Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

(newbie) Spirit Plus Ratchet opinions wanted

us Offline Multiple Personality

(newbie) Spirit Plus Ratchet opinions wanted
on: June 03, 2010, 08:04:53 PM
I am new here but have been using multi-tools for many years.  I have many Swiss Army knives and Leatherman multi-tools and have been thinking about getting the Spirit Plus Ratchet.  For several years now my "everyday" tool has been a Leatherman Juice Xe6 and my "everyday" toolbox has been a Leatherman Surge with additional bits and blades.  I have read that many people have had problems with their LM Surge's, I have not.  The ratcheting ability of the Spirit Plus Ratchet is intriguing though.  I would really like to hear from people who have been using the Spirit Plus Ratchet to hear both the pro's and con's.  The Surge is heavy, I will grant you that, how does the Spirit Plus Ratchet compare to the Surge in weight and bulk?  Thank you.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Re: (newbie) Spirit Plus Ratchet opinions wanted
Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 08:34:25 PM
The Spirit is a much smaller and lighter tool than your Surge - it's more comparable to the Leatherman Wave if you're familiar with the Wave. The pliers are more substantial however than your Juice.

As a tool, the Spirit is a fine tool, but I can't comment on the ratchet as I've only handled one, not used one. I am however on the lookout for a bargain on the ratchet based on what I do know about it :)

I used to come here a lot.

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:21:09 PM
I've never owned a Surge (got to use one when in the army though) but do have some (actually, all kinds of ::)) Spirits, including the bit kits (ratcheting and L-shaped thingies). The ratchet is what I now carry, but it's not without "issues". First, the ratchet without the extension is practically useless as the reach of the bits alone is miniscule. If you want to go minimal/lightweight, go for the L-shaped wrench. Second, I wanted to use it with LM (flat) bits, and found that the ring holding the bits in the driver was not such a good fit (it would hold the flat bits if inserted a certain way and they would fall out otherwise); I ended up combining the Vic ratchet with LM's bit extender to get the best of both worlds. Third, I've never over-torqued it so I don't have any hard facts as to its structural strength, but being a small ratchet I wouldn't overdo it; if you're dealing with stubborn screws most of the time, I would suggest the L-shaped thingy again.

All in all, if you're happy with LM flat bits and don't want to go the full-hex way, I'd suggest sticking with your Surge, probably adding just a LM bit extender.

us Offline Multiple Personality

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 06:54:29 PM
Thanks for your help.  I think I will look for a LM extender, it sounds like that might be the way to go for me.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 08:51:39 PM
I'm happy with the ratchet for light jobs, or tight places.  Any more than that and I'm looking for something a little more substantial.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%