Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Teach me about kayaks!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Teach me about kayaks!
on: August 13, 2007, 05:02:01 PM
Ok blame def (again) but I'm now interested in kayaks ::) I've got a bit of experience with canoes but none on kayaks!

Personally I'd be after a inflatable one (not this year though as I'm skint :cry:) as not having a car it would be a bit of a bugger fitting 20foot of kayak on the train ;D

It'd also have to carry two and come camping gear

So what advantages have kayaks got over canoes?

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Teach me about kayaks!
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 05:29:10 PM
Kayaks come in two varieties- sit on top and enclosed models.  I prefer the enclosed models as you sit lower and you don't have to bail as much since much of the water that washes over the bow washes off the side. 

If you are going with an inflatable one I think you are limited to sit on top.  Sit on tops are easier to get in and out of, but ride a little higher.  They are also usually some kind of plastic while the enclosed ones (better ones anyway) are fiberglass. 

Most kayaks (except for the cheap ones showing up in department stores these days) will have a fair bit of storage space.  Again, the enclosed models have more interior space, but the sit on tops can have the stuff piled on them.  They have enclosed, waterproof storage similar to the enclosed kayaks, but are generally much smaller.  Also, you can store stuff on the outside of an enclosed kayak with all the tie down straps, but not as much as you could pile on the sit on tops.

River or whitewater kayaks are shorter- usually under ten feet and are highly maneuverable but don't track well.  Longer, touring canoes track better (stay straight when paddling) and are more comfortable but don't turn as sharply, which is why they tend to have rudders on them.  With a rudder they become quite manageable, but again, no where near as agile as the river runners.

You can get a cheap one man inflatable kayak for about $250, but I'd expect to pay between $500 and $700 for a decent one.

Always get a decent PFD- don't cheap out on that!  There are dedicated paddling ones that can cost a fortune, but you should be able to get a comfortable one for $50-70 if you look around.  Mine is a neoprene paddling model that I think was around $55, and it's very flexible and comfortable.  If you don't get a good one, you'll feel like someone duct taped foam blocks to you, and you probably won't want to wear it.

Advantages over canoes-

Easier to portage with one person.  I can carry a 17 foot kayak myself.  I wouldn't try that with a 17 foot canoe.

Waterproof Storage.  Many canoes come with built in waterproof boxes, but most don't.  You can bring your own waterproof box, but it'll float away if you upset.

Faster.  A cheap department store kayak will be about 24" wide, and draft 2-3 inches.  Very low drag means you go much faster with less paddling.  A good canoe will be about 28-30" wide and draft 3-4 inches, causing much greater drag.  My kayak drafts at about an inch and a half to 2 inches and is 22" wide.

Easier to paddle.  Need to paddle on the left?  There's a paddles there.  Need to paddle on the right?  There's a paddle there!  Double ended paddles vs single, dedicated oar in a canoe means you can reach both sides without splashing.

There's more, but that should get you started!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 06:35:13 PM

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 07:33:27 PM
 I like it...I could use one like that to get some experience on the lakes around here.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 07:34:15 PM
Looks pretty good to me!

Make sure you bring a patch kit though- rocks can be pretty unforgiving.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 11:17:59 PM
Looks pretty good to me!

Make sure you bring a patch kit though- rocks can be pretty unforgiving.

Def
I'm a little worried about puncture's too, but short of buying a car just to cart a rigid kayak about i think inflatable is the only way for me to go ???

mind you i could always put my motorcycle liecence to good use on one of these...

http://www.uralmotorbikes.info/Specials.htm

scroll down a bit to the sidecar/boat ;D ;D

I want one, goes against my greener nature, but its just sooo cool ;D ;D

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 05:08:48 AM
There was a sidecar boat? I couldn't quite get past the sleeper caravan sidecar!!!!
I

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 10:23:30 AM
There was a sidecar boat? I couldn't quite get past the sleeper caravan sidecar!!!!
The little In me really, really wants one ::) :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 12:41:19 PM
There's a line of kayaks that might be worth looking into as well for you- they have inflatable sides but a hard plastic, molded keel that folds in half when the sides are deflated.  It takes up more room than the completely inflatable ones, but the hard bottom is much more resistant to rocks and other nasty stuff.

Def

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 02:29:46 PM
There's a line of kayaks that might be worth looking into as well for you- they have inflatable sides but a hard plastic, molded keel that folds in half when the sides are deflated.  It takes up more room than the completely inflatable ones, but the hard bottom is much more resistant to rocks and other nasty stuff.

Def
got a link mate?

what are they called, semi ridged kayaks ???

Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 02:44:33 PM

Def
got a link mate?

what are they called, semi ridged kayaks ???
in fact of got a link for you!...

http://www.yostwerks.com/

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 11:54:02 PM
I will have to call the local kayak shop where I saw them to see what the name on them was, but you'd be better finding something online.  The one I was looking at was a single seat model for a mere $995!

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 07:40:38 AM
Ok, you guys need to stop.  You're starting to get ME interested in kayaking...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 09:04:18 AM
I will have to call the local kayak shop where I saw them to see what the name on them was, but you'd be better finding something online.  The one I was looking at was a single seat model for a mere $995!

Def
Is it just me or has everything just rocketted in price in the last 6 - 8 years ???

seriously everything's gone from being moderatley priced to silly money almost overnight, It's a tad annoying ::)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 02:38:19 AM
Many more folks have silly money to waste these days.  Or, more accurately, banks and financial institutions are having a good old time extending high interest loans to folks so they can get a few more high end toys to play with.

MSRP on my boat is $3,000, which I would never have paid for a kayak unless it was solid plutonium and the seat was woven with the cast off underwear from supermodels.

Def

Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 10:23:17 AM
MSRP on my boat is $3,000, which I would never have paid for a kayak unless it was solid plutonium and the seat was woven with the cast off underwear from supermodels.

Def
You've got such a wonderful way with words mate :D

do ya reckon they do bike saddles from the same sorta stuff? ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 12:44:18 PM
Maybe, but I doubt guys like you and I could afford them!   >:D

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 04:57:26 PM
Sorta makes working in that repair shop a dream job doesn't it?
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 04:59:08 PM
Yup...  I bet working in a repair shop on $10,000 bikes would pay pretty good!

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 05:13:22 PM
I'd love the chance to find out...hope does spring eternal
I

Reply #20 on: August 16, 2007, 08:55:58 PM
Maybe, but I doubt guys like you and I could afford them!   >:D

Def
That is sadly so true :cry: :cry: ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 05:26:29 PM
The nice thing is that it's pretty late in the season so you may find yourself some decent sales coming up soon. 

Another good idea is to start with a cheap inflatable.

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=192&Itemid=35

The one in the second picture there was about $100 and came with paddles.  That would give you a chance to get out and enjoy yourself a little and give you the opportunity to get all the other stuff you need to go.  Most places require safety lines, bailing equipment, pfd's etc that can all add a serious amount to the cost of the boat itself.  One quote I got for a $600 kayak worked out to $1,000 by the time they added in the paddles, the pfd, the safety kit, the whistle etc etc etc.  At least with something like that you'd get a reasonably inexpensive look at whether or not it's something you'd enjoy or do often enough to invest some money into it.

Plus, that three man boat I have pictured will carry over 600 pounds safely and has three separate chambers to keep you afloat in case bad stuff happens.  Mind you it doesn't paddle as swiftly or smoothly as a kayak, but it is also a hundred times more stable!

I plan to carry it in the kayak on long trips just in case I should puncture the fiberglass and can't patch it.  I can inflate the "backup boat" and try to tow my kayak home.  Or, you can inflate the inflatable partway inside whichever compartment is ruptured and use it to maintain the buoyancy of the 'yak.

Def

Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 10:18:17 PM
The nice thing is that it's pretty late in the season so you may find yourself some decent sales coming up soon. 

Another good idea is to start with a cheap inflatable.

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=192&Itemid=35

The one in the second picture there was about $100 and came with paddles.  That would give you a chance to get out and enjoy yourself a little and give you the opportunity to get all the other stuff you need to go.  Most places require safety lines, bailing equipment, pfd's etc that can all add a serious amount to the cost of the boat itself.  One quote I got for a $600 kayak worked out to $1,000 by the time they added in the paddles, the pfd, the safety kit, the whistle etc etc etc.  At least with something like that you'd get a reasonably inexpensive look at whether or not it's something you'd enjoy or do often enough to invest some money into it.

Plus, that three man boat I have pictured will carry over 600 pounds safely and has three separate chambers to keep you afloat in case bad stuff happens.  Mind you it doesn't paddle as swiftly or smoothly as a kayak, but it is also a hundred times more stable!

I plan to carry it in the kayak on long trips just in case I should puncture the fiberglass and can't patch it.  I can inflate the "backup boat" and try to tow my kayak home.  Or, you can inflate the inflatable partway inside whichever compartment is ruptured and use it to maintain the buoyancy of the 'yak.

Def
Thats not a bad idea mate, I thought I'd take a leaf out of ray mears's book and make my own paddles :)

But I do think an inflatable is the way to go for me :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: August 18, 2007, 12:33:23 AM
Start carving now- oars take a long time to do properly!   ;D

Def

Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 05:15:37 PM
Start carving now- oars take a long time to do properly!   ;D

Def
True, but i've got to figure out what wood to use first ::) :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: August 19, 2007, 03:19:10 AM
Whatever is cheap and plentiful in your area.  I guarantee you won't be happy with the first dozen or so!

Def

Reply #26 on: August 19, 2007, 12:37:00 PM
Whatever is cheap and plentiful in your area.  I guarantee you won't be happy with the first dozen or so!

Def
I take it you've made a few in your time then :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: August 19, 2007, 01:28:34 PM
I'm Canadian... when it comes to oars, that's all we do!  Well, that and hockey and beer, but those are more evening activities!   :pok:

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 19, 2007, 02:53:24 PM
I'm Canadian... when it comes to oars, that's all we do!  Well, that and hockey and beer, but those are more evening activities!   :pok:

Def
         Since an oar loks like a misshapen hockey stick,I guess that's a natural extension of the woodworker's craft.At the museum in Boonesboro State Park,KY,there's a wall display of paddles made from the various native trees,several have some beautiful graining.
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD