Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Camping Essentials?

jock1 · 43 · 7301

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Camping Essentials?
on: August 14, 2007, 12:04:14 AM
I have a tent ,sleeping bags ,stove etc but would like to ask advice as to what else I would need .I reckon that my hatchet and Swiss Champ would only require a gerber folding shovel to be added then I am good to go
This time I am reasonably sober when posting  ;)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Camping Essentials?
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:26:16 AM
I'd include a good fixed blade for thise jobs that a SAK won't do.  Some jobs are also messy and those are also best left to a fixed blade since they are easier to clean.

Imagine you slip with the hatchet and injure one of your hands- folding out a SAK blade to cut bandages could be awkward!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 12:35:34 AM
Whoa, I'm getting stuff ready for a camping trip also :o  I agree with Def, a fixed blade knife will come in handy.  It doesn't have to be an enormous chopper (you've got an axe), so probably something small like a Mora will work.  www.ragweedforge.com has a ton of them to choose from.

Some fire starting equiptment would be nice to have, and a first aid kit.

And a multitool. :multi:
[

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 12:44:52 AM
A SwissChamp is a multitool!

Also, if you're buying a shovel from Gerber, it might be easier just to get a Gerber fixed blade... Perhaps a Gator?
http://www.gerbertools.com/search.aspx?d=1&m=100000
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 12:49:31 AM by Viper »
[

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 04:28:34 AM
It would be good to know what kind of camping are you doing.  Are you camping out of a car, like at a state park?  Or are you hiking in to the back woods and  setting up camp for a few days in the middle of nowhere?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:36:19 AM
It would be good to know what kind of camping are you doing.  Are you camping out of a car, like at a state park?  Or are you hiking in to the back woods and  setting up camp for a few days in the middle of nowhere?

That's a pretty good point, If your backpacking then i,d say Leave the shovel and the hatchet and get a kukri instead :)

It,ll gather/split wood every bit as well as your hatchet, It'll clear bracken and nettles like you would'nt belive and if you get a traditional kukri you can use the karda for any fine cutting tasks :)

for the obligatry small round holes ;) make a digging stick, and think about all that weight your poor ole back won,t have to carry by just carrying a kukri :)

If you gona stick with your exsiting rig (nowt wrong with that at all) get a Falkniven F1 which is my (and a lot of other peoples) Favorite wee ickle knife :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 08:52:17 PM

For the first trip it will be at a regular camp site as I will be taking my 8yr old son and he's not used to really roughing it so I can afford a bit more weight if I ever get into the woods properly I will look at Micky D suggestion of a traditional Kukri but given I look like a serial killer I don't want to scare the heck out of any passing hikers 

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 09:38:52 PM
The most important piece of gear is.

Toilet paper. ;D
S

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 10:13:04 PM
The most important piece of gear is.

Is that for the folks who see me with the kukri?

Toilet paper. ;D

Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 10:18:40 PM
welcome to the serial killer look alike club ::) ;D

I hate the fact that kukri's goloks and billhooks are so frowned upon over here in blighty' coz there just so bloody useful :cry:

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 11:17:20 PM
I don't mind looking like a serial killer..it's the other hikers I worry about. I live in a rugged area,and the backwoods are full of pot patches,and meth labs.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 15, 2007, 04:46:19 AM
Yeah a kukri is a great camp knife, but try to explain why you have a giant knife like that to a game warden!  Personally I'd opt for a 4-6 inch fixed blade and a small hand axe.  To me, it's worth the extra weight.  Of course I say that, but in a couple weeks or so I am hoping to go on a small camping trip and I'm bringing a kukri instead of an axe!

But then, where I'm going is bear country so I'll be on the lookout for scat with bells in it that smells like pepper spray!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: August 15, 2007, 07:27:26 AM

I went to Lowe's one time to buy an Axe... I picked out the axe, then carried it around the store while I looked at other things.  The whole time, there were two employee's that followed me around while I shopped.  After about 20 minutes, one of them came up to me and actually ASKED me what I was going to do with the axe.  I calmly responded... "My wife just filed for divorce and said she's going for full custody of my daughter..."  Then I walked away :)

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Reply #13 on: August 15, 2007, 08:59:39 AM

I went to Lowe's one time to buy an Axe... I picked out the axe, then carried it around the store while I looked at other things.  The whole time, there were two employee's that followed me around while I shopped.  After about 20 minutes, one of them came up to me and actually ASKED me what I was going to do with the axe.  I calmly responded... "My wife just filed for divorce and said she's going for full custody of my daughter..."  Then I walked away :)

After that story I'm gona vote you in as chairman of the Serial killer look a like club ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 02:40:03 AM
I recently saw the neatest thing for camping.  I could never afford to get one, and if I did I probably couldn't get it in my kayak anyway, but it's a portable water heater!  Imagine taking nice, hot showers in the woods!  I think that would be totally sweet!

I'm all for enjoying the woods, but I HATE cold water...

Def

Reply #15 on: August 16, 2007, 10:14:21 AM
I recently saw the neatest thing for camping.  I could never afford to get one, and if I did I probably couldn't get it in my kayak anyway, but it's a portable water heater!  Imagine taking nice, hot showers in the woods!  I think that would be totally sweet!

I'm all for enjoying the woods, but I HATE cold water...

Def
Isnt that just a little woussie :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 12:43:42 PM
So glad you approve! :P

Seriously though, I don't mind bathing in the lake (did it the other day when I flipped my kayak!) but don't you think a hot shower would be nice?  Very hot showers and baths are some of my favorite luxuries in life, and it would be nice to take that with me wherever I go.

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 04:56:02 PM
You all ought to be here in this part of the world today,the high temp is due to be 100 deg.F.The water's going to be plenty warm.
I

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 16, 2007, 04:58:14 PM
It's not too bad here right now either.  Not quite that hot, but lately the lake has been pretty warm, which I greatly appreciate!  You don't realize how close to the water your hiney is in a kayak until you go out in cold water!

Def

Reply #19 on: August 16, 2007, 08:58:23 PM
It's not too bad here right now either.  Not quite that hot, but lately the lake has been pretty warm, which I greatly appreciate!  You don't realize how close to the water your hiney is in a kayak until you go out in cold water!

Def
I hadn't thought of that! the water's bloomin cold over here, so maybe i should get a life jacket with central heating for my family jewels :D

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 01:14:04 AM
When camping I carry a tomahawk (more on that in a minute) a multitool, a fixed blade SOG and the necessary camping goodies like TP.

My friends and I went to a dunhams after a gunshow one day.  They had the Vietnam tomahawks there for $6.00  We each bought one.  At the register the clerk was staring at us looking a little stressed.  I asked her if they had some shovels and Lime in stock or if we would have to go to Wal-mart to get that.  She just broke out into a nervous smile.

Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 10:26:43 AM
When camping I carry a tomahawk (more on that in a minute) a multitool, a fixed blade SOG and the necessary camping goodies like TP.

My friends and I went to a dunhams after a gunshow one day.  They had the Vietnam tomahawks there for $6.00  We each bought one.  At the register the clerk was staring at us looking a little stressed.  I asked her if they had some shovels and Lime in stock or if we would have to go to Wal-mart to get that.  She just broke out into a nervous smile.
:D :D :D

At least you spiced up her day at work ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 01:19:29 PM
The Vietnam 'hawk is pretty neat... I am on my second one now.  I don;t use it for much though...

Def

Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 04:28:42 PM
The Vietnam 'hawk is pretty neat... I am on my second one now.  I don;t use it for much though...

Def
Are they any good for general camp stuff like splitting wood?

They look as though the head widens pretty agresively towards the eye, so is it prone to wedging ???

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: August 17, 2007, 05:17:56 PM
It's really only good for home defense and punishing ammunition cans.  I didn't find it threw all that well (actually it throws nicely, just doesn't stick well) and I'd hate to depend on it to split firewood.  It's a combat tool, not a utility tool, although the spike on the back does open cans of juice nicely!

Def

Reply #25 on: August 17, 2007, 10:19:37 PM
It's really only good for home defense and punishing ammunition cans.  I didn't find it threw all that well (actually it throws nicely, just doesn't stick well) and I'd hate to depend on it to split firewood.  It's a combat tool, not a utility tool, although the spike on the back does open cans of juice nicely!

Def
Thanks for saving me money (for once ::)) I figured that'd be the case :cry:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 12:34:06 AM
That's ok- I'll be costing you money again very soon when I rave about my new kukri!   :pok:

Def

Reply #27 on: August 18, 2007, 09:29:04 AM
That's ok- I'll be costing you money again very soon when I rave about my new kukri!   :pok:

Def
cool :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: August 18, 2007, 02:15:44 PM
Fortunately for you, the kukri I am getting is pretty inexpensive, but at (I think) 24" long it might cost more to ship to you than the knife itself costs!

Def

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 18, 2007, 04:27:35 PM
Here's one piece of gear that I've heard good buzz about. Good for not just camping,but day hikes as well
http://www.unbelievablesaw.com/
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44