Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Any Fisherman here?

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
  • Pitbulls are people too
Any Fisherman here?
on: June 09, 2010, 12:30:44 AM
 Well, where do i begin?
When i was a kid my dad always promised me that he would take me fishing but like with everthing else, he never came through.
Now here I am 36 years old maybe fished 3 times (with other people in my early teens while living in FL) in my whole life and i want to start fishing.
  It seems every one around me does it and family members keep inviting me so i said, what the hell.
So I guess what I am getting at is; can any of you fisherman give me some advice?

Anything you can teach me is info I dont know so even the most simple advice would be apreciated.
I will attempt fishing in both fresh and salt water since I live near both and need advice on anything from what type of reel to buy what type of rod, fishing line, hooks and what multis and knives to carry along with anything else i have not mentioned.
Oh, i also forgot to mention, my money is REALLY TIGHT right now so lets keep the fishing equipment advice on the lower budget end.
 THANK YOU MUCH
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 12:40:53 AM by nelly1974 »
[

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Re: Any Fisherman here?
Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 12:42:50 AM
My freshwater rig for hours of fun.

Zebco 33 (you can find these at yard sales for like 10 bucks), 4 lb test line, Eagle claw small golden hook, and a bucket of crickets or mealworms.  This a freshwater rig to catch bluegill and rockbass.  They're small, but they put up a half decent fight, and are easy to catch.  If you're catching fish, you will have more fun.

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 01:00:19 AM
4 lb test line, Eagle claw small golden hook
Please explain what these are. I wasn't kidding when i said i didnt know anything. :-\
[

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 02:55:43 AM
Great past-time, one I didnt appreciate in my youth (seemed boring).  I like the old tried and true Mitchel reel.  You do not need fancy/expensive rods and reel (its a poor craftsman that blames his tools).  I like medical clamps for hook extraction and a nail clipper for line cutting and clearing paint from line holes on bait.  A must (at least in fresh water fishing) are a pair of polarized sunglasses.  Twizzlers, beef sticks, and Pepsi-One are the snacks of choice.

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 03:26:54 AM
Please explain what these are. I wasn't kidding when i said i didnt know anything. :-\

:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 03:45:12 AM
I love fishing. Salt and fresh. My dad never wanted to go fishing so enter the Boy Scouts.
A good spinning rod and reel is the best setup for all around fun fishing..imo.  You can find some great deals at garage sales and Craigslist on fishing equipment..walmart and academy too. I've been a budget fisherman all my life..fishing from the bank as none of us backwoods hillbillies can afford a boat. ::)

My secret weapons are.. a backpack for totin in water bottle, knife, tackle box and extra line/parts for quick repairs. I always bring 2 rod and reel combos so ifin one breaks i can continue fishing..especially if i just walked a mile to my fishing spot. A good broad rim hat, polarized specs (walmart 3.99) lanyard for the multitool. Oh and fishing licence is a must..game wardens can take your stuff ifin you aren't legal.

Don't bite the line to cut it..it'll tear up your teeth. Learn a few good knots for tying the line. 1000 pound test line is only as good as the knot you tied it with. Bring a camera to prove your catch. Live bait and a yellow spinner bait are standard tackle for most fish.

us Offline Pacu

Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 03:47:33 AM
also keep an eye on extreme clearance at Academy....300 bucks worth of fishing rod and reel.....43 bucks back in 2001

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 04:09:12 AM

4lb test is basicially the breaking point of the line.  Its lightweight and casts easy, its also more sensitive for smaller fish nibbles.  Send me your addy and I will send you some basics if you want.

Offline Fishnuts2

Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 04:12:35 AM
Get yourself a spinning reel and rod at a garage sale or estate sale and then set out to observe kids fishing on the banks of a lake or river.  They seem to have better luck than me most of the time anyway!  As mentioned before, get that license and start thinking like a starving fish!
P.S.  The best Multi is a Gerber 400 or 600 for fishing use.  The one hand opening is a must if you have a decent sized fish and you have to use pliers to get the hook out of them.  My new Skeletool sucked big time last weekend in this department.
Have fun! :tu:
W

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 04:24:41 AM
 hey guys,
thanks for the great tips and please keep em coming i am really learning a lot. :)
[

us Offline Pacu

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 04:53:56 AM
http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

http://whaticaught.com/Fishing-Tips.htm

I like salt water fishing but i dont have/ can't afford the equipment. If you ever get down to the gulf go out on a party barge where the cost per person is way cheaper than a charter boat. They supply everything and lunch.

Before i was married i went out on a 60 plus hour Blackfin/Yellowfin tuna trip out in the gulf. That was an epic fishing trip well worth the insane cost of gas/charter/guide/tips/beer/food and bait costs.

If you go to Mexico salt water fishing....well just don't ::)  i got extorted 250 bucks for a wooden plank with a motor on it and taken 20 miles offshore on it.  Scary.stuff. I thought i'd never see land again. Waves coming over the side fighting marlin with a Snoopy rod and reel.

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 12:56:02 PM
  If you go to Mexico salt water fishing....well just don't ::)  i got extorted 250 bucks for a wooden plank with a motor on it and taken 20 miles offshore on it.  Scary.stuff. I thought i'd never see land again. Waves coming over the side fighting marlin with a Snoopy rod and reel.
:rofl:
[

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 03:10:55 PM

Send me your addy and I will send you some basics if you want.
Thanks a bunch Zack. :)
[

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 04:56:09 PM
I fish at least three times a week i fish mostly for catfish and striped bass. Florida is a great place to fish there is good salColorful Enunciationer and freshwater fishing. You can catch big catfish in Florida here is a link to a cat fishing forum join and go to the Florida area and the guys there will help you out. Go fishing with the guys and they will catching big fish in no time at all. If you look around the forum they will have all the info you need in fact maybe to much. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/forum.php

As far as fishing tackle i would start with a 7' one peice medium heavy Ugly Stick. An Ugly Stick is a big bang for your buck they have a good action and load up nice. They can be bought for 29.00 every ware. Reels i like bait casters i have a Ming Yang CL30 it cost me 30.00 to my door. It is probably best to start with a spinning reel Okumas are great reels a ABF65 is about 65.00. This reel comes with a bait feeder. What this is you cast your line out set your bait feeder this lets a fish take your bait and run with it then you turn it off and hold on tight.
If you don't have a lot of money go to Walmart and buy a 7' Tiger combo 17.00 and go fishing it comes spooled with 20lb line. Rig it with a Carolina rig (google it) with a two or three ounce sinker and 2/0 bait holder hook. Buy some chicken liver for bait.
Hope this helps tight lines,
Mike
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 05:21:49 PM by Mike 56 »
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 01:24:27 AM
  Hey thanks for the links Mike.
Well i have been reading up on the fishing rods and reels and have noticed that the bigger expense and importance is the reel.
So i guess i need to start a trade thread for a good reel.
Any offers?
i have knives and multis.
[

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 05:34:51 PM
 Well, was blessed with a few rods and reels and am hoping to go fishing tomorrow in the a.m.
Any more tips would be apreciated as far as bait and such. I am fishing in the surf in a waterfront area in Perth Amboy NJ.
Thanks
[

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 06:01:02 PM
Unless you're planning on eating what you catch, get help removing hooks the first few times.  If you're doing catch and release, you really don't want to damage the fish.

Oh and have a BLAST!  I love fishing, just wish I had more time for it.  :(

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 07:52:23 PM
Read the fishing reports in your local papers and you can go to your local bait shop they can tell what kind of fish are being caught and what rigs and bait to use. Just remember if you keep at it you will catch fish and that fishing is not just about catching fish it is all so about getting out of the house and relaxing outdoors. Hope you have a good time. We are going out night fishing tonight on the delta. We will go out at 10:00 and fish until daybreak.
Good luck and tight lines,
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 08:24:30 PM
 Well the 2 guys that were going with me just bailed out on me! So much for them teaching me the ropes ::)
 Oh well, I will go by myself and make the best of it. :-\
Thanks for all the help guys. :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 10:19:11 PM by nelly1974 »
[

us Offline Pacu

Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 10:48:38 PM
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at work.

unless you're on The Deadliest Catch :P

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 12, 2010, 04:14:17 AM
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at work.

unless you're on The Deadliest Catch :P
:D
[

us Offline Pacu

Reply #21 on: June 12, 2010, 04:31:07 AM
also remember to add 3 feet to the length of any fish you catch and make up a good "fish " story for the kin folk. It's standard fishing etiquette. :D

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: June 13, 2010, 03:26:32 AM
also remember to add 3 feet to the length of any fish you catch and make up a good "fish " story for the kin folk. It's standard fishing etiquette. :D
 How much do i add when i catch nothing ???
 So my wife gets out of the hospital (she is ok now) and i hit the water front to surf cast from 9am to 3pm. Would have stood longer but had a prior engagement.
ABSOLUTELY NOTHING :rant:
 But the guys on the dock caught nothing either, seemed to be a bad day for every one on that beach :-\
   One thing everyone here failed to tell me was, how sore i was going to end up at the end of the fishing. I cant move my neck and my arms feel like i was working out.
 Fortunately i got some good tips on surf casting from Nikko Ferrara (Leatherman123) yesterday and on his advice along with some yours, I got a nice Penn graphite 9' rod at walmart which only cost 29.99. It worked really well and i was casting it just as far as the experienced guys who were casting near me.
  Maybe i will go tomorrow morning again. :think:
Thanks for all your help guys, I think i am getting hooked :D

Sorry,
couldn't help myself. :rofl:
[

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 13, 2010, 04:26:33 PM
 So my wife gets out of the hospital (she is ok now) and i hit the water front to surf cast from 9am to 3pm. Would have stood longer but had a prior engagement.
 But the guys on the dock caught nothing either, seemed to be a bad day for every one on that beach :-\
   One thing everyone here failed to tell me was, how sore i was going to end up at the end of the fishing. I cant move my neck and my arms feel like i was working out.
 Fortunately i got some good tips on surf casting from Nikko Ferrara (Leatherman123) yesterday and on his advice along with some yours, I got a nice Penn graphite 9' rod at walmart which only cost 29.99. It worked really well and i was casting it just as far as the experienced guys who were casting near me.

Sorry,

Just be careful not to lose your camera, watch, a Surge, couple of Charges, your fiance, your Bear Gryll's knife, and a SAK or two when around the surf.  Some of the veterans around here will get that joke.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 13, 2010, 06:09:32 PM
Oh Zack  ::)
[

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 05:31:32 AM

Sorry,

Just be careful not to lose your camera, watch, a Surge, couple of Charges, your fiance, your Bear Gryll's knife, and a SAK or two when around the surf.  Some of the veterans around here will get that joke.

Maybe if Nelly asks nicely Nikko will take him out on his boat fishing :tu:

:D
Dennis

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 07:32:33 AM
Ah guys I went fishing today! I caught some really fat perch (we eat what we catch, and perch is one of my favorites here) but my mom caught a five pound bass (her first fish ever! Can you believe that?) and my dad caught a great big crappie- the first crappie anyone has ever caught in that pond.  :o

It was grand. :)

Only I started to lose faith in my beloved SOG knives... The field pup I have kept on dulling and so was doing worse and worse when I was gutting and scaling the fish.  :cry:

The Gerber EVO I had in my pocket ended up doing a much better job.  ??? ??? ???

You're killing me, SOG! First the bad customer service, now this!  :cry:

Slightly back on topic again: Does anyone here have any experience with Shakespeare Ugly Stiks? I'm thinking about getting one.
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 07:37:25 AM
9 to 3 is not a good time, you gotta go in the morning or evening when fishes are feeding.

If you plan to release them crimp the spur on the hooks, make remove it a lot easier and less damage, and remember they can't survive outside the water any longer than you can inside so don't take too long.

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 01:04:24 PM
  Well, caught 2 crabs yesterday :-\
didnt even know you could hook a crab. :o
let them go though.
[

us Offline nelly1974

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 01:07:59 PM
  "Just be careful not to lose your camera, watch, a Surge, couple of Charges, your fiance, your Bear Gryll's knife, and a SAK or two when around the surf.  Some of the veterans around here will get that joke."

Can you elaborate?
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24