Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Blast/fuse/kick plier question

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Blast/fuse/kick plier question
on: May 11, 2010, 02:09:32 PM
I have only owned the blast, but since the smaller two share the same design I figured I would include them.  My Blast is starting to get worn due to heavy every day use, and I noticed that one handle is starting to close really easily.  Like, it's not even locking in.  Since I don't use the pliers everyday, I just ignored it for awhile, but it started to nag at me so I investigated.  It appears that the little wedge shaped protuberance (the part that, on the wave/charge/surge models pushes the blade lock out) has worn a path through half of the handle, so it is barely touching and therefore not locking the plier securely into place.  I really don't think LM will warranty this issue, so I just took a wide punch and tapped the handle in a bit so it would lock better.  Anyone else having this issue?

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: Blast/fuse/kick plier question
Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:27:43 PM
Not heard of that one before  :o

I reckon it would be warrantied though, something can't have been right - i.e. I can see no way that it could happen on any of mine. Any way you can get some pics? I'm curious to see if I'm understanding properly.

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:44:24 PM
Not heard of that one before  :o

I reckon it would be warrantied though, something can't have been right - i.e. I can see no way that it could happen on any of mine. Any way you can get some pics? I'm curious to see if I'm understanding properly.

I will try, but my camera sucks at close ups.  I don't think I need to warranty it now that I have *dented* the handle in that spot.  It doesn't open any easier than a PST now. 

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 02:46:29 PM
Oh yea, and when I bought this one, it made a really rough grating sound when I opened it, and I could feel it through the handles.  That was accompanied by metal dust around the area in question.  It all went away as the tool started to open easier, then when I hammered it back tight again, the scraping is back.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 02:50:21 PM
Doesn't sound too good!

I'm just messing with one now, and I'm wondering if there was a burr on the handle edge or something, so the pressure exerted by opening it was higher than it should have been, if you see what I mean?

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 03:23:07 PM
Doesn't sound too good!

I'm just messing with one now, and I'm wondering if there was a burr on the handle edge or something, so the pressure exerted by opening it was higher than it should have been, if you see what I mean?

After closer examination of mine, it would appear that there is a bit of flash left over from the casting that may have done the damage.  It is only on one edge of the bump though. 

I think I can make it work for awhile, at least until I can acquire something to replace it while it travels to portland.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 03:43:38 PM
Well, good luck getting it sorted :)

What you gonna get as a temporary replacement?

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 03:49:27 PM
Well, good luck getting it sorted :)

What you gonna get as a temporary replacement?
>:D >:D >:D

I have no idea!  My charge ALX is on ebay with plenty of watchers so it will be gone by tomorrow at midnight when the auction ends.  That means I have a small amount to play with.  I could go for a ST300 or vic spirit, or maybe another blast.  Or I could try a SOG.  I really am at a crossroads.  Any tips?  My only hangup on the ST300 is the size/weight.  I carried a Surge for awhile and it was too big.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 03:51:59 PM
Do you have a Bear (or one of the many derivatives)?

Or you could go for something a bit different like a Buck X-Tract or Spyderench, as you'll be getting your Blast back eventually anyway - where's the risk? :)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 03:55:18 PM
Do you have a Bear (or one of the many derivatives)?

Or you could go for something a bit different like a Buck X-Tract or Spyderench, as you'll be getting your Blast back eventually anyway - where's the risk? :)

This could be quite a lengthy search.  I have been hankering to try some new Full size MT's anyway.  I don't care for the Xtract at all, and though the spyderench looks sweet, I can already tell it would be a shelf queen from day one.  Better to stick to the traditional style for now.  I really want to get some opinions on the ST300 from guys that carry them daily.  Are they as heavy as some people say?  I have had zero chance to even see one up close.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 04:03:21 PM
If you haven't had a ST300 yet, then I'd get one.

Size and weight wise, it's comparable to a Swisstool if that helps :)

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 10:08:05 PM
I have a wide variety of items available and pretty much choose the EDC I feel I might need for the day. Anotherwords, there are days I carry my ST300 and I consider it practical. If you have small hands, the ST300 is not for you. If you thought the Surge was way too big, get a Vic Spirit or a Charge TTi. I find the ST300 fits perfectly snug in my hand and I especially like the reinforced plier and replaceable wire-cutters  :D  That said, I also EDC the Charge TTi and Spirit. I love them all!  :tu:
SAW

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 01:49:10 AM
I am still on the fence about it.  I think the surge just a little big, and definitely a little too heavy.  The swisstool felt better though.  I may end up getting one because I like the piano lock system and the traditional design. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%