Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Champ as EDC

jock1 · 62 · 18480

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Swiss Champ as EDC
on: August 05, 2007, 06:13:56 PM
Apologies Folks
I know this would be more suitable for SOSAK but I can't work out how to post on that forum :ahhh .I am a bit of a Luddite
I would like opinions on/experiences of using the Swiss Champ for edc I have a Climber at the moment but have found the lack of pliers ,no phillips screw driver and no saw a bit frustrating I would love to carry a Swiss Tool but the locking knife blade may cause me a few problems legally in the UK.My only concern is it may be a bit to bulky but the tools do appeal to me(I am just a big kid)
Thanks

Offline znapschatz

Re: Swiss Champ as EDC
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:00:06 PM
Apologies Folks
I know this would be more suitable for SOSAK but I can't work out how to post on that forum :ahhh .I am a bit of a Luddite
I would like opinions on/experiences of using the Swiss Champ for edc I have a Climber at the moment but have found the lack of pliers ,no phillips screw driver and no saw a bit frustrating I would love to carry a Swiss Tool but the locking knife blade may cause me a few problems legally in the UK.My only concern is it may be a bit to bulky but the tools do appeal to me(I am just a big kid)
Thanks

For almost fifteen years, a Swisschamp was my primary edc, and for ten of those years, my only.  On a belt in a nylon pouch, the size and weight are manageable, and most of the time I can ignore its presence until needed.  An alternate carry method I have been using lately is to suspend it by "dummy cord" from belt into right front pocket.  This works well with jeans, which I wear 96.7% of the time, but tends to be more clumsy with suit trousers or slacks, in which case I revert to belt carry. 

These days I have diversified my multitool carriage for specific purposes (in truth, largely whim).  However, if I had to choose but one, it would be the excellent and hugely useful Swisschamp, on which the only implements I have never used are the small screwdriver on the backspring and the small blade, intentionally kept in reserve.   

Why not have it all?

FWIW, I had the pleasure of visiting friends in London and Essex in May, 2004.  Although I own several multi-tools with locking blades, they would not have been in compliance with UK knife laws, so the only M-T packed was the Swisschamp. It was a splendid travel companion; easy to carry, disturbing nobody, useful several times and never found wanting. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 11:02:06 PM by znapschatz »

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 08:54:00 PM
Thank you for sharing I have even more ammunition for feeding my new found addiction.My collection is growing slowly but I have overtime coming soon so it looks like the swiss champ and swisstool will be coming home with me . When in doubt buy both :grin:

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 09:01:50 PM
The SOSAK forums are a sub-forum on www.Knifeforums.com

Talk to Defender, he'll help you out.
[

Offline znapschatz

Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:31:38 PM
Thank you for sharing I have even more ammunition for feeding my new found addiction.My collection is growing slowly but I have overtime coming soon so it looks like the swiss champ and swisstool will be coming home with me . When in doubt buy both :grin:

It's a slippery slope.  I started out at age 12 with a 4 bladed scout knife.  I couldn't imagine how, given the option, anyone could restrict oneself to only a single knife blade when there were also bottles to uncap, holes to punched, cans to be opened etc. in the world.   I was not, however, interested in pocketknives as a subject, never mind a passion, for decades.  That all changed when I first became acquainted with Victorinox products.

There are some things in the world that, upon first impression, one instantly and correctly understands is Best of Breed.  Victorinox pocket knives are of that category.  For me, the obvious choice among the many models was Swisschamp, and I have never had cause to second guess. 

But, you know, the other models have certain things that look useful, like smaller size  and weight, when necessary, or a unique implement or array of them.  Somehow, I always found a "sensible" reason to add another to my accumulation, figuring to try it out, if it fit a niche, keep it.  If not, pass it on.  Trouble is, I almost all have their special utility, and the ones that I don't find all that useful are too charming to let go. 

I keep telling myself that I'm a minimalist at heart, and for most things, that's true.  But somehow I have acquired 20 of these things.  Maybe I should re-examine my life.

So, be warned.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 09:34:35 PM
It's a slippery slope.  I started out at age 12 with a 4 bladed scout knife.  I couldn't imagine how, given the option, anyone could restrict oneself to only a single knife blade when there were also bottles to uncap, holes to punched, cans to be opened etc. in the world.   I was not, however, interested in pocketknives as a subject, never mind a passion, for decades.  That all changed when I first became acquainted with Victorinox products.

There are some things in the world that, upon first impression, one instantly and correctly understands is Best of Breed.  Victorinox pocket knives are of that category.  For me, the obvious choice among the many models was Swisschamp, and I have never had cause to second guess. 

But, you know, the other models have certain things that look useful, like smaller size  and weight, when necessary, or a unique implement or array of them.  Somehow, I always found a "sensible" reason to add another to my accumulation, figuring to try it out, if it fit a niche, keep it.  If not, pass it on.  Trouble is, I almost all have their special utility, and the ones that I don't find all that useful are too charming to let go. 

I keep telling myself that I'm a minimalist at heart, and for most things, that's true.  But somehow I have acquired 20 of these things.  Maybe I should re-examine my life.

So, be warned.

Well said znapschatz!   :)

......My collection is growing slowly but I have overtime coming soon so it looks like the swiss champ and swisstool will be coming home with me . When in doubt buy both :grin:

I like this guy already. He reminds me of me.  :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 09:47:01 PM
I couldn't imagine how, given the option, anyone could restrict oneself to only a single knife blade when there were also bottles to uncap, holes to punched, cans to be opened etc. in the world.

I got a Case knife a while back, just to see what all the hype about them was, and I came to exactly the same conclusion!

When in doubt buy both

Isn't that what we suggested the last time you posted here?  Nice to see you are paying attention!  Of course if you think we are bad, I'd suggest avoiding SOSAK like the plague!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 09:08:56 AM
Isn't that what we suggested the last time you posted here?  Nice to see you are paying attention!  Of course if you think we are bad, I'd suggest avoiding SOSAK like the plague!

Def
That's a good piece of advice ;D

I edc'd my swisschamp a few years back, and while it's a bit bulky your never short of a tool :)

Plus as you say there completely Uk legal so i'd say go for it mate, or keep saving and get an XAVT :D...

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=201&Itemid=35
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline zackhugh

Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 09:45:07 AM

I couldn't agree more.  Once I got my Champion it was over.  I had never seen anything as nicely made and frankly, so beautiful, in a pocketknife.  That was many SAKs ago.  Not really such thing as "too many" SAKs anyway, right?  ;D

I kinda EDC a Swisschamp right now.  I say kinda because it's not on my belt but I have it with the SOS kit in my briefcase along with a spare wrench from the Sportratchet (IMHO a fine accessory in and of itself) in a homemade sheath.  I don't use these that often but they've come in handy more than a few times.  I just like knowing they're there.  Even those small pliers on the Swisschamp come in handy.  While they're too small for big tasks where you'd need a PowerPliers or Charge, they can get into small spaces where those tools wouldn't work.  Somehow I'd doubt you'd regret EDCing a Swisschamp if the weight weren't a concern.  Otherwise you might consider a Champion Plus (on sale at Amazon, as noted in another post) and a Juice or Leatherman Mini-Tool (if you can track one down).

Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 02:20:16 PM
What part of the Uk are you from mate?

I'm guessing scotland by your user name ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 02:24:20 PM
Too many SAKs huh?  I've got somewhere around 200-250, with more new ones on the way all the time.  And I need more- after all Wenger has that new Ranger line, there's this year's SOSAK knife, the vintage Golfers and the Mauser I have coming, the Scibeer custom Explorer I'm waiting not so patiently for....

Then there's that Alinghi.... and the Giant, and the XAVT...

So many SAKs, so little money!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 04:38:35 PM

You are spot on I am just outside Glasgow

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 04:57:10 PM
Very cool.  My mother is from King's Park!

Def

Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 06:56:19 PM

well I'm Dahn Salf, kent to be precise :)

welcome aboard fella :)

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 06, 2007, 07:19:32 PM
Very cool.  My mother is from King's Park!

Def
Thats funny I was out that way about a month ago on enquiries(I am a cop)

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 07:22:43 PM

Kent is lovely I spent some time in Ashford many years ago

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #16 on: August 06, 2007, 08:06:35 PM
Not to hijack the thread,but what multi-tools would be UK legal? I'm sure the LM Knifeless Fuse should be,but what other current production models would be safe?

BTW,I'm a McClain,descended from MacLaine of Lochbuie
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 08:08:21 PM by Bison56 »
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: August 06, 2007, 08:15:47 PM
In theory, anything without a locking blade should be legal for anyone to carry.  I think beyond that, any locking blade is legal provided they have a justification for carrying it.  Beyond mincing a busload of nuns that is.

Dunc carries his SwissTool despite the locking blade because as a rescue worker, it's a part of his gear.

I imagine much like the law over here, if you don't act like a twit with it, virtually anything is legal.  No one wants to do paperwork for a charge that will be dropped when it reaches the courthouse.

Def

Offline zackhugh

Reply #18 on: August 06, 2007, 10:09:42 PM
Too many SAKs huh?  I've got somewhere around 200-250, with more new ones on the way all the time.  And I need more- after all Wenger has that new Ranger line, there's this year's SOSAK knife, the vintage Golfers and the Mauser I have coming, the Scibeer custom Explorer I'm waiting not so patiently for....

Then there's that Alinghi.... and the Giant, and the XAVT...

Def

Too true.  I'm interested in the new Rangers and the Alinghi as well.  Don't know about the Giant unless there's a deal on one somewhere.  Cool piece for a collection.

I had a bunch of SAKs before joining MT.org but just HAD to obtain an OHT after coming here. 

There's a guy I bought some knives from whose sig file was "There will always be one more knife."  Well, in this case, there will always be one more SAK.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 01:30:57 AM

Def

.....Well, in this case, there will always be one more SAK.

OT, but someday we need to put together a compilation of all our SAK and Multitool phrases.    :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 07, 2007, 01:36:28 AM
You mean like "Given the choice between A and B, pick C, all of the above?"

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: August 07, 2007, 01:39:05 AM
You mean like "Given the choice between A and B, pick C, all of the above?"

Def

Oooh, another one for the SAK & Multitool Maxims list!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 07, 2007, 01:49:35 AM

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #23 on: August 07, 2007, 04:30:40 AM
Another goody!

Oh, and what about Lonediver's signature: "I rarely have met a multi tool that I did not like."

Reply #24 on: August 07, 2007, 10:08:20 AM

Kent is lovely I spent some time in Ashford many years ago
Ashford sadly has changed quite a lot now :cry: there are a lot off problems caused by some of the immigrants down there >:(

Reply #25 on: August 07, 2007, 10:16:47 AM
Not to hijack the thread,but what multi-tools would be UK legal? I'm sure the LM Knifeless Fuse should be,but what other current production models would be safe?

BTW,I'm a McClain,descended from MacLaine of Lochbuie
As it stands to be completley legal edc the knife blade can not be over 3 inches and must not lock >:(

Having said that you can carry what you want within reason as long as you,ve got a good reason too.

A swiss tool or spirit are fine by me because i cycle everywhere, so i've got a good reason to carry one, If however i was walking to the shop for instence, I'd technically be breaking the law ::)

I think most sak's and multi's are fine from all but overzealous copper's (and one sodding train guard) sadly I doubt the same can be said about OHT's and the ranger series, which is a shame coz there great knives.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: August 07, 2007, 04:11:36 PM
Maybe you should use my excuse?

"Officer I do have a legitimate reason for carrying it.  You see, I have a steel plate in my foot and should it become a complication at any time I am to take a couple of shots of vodka and my handy SwissTool...."

:o

Def

Reply #27 on: August 07, 2007, 08:45:02 PM
Maybe you should use my excuse?

"Officer I do have a legitimate reason for carrying it.  You see, I have a steel plate in my foot and should it become a complication at any time I am to take a couple of shots of vodka and my handy SwissTool...."

:o

Def
I bet you a right laugh at airports :D ;)

Most copper's who have a couple of years service, are usually pretty sound and decent human beings, SPECIAL constables are another matter entirely ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: August 07, 2007, 08:46:48 PM
Over here we call them "THPETHUL."

Go on, yell that as loud as you can and I am certain you will get a good reaction....

Def

Reply #29 on: August 07, 2007, 08:49:23 PM
Over here we call them "THPETHUL."

Go on, yell that as loud as you can and I am certain you will get a good reaction....

Def
:D :D :D :D :D

that about sum half of em up! ;D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68