Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Genus Owners Thread

AHB · 57 · 8724

Offline hiljentaa

Re: The Genus Owners Thread
Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 10:43:28 PM
Double post.

00 Offline Kukamunga

• drool, *drool* for cool multitoolz
Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 12:08:57 AM
Went out pruning again today with the dog; a qualified victory.  Limited by ability to get up & get going; arrival of the dawn made real covert-like mission untenable.  Will try again tomorrow.  Guard Duck signing off, sir!

Metro - have you sent yours out for its cerakote...or is pruning season just coming up for you?

Btw, trying to think of a quality name for mine here...with hyper-limited success.  Closest I've come is "Mike" - you know - after that fine 80's b-movie, "Volunteers".  'Well, frankly Beth - Mike and I don't like what were hearin'.'  I guess you had to see it.  Hanks, Candy...Gedde Watanabe - Fake Thailand...Commies, Druglords - come on!   :D

Will try a little harder at name for Genus.   :cry:
...nothing in his pockets but knives and lint...

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 06:13:45 AM
Metro - have you sent yours out for its cerakote...or is pruning season just coming up for you?

I haven't sent it off yet, I have some slingshots I want to send in and it's fall clean up right now so my Reaper is still reaping the harvest as it may :)
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline TK8383

Reply #33 on: March 26, 2014, 05:08:45 PM
Reviving an old thread...

Does anyone know if replacement file/hex keys are available for my Genus?  I've taken Metro's advice and picked up a couple of replacement Felco blades.

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #34 on: March 26, 2014, 11:28:33 PM
Reviving an old thread...

Does anyone know if replacement file/hex keys are available for my Genus?  I've taken Metro's advice and picked up a couple of replacement Felco blades.

A few select online shops carry really old stock. I managed to find 2 on Amazon and Breezy helped me ship the whole bundle to me.

They are pretty damn great. I STILL haven't had time to take apart my Reaper and take it into cerakote.
Why stop now?

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 27, 2014, 07:21:43 AM
reviving this thread because I finally get to join this club! :woohoo:

I actually managed to score TWO Genuses (Genii?) within a couple days of each other -- the first one is NIB, the second is a user. the former went straight into my collection, and the latter needs a little cleaning, but is otherwise in good shape. the saw is slightly bent, but I discovered that the internal blade/saw/Phillips are the same tools as on the Core/ST300. I have some parts from a disassembled Core in my parts stash, so replacing the saw will be a piece of cake. :tu:

I was doing some yardwork today, so I installed a new Felco blade on the user Genus and took it outside... where it was promptly stolen by my wife. :facepalm:

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:02 AM
reviving this thread because I finally get to join this club! :woohoo:

I actually managed to score TWO Genuses (Genii?) within a couple days of each other -- the first one is NIB, the second is a user. the former went straight into my collection, and the latter needs a little cleaning, but is otherwise in good shape. the saw is slightly bent, but I discovered that the internal blade/saw/Phillips are the same tools as on the Core/ST300. I have some parts from a disassembled Core in my parts stash, so replacing the saw will be a piece of cake. :tu:

I was doing some yardwork today, so I installed a new Felco blade on the user Genus and took it outside... where it was promptly stolen by my wife. :facepalm:

We-he-he-ell...congrats on finally joining the club!  Can you hear the party favors and feel the confetti hitting your head?  Or is that just the bar I'm in currently [not]?  Good for you; and two [2] to boot!  A little jealous on the twofer, but honestly am happy I have one at all.

Now, with all due respect...I must say that your wife obviously needs to be punished on some level or another.  Clearly unacceptable.   :D

Well, I've been using mine quite a bit this season.  When using another pruner on occasion, it just leaves me with this empty feeling.   :facepalm:

I have the store-bought goods yet to refurb my Genus, but have not had the time either.  Redoing a roll-top desk and trying to install new bath sinks...I hope I can do it before the next season hits.

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #37 on: July 31, 2014, 06:35:49 PM
Well, Breezy...did you get at least one of your new Genuses back from she-who-must-be-obeyed??

Well, didja?   :D

Threw my back out -- now I can't finish my stupid bath sink nightmare...nor can I do any pruuuuuning with my lovely Genus, still called 'Mike' [until more creative thinking can replace].  Mother pussbucket!

What's the term I want to use?  I don't know, how about, 'I've got a flying mouse to kill - and I want to clean my claws...'.   >:(

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 06:12:36 AM
Well, Breezy...did you get at least one of your new Genuses back from she-who-must-be-obeyed??

:rofl:

not to worry -- she never got her hands on my NIB Genus anyway. :D

I did have a chance to clean up the user for myself us her. I completely disassembled the Genus (handle tools and all), scrubbed everything down, replaced the bent saw with a new-ish saw from a Core, re-installed the new Felco blade, and finished it off with a new Felco handle spring and a good oiling. :tu:

truth be told, she's wanted one of these for a long time, so I don't mind sharing with her. :)

these are easily the nicest pruning shears I've ever used. why oh why did LM stop producing these?? :cry:

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 06:13:33 AM
also -- sorry to hear about your back, Kukamunga. that's never fun to try to recover from. :(

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 09:20:38 PM

I did have a chance to clean up the user for myself us her. I completely disassembled the Genus (handle tools and all), scrubbed everything down, replaced the bent saw with a new-ish saw from a Core, re-installed the new Felco blade, and finished it off with a new Felco handle spring and a good oiling. :tu:

truth be told, she's wanted one of these for a long time, so I don't mind sharing with her. :)

these are easily the nicest pruning shears I've ever used. why oh why did LM stop producing these?? :cry:

I agree; it truly is the best set of pruners I've ever used.  I still want to max them out a little with various paints I've bought, but haven't had the time.  But I digress.  I wonder - did the diplomatic team that met up with LM @ LM HQ ever ask anyone [oh, I don't know - say...Tim Leatherman] why - flipping WHY they discontinued this fine product?  I don't get it, I don't get it...   ::)

I can't share my beloved LM tools with she-who-can't-clean-her-tools.  I've got enough hoops to jump through and I don't get a real respect-the-tool vibe from her either.  Perhaps I should start shopping around?   :D

Or perhaps be more on topic.  In that vein, I found that - unfortunately - I had to re-peen the pin holding in all the folding tools in the handle.  I don't know if anyone else has had that problem with a Genus, but the pin kept slipping out, so it had to be done.  Also, there's play - not side to side, but where the two handles are a bit loosey goosey at the close.  Play as in movement even with the lock on.  So, I've got to shore that up.  I don't know that it's the previous owner's fault, but he obviously didn't care for them.  I asked him if he'd left them out in the rain or something and...he said he had.  That doesn't speak to the play, probably more to the fact that he actually used them a bit...uh, before he left them out in the rain.

Hey, wait...perhaps he should go bowling with my significant other.  Hmmmm... :-X

And thanks for the back comment...will be going to the back store soon.  Right after I get in line over at the brains store.   :salute:  I appreciate it.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 08:06:34 AM

I agree; it truly is the best set of pruners I've ever used.  I still want to max them out a little with various paints I've bought, but haven't had the time.  But I digress.  I wonder - did the diplomatic team that met up with LM @ LM HQ ever ask anyone [oh, I don't know - say...Tim Leatherman] why - flipping WHY they discontinued this fine product?  I don't get it, I don't get it...   ::)

I can't share my beloved LM tools with she-who-can't-clean-her-tools.  I've got enough hoops to jump through and I don't get a real respect-the-tool vibe from her either.  Perhaps I should start shopping around?   :D

Or perhaps be more on topic.  In that vein, I found that - unfortunately - I had to re-peen the pin holding in all the folding tools in the handle.  I don't know if anyone else has had that problem with a Genus, but the pin kept slipping out, so it had to be done.  Also, there's play - not side to side, but where the two handles are a bit loosey goosey at the close.  Play as in movement even with the lock on.  So, I've got to shore that up.  I don't know that it's the previous owner's fault, but he obviously didn't care for them.  I asked him if he'd left them out in the rain or something and...he said he had.  That doesn't speak to the play, probably more to the fact that he actually used them a bit...uh, before he left them out in the rain.

Hey, wait...perhaps he should go bowling with my significant other.  Hmmmm... :-X

And thanks for the back comment...will be going to the back store soon.  Right after I get in line over at the brains store.   :salute:  I appreciate it.

my wife kind of takes care of her tools... but at least she has the good sense to ask me to clean/oil/sharpen them for her when necessary. :D

sorry to hear about the problems with your Genus. :( at least it sounds like you were able to resolve the issues. I think I got lucky with the used Genus I scored; other than some dirt and grime and the bent saw, it's in great shape. :tu: everything locks up rock solid, no play anywhere, and no signs of rust from the previous owner when I was cleaning it up.

not to make light of your situation, but your "brain store" comment immediately made me think of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7-bMBuVmHo

hope your back is on the mend soon, buddy. ;)

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #42 on: August 04, 2014, 06:07:14 AM
my wife kind of takes care of her tools... but at least she has the good sense to ask me to clean/oil/sharpen them for her when necessary. :D

sorry to hear about the problems with your Genus. :( at least it sounds like you were able to resolve the issues. I think I got lucky with the used Genus I scored; other than some dirt and grime and the bent saw, it's in great shape. :tu: everything locks up rock solid, no play anywhere, and no signs of rust from the previous owner when I was cleaning it up.

not to make light of your situation, but your "brain store" comment immediately made me think of this scene:

Ah; so you have a wife with some sense.  What's that like??   >:D

Well, I feel lucky to even have a Genus...and 'Mike' and I definitely spend some quality time together.  Eh, so I can't complain.

Young Frankenstein - definitely.  A classic.  Did I mention my real name is actually Abby Normal?  Because if you think of it that way, it all...starts...to make...sense...

:cheers:

P.S. Hopefully, I can post some refurb pics here - you know, within a 'reasonable' amount of time. By then, maybe Metro will have his done too, n'est-ce pas??

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #43 on: August 04, 2014, 05:14:15 PM

Ah; so you have a wife with some sense.  What's that like??   >:D

Well, I feel lucky to even have a Genus...and 'Mike' and I definitely spend some quality time together.  Eh, so I can't complain.

Young Frankenstein - definitely.  A classic.  Did I mention my real name is actually Abby Normal?  Because if you think of it that way, it all...starts...to make...sense...

P.S. Hopefully, I can post some refurb pics here - you know, within a 'reasonable' amount of time. By then, maybe Metro will have his done too, n'est-ce pas??

SWEEEET Congrats guys, I have been using mine like CRAZY since I picked up making slingshots out of natural wood. I can't be without mine for any more than a couple of days. I'll likely send mine in the winter when I don't have any natural forks to harvest. This year was crazy, 3 maple trees, an apple tree and a lilac were all downed on my property which means my Reaper had it's day in the woods!

The Felco blades are JUST showing their wear now, but thanks to Breezy, I have the correct diamond file to take care of that :)
Why stop now?

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #44 on: August 05, 2014, 05:00:12 AM
The Felco blades are JUST showing their wear now, but thanks to Breezy, I have the correct diamond file to take care of that :)

Hey there, Metro.  Dare I ask...actually, I shudder to ask [given my spending habits] - what diamond file is that, kind sir?   ::)  I shouldn't ask - because I've got a Corona sharpener [http://coronatoolsusa.com/ac-8300-sharpening-tool.html] I've been using with some success [and that's really saying something...] on the Felco blade.  Yet still, here I sit on my brains...asking...  :D

Vive Le Genus!

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #45 on: August 05, 2014, 06:42:13 AM

Hey there, Metro.  Dare I ask...actually, I shudder to ask [given my spending habits] - what diamond file is that, kind sir?   ::)  I shouldn't ask - because I've got a Corona sharpener [http://coronatoolsusa.com/ac-8300-sharpening-tool.html] I've been using with some success [and that's really saying something...] on the Felco blade.  Yet still, here I sit on my brains...asking...  :D

Vive Le Genus!

he's referring to the diamond file/wrench combo tool that was sold with the Genus when they were still in production. ;)

sadly, they're pretty much impossible to find these days. :( oddly enough, my NIB Genus did not have one, but the user did. :shrug:

00 Offline Kukamunga

Reply #46 on: August 05, 2014, 08:55:51 PM
Thanks.  Well, I have yet to be able to figure out how to sharpen any blade in that manner.  Perhaps I should start looking at some YouTube.  The Corona thing seems to work for the truly limitless limited skillset, which includes me.  Never say never, though.   :tu:

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #47 on: August 10, 2014, 04:19:22 AM

Vive Le Genus!

It's the infamous Leatherman file/wrench combo. It came with the NIB Genus, it was also available for sale separately.

I found two on Amazon and Breezy helped me.
Why stop now?

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #48 on: September 13, 2019, 11:25:28 AM
I finally got one , it is just delivered  :hatsoff:
LM-GENUS-1.jpg
* LM-GENUS-1.jpg (Filesize: 175.79 KB)
LM-GENUS-2.jpg
* LM-GENUS-2.jpg (Filesize: 216.26 KB)
LM-GENUS-3.jpg
* LM-GENUS-3.jpg (Filesize: 233.18 KB)
LM-GENUS-4.jpg
* LM-GENUS-4.jpg (Filesize: 227.51 KB)
The Vikings say "when your battle axe is to short do one step forward"

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #49 on: September 13, 2019, 11:57:02 AM
Great thread bump 8) and so glad that another MTO member has one of these now :salute: :like:

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: September 13, 2019, 12:51:54 PM
Thanks Poncho , it was pure luck that I found it. I googled "GENUS" and opened every link, most of them gave me the message not available or sold out. After many hours I found it in a store in the US who were cleaning out there old stuff and the found a genus without box in there storage room so they put it for sale on there website. I wrote an email and they immediately replied to me (it was $75) so I bought it right away.  :hatsoff:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #51 on: September 13, 2019, 01:46:37 PM
Awesome deal :o :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

be Offline Ivo

• No Life Club
Reply #52 on: September 13, 2019, 02:57:04 PM
 :iagree:  :tu:

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: October 25, 2023, 05:34:34 PM
This was a painful club to join in 2023.  This thing made the ARC seem cheap.   :facepalm:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #54 on: October 25, 2023, 07:59:43 PM
 :o :ahhh Yes, I am sure it wasn't cheap :facepalm: still, they are nice and congrats :woohoo: :like: :like:

Offline MrToolJunkie

Reply #55 on: October 26, 2023, 06:19:38 AM
 :like:...very cool!!!

us Offline Rich_SD

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: October 27, 2023, 05:12:04 PM
Thanks guys!   :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!