Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

New Gerber Forum

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
New Gerber Forum
on: August 20, 2007, 03:51:02 PM
Well folks, here it is- the brand spankin' new Gerber Forum!  Let's get you Gerber Guys gabbing!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Re: New Gerber Forum
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 06:49:58 PM
Thank you Def!
Now Gerber is not left out in the cold I hope their attitude may change towards supporting Multitool.org.  :multi:
It was a bit like asking them to do the advertising for the other brands without being allowed to advertise their own stuff.

Dave

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
  • Supreme Planetary Overlord trainee
Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 07:17:16 PM
I don't pretend to know what goes through the minds of corporate types,but I can only hope if the good folks at Gerber start seeing some positive comments and feedback,they may come around.
I

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 01:56:12 AM
Whether a Gerber tool happens to be your personal favorite or not, you've got to admit they have quite a following out there in the real world. I just got home from a week long vacation of camping and hiking in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Of course, I was unable to shut off my multitool-focused brain just because I was on vacation. One thing I noted among the other campers and hikers who were "carrying" is that at least half of them had a black nylon Gerber sheath at their belt. At least half.

That says something.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 02:03:09 AM
True that, J-sews.

Most of the actual sheath tools I see here in Alabama are well-worn Gerbers. Leatherman and the others seem to be more common in the backpacks/pockets of the students here.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 02:34:33 AM
I'd have to agree that even I've seen probably almost as many gerber sheaths on belts out there as leathermans. Mabye not quite as many, but still quite a few.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 02:41:28 AM
I think much of that is because Gerber has such a powerful distribution network.  You have to remember that Gerber was founded by a marketing and advertising guy, not a tool or knife guy.

From Gerber's site:

Joseph Gerber started Portland, Oregon's Gerber Advertising back in 1910. One Christmas, he hired a local knifemaker to craft 25 sets of kitchen cutlery as client gifts. The knives were so popular, Mr. Gerber ultimately left his agency to launch Gerber Legendary Blades in 1939.

Any marketing/sales/advertising guy will tell you that it doesn't matter how good your tool is (or any product or service) if you can't deliver to the customer.  While we may look down on some marketers for whoring out good old fashioned names to sub standard products (Remington, Smith & Wesson, Winchester, Colt, Schrade... you get the idea) some of them actually spend more time making sure the customer has every opportunity to buy the products.  Not that Gerber is in the same class as those others of course, but they are more accessible than any other brand, and are sold in more sporting goods, department and hardware stores than any other.

That's why you see more Gerbers out there.  A good design will only take you so far. 

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #7 on: August 21, 2007, 02:43:54 AM
I think much of that is because Gerber has such a powerful distribution network.  You have to remember that Gerber was founded by a marketing and advertising guy...
Good point there, and I think you're right.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2007, 02:45:53 AM
It was bound to happen sooner or later!

:jedi:

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #9 on: August 21, 2007, 02:48:32 AM

Def
Gloat now if you will, but you know the bad guy always looses in the end  :angel:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2007, 02:50:57 AM
Well then I must be a really bad guy because I lose all the time!

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 02:56:19 AM
Or a really good one. Think of how many punches Rocky has to take before the music starts playing and it's all over.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 03:01:01 AM
Eh yo, I uh hadn't tot abouddit dat way y'know?

:cheers:

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 03:05:57 AM
Eh yo, I uh hadn't tot abouddit dat way y'know?

:cheers:

Def
I'm not sure I ever saw Rocky-Speak in written for before, but I like it! Did you use a translating service or something?
Now thouroughly OT... but I had to laugh when I saw a Video in the English school in Kyrgyzstan of Rambo 3 and it was labeled as not usable because the "English is unclear"!!  :D :D :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 03:11:53 AM
I've studied each Rocky film extensively...

It's pretty depressing that Stallone is in better shape in his 60's than I was in my... ever.

At least Ahh- nold has the decency to be getting flabby.

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #15 on: August 21, 2007, 03:22:09 AM
I've studied each Rocky film extensively...
I have a friend who had to do a big project/report about some peice of American art for a high school class, and he did it on the Rocky series, so he really "studied" them. ;D I have yet to see the 3rd one (with MR T!), but I've seen and enjoyed the rest, including the new one.

At least Ahh- nold has the decency to be getting flabby.
Yeah, it would be pretty weird for a govenor to look like Stalone does....  ;D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 21, 2007, 03:26:16 AM
If your governor looked like Stallone did in the last Rocky, or the upcoming Rambo film, you probably wouldn't dare vote for the other guy!

Def

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #17 on: August 21, 2007, 03:29:32 AM
If your governor looked like Stallone did in the last Rocky, or the upcoming Rambo film, you probably wouldn't dare vote for the other guy!

Def
I wouldn't dare BE the other guy!!  :o Still OT (  ::) ), but I didn't know there was to be another Rambo?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 03:40:07 AM
Yup- this time he has to liberate a stolen shipment of Geritol!  :grin:

Seriously, there is another movie coming out- I don't know much about it though.

Def

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 06:33:45 AM
From what I've heard about it, he's married and happy... then the government comes calling and needs him to do one last job...
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline damota

Reply #20 on: August 21, 2007, 10:25:00 AM
Whether a Gerber tool happens to be your personal favorite or not, you've got to admit they have quite a following out there in the real world. I just got home from a week long vacation of camping and hiking in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Of course, I was unable to shut off my multitool-focused brain just because I was on vacation. One thing I noted among the other campers and hikers who were "carrying" is that at least half of them had a black nylon Gerber sheath at their belt. At least half.

That says something.

I think that they have got the design, build and price right. The slider mech. has me bought into them. When they have made a mistake in the design they have tried a different way of doing it rather than bring an entirely new tool out. The first Butterflies they brought out were just too expensive but now they are using imported steels (as the rest are) they are producing Butterfly designs at very reasonable prices.
To be honest if Gerber ended the slider design I would go back to carrying separate plier, cutter and strippers  with one arm stuck in my back pocket rather than even try a Butterfly design (had enough of them with odd scissor designs I have had).

Dave

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #21 on: August 21, 2007, 10:49:29 AM

Def
Gloat now if you will, but you know the bad guy always looses in the end  :angel:
And there's me thinking that good guys always finished last >:D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Reply #22 on: August 21, 2007, 10:54:25 AM

That says something.

I think that they have got the design, build and price right. The slider mech. has me bought into them. When they have made a mistake in the design they have tried a different way of doing it rather than bring an entirely new tool out. The first Butterflies they brought out were just too expensive but now they are using imported steels (as the rest are) they are producing Butterfly designs at very reasonable prices.
To be honest if Gerber ended the slider design I would go back to carrying separate plier, cutter and strippers  with one arm stuck in my back pocket rather than even try a Butterfly design (had enough of them with odd scissor designs I have had).

Dave
I think thats the point I was trying to make a couple of days ago, that they can't be that bad as there are so many people out there with gerber's on there hips, hands, and belts :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #23 on: August 21, 2007, 06:42:36 PM
True that, J-sews.

Most of the actual sheath tools I see here in Alabama are well-worn Gerbers. Leatherman and the others seem to be more common in the backpacks/pockets of the students here.

That matches my observations.

Leatherman seems to be prevalent amongst college students, backpackers, etc.

Gerber seems to be more common amongst tradesmen and ordinary working stiffs.

Marketing and distribution are important, but I think the choice of a multi often comes down to price and perceived value.

Typically, the Gerber multis offer more "bang for the buck" than the Leatherman multis, while giving up a little something in the fit and finish department.

N

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 06:48:57 PM
 Back sometime ago,after the Indonesian tsunami,Brian Williams of NBC News was broadcasting from the scene.I'm positive he had a Gerber multi tool sheath on his belt.Brian also takes pride in his training and time he's put in with a vo. FD in his home state of New Jersey.
I

Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 06:51:34 PM
True that, J-sews.

That matches my observations.

Leatherman seems to be prevalent amongst college students, backpackers, etc.

Gerber seems to be more common amongst tradesmen and ordinary working stiffs.

Marketing and distribution are important, but I think the choice of a multi often comes down to price and perceived value.

Typically, the Gerber multis offer more "bang for the buck" than the Leatherman multis, while giving up a little something in the fit and finish department.
Even here in the UK If your lucky enough to find a shop that sells knives, odds on It'll be either knockoffs, Victorinox's or Gerber's :)

Almost all the other big players in the multitool world are pretty much internet only, so actually getting your hands on a model before purchase is to all intends impossible for most of us in the UK :cry:

Thats the good thing about forum's like these, they save me money ;D

Reply #26 on: August 21, 2007, 06:53:49 PM
.Brian also takes pride in his training and time he's put in with a vo. FD in his home state of New Jersey.
whats a vo. FD? ???

volunteer fire dept?

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 12:41:16 AM
Even here in the UK If your lucky enough to find a shop that sells knives, odds on It'll be either knockoffs, Victorinox's or Gerber's :)

Almost all the other big players in the multitool world are pretty much internet only, so actually getting your hands on a model before purchase is to all intends impossible for most of us in the UK :cry:

Thats the good thing about forum's like these, they save me money ;D

Doesn't the U.K. have any big outdoor sports stores, like Cabelas, Bass Pro, REI, etc.  Those huge outdoor sports chain stores have proliferated throughout most of the U.S. in the last few decades.  Any large metro area in the U.S. will have at least those three, plus half-a-dozen smaller outdoor stores.

Gun stores and pawn shops offer at least a small selection of multis and knives.  Even department store chains like Target and WalMart, and home improvement stores like Lowes, offer some minimal selection of brand name multis and knives.

N

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 01:52:42 AM
From what I've heard about it, he's married and happy... then the government comes calling and needs him to do one last job...

Nope.

Here's the trailer:
http://www.ifilm.com/video/2856280

Offline I'm Still Bison

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 22, 2007, 03:32:05 AM
.Brian also takes pride in his training and time he's put in with a vo. FD in his home state of New Jersey.
whats a vo. FD? ???

volunteer fire dept?
ooops..left off a letter :oops: on a side note,talking about newsmen,Dan Rather once said in an interview that when he went on location,he always packed a Leatherman.
I

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD