Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Calling all Canucks

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Calling all Canucks
Reply #60 on: January 22, 2018, 02:06:36 PM
In Norwegian multitools are non-gender. Knives and scissors are male though.

How do these things get decided anyway? It there like an official gender examination program? Somewhere there are full time employees trying hard to associate a gender with various stuff? How do you become a recognized expert at that? Or maybe the official title isn't expert but grand master, ninja, prophet or similar? Gender whisperer?

My mind is blown. I'll be useless the rest of the day.  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 02:08:46 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #61 on: January 22, 2018, 02:22:26 PM

How do these things get decided anyway? It there like an official gender examination program? Somewhere there are full time employees trying hard to associate a gender with various stuff? How do you become a recognized expert at that? Or maybe the official title isn't expert but grand master, ninja, prophet or similar? Gender whisperer?

That sounds like a kinky profession...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: January 22, 2018, 02:22:50 PM
:nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance: :nanadance:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #63 on: January 22, 2018, 02:38:07 PM

Is it like a cat whisperer?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: January 22, 2018, 03:17:26 PM

Is it like a cat whisperer?

Hard to know without any live sightings of them? Maybe it is the profession of choice for big foot? Surely they have more than one foot though? Although one really big foot might explain the name. One big foot might lead to the infamous circle walking syndrome.

Edit: I think I just solved the circular patterns in corn fields mystery.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:20:40 PM by Vidar »
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Firm believer of Sturgeon's Law
Reply #65 on: January 22, 2018, 03:21:36 PM

In Spanish multitools are female, knives male and scissors female   :shrug:
There must be a Universal, above-humanity and all-knowing committee that decides that   

but is that commitee male or female?  :ahhh
My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #66 on: January 22, 2018, 03:27:07 PM

There must be a Universal, above-humanity and all-knowing committee that decides that   

Finally, proof that aliens are here. I'll blame them for all the silly comittees then.

We might need to probe for that? With we I mean someone else.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #67 on: January 22, 2018, 04:46:09 PM

In Spanish multitools are female, knives male and scissors female   :shrug:

(Image removed from quote.)

In portuguese, everything is female! Huh... I mean, MTs and knives and scissors... Although pliers are male, just like hammers.

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #68 on: January 22, 2018, 05:01:36 PM
...one of each multitool.....
One of each? Tsk tsk, you know "one is none, two is one"   :twak:

:D

Now we have to come up with a proper name for our ark...  :think:

So, according to your previous statement... The Ark of Threesomes?

I was more thinking in the lines of "GLMS Unworkable"  :P
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #69 on: January 22, 2018, 10:52:53 PM
So, according to your previous statement... The Ark of Threesomes?

I was more thinking in the lines of "GLMS Unworkable"  :P

How about a compromise? "Unworkable threesomes"? I've already did the footwork and the internet domain is still available. Amazingly a google search on that shows that the Canadian High Court, no less, have ruled that it is unworkable to use the law against immoral threesomes. Geez, I should really get back to working!  :D
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #70 on: May 05, 2018, 10:02:23 PM
Little BUMP for this subject  :facepalm:

"Warriors and Wonders is Canada's largest online knife retailer and undoubtedly the best source of Spyderco in Canada. This was just posted on their website;
'Important notice: Due to a recent CBSA decision, we are no longer able to import Spyderco folding knives. As individual items sell out, they will be removed from our web site.' "

My toys:

MTs: Surge (2x), Skeletool CX, Rebar, Blast, Fuse, Micra, Squirt (3x), Wave, Crunch, Mini, Spirit (2x), Pro Scout, MP700 (2x), Diesel, Powerlock, PowerPlier (2x), PocketPowerPlier, Blacktip , ST6 (2x), 5WR, A100

SAKs: Bantam, Executive, Ambassador, Minichamp, Classic Alox, Champion, Farmer, Explorer, Swisschamp, Golf Tool, Wenger Champ, EVO 52, Pocket Tool Chest

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #71 on: May 05, 2018, 10:39:39 PM
How fast can you say “smugglers”  :)
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #72 on: February 15, 2019, 03:20:55 AM
Little BUMP for this subject  :facepalm:

"Warriors and Wonders is Canada's largest online knife retailer and undoubtedly the best source of Spyderco in Canada. This was just posted on their website;
'Important notice: Due to a recent CBSA decision, we are no longer able to import Spyderco folding knives. As individual items sell out, they will be removed from our web site.' "

I noticed warriors and wonders carries Spyderco again so theyve been getting knives again.  Can't find any mention of what changed.  Amazon canada sells Spyderco too and theyre in stock.  So doesnt look like we're missing out any more.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline CallsignBadger

• No Life Club
  • Honey Badger Don't Care
Reply #73 on: February 15, 2019, 04:53:00 AM
 :facepalm:

Good luck you guys  :salute: I hope you can keep your rights to a basic tool  :-\

au Offline Valkie

Reply #74 on: February 18, 2019, 02:52:49 AM
I shall try and explain gender specifics in all things mechanical.

As explained to me by an elderly tradesman many years ago.

I asked him why he referred to machines and cars as females, whereas the tools we used as males.

He stated that was because females were temperamental, unpredictable, usually played up at the worst possible time and could kill you.

tools, on the other hand, predictable, functional were used to do useful things, and, while they could hurt you, they rarely killed you.

He was never married.

I now know why.
tools is what defines us as humans

Offline Old man Chris

Reply #75 on: February 18, 2019, 06:24:11 PM
Some ZT and Kershaw are alledgedly comming in ( as per several people on Canadian Knives and Gear ) well . Spyderco stuff is deffo comming in Warriors is selling out on new stuff , and bringing in more .

Not sure WTAF is going on . Outfits like MEC and Victorinox have lots of OHO stuff ( visited the Swiss Army Store in Toronto ) .

Best Regards ,

Chris

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #76 on: March 01, 2019, 03:47:58 AM
I may not be up to date on this.  I see that the mountain equipment coop (mec.ca) carries the victorinox soldier lock blade and rangergrip.  Both have one hand opening lock blade knives but also have several other functions including separate screwdrivers and saws.  They also carry the Gerber Order drop point knife which certainly looks like a oho knife and the Buck Spitfire knife which they advertise as OHO.  There are at least two more that are single blades and at least designed to be opened one handed.  They used to carry the Sentinel - a oho single blade knife but do not have it in their catalogue now (at least on line).

I also see that Warriors and Wonders seems to be carrying a lot of one hand opening knives - not sure if this is old stock or they are now able to bring in new stock from across the border.

My question relates to the definition of a one hand opening knife - are the knives (OHO) with other separate implements not covered by this ban?  As you may know I had a sanrenmu/land oho knife seized by the "gentlemen" at the border about a year ago.  I don't really wish to donate further to their cause but would like to know the answer to this question.

Also are there changes to the application of their ruling because it certainly seems to me that the wholesalers in Canada have managed to get around the border "security" ruling.  One way would be to have the supplier tighten up the pivot screws - I wonder if this is the case?

Thank you.

John.

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #77 on: March 01, 2019, 03:53:37 AM
Further to the above Warriors and Wonders has under New Products a number of oho knives - mentioned by Chris above.

Anyone who can clarify this - it would be appreciated.

John.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: March 02, 2019, 04:50:50 AM
Further to the above Warriors and Wonders has under New Products a number of oho knives - mentioned by Chris above.

Anyone who can clarify this - it would be appreciated.

John.

hey John, here are the news I read yesterday about this "situation":  :salute:

W&W just got the first shipment from ZT in years. Also, for the first time in years (if ever?) knifecenter policy has been updated where they will now ship ZT knives to Canada.

My toys:

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #79 on: March 03, 2019, 02:23:06 AM
ThePeacent - thanks for the information.  Can you let me know where you saw this?

I was by a local shop today and noted that they had quite a good selection of oho knives - including Spyderco and Benchmade (a lot of other makes also).  I had a discussion with the younger gentleman behind the counter.  He advised that they do not import anything - they get it from wholesalers.  Before Christmas (Dec. 2018) he said they were very low on stock but just before Christmas they were able to get a good supply in.  He seemed to think that bringing in small quantities and "non threatening" looking knives was the key to getting them by customs.  I did note a number of flippers and others that certainly looked like customs would stop them.

In short I am somewhat at a loss as to what is going on.  Could it be that commercial entries are now allowed but personal ones are not??  I just don't know.

John.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #80 on: March 03, 2019, 07:27:53 PM
ThePeacent - thanks for the information.  Can you let me know where you saw this?
Could it be that commercial entries are now allowed but personal ones are not??  I just don't know.

John.

that seems to be the case,
and I read that update from a Canadian member of BladeForums  :dunno:
My toys:

ca Offline jcs0001

Reply #81 on: March 21, 2019, 12:10:22 AM
I don't propose to "beat this to death" however I see a bit in our latest federal budget saying that there will be money to have the same civilian oversight group that deals with the RCMP, deal with the border people.

From CBC Internet:

"Tucked away in the Liberals' 2019 budget, tabled Tuesday, was an announcement that Ottawa will assign an independent review agency to the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)."

At least now we will have an independent body to complain too :D

John.

es Offline ThePeacent

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #82 on: March 24, 2019, 05:58:27 PM
I am afraid John that I have not so good news.
To quote the original poster:

"I received this email yesterday:
This is to inform you that a government response to petition e-1552, which you signed on the petitions website of the House of Commons, was tabled on March 18, 2019. You can view the response online, on the petitions website, at https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1552."

My toys:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%