Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vector Knives one piece tools. Self defense?

Offline Lasse Eskildsen

Vector Knives one piece tools. Self defense?
on: May 31, 2010, 10:54:18 PM
Hey there! I just found two new one-piece tools (So I think atleast, havent seen any mention of them here) They seem rather usefull and loaded with features, specifically am I attracted to the combo of prybar/socket wrench of the ATS. What is more interresting about them is that they seem to be made with self defense in mind, while being disguised as tools (Which they look to be very usefull as, aswell)

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/vector-knives-ats-233
ATS. Seems very much to be able to function as a impact device used in hammer-fist style, like the travel wrench by Kelly S. Worden, or Wild Duck by Raid Ops, but is not quite as obivious as a weapon.

http://www.fenixoutfitters.com/vector-knives-pry-wonder-232
Pry Wonder. This one is a bit more likely to be seen as a brass knuckle I think. That is, if your finger can slip through the middle hole, but it seems so. It could be compared to the Single Finger Nuck by Alpha Innovations I think. I certainly wouldnt want to be punched in the face with that pry bar. I imagine though that the screwdrivers will dig somewhat into your palm.

The prices are quite nice aswell for a one piece tool and how crammed they are with tools.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Vector Knives one piece tools. Self defense?
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:25 PM
Interesting that you mentioned the Travel Wrench, aka Impact Kerambit, since that's pretty much what I thought when I saw them!

I have a theory on defensive capable tools, and that's that I won't buy a tool designed with self defense in mind- it's too tactical which is much like gourmet in that it's just become a marketing term and doesn't mean a damned thing.  In all my years working high risk security I used all manner of things as impromptu weapons, and the result is that any item when used properly is capable of filling a role as a defensive tool.  I am sure Datu Worden would agree that in the right (or wrong, depending on your perspective!) hands a cell phone can be just as dangerous as a knife.

Add to that the problem inherent in all multitools, the infamous tradeoff, and things just get that much worse.  All multifunction tools are designed to incorporate as many features as possible, meaning that they don't fill the roles as neatly as dedicated tools, but then have a lot more functions than dedicated tools, hence the tradeoff.  The more functions a tool has, the more it trades off on each one.  Add in a relatively useless function like "ninja dismembering tool" and you have just traded off some actual function for some useless marketing.

Still, I wouldn't mind giving these tools a test drive.  Felinevet is an authorized Fenix dealer, so maybe he can help anyone interested in trying these out.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Re: Vector Knives one piece tools. Self defense?
Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:34:32 AM
Add to that the problem inherent in all multitools, the infamous tradeoff, and things just get that much worse.  All multifunction tools are designed to incorporate as many features as possible, meaning that they don't fill the roles as neatly as dedicated tools, but then have a lot more functions than dedicated tools, hence the tradeoff.  The more functions a tool has, the more it trades off on each one.  Add in a relatively useless function like "ninja dismembering tool" and you have just traded off some actual function for some useless marketing.

Still, I wouldn't mind giving these tools a test drive.  Felinevet is an authorized Fenix dealer, so maybe he can help anyone interested in trying these out.

Def

I believe Cold Steel will be coming out with one next week...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%