been sharpened.....

Suitable for 12ga-24ga wire, here's the stripper in action..... (get your mind out of the gutter  ;))

« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:46:26 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #69 on: September 16, 2010, 10:24:08 AM
Very impressive  :tu:
I'm back!!

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #70 on: September 16, 2010, 10:27:51 AM
Excellent as always ;)

PS: check your PM

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #71 on: September 16, 2010, 10:44:49 AM
 :o

Great work as usual  :gimme:
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #72 on: September 16, 2010, 11:04:09 AM
When will you start taking orders for the Evil 128 piece bit kit  :pok:
SAW

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #73 on: September 16, 2010, 05:23:20 PM
I just got to know...how many bit carriers are you using to contain all of this awesome?  Or is the Super Evil Bit Carrier next?
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

Reply #74 on: September 16, 2010, 08:52:22 PM
I just got to know...how many bit carriers are you using to contain all of this awesome?  Or is the Super Evil Bit Carrier next?

He's probably working on a roll out mat for all his bits.  :D
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline evil510

Reply #75 on: September 17, 2010, 05:21:43 AM
Very impressive  :tu:
Thanks Benner!

Excellent as always ;)

PS: check your PM
Thanks Andreas! I just checked and will reply shortly.....

:o
Great work as usual  :gimme:
Thanks Sparky!

When will you start taking orders for the Evil 128 piece bit kit  :pok:
I know, I know. I really should look into such things.....

I just got to know...how many bit carriers are you using to contain all of this awesome?  Or is the Super Evil Bit Carrier next?
With this latest bit, I now have both bit cards full of custom bits that I will actually use on a regular basis. All other bits for the LM bit cards that I create from this point on will simply be added to the rotation. It drives me crazy to have an empty spot on one of the cards or a bit I know I will not make use of. I also carry one third custom bit card that I just finished making recently. It carries a new set of bits that I made. Look for them soon in an upcoming post.....

He's probably working on a roll out mat for all his bits.  :D
A roll out mat, not quite... however, I have been tinkering around with different, more compact ways of carrying a multitude of bits.....  ;)

« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 05:46:35 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #76 on: September 17, 2010, 05:30:11 AM
I missed this thread somehow..

These bits are amazing!  I want that bottle opener bit!  Simply amazing!

Reply #77 on: September 17, 2010, 06:49:13 AM
E510,
The folks with AR-15 types of rifles ran into an issue with bits that a certain Gerber tool has a tool for. Am sure an enterprising individual such as yourself could come up with your version, and it would be loads better and make your famous and rich maybe. Who knows, maybe even Leatherman would offer to buy your patent idea.

Now short on time so going to list his posts and photos chronologically, as I have to get up when I am usually going to bed. Have a meeting and possible interview in the wee hours tomorrow morning.

Not sure if you'd be interested in coming up with such a bit. Leatherman was just apprised of this today too.

Quote from: Sai Balingit
(Over at http://www.facebook.com/leathermanusa btw.)
Post 1:  Any plans to make a multi tool made for cleaning and adjusting weapons? I was firing at a range in Afghanistan and I needed to adjust my front sight on my M4. Usually, we use bullets or nails to make the adjustment. A fellow shooter pulled out a Gerber tool (seen here: http://gerber-efect.com/) and we were all amazed! ...I am very faithful to Leatherman and I believe very strongly that if you guys make a tool like that, it will be sought after from a lot of military, law enforcement, and professional shooters! Just thought I'd ask!

Post 2: I just wanted to add that I know the MUT is going to have tools to clean and adjust... To be a little more specific, any plans on adding a front sight adjustment tool?

Post 3: Thank you for your support! We all appreciate hearing that! I apologize for not being clear. What I'm talking about is the ability to adjust the front sights of M16s, AR-15s, and M4s. When zeroing (calibrating), sometimes we have to turn th...e front sight clockwise or counter c/w. Usually this is done with an extra round because the tip is narrow enough to fit in one of the grooves. If your screwdriver bits fit like that then thats great but the actual tool i was speaking of consists of about 4 prongs that sit perfectly in the front sight and turns easily. I will create another post on your wall with a picture of the tool.

Post 4: this is an example of a front sight adjustment tool
(Image removed from quote.)

Post 5: and in this photo, the red arrow points to where the adjustment is made
(Image removed from quote.)

Post 6: I hope that cleared up any confusion. The only reason I bring it up is when we needed it, it was attached to a Gerber tool. Personally, I'd like to see it featured on a Leatherman. I own a Charge, Crunch, and a Skeletool. The MUT is next on my list and if in the future there is a tool with a front sight adjustment tool on it, I will definitely buy that too!

PS: Tired, sorry for the typos.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:51:59 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline evil510

Reply #78 on: September 17, 2010, 07:56:30 AM
Believe me, I do have a fondness for Leatherman tools despite their shortcomings. While I do not own any of those weapons, I can tell you without a doubt, of any current multitools out there, if I wanted a weapon specific tool I would choose a Multitasker above any Gerber or Leatherman. I have the full second generation of the Multitasker line-up. From a perfectionist that pays attention to detail, I can tell you that the craftsmanship and build quality of these tools put Gerber and Leatherman to shame, seriously. But then again, that is just my opinion. I have been overdue posting my insights/opinions on them but will do so soon. The MUT will no doubt suit a specific niche. I have yet to handle one. I am not overly excited about them and will wait a while. I will probably get one at some point, but unless I came across a killer deal on one, traded work for one or I am bought one, etc... I won't be getting one anytime soon. Too rich for my blood. Don't get me wrong, I see tons of modding potential with the MUT. But at this point in time, for me it is more hype than anything. With my highly modified Surge, I don't see much I could do with a MUT task-wise that I couldn't do as well, if not better with my Surge. By the way, the sides of the ST300 plier head on my Surge work well as makeshift hammers. I am actually making sacrificial hammer faces for them. As for the longer MUT drivers? Not to worry. Evil's new bits do everything those can do... and some things they can't. I'll be posting them soon.....  ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:09:16 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #79 on: September 17, 2010, 09:01:03 AM
Xelkos I think you can delete a post yourself, I'll check.

I can't find it  :think:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 09:03:11 AM by threeme2189 »
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

Reply #80 on: September 17, 2010, 01:30:04 PM
Oh, it was just something mentioned over at Leatherman USA on how great you are with making bits, and thought I'd throw it at you over here before I forgot.

MUT has two important things that I am unable to fix my Surge, as I lack the tools & workplace for one, and the skill to change it.
  • Pliers: The ST300 like head without sacrificing other functions
  • Handle lock: Although this might not be a big deal, it's got my curiosity

The removable blade scraper automatically tells me that's prime Awl/Scissors area. But not seeing how bulky it is or isn't I can't say - never held one. Price? Can't touch it. Done buried myself with two used and one new KF4. I would much rather buy/own a than a MUT.

BTW, if anybody is into star gazing, the moon and Jupiter are supposed to be the two brightest objects in the sky this Saturday! Closest Encounter with Jupiter until 2022

Now to get ready for this interview/meeting.

Believe me, I do have a fondness for Leatherman tools despite their shortcomings. While I do not own any of those weapons, I can tell you without a doubt, of any current multitools out there, if I wanted a weapon specific tool I would choose a Multitasker above any Gerber or Leatherman. I have the full second generation of the Multitasker line-up. From a perfectionist that pays attention to detail, I can tell you that the craftsmanship and build quality of these tools put Gerber and Leatherman to shame, seriously. But then again, that is just my opinion. I have been overdue posting my insights/opinions on them but will do so soon. The MUT will no doubt suit a specific niche. I have yet to handle one. I am not overly excited about them and will wait a while. I will probably get one at some point, but unless I came across a killer deal on one, traded work for one or I am bought one, etc... I won't be getting one anytime soon. Too rich for my blood. Don't get me wrong, I see tons of modding potential with the MUT. But at this point in time, for me it is more hype than anything. With my highly modified Surge, I don't see much I could do with a MUT task-wise that I couldn't do as well, if not better with my Surge. By the way, the sides of the ST300 plier head on my Surge work well as makeshift hammers. I am actually making sacrificial hammer faces for them. As for the longer MUT drivers? Not to worry. Evil's new bits do everything those can do... and some things they can't. I'll be posting them soon.....  ;)
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline evil510

Reply #81 on: September 17, 2010, 03:29:39 PM
Oh, it was just something mentioned over at Leatherman USA on how great you are with making bits, and thought I'd throw it at you over here before I forgot.

MUT has two important things that I am unable to fix my Surge, as I lack the tools & workplace for one, and the skill to change it.
  • Pliers: The ST300 like head without sacrificing other functions
  • Handle lock: Although this might not be a big deal, it's got my curiosity

The removable blade scraper automatically tells me that's prime Awl/Scissors area. But not seeing how bulky it is or isn't I can't say - never held one.

BTW, if anybody is into star gazing, the moon and Jupiter are supposed to be the two brightest objects in the sky this Saturday! Closest Encounter with Jupiter until 2022

Now to get ready for this interview/meeting.
Hey Xelkos and thanks! You have me curious. If I am mentioned elsewhere could you please send me a link? Making a Leatherman style bit specifically for that application is not out of the realm of possibility. Let me rephrase. I see it as very doable but is low on the priority list at the moment. If someone approached me about fabricating one, that could change. Perhaps it is something that I will give a deeper look into once my workload lightens up.....

The only things I had to sacrifice to do the swap were the spring locks to keep the knives in the closed position when pliers are deployed, clearance issues and getting just the right amount of side pressure via shims so everything would work just right. I never once had an issue with my knives opening while using the pliers on my Wave or my Surge so I didn't even view it as a sacrifice. I did have to go back a second time and re-work some clearance issues when I decided to add long, dedicated drivers to the mix. The flat drivers more or less go right in, they just need to be placed in the right spots with minor tweaking. The phillip driver is not a direct swap even if you keep the Surge plier head you will have clearance issues and the handles will not close. This also applies to he long phillip driver I added into my post 2004 Wave. Not a direct swap. The same clearance issues had to be dealt with. I suppose that is why it really hasn't been done. I have often been asked what I have inside of my Wave and Surge since removing the can opener, small bit driver, etc. from both. Thinking about it now, perhaps I should also post them as a mod.....

Something related to your unrelated part of the post... If you or anyone has an Android phone, get the Google Sky Map app. Pretty dang cool if you like to stargaze. Point it anywhere in the sky and it shows you the stars you are looking at even if you can't see them. Shows you all the constellations and you can do a search and it will pinpoint guide you which way to aim in the sky to what you are looking for. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I will drive out to the boonies to try and have a look.....
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:34:58 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

Offline Andreas

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: September 17, 2010, 10:48:57 PM
You do such awesome work evil510 you really should do more to show it off. Create a website to collect all projects in one place so they're not only spread across the forum, slowly falling victim to the old thread syndrome.

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #83 on: September 18, 2010, 04:03:23 AM
Or make a new Multitool Mod thread, but this one would be the Evil specific one. And post all your evily goodness! >:D
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

Reply #84 on: September 18, 2010, 04:19:36 AM
Ever thought of an L or Y Backscratcher bit, with wire bail retainer? Sometimes the can opener end is a bit pointy, and the saw is a bit rough on the skin.
¬ Outback in Idaho

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: September 19, 2010, 02:47:06 AM
Been awhile since I checked in on this thread. Belated kudos on your wire stripper bit and glass cutter bit Evil :salute: They both are fabulous ideas! :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline evil510

Reply #86 on: August 06, 2011, 01:45:35 PM
Hey gang. Evil here again. Sorry I have been off to a slow start since I have been back. At any rate, this bit project has been continually evolving for me. I have been customizing it to cater to my specific needs. The last additions I presented to you all were my 3" long reach drivers with custom bit card. You can read more about them here. For the times that I go mountain biking in the middle of nowhere or camping, I use to always pack a fire starter kit, just in case. Call me a bit paranoid or perhaps I have watched way to many survival shows. I like to be prepared. Since then, I have combined all three bit cards and have incorporated a piece of firesteel and a striker. I also added a custom lanyard to easily pull it out of the pocket of my sheath.....

evil ~

All three bit cards combined into one. Top handle tabs of original bit cards cut off and reshaped. Custom lanyard ring made to fit in the small holes that originally held the standard micro screwdriver bit.....

Custom turned lanyard pull and bead fabricated to compliment each other.....

Lanyard installed on ring. Long reach bits installed.....

As viewed from the other side.....

Bottom edges of bit cards removed. Firesteel and striker installed. Striker partially deployed in next few pictures to show the nail nick.....

Yet another view.....

Having cut off all of the excess plastic from both the top and bottom of the standard bit cards, after the addition of all of these modifications, the original length was kept intact. This particular project finally feels like it has come full circle. Now, on to another project  ;)

CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #87 on: August 06, 2011, 01:52:50 PM
Great work as usual Evil..  8) :tu:
Let me know when you're ready for mass production..  ;) :D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #88 on: August 06, 2011, 02:05:13 PM
Oooh!

Is this an "Order Now" thread?  :D

I'll take 2 bit kits with firesteel please.  :)

Beautiful execution Evil one.  :tu:

us Offline MTlitton

Reply #89 on: August 06, 2011, 09:45:44 PM
these are alll awsome great job :drool: :tu:
watch your step

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30