Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What you recommend.

Vadim · 21 · 2839

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
What you recommend.
on: May 28, 2010, 03:02:27 AM
Alright guys,I'm going to order one more multitool,a Leatherman  :D  ST300 or Charge TTi/Ti.The question is which one you recommend to buy,I like all three,but need just ONE :).Thank you for replays! :salute:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: What you recommend.
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:03:31 AM
Are you going to stand on it?
I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 03:15:15 AM
Are you going to stand on it?

What can I do? :D I like Leatherman too,its OK with QC,I always like how usefull is Leatherman! :ahhh :tu: :)

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:30:45 AM
Since you have had problems with the Charge, go with the ST300.  Out of the two, I like it better.  It is only about one ounce heavier, half an inch longer, but it has stronger pliers, longer (dedicated) drivers, replaceable wire cutters, and an awl.  Like I said before, I really like my ST300.  It feels like you could stand on it to cut something, but I wouldn't. 

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 04:50:11 AM
Since you have had problems with the Charge, go with the ST300.  Out of the two, I like it better.  It is only about one ounce heavier, half an inch longer, but it has stronger pliers, longer (dedicated) drivers, replaceable wire cutters, and an awl.  Like I said before, I really like my ST300.  It feels like you could stand on it to cut something, but I wouldn't. 

Yeah,thanks.I personally like heavy weight tools,like ST300 pliers,knife,drivers,replaceable wire cutters...... and  :think:  :D I think I'm gonna order it  :ahhh
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:51:50 AM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 04:55:27 AM
How different is (in length) plain knives on both ST300 and Surge.Any pictures?Please!

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 05:38:07 AM
So,find this one: http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-831180-Super-Stainless-Multi-Tool/dp/B002STLQS6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1275017503&sr=8-5.So how is Amazon?Good to buy from them?Always buy from eBay but price is around $56-$59.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 05:42:13 AM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 05:39:17 AM
Having owned both, I am ashamed to say I honestly don't know.  The knife on the ST300 is no slouch though, it should be plenty long enough for ya!

That price on Amazon is awesome, go for it!

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 05:54:23 AM
That price for the ST300 is as good as it gets for a new one,and the first person I saw that stood on a LM was Tim Leatherman himself with a Charge Ti.
 :cheers:& :salute:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 07:38:34 PM
Well,I don't know about ST300,just read a Chako review,.......... :think:.......but ST300 looks very cool :),I like it.

"Well I now have 3 of them. Two Stainless and one BO.
    My impressions are as follows...
1. For some reason, the boxed two do not seem to be as stiff as the blister pack one. The one is so stiff, it isn't a pleasure to use.
2. Not as comfortable to use as the older Core. My reasoning is due to the locking levers and the shape of the handles. The two levers are badly placed for me as it is located exactly where I use a finger to open the plier handles for use. The core, the levers do not stick out as much, nore do they seem to have so many sharp corners. I dislike the 300s spring loaded locking lever in both shape and how much they stick out from the handle.
3. The Super Tool 300 should be a tougher tool as they eliminated that Zytel linner that is found in the core. However, that liner does make deploying the pliers and the tools somewhat smoother then the all metal 300.
4. The plier head does have the removable cutters on the 300, but, unlike Gerber, do not supply the Allen key. Bo, hiss. On top of that, nobody can accuse the new head to be elegant. In fact, the few models I do have seem to have casting artifacts still visible, where they didn't quite grind enough off. Nothing major, but still there unlike the older heads that appeared to be flawless.
5. I am not a big fan of the new clumping system in so much as the main sharp blades have a round indentation that mates with a round protrusion in the handle. On one of the 300s, the main blade is rather difficult to take out and put back in. Mind you, this will get easier with use, but the experience is rather disconcerting from a quality standpoint.
6. They made the 300 easier to use with gloves on. Very commendable. However, I found that the large rectangular cutouts in the handle to accommodate gloves becomes a very uncomfortable tool to hold when you have one of the sharp blades out for use. This causes a major unevenness between the two handles resulting in the wider handle to dig uncomfortably into the finger. This only happens if you have to use a folding tool and keep the pliers open for quick use.

My opinion, based upon the above is that the 300 is a nice tool that could have been made better. There appears to be some quality issues at the moment. To the market segment that this tool is geared towards (construction/Industrial/etc…), the negatives I stated may not be that much of a factor seeing that the 300 has a tougher more durable build compared to the Core with its plastic liner. The locking mechanism on the 300 has also been beefed up compared to the Core. Overall, the 300 is a very capable and tough tool with some quality control issues, and questionable ergonomic decisions. Is it the right tool for you…only you can answer that."

"1. Plier head has artifacts on them. In one case, they didn't grind enough away, so you get this slight plateau on one side that is visible. Nothing major, but it is there. On another tool, some grinding marks are present.
2. One tool was so difficult to open and close, it wasn't a pleasant experience. In fact, it made the tool feel cheaper then it ought to from a first impression viewpoint.
3. On two of the tools, there feels like some grinding on the pivots when some of the folding tools are deployed. Not silky smooth. It is as if there is dust down there.
4. On one of the 300s, the two main blades with the round anti-clumping mechanism were very difficult to deploy and close.
5. One of the 300s had very stiff folding tools, meaning they were nail breakers.

I know much of this will loosen up with time, but with 3 models, I have noted some interesting inconsistencies between them. This leads me to believe that these tools are a sort of hit and miss affair. With that said, it is a nice tool, and I know the market it is geared towards probably won't have an issue with some of the above items. Don't get me wrong, I like the 300. However, when you compare several of them, you notice the little things that add up."
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 07:44:29 PM by CumminsDiesel »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 07:47:05 PM
Ive no experience of a charge but a lot of wave use and have a st300, for me if i had to choose one i would go with the st300 as its a very tough tool, not that the wave isnt, but i like the feel of the st plus i generally bag carry my main MT so i dont mind the larger size  :tu: and yes everyone i put the st300 over a wave  :think:  :D

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 07:53:51 PM
Ive no experience of a charge but a lot of wave use and have a st300, for me if i had to choose one i would go with the st300 as its a very tough tool, not that the wave isnt, but i like the feel of the st plus i generally bag carry my main MT so i dont mind the larger size  :tu: and yes everyone i put the st300 over a wave  :think:  :D

Thank you Zed!How do you like inside implements on ST300 vs outside on Wave?

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 07:59:58 PM

of course there easier to get out on the wave but im not bothered about that these days , the st300's come out nicely, and i dont mind clumping , i find it easier with gloves on , also you have those great pliers on the st300, ive used mine a lot and everything from its saw to its long and perfect drivers are all good, yes there is no scissors but i carry a micra or a classic so thats ok, this is a fantastic tool with a real tactical and tough feel to it,  :tu:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 08:09:28 PM

of course there easier to get out on the wave but im not bothered about that these days , the st300's come out nicely, and i dont mind clumping , i find it easier with gloves on , also you have those great pliers on the st300, ive used mine a lot and everything from its saw to its long and perfect drivers are all good, yes there is no scissors but i carry a micra or a classic so thats ok, this is a fantastic tool with a real tactical and tough feel to it,  :tu:

Thanks again,Zed.Thats what I was think: ST300 +Micra or new Squirt PS4.(or all three :D)

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 08:11:14 PM
Thanks again,Zed.Thats what I was think: ST300 +Micra or new Squirt PS4.(or all three :D)
Sounds like a plan..  ;) :tu:

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 01:45:07 AM
ST300 + Micra should address most needs  :tu:
SAW

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 03:16:19 AM
For me, it would be what tool you used the most.

Knife?  Charge Ti
Pliers?  Supertool

Though a ST300 + Micra (or even one of the new Style CS) would be a pretty good combo.

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 07:34:10 AM
That price for the ST300 is as good as it gets for a new one,and the first person I saw that stood on a LM was Tim Leatherman himself with a Charge Ti.
 :cheers:& :salute:

TOO good if u ask me  :think:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 09:34:11 AM
Sounds like a plan..  ;) :tu:

::)  yes a very good plan  ;)

Offline stevethegreat

Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 10:08:57 AM
Hm, IMO you should evaluate in which way you are going to use your Leatherman. Are you more an outside-with-gloves worker? Are pliers really the tool you use and rely on most? Than probably the SuperTool 300 is the better choice. When it gets dirty, it is also very easy to clean.

Remember, you won't get the knives and saws out as quick as you can do with a Charge. Personally, I use the knife the most, than the pliers, so for me it comes in very handy to have my blades ready to go without making a big deal (say opening the MT). You pay a little more for the Charge, but therefore you get better blade steel, a diamond file, scissors, bit driver etc. However, it is build with a little more complexity and that might cause it to be a little more a pain in the butt to clean it.

It just depends on how you are going to use your MT. For me that's the most important question before I buy my multitool. I hope I could help  :salute:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: May 30, 2010, 06:55:54 AM
Hm, IMO you should evaluate in which way you are going to use your Leatherman. Are you more an outside-with-gloves worker? Are pliers really the tool you use and rely on most? Than probably the SuperTool 300 is the better choice. When it gets dirty, it is also very easy to clean.

Remember, you won't get the knives and saws out as quick as you can do with a Charge. Personally, I use the knife the most, than the pliers, so for me it comes in very handy to have my blades ready to go without making a big deal (say opening the MT). You pay a little more for the Charge, but therefore you get better blade steel, a diamond file, scissors, bit driver etc. However, it is build with a little more complexity and that might cause it to be a little more a pain in the butt to clean it.

It just depends on how you are going to use your MT. For me that's the most important question before I buy my multitool. I hope I could help  :salute:

I like ST300 pliers,also an outside open blade,file etc.......... :think: ::).......LM MUT? :D
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 08:21:09 AM by CumminsDiesel »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD