Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Juice CS4 opinions

Offline searcher37

Juice CS4 opinions
on: August 08, 2007, 11:07:11 PM
Hello, I'm new here. I just bought a Juice CS4 on another forum. Whats your opinion of this tool? I got it with the clear sheath too. I've never owned a Leatherman, but I have owned multi tools for years.
Thanks
Rob

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Juice CS4 opinions
Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:56:10 PM
The Juice models are really quite handy for the occasional and light duty user.  Don't try to maintain a Freightliner with it, but it should handle most jobs well enough.

When it comes to Juice models I suggest sticking with the Cs4 or Kf4 since the XE6 is a little big, and I like the added versatility over the C2 and S2 models.  I've never used the polycarbonate sheath myself, but the Juice models are easily small enough to fit in your pocket if you don't like it.  All in all, a great introduction to the multitool world!

Yah done good!

And, you made the next smartest multitool move by joining up here!  Welcome to Multitool.org!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 12:45:02 AM
Howdy Searcher37!
Do you have any specific uses or tasks done on a regular basis that your Cs4 will be helping out with?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline searcher37

Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 12:50:45 AM
No specific tasks. Just the everyday stuff. I have a multi tool that I use for work. I'm a heavy equipment operator. My old Gerber has served me well.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 01:56:41 AM
No specific tasks. Just the everyday stuff.
Welcome!  :) I think any Juice series makes a great EDC tool! My favorite was the KF4, till it got discontinued  :cry:.
By the way, what Gerber have you been using?

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 02:28:26 AM
Great tool; it's not much bigger than a SAK when closed, but the pliers are pretty big considering the size.  I like the "S" model over the "C"...I use scissors a lot more than a corkscrew.
[

Offline searcher37

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 06:58:22 AM

By the way, what Gerber have you been using?[/quote]

Its an old one. I bought in the early 90's. Its a good old war horse though. I think I'm really going to like the Juice.
Thanks guys

Rob

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 07:14:51 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Its an old one. I bought in the early 90's.
Now we're going to have to know what Gerber it is!  There's always the chance it's one Bob doesn't own yet :P
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #8 on: August 09, 2007, 08:22:01 AM
The CS4 is good, but I don't like how the handles aren't the same thickness.  Feels funky.  ???

I agree that the KF4 was the best until it went the way of the Dodo.  They must not be selling, or maybe yellow was too girly of a color.  Still, if you can find one, it's the best.  I never had much use for a wine opener.  My drinks don't have corks.   :cheers:

Ricky

-

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 12:00:19 AM
The CS4 is good, but I don't like how the handles aren't the same thickness. 
HAHA, I thought I was the only one to be so picky as to let that bother them, but that's been anoying me since I first saw the Juice series. Oh well... But it's nice to know I'm not the only one.  ;D

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 12:32:03 AM
Yea, that one 'crooked' handle/scale always made me cringe...
[

Offline searcher37

Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 07:19:08 PM
The Juice got here this morning. Its smaller than I thought but I really like it  ;D Should make a great EDC. I like the plastic sheath not sure how it will hold up, we'll see. Now I think I'm gonna find a larger Leatherman to replace my old Gerber. I need something pretty durable, any suggestions?
Thanks
Rob

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 08:16:08 PM
Glad you like it! :) If you're looking for the biggest/toughest Leatherman, the Core is probably the one. I like the Wave/Charge/Surge models with the one hand blades and replacable bits, but that's personal preference of course. Really, I think any of the reputable multi-tools out there are pretty durable. Are you thinking about hard use on any one of the implements, or harsh conditions, or just looking for another all around good tool?

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 09:36:35 PM
The only thing about the Juice that might get ya peeved is You are giong to get grit in between the alluminum scale and the liner. It will not effect the preformance at all but the grinding of it when you grip it is kinda a bummer.   

Take that with a grain of salt. I have got used to it, and it does not bother me anymore. By the way what you run. I play daily with a Cat 235.
S

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2007, 09:41:02 PM

The core and surge have the same jaws.  As they came out after the Charge (same jaws as Wave, Blast, etc) and they have the same style, I would bet they are probably the best big jaw tools out there right now.  If you like the simple style handles (PST, etc) then get the Core, but if you like the Wave, get the Surge.  I got a surge and I like it, but it is way heavy for me.  I carry around one of my regular size tools most of the time.

Rick
-

Offline znapschatz

Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 11:00:46 PM
The CS4 is good, but I don't like how the handles aren't the same thickness. 
HAHA, I thought I was the only one to be so picky as to let that bother them, but that's been anoying me since I first saw the Juice series. Oh well... But it's nice to know I'm not the only one.  ;D

The Juice has a unique niche in being SAK-size pocketable with a usefully larger pliers than any offered by Vic.  Because it is a quirky little tool, I don't mind the uneven handle width.  Since it doesn't interfere with function, I consider that part of it's charm, along with having to raise the awl to open and close the saw.  In use, the CS4 performs equivalent to a SAK.  It has a sharp PE blade and saw equal to the same size Vic, which is good as they get.   

As for the other implements: the cork assist is problematic.  After chipping a bottle lip and springing the tool in a leverage attempt (fixed no charge by Leatherman), I no longer use it for that purpose.  Instead, I turn the corkscrew almost all the way down and lever the handle on the lip to break adhesion.  Works every time. 

Screwdrivers are stubby, no reach for deeply countersunk or hard to get at screws, but they are sharply finished, less likely to slip than their SAK counterparts.  This is one of the things I like about Leatherman drivers v. SAK.  The can/bottle opener is just adequate, but will get the job done.  The awl came sub-par, but benefitted from a session of sharpening. 

My CS4 has held up well to moderate use, but I don't expect it to sub for a full size tool when it's necessary to really crank down on something.  Suspended by dummy cord into a jeans pocket, I can forget about it until needed for something.  I think that it's a good multi-tool for something of that size, and if pliers are important to you, the only choice.   

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 01:54:18 AM
How exactly does the assist work?  I could never figure it out.
[

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 07:42:34 AM
I think it works by you showing the tool to your friend, then he ASSISTS you by opening up the bottle because he wants to figure out how it works :)
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 07:50:39 AM
I think it works like the more fancy versions, but like all the multitool features it is a good substitute that works in a pinch.  To make it work, you screw in the corkscrew until it is almost all the way in, then tip the handle (with the assist partially extended) until the notch on the end of the assist rests on the edge of the bottle (it kind of straddles it).  Then lift up on the handle and allow it to pivot around the axis of the assist. It should give you enough leverage to pull the cork out.

Rick
-

Offline searcher37

Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 06:19:20 PM

Take that with a grain of salt. I have got used to it, and it does not bother me anymore. By the way what you run. I play daily with a Cat 235.

I usually spend most of the day on a Case 590 backhoe. We also have an ancient cat, not sure what it is though. I was checking out the Surge, I really like it. I might have to see if any local places have them so I can check them out in person. I'm pretty hard on my tools for work so it has to take alot of abuse. Thanks for all the help.

Rob

Offline znapschatz

Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 06:52:11 PM
I think it works like the more fancy versions, but like all the multitool features it is a good substitute that works in a pinch.  To make it work, you screw in the corkscrew until it is almost all the way in, then tip the handle (with the assist partially extended) until the notch on the end of the assist rests on the edge of the bottle (it kind of straddles it).  Then lift up on the handle and allow it to pivot around the axis of the assist. It should give you enough leverage to pull the cork out.

Rick

Problem is, there is only one notched end.  That makes for an unstable fulcrum, allowing the tool to spread out against the rivets enough to loosen them.  In addition, all that force on one point can cause the glass rim to chip.  Dedicated assists have a double rest for this, which works way better.  I think the Juice assist is a problematic design and after having sprung my CS4 with one, don't use it any more.  The corkscrew is workable without it.   

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #21 on: August 15, 2007, 09:59:17 PM
Good point.  I don't use the assist either if I can avoid it.  If you really did need to use it, you can round of the corners of the notch on the assist.  You'd want to buff it real good too with a buffing wheel to prevent chipping.  But if your wine has a screw top, then you don't have anything to worry about.  ;D Or better yet, if it comes in a box with a rubber stopper.   :cheers:

Rick
-

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 02:35:14 AM
The only thing classier than wine in a box is wine with a screwcap and expiry date!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%