Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Style CS already apart.....

evil510 · 44 · 11515

us Offline evil510

• Envision. Create. Innovate.
Style CS already apart.....
on: May 21, 2010, 08:52:04 PM
I was anxiously awaiting the Style CS to come out. Project Skeletool wanted a matching little brother. Needlesstosay, I was a bit disappointed. Early pics show the CS with a hole on the blade. Later pics show the blade with a nail nick. I understand that this is better for some, depending on where you live and the laws, etc. I wanted the version with the hole but after holding the CS in my hand, I came to the conclusion that even if it had one that it would not be practical or realistic for one hand opening and just for appearance. With the location of the hole, my big-ass thumb would get sliced up in no time. Thumbstuds... you either love 'em or hate 'em. I love them and installed thumbstuds on my Skeletool, Wave and Surge blades. I am setting out to make my CS a true one hand opener by fabricating my own blade with a thumbstud that will keep my fingertip a safe distance away from the blade edge. The blade will more closely match the shape and profile of the Skeletool blade. Also, I straightened out the scale that bends over the tip of the stock blade. It will be supported by a stainless steel strut for support. By doing this, along with moving the cutting edge a little closer to the handle, I will be able to fabricate a blade that is a full 1/2" inch longer. On a tool this small, to me, that is a big difference.....

The finish of the CS is bead blasted, which also doesn't match my Skeletool. So I will give it a brushed finish as well.....

The zytel scale that houses the tweezers... honestly, I hate it and think they went that route just to save them money on production. If I get around to it, I will fabricate my own. Either aluminum, stainless or both. While I am at it, I may add in a toothpick... we'll see. I think after this part is done it will truly look like a little skeletool.....

It falls a little short of replacing my Micra for EDC by not having a large flat driver. The combo phillip/flat tip on the file fits most phillip heads and the flat tip is suitable for eyeglasses. If you've followed some of my other posts, I have this newfound fondness for awls, so, maybe I'll even add another layer with a large flat and awl... still deciding. Nothing a little modding won't be able to fix.....

Anyway, please be patient as I am always juggling a good dozen projects at any given time. I will post progress pics.....

~ evil ~

Step one. Rough template....

::::: to be continued :::::
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:53:40 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Evil's Urban Trekker (on hold)
Shear Evil (on hold)
The Evil Incarnate (a work in progress)

UPDATES:
Evil's Quad Strop Mini introduced.....
Evil's Pocket Octo-Driver introduced.....
Brute Driver HD - COMPLETE

LATEST NEWS:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Re: Style CS already apart.....
Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 08:57:16 PM
You are a very naughty little boy.. >:(

(when are the next pictures?  :D)

us Offline evil510

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 01:20:22 AM
Progress.... initial cuts made, holes drilled, hole tapped for thumbstud, prefit of thumbstud. New blade is .025" thicker and has almost 1/2" more cutting area.....

Folded.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 05:23:37 AM
Ooooh, this looks interesting!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 05:44:53 AM
I like it too. Im gonna see if pliers from a squirt will fit.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 09:33:49 AM
Ooooh, this looks interesting! (Image removed from quote.)
Sure does..  :tu:

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 09:20:58 PM
Progress.... initial cuts made, holes drilled, hole tapped for thumbstud, prefit of thumbstud. New blade is .025" thicker and has almost 1/2" more cutting area.....

Folded.....

Nםow *that* looks like a real blade!!!
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 11:41:10 PM
Now I am beginning to see the meaning in your username  >:D

No multitool is safe  :ahhh :ahhh

I too shall watch with interest

us Offline evil510

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 04:27:20 AM
More progress. Final shaping done. Blade polished. Slightly concave primary bevel with brushed finish. Serrations cut. Time for some sharpening and then install.....

~ evil ~

CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 05:01:00 AM
Evil doer that looks very very cool mate  :salute: :salute:
In the pics the donor blade looks like it is pivoting on a post  :think: Is there going to be a fastener/bolt taped through that post  :think:.

I wonder what you would do too a Leatherman Flair's cocktail fork Mr. Evil (convert it to a proper Devil's pitch fork I reckon :P :P :D :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 06:12:10 AM
nicely done, im impressed :tu:

us Offline evil510

Reply #11 on: May 24, 2010, 10:52:57 PM
Now I am beginning to see the meaning in your username  >:D

No multitool is safe  :ahhh :ahhh
Funny you should say that. Everyone in my real life pretty much says that as well, but not only in regard to multitools... anything and everything that can be modified.....   >:D

Evil doer that looks very very cool mate  :salute: :salute:
In the pics the donor blade looks like it is pivoting on a post  :think: Is there going to be a fastener/bolt taped through that post  :think:.

I wonder what you would do too a Leatherman Flair's cocktail fork Mr. Evil (convert it to a proper Devil's pitch fork I reckon :P :P :D :D
Thanks buddy. The post is the stock post for the tool, although unlike the posts of many other leathermans that are only threaded on one side, the posts on the CS are threaded on both sides. As for the cocktail fork... my slight case of OCD requires anything that I have be kept ultra wicked-sharp.....  :D
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2010, 11:53:04 PM
Looks excellent mate, I'm genuinely impressed.  :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline evil510

Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 01:06:28 AM
Hey gang. A little more progress....

Brushed finish for whole tool, still with standard screws.....

New re-profiled screws, semi-countersunk into new beveled washers.....

Fabricated an awl with extra deep nail nick, still unsharpened. Comparable in size to a juice awl.....

Fabricated washer so that the knife and awl will not clump together (.005" thickness).....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 01:08:02 AM
Amazing work Evil...  :tu:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #15 on: May 30, 2010, 01:09:17 AM
WOW  :gimme:

You have some serious skills dude!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline evil510

Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 11:27:06 PM
Hey gang... me again. A little more progress. Completed awl.....

Tapered thickness towards tip. Blade sharp chisel edge. Holes to better compliment the look and style of tool.....

Backside with nail nick.....

As you can see, the new awl is even bigger than that of a Juice XE-6, all in a package considerably smaller.....

~ evil ~
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:10:22 AM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #17 on: June 03, 2010, 11:44:11 AM
Evil that is the coolest Awl I have ever seen  8) 8) 8) :salute: :salute:

Interested to see how it fits into the whole package  :gimme: :D

us Offline evil510

Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 01:26:12 PM
See what happens when an innocent little tool falls into my evil hands lol. This turned out to be one of those projects that I set off to do with no definite plans in mind that changed along the way (always seems to happen). Originally, I contemplated a 2nd layer on the file side with both an awl and perhaps a large flat driver. When I started fabricating the new knife blade, I realized the width of the channel for the knife had a lot of wasted real estate. If you have this tool, look at it and you will see what I mean. If you have seen some of my other mods, I always try to utilize every bit of space possible on all of my multitools. Anyway, I capitalized on this space and decided to put the awl alongside the knife blade. It was a super tight fit and had to do a little discreet work to make clearance. I am very pleased with the outcome so far. Excuse the quality of the pictures. I didn't get a chance to clean up the tool when I took these. I'll clean it up real nice for its final photo shoot after all the modding is done. I'll even post it alongside its big brother Project Skeletool which I have consistently been asked about..... (see sig at bottom of post)

Tool closed. Backside. Up top you can see the nail nick for the awl. Extra deep cut works very well and deploys easily.....

Tool closed. Front side. Awl secretly residing behind the knife blade.....

Knife deployed. Awl folded into tool. Thumbstud works beautifully for one hand opening. If I can easily open it with my big-ass thumb without slicing off my fingertip, chances are anyone else could without any issues.....

Awl deployed. Knife folded into tool. The special washer worked perfectly. No clumping whatsoever. I've had awls on my tools for years and never used them at all. Earlier this year that all changed and now an awl is one of the things I try NOT to be without. Even the new awl makes the standard blade look small. If there is one thing to know about me is that I keep things wicked sharp. This awl is no exception. ....

Both knife and awl deployed so you can see how they compliment one another and the tool itself.....

Yet another view.....

I am loving this little tool more and more. I can already tell that I will be replacing my Micra for EDC when this is done. Now it is time to tend to the other half of the tool. Now that the plastic scale is off, there is no going back (not that I would anyway). I do plan on a second layer, that much I do know. What exactly will I put in that layer and what materials for the scale, etc. I am still unsure of. I will keep you all posted. I will also try and take pics of the other mods I have been getting asked about on some of my other multitools that I haven't posted yet.......

~ evil ~
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:28:23 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 01:32:36 PM
 :o :o 8) 8) 8) :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :drool: :drool:

Evil that Awl looks as big as the original main blade  :o :D :D :D 8)

GREAT STUFF mate  :salute: :salute:

us Offline evil510

Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 01:34:35 PM
:o :o 8) 8) 8) :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :gimme: :drool: :drool:

Evil that Awl looks as big as the original main blade  :o :D :D :D 8)

GREAT STUFF mate  :salute: :salute:
Actually, it's bigger than the standard blade it came with and almost as big as the new blade I made ;) (shorter by 1/16" of an inch)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 01:38:17 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 04:00:29 PM
Nice work Evil!  :drool:
Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #22 on: June 03, 2010, 04:15:31 PM
Great mod there mate. :tu: Just wondering, is the awl locking in any way?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 03, 2010, 05:35:51 PM
may be a stupid question, but seeing how similar the wl and blade are (apart from the serrated section), why have them both? They both have sharp edges, and a point. Have you made the awl out of a different material so its tip will not snap off where a knife tip would?

us Offline SlackOne

• See Saw Seen
Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 06:08:44 PM
Looks like the awl is chisel ground, and has a thicker, more triangular shape at the tip.  It would be a stronger  reamer just by dint of the shape.  The knife would be a lot better for precise cutting.

Can't wait to see what ends up on the second layer!
Half-ass done wholeheartedly!

us Offline evil510

Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 11:21:47 PM
Great mod there mate. :tu: Just wondering, is the awl locking in any way?
Unfortunately no, it does not lock... but then again neither does the one on my Juice and have been getting along with it just fine. You can control how firmly it snaps into place by the shape of the curve and hump that rubs against the tab. I oversized the profile of these on both the knife and the awl so they are under a bit more pressure than the standard knife so they snap into place quite firmly. I would say they stay in place comparable to the tools on my Juice. I have no doubt it will handle the small tasks I ask of it. I am never too far from another multitool with an even larger more substantial awl. If I come across another CS, I already have ideas for a liner locked blade.....

may be a stupid question, but seeing how similar the awl and blade are (apart from the serrated section), why have them both? They both have sharp edges, and a point. Have you made the awl out of a different material so its tip will not snap off where a knife tip would?
It's not a stupid question and am glad you asked. Even half a year ago, I would of asked the exact same question. As stated, for years awls were the most UN-used item on my multitools... never used them. Never really saw the point in them. SlackOne was spot on with his comment. While they may look similar, they are quite different. The knife has a primary bevel along the whole belly that tapers very thin which would be more prone to chipping depending on the task. Also, it is sharpened with a double edge to be razor sharp for more precise cutting... very sharp but not as resilient to damage. The awl is chisel ground. The thickness from the back to the belly remains the same until it reaches the sharpened edge. This thickness is carried on all the way to the tip. This makes it a much stronger and stout tool for such things as poking, reaming, drilling pilot holes, etc. Also, the grind angle is very different. It only takes one broken tip on your favorite knife to fully appreciate the usefulness of an awl. I am constantly drilling and reaming holes in wood, plastic and aluminum panels. All too often a hole will need to be opened up to a precise diameter and often in places a typical drill would not fit.. The acute angle of the tip of an awl gives you better control over this. No sense in hauling around a drill for simple drilling tasks that you can accomplish with an awl. Hope this better explained things.....

~ evil ~
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 11:31:45 PM by evil510 »
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #26 on: June 04, 2010, 01:15:37 AM
"Because I can" is a perfectly acceptable answer you know Evil? :D
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline evil510

Reply #27 on: June 04, 2010, 01:38:39 AM
"Because I can" is a perfectly acceptable answer you know Evil? :D
Well hell, if I had known that I coulda saved myself a whole paragraph :D  In all seriousness though, I think the awl doesn't get the credit it deserves.....
CURRENT PROJECTS:
Shear Evil (on hold)

UPDATES:

LATEST NEWS:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 01:42:48 AM
I agree.... awls are really useful  :tu:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 03:26:21 AM
I LOVE Awls  :D :D. It is the main reason I just keep coming back to the Vic Spirit , its awl is just tops for pilot holes  8) 8).

+1 on broken blade tips  >:( >:( >:(.

Looking forward to the rest of the project evil  :tu: :tu: :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68