Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

restored a old toy, (BIGFOOT RC)

Zed · 26 · 3742

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
restored a old toy, (BIGFOOT RC)
on: May 13, 2010, 11:38:24 AM
I was brought this a birthday present in the very early 80's my uncle helped me turn it into bigfoot as i was a big fan back then, i saw a movie called take this job and shove it (ive still got the original VHS) my uncle was a avid model maker and artist, i got into both over the years, well sadly no before pics as didnt think there would be a lot of interest but here is it done, its still pretty quick and the girls love playing with it not me of course  ::),we fitted a winch back then as well and it works,im still a big kid at heart  ;) i picked up another similar truck from a market 2 years ago and used that for parts, as some bits was broke off and the tires was worn out,i added the clips and modern arial,    

paul

a pic from the movie

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:17:00 PM by Zed »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: restored a old toy, (BIGFOOT RC)
Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 12:13:24 PM
probably no interest here but i dont go on any model /rc forums as this has been more a labor of love than a interest,my aunty got it for me in the early 80's and it was her who i watched all these cool movies with and my uncle who was very creative, sadly she passed away last year of cancer, it was her 3rd time , i still cant believe she is gone, it was her who got me into collecting and helped me back in the 80's with my knife passion,i owe a lot to her , my mum found this truck up her loft in a big bag 15 years ago and i got it off her around 10-11 years ago, i started fixing it in about 2000, stopped a lot of times, and been at it on and off, i decided a few months back to finnish it, im happy with it as i remember how much fun it was as a kid to play with and seeing my girls faces as they ram it in to walls  :ahhh  :D i wondered has anyone else got something from there youth that means something to them and brings back nice memories ,

paul 

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 12:16:56 PM
That's excellent. :D  Can it crush matchbox cars? :o

:D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 12:27:35 PM
You did a great job on it. I would have really loved to see a before picture.

I was into RC as a kid...oh...um...er...wait. I really haven't outgrown that aspect at all with my airsoft shooting tanks (which by the way, if you want something truly fun to play with, I highly recommend).  :salute:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 12:30:54 PM
cheers guys , yes gareth it can crush little cars  :D in fact it has 2 gear levels, low so can climb over stuff easy but slow to drive , and high gear plus turbo on the remote and is pretty fast for its age, no suspension so realys on its soft tires, i can see why i had fun in my back garden with it,and chako i dont think growing up is a must thing to do mate, lifes to stressy so its nice to have some fun   :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:59:54 PM
i did this one for my step brother last year, he is a big A team fan,

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 01:40:28 PM
Thanks for the pics... and bringing back some childhood memories!

Both of them look great!
- Terry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 01:45:23 PM
I haven't built a model kit in about 15 years, but before that I built so many that I had to start giving them away as I had no room for all of them!  I never got too much into modding RC's, although that would have been the next step, as I have a pretty good interest in them as well.  I keep saying I'm going to build a helicopter RC one of these days, but so far I haven't even gotten a decent kit.

One of these days....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 01:50:36 PM
I haven't built a model kit in about 15 years, but before that I built so many that I had to start giving them away as I had no room for all of them!  I never got too much into modding RC's, although that would have been the next step, as I have a pretty good interest in them as well.  I keep saying I'm going to build a helicopter RC one of these days, but so far I haven't even gotten a decent kit.

One of these days....

Def

i would love to build a rc helicopter, possibly airwolf,  :D the only problem i find is rc helicopter asre pretty big and expensive, but so cool, another thing on my list to do one day  ;)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 02:11:28 PM
There was one, I think it was called a HoneyBee, that another member here some time ago was suggesting I start with.  I think they were available for around $100 on eBay and various 'net dealers.  I can't seem to find one to link to at the moment though.....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 02:19:20 PM
There was one, I think it was called a HoneyBee, that another member here some time ago was suggesting I start with.  I think they were available for around $100 on eBay and various 'net dealers.  I can't seem to find one to link to at the moment though.....

Def

:tu: thanks def, i can imagine the girls faces down the park , they would love it ,  :D

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 02:35:29 PM
Have never modded any RC models, built plenty of regular model kits in the past, wish I had a better workarea/shop to be able to do some stuff again... I have a couple 71 'Cuda models that need to be finished and put on display some day... Also have a Mystery Machine kit the wife has been after me to do up. That and I've had a plan to do some sort of diorama case/unit for my Boba Fett collection for ages...

That being said those look great! maybe even enough inspiration for me to get something done!
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 02:52:22 PM
Have never modded any RC models, built plenty of regular model kits in the past, wish I had a better workarea/shop to be able to do some stuff again... I have a couple 71 'Cuda models that need to be finished and put on display some day... Also have a Mystery Machine kit the wife has been after me to do up. That and I've had a plan to do some sort of diorama case/unit for my Boba Fett collection for ages...

That being said those look great! maybe even enough inspiration for me to get something done!

i know what you mean mate i would love a proper work space, i have to clear my stuff away after working on stuff at the moment,

i did about 6-7 old tin plate 69 dodge charger's mostly general lee's but this was my favorite one i did from the new fast and furious

i changed it to a 70's charger and built the engine from parts, these are big 1;16th scale, cars from around 1981

and a few others i did
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 02:57:56 PM by Zed »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 03:05:28 PM
these started usually like this

and with some work, into this, i used to enjoy doing these as made of tin so fun to work on,

« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 03:41:46 PM by Zed »

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 03:37:39 PM
I used to race electric and petrol RC cars when I was younger.  Used to have great fun going around England doing it.

Nice work there pal.  :)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 04:12:26 PM
I used to race electric and petrol RC cars when I was younger.  Used to have great fun going around England doing it.

Nice work there pal.  :)

i would love to have a go at that benner, but sadly i have no sense of direction  :D  i would end up in the tires all the time  :ahhh  i fancy having a go at that rc banger racing with the mardave stuff, i recon that would be fun,

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 05:18:31 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Cool.  You have one for the close-up, around-town shots, and a double for the stunt scenes!
- Terry

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 05:20:46 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Cool.  You have one for the close-up, around-town shots, and a double for the stunt scenes!

being a big dukes fan i built them many ways, even bashed up, ill go and find a pic of my 2nd unit car  :D

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 05:26:32 PM
here are a few i did , different types, jump cars with full rollcages to close up cars, you would be amazed at how fussy some of the people that wanted these made are  :D and rich sephtons wheel stander general lee at the back

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 05:33:05 PM
that's really awesome.

I'd have to import here... those things don't exist. My 'cudas came over with me from Canada...

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 05:46:23 PM
that's really awesome.

I'd have to import here... those things don't exist. My 'cudas came over with me from Canada...

those tin plate general lee's are getting expensive to buy now, when i started you could pay £15-20 for a battered one with potential, not people wont £40-50 for battered ones, i was getting that for restored ones,  :-\ i will have to do another soon as still got a few sets of decals left and vector type wheels,  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 08:48:30 PM
that general has seen better days...

I remember having a plastic one that the roof flipped up so you could get the figures in it... that was many moons ago.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 09:03:06 PM
that general has seen better days...

I remember having a plastic one that the roof flipped up so you could get the figures in it... that was many moons ago.

and sadly like lots of toys we had as kids there worth a fortune now, dont you wish you could go back and keep them all in there boxes  :D

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 09:07:48 PM
and sadly like lots of toys we had as kids there worth a fortune now, dont you wish you could go back and keep them all in there boxes  :D

in a lot of cases, I'd be happy to have them at all, let alone in the box in mint shape. I've moved too many times in my life, and lost way too many things over the years.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 09:22:21 PM

in a lot of cases, I'd be happy to have them at all, let alone in the box in mint shape. I've moved too many times in my life, and lost way too many things over the years.

same with me mate, i was lucky my mum kept that big bag,  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD