Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Handguns - any thoughts on small frame 45 auto ??? (AMMENDED)

Offline mpi

Re: Handguns - any thoughts on small frame 45 auto ??? (AMMENDED)
Reply #30 on: November 08, 2007, 05:11:44 AM
i have g23 and g22 both with 357 sig conversion barrels  and love them both.  course my novak browning is more lovable than both.  I've been shooting the 357 since it came out and am very satisfied with it.

My edc on most days, I'm a PI, is a keltec p3at in a backpocket holster by guru gunleather.  just disappears in my pocket.

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #31 on: November 08, 2007, 06:01:10 AM
Some people just dont like Kel-Tec, and I dont know why.  A gun dealer that I know is a dealer for Gary Reeder Custom, Kimber, Freedom arms, and Kel-Tec.  He carries a Kel-Tec, I believe that it is the same model that you have.  To me that speaks volumes for that gun.  Although I have not shot one, the guy that I know shoots his a lot and says that he has never had a stoppage, ever.  I personally would prefer a Snubby Smith for CCW.  However, that Kel-Tec looks better everytime that I see it. 

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #32 on: November 09, 2007, 10:59:11 AM
Heck of a deal. :cheers:  How does it feel as compared to the original?  I have the old glock 21 and the grip is large.  I guess the SF is supposed to be "the" gun to get this year.

I started shooting a 1911 Colt when I was 15 , and it's always been a favorite.  The 21SF is a lot easier to grip and hold than a "full" size 45. I really wanted the full size 1911 that SIG makes but the comfort factor of the grip of the 21SF was really the deciding factor. My SIG 220 Carry ( 2 tone - DAK model ) is also a nice weapon to carry. I sold everything else and just have the two 45's above for now.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 11:03:03 AM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #33 on: November 09, 2007, 03:16:47 PM
How is the DAK trigger?  Isn't it supposed to be a consistent pull on every shot?  Or am I thinking about a different trigger configuration.  I have had no problem with the Glock trigger since I bought a set of A-zoom snap caps and started doing trigger pull drills for about 5 minutes a day.  As for the G-21 I had a problem at first with the grip size but after shooting it a lot I got used to it.  The SF model is highly reviewed because of the smaller grip size, people love it.  The next .45 that I buy will be a 1911 though.  I have never owned one.  I want that Taurus 1911 with all the bells and whistles for about $600.  The lasergrips alone are worth $200 and I have not read any reviews that would suggest that it is anything but a great gun.  However, my gunsmith friend wants to build a custom 1911 to see how well he can do one up with all the parts that are available now, and I might take him up on the offer.  I have handled one of the 1911s that he had built back in the 1980s as a bullseye gun and I was impressed.   

Offline Biru

Reply #34 on: November 09, 2007, 05:17:30 PM
I bought my first 1911A1 last year, a Springfield GI Stainless. We had an instance a few years back where three "gentlemen", in an attempt to burglarize a storage building on our property, threw a large log through the building door to gain access. After calling the police (it took 45 minutes for the officer to arrive), I went out with a ball bat. Fortunately, they weren't interested in trouble and ran. I decided I needed something more convincing had they decided to enter our home. One thing I'll say, that 1911's business end will give a troublemaker something to consider. The trigger is very crisp, though I have to say I wish I'd have gotten the Colt WWII reissue instead. My GI shoots low for me, yet my younger sister has very good luck with it. I need to practice with it more. I'm wanting to get a CZ75B next. That thing, for a reasonably priced pistol, drives tacks. Good Luck on your 1911 purchase. Regards, Bill.

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #35 on: November 09, 2007, 05:19:01 PM
How is the DAK trigger?  Isn't it supposed to be a consistent pull on every shot?  Or am I thinking about a different trigger configuration. 

You are correct - Developed by the engineers at Sig-Sauer in Germany, the new DAK trigger system delivers a smooth, consistent 6.5-pound full-length trigger pull that is much closer to the weight of a Glock than any conventional DAO but also has complete restrike capability without any pretensioning or prestressing of the internal firing mechanism.There is nothing magical about the design; everything is accomplished by simple mechanical advantages in the trigger/hammer linkages. The key is that the engineers were able to extend the "leverage arm" of the hammer from the pivot point (like sitting farther from the fulcrum of a seesaw) so that less force is required from the trigger while remaining within the existing pistol frames.
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #36 on: November 09, 2007, 05:43:49 PM
Although I have never had a round not go off when I squeezed the trigger on a centerfire handgun the possibility does exist.  The abailtiy to squeeze the trigger a second time is definately a plus especially when you reload your own ammo.  I say this becuase although I have never had a misfire my friends that reload with a progressive press have had several.  It must be the press.  I have just a single stage press and prime the cartridges with a hand priming tool and I have not had any problems.  Back to triggers, have you ever tried any of the trigger pull reducing or increasing parts?  My friend was a LEO and he seemed to like the NY trigger (8lb connector?) in his glock because he said that it reminded him of one of his older revolvers I am guessing that it had a heavy double action pull.  Personally, I like to concentrate on sight picture rather than trigger pull.  Just keep em lined up and squeeze until it goes bang.  Do that enough on the range or during dry fire drills and you eventually can shoot everything.  That is except for when you switch back to your target rifle from your pistol at the range and you get "suprised" when you let one go a lot sooner than you wanted to. :)   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD
26%