Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Camping Essentials?

jock1 · 43 · 7265

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Re: Camping Essentials?
Reply #30 on: August 18, 2007, 05:02:02 PM
The Vietnam hawk does not split larger wood well.  Small stuff is OK.  My hawk throws very well.  I have no problem sticking it.  Then again, I have sharpened the spike so that it penetrates very well.  I modified it with a file so that it is more like a blade than a spike.  Kind of like the Lagana version of the tomahawk which is selling for more than $100 in some places.  I have no doubt that in a CQB scenario it would be a formidible weapon in the right hands.  I guess that they will even penetrate a Kevlar helmet but most home invaders around here dont wear those and besides, a .45 acp will usually stop them before it goes to hand to hand combat.  If it happens to fall that way I guess it would work :twak:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: August 18, 2007, 05:10:36 PM
The point sticks nice but the blade needs some serious thinning down to stick well.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #32 on: August 18, 2007, 05:10:56 PM
Here's one piece of gear that I've heard good buzz about. Good for not just camping,but day hikes as well
http://www.unbelievablesaw.com/
I've got one pretty simalar to that...

http://outdoors-magazine.com/s_article.php?id_article=146

I've got to say I'm very impressed with it, and it's a hell of a lot quieter than and axe in the woods ;) :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #33 on: August 18, 2007, 05:14:35 PM
The Vietnam hawk does not split larger wood well.  Small stuff is OK.  My hawk throws very well.  I have no problem sticking it.  Then again, I have sharpened the spike so that it penetrates very well.  I modified it with a file so that it is more like a blade than a spike.  Kind of like the Lagana version of the tomahawk which is selling for more than $100 in some places.  I have no doubt that in a CQB scenario it would be a formidible weapon in the right hands.  I guess that they will even penetrate a Kevlar helmet but most home invaders around here dont wear those and besides, a .45 acp will usually stop them before it goes to hand to hand combat.  If it happens to fall that way I guess it would work :twak:
thanks for that mate, i thought it would excel at CQB but i was hoping it would be a little better at camp chours ::)

Reply #34 on: August 18, 2007, 05:16:36 PM
That's ok- I'll be costing you money again very soon when I rave about my new kukri!   :pok:

Def
So what kukri are you after then mate?

At 24 inches is it a sirupatu?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: August 18, 2007, 05:31:15 PM
Cold Steel Magnum Kukri Machete.

And I'd like to point out that a much better method of home protection than any firearm or other weapon is an officia BFD security system.  That's what I use.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #36 on: August 18, 2007, 06:06:20 PM
BFD security system ???

I've heard a lot of good things about the cheaper coldsteel range, which is good as thats pretty much all i can afford these days ::) ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: August 18, 2007, 06:42:38 PM
Big F*ckin' Dogs!  Always loaded and ready to respond.  No keys, access cards or codes, no programming hassles plus it works when the power is cut!

I have heard great things about the CS machetes too- I'll let you know how good it is when it gets here.

Def

Reply #38 on: August 18, 2007, 07:32:57 PM
Big F*ckin' Dogs!  Always loaded and ready to respond.  No keys, access cards or codes, no programming hassles plus it works when the power is cut!

Def
doh! :D :D

My dogs so old she'd probably have a heart attack chasing after any potential intruders ::)

Offline Papacat

Reply #39 on: August 18, 2007, 09:12:48 PM
Here's one piece of gear that I've heard good buzz about. Good for not just camping,but day hikes as well

I've got to say I'm very impressed with it, and it's a hell of a lot quieter than and axe in the woods ;) :D

I've seen a knock-off version of it at Wal Mart for about ten bucks.  My fear is that I would get what I pay for. 

-Papacat.
"

Reply #40 on: August 18, 2007, 10:26:32 PM

I've seen a knock-off version of it at Wal Mart for about ten bucks.  My fear is that I would get what I pay for. 

-Papacat.
Like the old saying goes ''quality only hurts once'' given the amount of strain a saw is under its best to get the best one you can afford in my opinion, than some cheap knock of that will probably rip your eye out when (not if) it decides to let go ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: August 19, 2007, 03:22:59 AM
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=195&Itemid=35

Look at the cheap SAK there.... knockoffs are evil.  And not in the good way.

Def

us Offline CQC-7

• No Life Club
  • Right Wing Psychopath!
Reply #42 on: August 19, 2007, 04:44:02 PM
I have a cold steel machete.  I have the Bolo model.  I will have to say that it is well built and I got it for $11 I believe.  No sheath but if you are hacking through brush it really does not need one.  It will hold an edge quite well.  The Kukari model seems cool but I have limited use for a machette anymore.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%