Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

EDC bags

Anthony · 57 · 21168

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: EDC bags
Reply #30 on: June 21, 2008, 01:09:14 PM
so youre selling the old away maybe ;) ?
Well it was only a cheap 10litre Karrimor one :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #31 on: June 21, 2008, 05:45:03 PM
Anybody use one of these http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=12&idproduct=145 I'm thinking of asking for one for my birthday :)

(Image removed from quote.)

I have the prior version with a single row of PALs webbing it's a good EDC-sized pack.  I use one of the bottle pockets to hold a pair of gloves in the colder weather -- very handy.

The only glitch is that the back of the pack bends a bit unless you are carrying a larger load.  That leaves a gap between the pack and your back.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #32 on: June 21, 2008, 06:14:43 PM
I not long ago, picked up one of these http://www.targus.com/uk/product_details.asp?sku=cn600 for my laptop, but I actually use it more for general day-to-day stuff (which is still not very often).

Handy bag though,  as it's made for computer use so there are loads of pockets and dividers that stop everything banging together.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 06:52:52 PM by Benner »
I'm back!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #33 on: June 21, 2008, 06:26:47 PM
so youre selling the old away maybe ;) ?
Well it was only a cheap 10litre Karrimor one :)

oh sorry,im in lifelong hangover and thought u had some old maxpedition there lyin around;).

Reply #34 on: June 21, 2008, 06:50:56 PM
I not long ago, picked up one of these http://www.targus.com/uk/product_details.asp?sku=cn600 for my laptop, but I actually use it more for general day-to-day stuff (which is still not very often).

Handy bag though,  as it's made for computer use so there are loads of pockets amnd dividers that stop everything banging together.

That's not a bad bag at all mate :), thanks for the advice parnass  :cheers:

My hearts pretty set on the Pigmy though ::)

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Recommendations for an EDC bag for my Black Widow .........
Reply #35 on: June 22, 2008, 11:34:49 PM
 I just picked up a used S&W  637  2" and I am looking for a bag/pouch/etc to carry the weapon in and possibly my small cell phone. I tried a couple small camera bags however the 637 was too tall to zip the bag closed. I am now looking at a Maxpedition  M-5. Any other suggestions?

TIA
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 06:09:22 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 22, 2008, 02:54:49 PM
talkin about edc,many of u seem to have firsat aid kits,but how many of u know how to give aid etc?

some lessons taken by any?

i only have the finnish ea1 and ea2 courses/lessons taken and one of my friends is this cute young doctor who promised to learn me how to stitch properly since he saw me stitching my self last winter with fishing line and some needle.ha promised to hand over some proper sterilized needles and threads for use&practise too.theyre quite cool ones,since theyre like welded or glued together and have this sturdy package.

do they teach eny further skill there,here they dont,but in army i learned something about big wounds after being shot etc.the best tip i got from one instructor was to forget all the smart-a ties and folding bandages if shot,and stuff a tampon in wound.

what do u carry in your first aid kits?

ive seen some foreign kits,they look a lot better than ours.u guys have there already painkillers and antibiotics when u buy em from stores it seems.here its just bandaids,scissors,few alcohol wipes etc,minimal stuff.

http://pikaopas.net/index.php/component/seyret/?task=videodirectlink&id=55
im intrested of this cause i have a tendency to hurt myself bit more than just some minimal cuts and bruises >:D

in lappland u really have to know what to do if youre alone or in small group 50 km´s away from anybody who could hepl and cell´s dont work or cold has killed the battery so u cant call for any assistance.

ive sewn a lot of deep cuts,pressed bones back together after theyve snapped and came out from skin etc.but i havent done any gunshot F-A.

i recently bough a brand new kit like this for worst case scenario and She,the doc,promised to teach something about removing schrapnels etc from flesh.just for fun,i like to learn stuff like this.for the apocalypse :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:13:51 PM by Tarrodemierda »

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 02:41:26 PM
well this seems to be some sort of edc bag for me,since i keep opening it all the time,during evenings at school and i drag it back to home every weekend,and then back to school.it sure aint the lightest or even hold any essentials,i could manage without all of those but im a gadget freak,and u never know when the s--t hits the fan and its time to grab some tools :D

Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 02:57:38 PM
You sure you've got enough stuff there mate :D

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 03:03:00 PM
i donno mate;).

well actually there is more that there usually is sincce i packed up almost all of my stuff regerding small outdoor gear i have at school since at next week i wont be goin there at all,due to my others school things.i have to spend some time at the bike/metal engineering classes next week.therefor ai can also leave the "spend all my time with multis at nights"-stuff away and spend time with our dogs and my gal.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: August 09, 2008, 11:58:52 PM
bit ot BUT talkin about the contains of these edc bags/kits,id like to ask your advise on buying survival tin.i have some plastic ones but id like to have also one made from steel or aluminium.something under 2" thick and 5" x 7 " sideways.
waterproof most  likely but it would be cool if a man can cook in it a bit.

any suggestions or even better,LINKS ?

:gimme: :cheers: :D

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 10, 2008, 12:24:12 AM
Two things I want to say here, one relevant, one not.

1) I carry a black "shoulder bag" the main pocket for assorted crap, an interior pocket for my PST & and third pocket for my huge wads of cash.

2) in response to the knife case above - last week two men were arrested for carrying screwdrivers...
They were charged for "being armed to commit an indictable offense"

Now, for all I know they were dodgy gits and about to cause all hell, but they hadn't done so yet, at the time of arrest, they merely possessed screwdrivers.

(There is a lesson here, always carry your plumbers license, if you can convince someone it's work, you can get away with all kinds of ill doings.)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 10, 2008, 01:22:24 AM
im lucky to live here where things havent gone that far,here u can carry a bag like that and get checked by cops,and if i say that they are needed in my kind of studies in school,its all ok by them.

i just say that i dont leave my stuff at school to get robbed.and those things are in use every day.well most of them are.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: August 10, 2008, 01:48:46 AM
I've been trying out an L.L. Bean Turbo Sling Bag for the past few days. It's definitely a winner around town but we'll really see how it performs once I can get into the woods.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: August 10, 2008, 01:53:53 AM
Ah yes, the fabled Turbo Bag.

With Extreme Pockets! & Go-Fast Zippers!

Damn kids with your fancy nylons & angry colours.

In my day we had Brown Canvas & we liked it!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 10, 2008, 02:00:05 AM
Hey nomad,i hear you.

tin cloth,waxed fabrics,sailor bags,canvas,i like em all.
and i even have one tin cloth old school backpack that ill never give away.

i think one of the main reasons at the beginning,when i started to buy military bags,was the colour schema,i dont like bright coloured ones,but i like brown,olive green,black,etc.and army stuff has loads of those colours and they tend to be very rugged but still simplified in their own way.

but i would still try slingbag one of these days,i hear theyre pretty good when cycling.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 03:39:25 AM
k & m matchcases... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:

Offline Hoghead

Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 04:02:53 AM
k & m matchcases... :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme:

Did I miss something? Where did you see the k & m matchcase? Got a link?  :salute:

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 04:10:35 AM
http://www.kmmatchcase.com/

i were just reading thru all kinds of edc threads and came acoss th k&m and started to drool intantly.

i think that its way too expensive and im tryin to make my own match case at tuesday out of 1" aero-grade aluminium.
i even got the little button compass to put in :D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 04:14:14 AM by Tarrodemierda »

Offline Hoghead

Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 04:38:30 AM
Thanks! I've carried a brass Silva match case/compass for years. I can't fnd them in brass any more, so the last two I bought were aluminum.

Here's a link to the aluminum Silva match case from the EDC Depot. They are out of stock.
https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=4&products_id=180

It's nice to find a place that has them. I think I'll have to get the "long brass" because I use the REI wind & waterproff matches. I have just been cutting the matches down a little to fit. I also carry one of those trick birthday candles that you can't blow out in each match case.

Thanks again!!!

My wife and daughter and two of my grandsons carry the Silva match case/compass. A third grandson is getting a aluminum one for his birthday this year.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 11:55:04 AM
if u read in the k&m site about their history,youll find out that some of k&m´s are sold under Silva brand too.

id relly like to have that  brass one too man ;)

REi matches ?

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Re: Rubber coated Blaster's match holders ....
Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 08:56:13 PM

These were given to me ( late 1960's ) by an old time blaster after I removed a couple of cases of exuding dynamite ( that was leaking nitroglycerine  and forming explosive crystals on the outer box because the wooden boxes were not turned over on a regular basis so the nitro would not leak from the paper wrappers ). He took them down off a shelf and said they had been in the shed for years, no one ever used match lite fuse anymore, it was all electrically fired. They have been sitting on my desk for 40+ years. They are marked " Chapman Co., Hammond, IND " on the bottom, I have no reason to doubt that is what they are. I did email the Hammond Library to see if they could tell me anything about the Company, it will probably be a couple days before I hear back.  I used  Acetone to neutralize the nitoglycerine, old trick and still used by bomb squads / EOD units today, although the dynamite recipe has been changed over the years and the newer dynamite does not exude ( at least it's not suppose to).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:10:15 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: August 10, 2008, 09:00:34 PM
pm sent ;)

Offline Hoghead

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #54 on: August 11, 2008, 04:11:51 AM
are those also strike anywhere.sort of matches?

bit expensive but seems to be nicely done.

:cheers:

Offline Hoghead

Reply #55 on: August 11, 2008, 06:07:05 AM
are those also strike anywhere.sort of matches?

bit expensive but seems to be nicely done.

No, they are not strike anywhere matches. They need to be struck on the side of the box or a card with a striker surface. The REI matches come with two extra striker cards (enclosed in a plastic sheeve) that are about the size of the side of the match box. I carry the two extra strikers in the match case.

To light the match, I hold a striker card on the side of the match case (to provide a hard surface) and push the match into and forward into the striker. That way the matches don't break like they do if you press and pull.

I used to use the strike anywhere matches. I would pick the best matches from the box for my match case, but if I carried them for awhile a half to a third of them would fail to light.

I have used the REI matches for about five years and I don't remember ever having one fail to light. They are not what you would want for lighting twenty cigarettes a day, but for starting camp fires they are great. It's easy to start a fire with one match and some tinder. When I was a kid I was told to use only one match to start a fire, but it was tough sometimes in the ever present wind. The REI matches flare for most of the length of the match and they are wind and water proof. These are the best matches I've found. I have tried all of the matches that I'm aware of except for the British life boat matches. Most of the water proof matches don't seem any better than strike any where matches.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: August 11, 2008, 11:34:25 AM
ok,hey thanks,i think ill be havin those then since u do the selling speech so good :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32
Site Currency: USD