Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Simpsons Leatherbuddy clip

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Simpsons Leatherbuddy clip
on: August 12, 2007, 02:16:45 AM
I just saw the episode that the Leatherbuddy clip is from!  IN case anyone has missed it, here's the clip I was talking about:

It's the beginning of the episode where Homer tries to win Lisa's affection (again) by becoming the Safety Salamander.  It all starts when Homer is excited about Father's Day, and Bart gets him a Leatherbuddy, while Lisa makes a nice book for him about two unicorns that look a lot like Homer and Lisa.

When he opens Bart's gift he is instantly excited, then fantasizes about being aboard a pirate ship where the damsel Marge is tied to the mast, while bloodthirsty pirates are ominously making their way towards her.  Homer the swashbuckler that he is, extends an allen key and loosens the screws on the mast, causing it to fall and crush the pirates.  He then returns to the modern world and talks about how it is the best gift he's ever gotten, ever will get and how no other gift could ever come close to equaling it.  Then he asks Lisa what she got him.

That's of course the last we see of the Leatherbuddy for that episode.  I'd hoped it would reappear momentarily at the end and somehow help him save the day, but no such luck.

It's kind of haunted me since I got the clip- I've been desperate to find out what episode it was for a while now and I finally have seen it.  I can die happy now...  :grin:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Re: Simpsons Leatherbuddy clip
Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 09:46:17 AM

When he opens Bart's gift he is instantly excited, then fantasizes about being aboard a pirate ship where the damsel Marge is tied to the mast, while bloodthirsty pirates are ominously making their way towards her.  Homer the swashbuckler that he is, extends an allen key and loosens the screws on the mast, causing it to fall and crush the pirates. 

Def

its not just me then  ;D  Theres a bit of homer in everyone

Dunc

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 04:43:16 PM
D'oh!

There's also a classic Simpson's episode with Ernest Borgnine in which Bart joins a scout troop and pretty much worships a Swiss Army Knife.  Homer ends up stealing Borgnine's knife on a camping trip before Homer and Bart are separated from the rest.  The last we see of Borgnine and the rest of the troop they are being attacked by a bear.  Borgnine says "Stay calm kids- we're safe as long as I have my trusty Swiss Army Knife!  uh oh..."  Then all you see is the bear closing in on them!

There is also another cartoon where they mention the SAK- Futurama.  In one episode robots rebel and take over the world so that Mom, the world's most huggable industrialist and owner of Mom's Old Fashioned Friendly Robot Company could rule.  Needless to say, every gadget in the future is robotic, so the crew (and the rest of the world) is forced to live like cavemen.  Fry points out that you don't need anything to survive but a trusty Swiss Army Knife, which he uses to try and open a can.  Of course he fails miserably (because of Fry's incompetence, not because of the SAK!) and Dr Zoidberg, the giant humanoid lobster ends up cutting open the can with his claw.  I think I may have that clip somewhere- I'll post it on Youtube when and if I find it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 05:49:26 PM
Here's the Futurama clip I promised:

http://www.youtube.com/v/hXJspm81eYA

Def

Offline zackhugh

Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 12:12:52 AM

There's also a classic Simpson's episode with Ernest Borgnine in which Bart joins a scout troop and pretty much worships a Swiss Army Knife.  Homer ends up stealing Borgnine's knife on a camping trip before Homer and Bart are separated from the rest.  The last we see of Borgnine and the rest of the troop they are being attacked by a bear.  Borgnine says "Stay calm kids- we're safe as long as I have my trusty Swiss Army Knife!  uh oh..."  Then all you see is the bear closing in on them!

Def

I was going to say that this one needs to be YouTubed as well.  It predates the Leatherbuddy episode by several years, always a great SAK moment (except at the end where Homer accidentally sinks their rubber raft with the open SAK).

There is also a Cheers episode where Cliff uses his SAK to unbolt the floorboards at the Boston Garden.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 02:25:01 AM
I would post it if I had it, but I don't.  If anyone else has it and want to post it or send it to me, I'll post it.

I am watching Meatballs with Bill Murray right now and he used what looked to be an old Victorinox Champion in the beginning.  Of course he didn't use it for much except threatening to toothpick and corkscrew his enemies.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 03:52:41 PM
I just added a terrible clip from Meatballs:

http://www.youtube.com/v/q7dvx3U3J2s

Def

Offline zackhugh

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 08:57:41 PM
Also a fine clip.  I remember that one fondly.  Yeah, too bad he doesn't use it to do anything.  In fact, why don't they ever show someone in movies or on TV using a SAK or multitool to open a box or tighten a screw (and have the femme fatale look on admiringly at his tool ;) ).  There are millions of these around so people must be using them.  ???  You know, just everyday stuff where the SAK and multitool really shine. 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 09:33:46 PM
Given Bill Murray's improvisational talent, I wonder if that was an actual prop for the movie, or "borrowed" from a gaffer or other staff member.

Of course I often wonder about that kind of thing when you see them in movies or on TV!

Def

Offline zackhugh

Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 09:41:33 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if it were really his and that he's never separated from it even when he's shooting a film?  Maybe he's lurking or has a secret identity here or at SOSAK.  ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 10:17:28 PM
I don't know about here, but I know of TWO reasonably famous celebrities that are SOSAKOnline members.

I can't say who exactly since they want to remain anonymous, and it is a Secret Order after all, but I will say that one of them is not someone you would expect!

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%