Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Charge tti

Hkk · 21 · 2513

Offline Hkk

Charge tti
on: June 02, 2010, 02:11:56 AM
Just got a new charge tti today and have already have to send it in for repair the bridge on the guthook blade is cracked all the way through very dissapointed in such an expensive tool with such an obvious defect from the factory

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: Charge tti
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 03:34:52 AM
I have owned an ALX, and from what I understand they have the same gut hook serrated blade.  I used the crap out of that guthook with no signs of wear or breakage.  Sounds like you have a rare problem with that bridge breaking.  It seems that the QC at Leatherman has had some problems(I didn't start this thread Davek!  :D), but luckily for all of us their warranty is still top notch.  I think they are starting to fix the problem, because my ST300 is stamped 0909, and it is flawless.  What is the datestamp on your charge?  All the Leatherman tools I had problems with were 08 models.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 04:56:43 AM
From what I've read, Leatherman totally outsources most of thier manufacturing to an extent, with the plier heads being made in Mexico, and the files somewhere in Europe..

I'm actually suprised that the folks over at QC haven't been outsourced themselves, especially from some of the horror stories that I've heard coming as of late from Leatherman..

Now I know why I treasure my original wave so much, when "made in USA" meant the absolute best..

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 05:04:49 AM
Its so shame to Leatherman,great tool but not so QC. ??? :-\

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 05:08:27 AM
Just got a new charge tti today and have already have to send it in for repair the bridge on the guthook blade is cracked all the way through very dissapointed in such an expensive tool with such an obvious defect from the factory

You will try a Swisstool or Swisstool Spirit,and you never be disappointed.

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:13:47 AM
I have owned an ALX, and from what I understand they have the same gut hook serrated blade.  I used the crap out of that guthook with no signs of wear or breakage.  Sounds like you have a rare problem with that bridge breaking.  It seems that the QC at Leatherman has had some problems(I didn't start this thread Davek!  :D), but luckily for all of us their warranty is still top notch.  I think they are starting to fix the problem, because my ST300 is stamped 0909, and it is flawless.  What is the datestamp on your charge?  All the Leatherman tools I had problems with were 08 models.

Yes,they "fix the problem",actually if they fix one problem the tool returns with another problem,and etc.

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:21:33 AM
LMs are not totally outsourced! The plier heads are from mexico because the company LM always used moved to mexico. So they continued to use them. Not sure on the file but everything else is done in Oregon.

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 05:27:28 AM
also as far as get a vic and never be dissapointed? Thats a crock! I have a spirit and i dont like the thing. The plier heads are too thick to be usefull as needlenose. The drivers are weaker and slippy.

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 05:31:51 AM
also as far as get a vic and never be dissapointed? Thats a crock! I have a spirit and i dont like the thing. The plier heads are too thick to be usefull as needlenose. The drivers are weaker and slippy.

The pliers on Swisstool and Swisstool Spirit is very useful  :tu:,the drivers...yes,a little slippy,but useful too. :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:36:33 AM by CumminsDiesel »

00 Offline jim guy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 05:38:56 AM
the drivers are not as strong as LMs, ive twisted mine, and they twisted easy. Vic may have better qc than LM, but there tools are not as well thouht out as LMs. The drivers on my vic are no better than what LM had on their psts. I also dont like the pinned together construction.

Offline Hkk

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 05:48:35 AM
Mine is dated 0110 I've got pics of the crack I'm talking bout but can't post them from my phone I can email them to someone and they can post them if they like ,I also have a spirit and love it and have a swisstool on The way I will always have the vics but also like trying otherthings to give them a rest and to have a back up incase there is a problem with one off them .

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 05:58:33 AM
the drivers are not as strong as LMs, ive twisted mine, and they twisted easy. Vic may have better qc than LM, but there tools are not as well thouht out as LMs. The drivers on my vic are no better than what LM had on their psts. I also dont like the pinned together construction.

I agree,LM have great drivers,but I can easily use ratchet  :tu: with 1/4 beats and not abuse tool drivers.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:00:25 AM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 06:38:32 AM
Okay, a new debate!!  At least we aren't arguing about plier heads.   As far as LM parts being outsourced, I have to side with Jim Guy, I think they do outsource the plier heads, but only the casting part.  The finish grinding is done in Portland.  In fact, from what I've seen all their grinding is done in portland.  As for the rest of the parts, I really have no idea.  I would assume they outsource all cast parts, because it is cheaper to have a foundry do it than to do it yourself. 

And the driver debate.  I can honestly state that the phillips driver is the main reason I don't carry a spirit.  It slips and galls way too easily.  I have a LM blast that has seen around 500 screws, and you can't tell a bit.  In reality, Vic drivers don't hold a candle to LM drivers.  They're pretty, but ineffective.  Don't get me wrong, I love Vics like no other, but their drivers just don't cut it.

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 07:46:57 AM
Okay, a new debate!!  At least we aren't arguing about plier heads.   As far as LM parts being outsourced, I have to side with Jim Guy, I think they do outsource the plier heads, but only the casting part.  The finish grinding is done in Portland.  In fact, from what I've seen all their grinding is done in portland.  As for the rest of the parts, I really have no idea.  I would assume they outsource all cast parts, because it is cheaper to have a foundry do it than to do it yourself. 

And the driver debate.  I can honestly state that the phillips driver is the main reason I don't carry a spirit.  It slips and galls way too easily.  I have a LM blast that has seen around 500 screws, and you can't tell a bit.  In reality, Vic drivers don't hold a candle to LM drivers.  They're pretty, but ineffective.  Don't get me wrong, I love Vics like no other, but their drivers just don't cut it.

Thats why I like LM - they're useful  :tu:

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #14 on: June 02, 2010, 08:04:48 AM

I agree,LM have great drivers,but I can easily use ratchet  :tu: with 1/4 beats and not abuse tool drivers.

The point of a MT is to carry less tools, why would you even carry a MT if you can just use the ratchet?

I have owned an ALX, and from what I understand they have the same gut hook serrated blade.  I used the crap out of that guthook with no signs of wear or breakage.  Sounds like you have a rare problem with that bridge breaking.  It seems that the QC at Leatherman has had some problems(I didn't start this thread Davek!  :D), but luckily for all of us their warranty is still top notch.  I think they are starting to fix the problem, because my ST300 is stamped 0909, and it is flawless.  What is the datestamp on your charge?  All the Leatherman tools I had problems with were 08 models.

Yes,they "fix the problem",actually if they fix one problem the tool returns with another problem,and etc.

I must disagree with you here.  As many readers on this forum know, I have had my share of complaints with LM products.  But never, NEVER, have they sent me back a faulty product, and if they did, I would have the decency to send it back and not mention the flub publicly.  Their warranty is one of the best, and out of all the companies I have bought things from(which is a lot), Leatherman "respects" the consumer the most by asking minimal questions and making your warranty experience very easy.   They treat every warranty like it is completely their fault, IE even when you step on your multitool to test it and break the plier head.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 08:34:44 AM
if i want a tool for the drivers i use the ST300, if its for the saw /files/blade i use the swisstool , i see me using the swisstool while camping etc , the st300 has been a very useful DIY tool, the LM's drivers are far better than the swisstools especially the Phillips,vic need to not polish the top section,  :tu:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 08:35:52 AM

The point of a MT is to carry less tools, why would you even carry a MT if you can just use the ratchet?

I have owned an ALX, and from what I understand they have the same gut hook serrated blade.  I used the crap out of that guthook with no signs of wear or breakage.  Sounds like you have a rare problem with that bridge breaking.  It seems that the QC at Leatherman has had some problems(I didn't start this thread Davek!  :D), but luckily for all of us their warranty is still top notch.  I think they are starting to fix the problem, because my ST300 is stamped 0909, and it is flawless.  What is the datestamp on your charge?  All the Leatherman tools I had problems with were 08 models.

I must disagree with you here.  As many readers on this forum know, I have had my share of complaints with LM products.  But never, NEVER, have they sent me back a faulty product, and if they did, I would have the decency to send it back and not mention the flub publicly.  Their warranty is one of the best, and out of all the companies I have bought things from(which is a lot), Leatherman "respects" the consumer the most by asking minimal questions and making your warranty experience very easy.   They treat every warranty like it is completely their fault, IE even when you step on your multitool to test it and break the plier head.

%100 agree! :tu: :)

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 07:57:44 PM
If there's a problem with your Charge TTi, send it in for warranty repair. I did so with my ST300 and they sent me a perfect tool back. They produce a boatload of tools and if a couple slip through the cracks with some problems, their warranty makes that acceptable IMO. If you decide to write them off, you'll be missing out on the best tools!
SAW

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #18 on: June 03, 2010, 03:13:19 AM
Sorry to hear about your damaged tool Hkk - sounds more like it got broken than a QC issue tbh - where did you get it from? I've not heard of a problem like that one before.

From what I've read, Leatherman totally outsources most of thier manufacturing to an extent, with the plier heads being made in Mexico, and the files somewhere in Europe..

You should read more reliable sources ;)

Leatherman's plier heads are indeed now cast in Mexico, since the company they have always used moved there. There has been suggestion that some files were made somewhere in Europe, but I've yet to see any actual evidence of that as opposed to speculation. During the 1980s, some PSTs and Minitools were made in Japan. The vast majority of parts are manufactured, and all assembly of the tools takes place in Oregon.

So any perceived "QC problems" are "Made in USA".

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 04:04:42 AM
Sorry to hear about your damaged tool Hkk - sounds more like it got broken than a QC issue tbh - where did you get it from? I've not heard of a problem like that one before.

You should read more reliable sources ;)

Leatherman's plier heads are indeed now cast in Mexico, since the company they have always used moved there. There has been suggestion that some files were made somewhere in Europe, but I've yet to see any actual evidence of that as opposed to speculation. During the 1980s, some PSTs and Minitools were made in Japan. The vast majority of parts are manufactured, and all assembly of the tools takes place in Oregon.

So any perceived "QC problems" are "Made in USA".

I thought it was common knowledge that they assembled all the tools in Oregon.  This is what happens when people read an opinion and their mind transforms it into misplaced fact.  If you check out LM's website, they will tell you they assemble everything in the Portland Factory, right down to the super sturdy clamshells. 

Hkk, I sent my Blast in last week on 5-26, and they sent it back out to me yesterday.  It should be here no later than next wednesday or so.  That's a pretty quick turnaround.  Good luck with your warranty return, it should go smoothly.

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 09:50:03 AM
Excuse my ignorance for the use of the word, "totally", I must have been unwittingly been typing in a California accent!!  ::)

Anyhoo's I had read that the plier heads were now made in Mexico (Thanks NAFTA) due to the companys relocation,  but also that thier files and saws were being made in either the Czech or Slovakian republics..

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24