Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bike Wheels ?

Offline Blackout

Bike Wheels ?
on: May 23, 2010, 06:18:08 PM
I need help from the bike experts.I have an old mt. bike that Im trying to get fixed up.

Right now I need new front and rear tires and wheels.The size that are on it now is 26X1.95.

Can I go with a smaller wheel and a bigger tire and if so what sizes.Money is a problem,I have about
175.00 to spend.Also I won't be doing anything extreme with the bike, just riding county dirt roads.

thanks
"

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Bike Wheels ?
Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 06:35:43 PM
with 26 you can run 26x1.95/2.1/ 2.3 / 2.50  (from thin to meaty)

most bikes are specific to wheel size...24, 26, and the oh so nice 29

on road 650 and 700....ive seen 650 front and 700 rear on tri bikes (zipp mostly)

check out pricepoint.com
bikenashbar.com  and rei.com for right decent prices

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 06:37:30 PM by Pacu »
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline Screwtape

• I am the Toast King!!
Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 08:50:57 PM
+1 to Pacu  :tu:

Stick with 26 inch wheels but be careful of getting tyres that are too big as your frame will have a maximum tyre size.  If a 26 x 1.95 fits then stick with it it's a good size for trails and the like and you have a good budget to play with

Theoretically it might be possible to change the wheel size if your running disc brakes rather than rim brakes (calliper  V etc) but only to go smaller not larger, but I'd be willing to bet that a different sized wheel would bind in the rear frame and a reduced wheel would leave your bottom bracket very low.
"Hello! I am the Toast King and I rule over the Moon!"

Offline Blackout

Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 09:14:52 PM
I will check those sites out,thanks Pacu. Anyone have experiance with these tires? SWISS
"

Offline Blackout

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 09:25:52 PM
Ok I don't know squat about bike lingo.Looking at some rims and it says,For use with 8-9 speed cassettes.

My back wheel has 6 ring gears and the there are 3 on the pedals,will these wheels work with what
I have?
"

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 10:00:47 PM
Ok I don't know squat about bike lingo.Looking at some rims and it says,For use with 8-9 speed cassettes.

My back wheel has 6 ring gears and the there are 3 on the pedals,will these wheels work with what
I have?

the spacing on the rear stays would be wider on a 8-9 than your 6speed, although ive squeezed wheels in before, i would take it in the shop to make sure as you dont really wont to bend the stays out if you can help it,

paul

Offline Blackout

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 10:21:16 PM
I thumbed through the Yellow pages and found a local bike shop.I generally do all my
own mechanicing because I can do it cheaper.But I don't know enough about bikes and may end
up spending more on wrong parts,so I guess I will take it to the shop.Thanks for everyones help. :salute:
"

us Offline Pacu

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 10:49:36 PM
so six in the back and three on front and you have yourself an 18 speed  6x3=18    8x3=24speed  9x3=27 speed and so on
sometimes you can research the bike and year to get the specs in order to replace/fix parts...shimano, grip shift, suntour, campagnolo, sram and a few others build the components to bikes. They change all the time making it hard to figure out what fits on a given bike.

http://www.mtbr.com/linksbikeframecrx.aspx#T 

btw what bike you got? pics :D
:like:    :MTO:

Offline Blackout

Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 11:42:41 PM
No pics. sorry.The bike is an American made Huffy, name on it is Coast Discovery.
I'am currently sanding it down and repainting it.Probably would be better off buying a new
bike ,but I like the looks of the bike.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:48:20 PM by Blackout »
"

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Valve Stem Issues
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 08:36:16 PM
  Have been on an MTB since 1988 on a Peugeot til the head tube developed a severe crack. Later when started having car problems had bought a '91 Specialized RockHopper just to keep my job. The addiction grew from that necessity. Have been enjoying MTB from pavement to trails since, all on the same bike - even to this day.

Have had flats, some from valve stems, most from thorns. Not once have I ever had what have been experiencing the last week.

Had wanted to install Specialized Crossroad Armadillo on both wheels, as had great luck with the original Crossroads using a tube protector. The local LBS is a Bontrager/Trek dealership, so he suggested the Bontranger LT3 Hard Case, claiming that the developer that helped created the Crossroad Armadillo now works for Trek. - Unknown if that is true, but Joe of Eastern Oregon Cycles has been on the spot with everything else.
  The main issue that I see is the Crossroads hold up to 80 PSI, though I ran them at 65 PSI on a 26x1.95, whereas these LT3 HC have a maximum of 50 PSI on a 26x2.0 tire.

So Joe installed the Bontrager LT-3 Hard Case tires on both wheels, running a heavy duty tube with Flat Attack sealant & a tube protector. Have rode the upper 20 miles of the Weiser River Trail on these, and though a few times my hands went to sleep from the vibration the tires did well. (The only complaint of these tires is on paved shoulders, there is no grip and these tires slide.)

Have rode 50+ miles since (yes, I keep track) and last month had lost nearly 40 pounds. So the system seemed fool proof indeed. Well.... up until July 4th...

Posted on Flat Attack's facebook page about thanking them for keeping us cyclists safe from flats. Ha!  :ahhh  That's like Gilligan saying, "It's all smooth sailing now, Skipper."

Rode across one newly constructed road, BLAM - FLAT! Ruined the POS cheap junky Bell Airstrike 1000 pump, it drank some slime and has been only 40% effective since. Schrader valve had a split. Of course most everyone assumes the rim cut the valve, it's just an autonomous conclusion.
  Took the bike to the LBS. Joe (Eastern Oregon Cycles) installed a Presta tube, with a rubber adapter from inside the rim.

Rode later that night, after installing the CatEye Reflex LED reflectors (AWESOME!) that were/are on sale at Bike Nashbar. Did a lap around the park, seemed okay. Locked up the bike inside the covered porch. Went to ride a week later and FLAT!
  Went to use the Bell pump but the adapter just failed to work with that POS junky pump. Was all dressed down to ride, and disgusted packed up the bike and drove it down to the LBS.

Joe looks it over, valve stem again! So he puts in another Presta tube in, this time with an aluminum inside rim adapter. He originally put a nut on the outside, but I went to the hardware store and got a steel collar, in which I used a Dremel to cut pitch into the middle to match the rim better. So the Presta stem nut screwed right into the steel collar, and kept the valve from moving.
  We thought for sure the problem was soon fixed. Ha!  :ahhh

Rode 1.6 miles around the neighborhood. Got a glimpse of the Moon & Venus right after sunset. Stiff S/E breeze got me up to 17 MPH. Was on my way home, stopped to take some timed self photos before making my final lap to home. The NiMH battery had died in the M5, so was going to make it a short ride.
  Hopped on and that dreaded sound again - FLAT! Pushed it home, popped the tube out, and the valve stem was not moving - yet looked like the valve stem was pulled out of the rubber tube.

What on earth is going on here?!?!  :ahhh

Tube is marked KENDA, 26x1.9/2.125, 120788120820, Made in Taiwan (figures), S0380

Put a spare Schwinn (Schrader) heavy tube in last night. Going to take the MTB for a spin and see if it holds up. Am guessing the tubes have bad rubber if they came from the same manufacturer. Did not check the manufacturer stamps on the other tubes prior to this.

Now the front wheel/tire has not (knocks on wood) had any flats.

Perhaps the tire and/or tube is creeping?? Really, never ever had this problem before, though wasn't over 300 pound then either. Was hoping to lose another 40 pounds this month, but I do not want flats every smurfin time I go for a ride either!  :bnghd:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 05:29:56 AM
  Used two Dremel gringing bits & a Leatherman Crunch to deburr and round the edges of the valve stem hole on both sides.

Washed the slime from the tire, tube & spoke protectors, and the rim. Have a theory the tire or tube was creeping, and residual slime of escaped sealant inside may of been a contributing factor.
  Also found some gummy substance over various parts of the rim. No matter how hard I tried to remove it, it just smeared. Hit it up with Goo Gone and a toothbrush. Got ride of whatever that stuff was.

Joe installed a Schrader tube in from a different manufacturer. Going to give that a ride here tonight. Hope to God it is not the rim needing replacing. So sick of valve stem flats!
¬ Outback in Idaho

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 10:29:56 AM
I prefer schrader for mtb'ing as there easy to get hold of and pump up with most pumps,plus I have had way more issues with Presta over the years and more expensive,

Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 11:37:56 AM
  Rode 2 miles this evening. Had hoped the LED Lenser M5 would have put out more light, yet it only showed about 10 feet in front at best. Northern wind was rather strong. Got near home, about to make the last lap around the park when a police cruiser came by to check me out. These locals must not have seen them blinking CatEye Reflex LED Reflectors before.  :D

Did not have a flat tonight. Guess with Presta you need them special rims in order for them to be effective. The adapters we made should have been adequate.

Maybe rounding the valve stem hole was the key, thoroughly washing out the slimy sealant, or both. Have a floor pump (now) so airing up the tire is not as big of an issue anymore.  :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 11:39:36 AM by Xelkos »
¬ Outback in Idaho

Bontrager LT3 Hardcase Ultimate - Bad bead / tire
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 12:30:32 PM
These Bontrager (Trek) LT3 Hardcase Ultimate tires have a lot of issues. They do not grab uneven surfaces well, slide on curved or sloped paved surfaces, and do not corner easily. They do well against thorns though, or for easy non-technical flat rides - providing they are not under heavy load.

Another bad part about these tires if they only inflate to 50 PSI, which is great for hardpack trails. But their quality has been degrading past a month's use.  Already been fighting valve stem flats, and my assuptions were proved tonight.

On July 12 the LBS installed a different tube, and reinstalled the tire guts. Rode that night for 1.9 miles and things seemed okay. Did not have a flat. But... little did I know the tube was off kilter.

Had hangnail surgery on both big toes, so been out of action for a week. Was flying the coupe tonight, went and got my gear on hoping for a nice medium ride - or so was the plan.
Tire felt like it was still at 50 PSI. Had gotten a floor pump out of desperation & aggravation, which has an analog gauge on it. Pulled the bike out to confirm the tire was at 50 PSI when I noticed this...

So I'm like, what the smurf?!? Deflated the tire. Moved the tire & tube back to their correct position, then slid it forward just a tad.
Next I grabbed a red permanent marker, marked lines across the rim and tire, using the spokes as guides. Drew heavy lines over the tire where the Bontrager logo were, a pair on each side of the wheel.

Started riding and noticed after about 5 minutes that something did not feel right. Swayed back and forth in the dark, no flat - but felt like it was in sand or loose dirt. Could feel sliding going on.
Continued on down the road to the storage sheds. Pulled up under a mercury light half a mile into the ride. Looked down and there it was...

One side

And the other

Bontrager's Unconditional Guarantee is good for a month. The LBS says he can exchange them under a Performance Guarantee once he gets back to the shop on Tuesday.

Read online of various make-shift cures. One was to wrap the rim & bead walls with something called Hockey Tape. Others say to either build the rim up with cloth tape, or to glue one side of the tire to the rim.
Looks to me there is a bead issue, and these are the first tires I have bought that were Bontrager/Trek, and a tire that could only be inflated to 50 PSI. - That right there should of told me all I needed.

So now am wondering what to do. Try to find some ways of fixing the tire slippage, or see if can take them back and order Specialized Crossroad Armadillos and forget Bontrager tires.
LBS says he can get other Bontrager tires. Browsed online and seen one rated at 60 PSI, but I don't think is going to cut it.

The higher the pressure rating the better the bead. So tires with less pressure probably won't have a decent bead on them, and am at the point to where I am plain fed up with this nonsense. I may be overweight, but what if someone is touring - they could easily overload.

Only having the original gum-walled Crossroads from back in 1991, and rode them until they started to fall apart, never had so many issues with them or tubes before. Had commuted, rode 89 miles round trip to Folsom from North Sacramento via the American River Nike Trail in my 20's, road in the mountains of Northern Idaho at 275#, and not had back to back flats before. Did run a thorn liner and heavy tubes, but there were no issues riding.

Those and these smurfin' Bontrager tires are the only experiences I have had. So... I come here to seek ideas and input from others, and advice on how to proceed or remedy the tire slipping issue.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Had a brainstorm last night. Why not install a 22 year old Specialized Crossroads on the rear, and give the wheel another test. Surely if the rim had gone bonkers a dinosaur would slip - right?

Got both Crossroads tires out, picked the one with the better tread. Inflated to 65 PSI, even though it can go to 80. For some reason had ran them at 65 PSI in my younger days, so kept with tradition.  :D

Last night the Bontrager LT3 Hardcase Ultimate slipped after half a mile, in much cooler weather. Took the same route today in near 90° F conditions.

Half Mile In

Now to further add stress, I rode in a few circles on both sides twice, that gives stress to both sides of the rear rim. Did not do that last night, but I wanted to put this to a harder test - considering my weight.
  Rode home and pressed it hard to accelerate to 18 MPH in a medium crosswind. Stopped abruptly into a gutter, and out on the pedals. Rode through some gravel, oh how I missed these sexy tires!

Specialized Crossroads felt firm, in control, confident on & off the road. The Bontrager LT3 Hardcase Ultimate felt squirrelly as all get out. Probably less rolling resistance, but it did not feel natural.

A measly 1.09 miles round trip. How did 22 year old tires hold out?

Other side

Guess that answers my questions. Too bad had to go through all this trouble and expense, feel bad for the LBS too. Probably cannot get these same Crossroads treads anymore. Am hoping the LBS will work with me so I can get the new Specialized Crossroads Armadillo.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #15 on: July 24, 2013, 07:25:49 PM
  Oh, and on Twitter (I hate that thing!) Bontrager replies to comparison photos:

"A few things could cause slippage. Air pressure needs to be high enough & rim is clean. Take to Trek dealer if prob persists."

Duh! Also a bad tire, bad bead, inferior quality, metric tolerance are off...  :twak:
SC1vsBHCU.jpg
* SC1vsBHCU.jpg (Filesize: 145.9 KB)
SC1vrsBHCU.jpg
* SC1vrsBHCU.jpg (Filesize: 151.69 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #16 on: July 28, 2013, 09:14:15 AM
  Was fed up with Bontrager at this point. LBS said he could get me any other tire I wanted, was lots to choose from out there. But... I did not want to experiment, why not just go with what woks. So asked him for Specialized Crossroads - oh, he can't order Specialized.

Gave it some thought. Next day I called up Cafferty's Cyclery inquiring about stock on Crossroads. None in stock, but the staff claimed most in the area preferred Hemisphere or Nimbus. Would take a week to get Crossroads in.
  Went back online to view the specs on the Hemisphere Armadillo tires...

The Hemisphere is a modern, versatile, and durable trekking tire with tough puncture protection. This bold tread delivers control even on loose surfaces. Its serial center blocks roll easy on paved surfaces, but provides traction off-road. Wide-spaced shoulder blocks bite into soft ground. The Hemisphere excels on streets and bike path ways.

The tread looks familiar, yet different. There is tread all over this tire, even on the shoulders. Not ridden on a tread like this before, but I wanted to ride now. had far too much down time.
  Cruised on over there, took a look-see, and said to myself, "what use is a bike that I cannot ride?" So I bought them, had 'em mounted.

Was watching and the mechanic had to use a tire tool to slide the last 5th of the tire over the rim! So that tells me right off that this tire has a tight bead, unlike the Bontrager LT3 Hardcase Ultimate. Hemisphere fit over the rims tight.

Got home, went for a short half miler, and was SUPER IMPRESSED! The tires handled naturally, all over the tire. Did some loops, riding sideways (on angle), swerving rapidly - fluid control. Hugged the various surfaces I tried with confidence.

No squirrelly feeling when taking a hard turn either!  :D

Next evening went out for a ride. Down the highway, off on the back roads, through hardpack with loose dirt, gravel - no issues. Almost went over the bridge but remembered there was construction going on. The LED Lenser M5 is not a very good bicycle light, so opted to just loop back and alter the route home.

Tire check, no slippage.

Today was preparing to ride to Ontario, and decided to check the tire pressure with the floor pump, since my pocket air gauge maxes out at 50 PSI. Buggers! The bike shop put the tires at 45 PSI. Pumped the back up to 65, and 60 in the front. Thought afterwards that perhaps I should of drop the front down to 55.
  Got geared up, 95°ish F outside. Headed into Ontario, the bridge was fine. Got to 21.29 MPH free riding down that slight grade. Tires were more responsive a higher speeds.

Ontario has bike trails in some spots, but mostly have to reply on sidewalks unless you want to brave confined traffic. Deliberately went through any loose terrain I came across. Even the angled cement on the underpass tunnel exits, which I would guess were at 40° or tighter. Was riding on the upper-right shoulder of the tire, held a straight line - no sliding.

Think I found the tire for me. No more Mad Max tires for me (Crossroads), will stick more to paved, hardpack, and trails.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Reply #17 on: July 28, 2013, 09:16:05 AM
PS: Saw a newer Specialized Rockhopper, a 29er! Things sure have changed over the past 22 years. This thing is a beast. $850 too - ouch.  :ahhh

¬ Outback in Idaho

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 01:23:01 PM
Very informative post!

I had an incident in June, where after two years of not a single flatm i got three within three weeks  :facepalm: Every time it was a puncture, and I never found out what had caused em  ???

My beast (Specialized Hardrock Disc) rolls on Schwalbe Fat Franks  :D Very comfortable for an urban rider like myself.

Keep rollin'  :cheers:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

spam Offline glorn

• No Life Club
  • His name is Robert Paulson.
Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 06:10:55 AM
http://sheldonbrown.com/flats.html

Sheldon Brown's articles on bicycles are pretty much the cyclists bible. The link above covers flats in depth. When he was still with us, he would answer EVERY email sent to him (and he was rumored to get tons) . An amazing man. Rare and missed.

I have also had a broken spoke at the nipple (where spoke meets rim) poke through to the inside of the rim and puncture the tube through the rim tape. Never had it happen before after years of daily riding,  and then it happened four times in a week. Took me a while to sort out that the spoke was the culprit. Lesson being: mystery repeat flats may have to do with the wheel.

RIP Sheldon. And thanks again.

For those seeking great parts for riders (as opposed to racers) check out Rivendell bicycles. Grant's articles there are also very much worth reading. And.. of course...they make exceptional bicycles.

http://www.rivbike.com/

Oh, I should mention that Grant sells Gransfors Bruk, Opinel, and Ti sporks as well.. So you know he has good taste. The new shop is called "Bike Book and Hatchet" or something like that. Awesome.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 06:34:37 AM by glorn »
G

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #20 on: October 11, 2013, 08:31:02 AM
He was an exceptional man alright :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Donations