Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

$10 price reduction on Leatherman tools...

J-sews · 20 · 4097

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
$10 price reduction on Leatherman tools...
on: August 05, 2007, 07:09:36 AM
...sale ends 20 years ago.  :P

Hehe, suckered you in with that thread title, didn't I? It happened much too long ago for me to remember personally, but there is no arguing with these old catalog pages.

According to the Leatherman official history, the first order for Personal Survival Tools was placed by the Early Winters mail order company. Shown above is the back cover of their catalog, advertising an un-branded "Pocket toolchest" for $45.00

By the next year (1984) when giant outfitter Cabela's got on the bandwagon, the price of a new Leatherman tool was down to $39.95

And two years later in 1986, Cabelas was offering the same PST on sale for a paltry $34.95

Must be the volume of sales at that time was climbing, forcing higher production rates, which allowed the price to drop? I dunno. Pretty cool old catalog pictures though.

Bob

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: $10 price reduction on Leatherman tools...
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:16:01 AM
You got me with the thread title ;D Maybe it's just me but I always think the early  PSTs look a little funny without a big LEATHERMAN on the handles.
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 03:33:34 PM
I was thinking the same thing about the blank sheath!

What other old goodies have you got stashed away Bob?  :pok:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 06:21:19 PM
Anyone have one of those unstamped early models?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:20:15 PM
I've never seen an unstamped one. However, I have a very early model (rivet pivots, no lanyard attachment) that is stamped Pocket Survival Tool. 

* 1st series.jpg (Filesize: 58.34 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 09:22:19 PM
And another one which came along a short while later (rivet pivots) stamped with an extra-large font LEATHERMAN.

* 2nd series.jpg (Filesize: 55.04 KB)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 08:08:25 AM
I have one with the big LEATHERMAN stamped on it. Bob this may be a silly question but I see no mention of the word Leatherman in any of those ads. Did LM make any unstamped "PSTs" or are they just showing the back of the tools.

* Picture 1543 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 21.21 KB)

* Picture 1525 (Small).jpg (Filesize: 18.81 KB)
"

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 02:43:25 PM
In the beginning they were unbranded.  There weren't any others on the market so I guess there was no point in putting a name on them to differentiate them!

I think Tim Leatherman was against putting his name on the company at first, so maybe he was concentrating on the product and didn't worry so much about the name at first?  Then when it took off, and He needed a name, he went with his own because he had nothing else handy?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 06:04:26 PM
Other than the photos in these ads, I've never seen an unbranded PST. They must be mighty scarce.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: August 09, 2007, 03:22:40 AM
Thanks for the pictures J-sews, you've got some cool stuff! I wonder if there are any unbranded ones left? Could it be that they were just very early, maybe pre-production models for those pictures? It sure would be fun to find one...

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 09, 2007, 04:49:27 AM

I wonder how much money a person could sell an unbranded PST for?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 09, 2007, 02:28:54 PM
That depends on whether or not you, Doug and Joe all see it, or if it was seen by just one of you!

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 10, 2007, 03:17:00 AM
That depends on whether or not you, Doug and Joe all see it, or if it was seen by just one of you!

Def

True enough. Actually though, I was thinking that if any of you guys would like a genuine unbranded PST, I might have one for sale soon.

(I just need a few moments to run down to the hardware store for a new belt for my beltsander.)  ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 10, 2007, 04:06:25 AM
Count me in!

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #14 on: August 10, 2007, 10:29:33 PM
(I just need a few moments to run down to the hardware store for a new belt for my beltsander.)  ;)
Hmm... What was I thinking, of course I have one of the unbranded PST's! How could I have forgoten?  :-[ I don't really use it anymore, though. I might be willing to part with it for, oh, lets say about $1000. Anybody intersted?  ;D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 03:41:34 AM
Hmm... What was I thinking, of course I have one of the unbranded PST's! How could I have forgoten?  :-[ I don't really use it anymore, though. I might be willing to part with it for, oh, lets say about $1000. Anybody intersted?  ;D

One thousand dollars?! Hell for that kind of money I would be willing to throw in an unbranded Wave also!  :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 03:48:33 AM
Come on guys- you are finding unbranded tools so quickly I am having trouble writing enough cheques!

:ahhh :ahhh

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #17 on: August 11, 2007, 04:18:41 PM
Come on guys- you are finding unbranded tools so quickly I am having trouble writing enough cheques!

:ahhh :ahhh

Def
That's fine, just write one really BIG one, and I'll throw enough stampless tools your way to make it worthwhile!  :multi:

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 11:46:54 AM
I'm new and was like; "All right another deal!" cruel, just cruel!
but on the bright side it does help me make more post and trying to own the first page!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: November 27, 2007, 03:06:53 AM
I'm new and was like; "All right another deal!" cruel, just cruel!
but on the bright side it does help me make more post and trying to own the first page!

:D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%