Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Recoil

damota · 11 · 3753

Offline damota

Gerber Recoil
on: August 20, 2007, 08:03:05 PM
I recently fitted the pocket clip from the Paul Chen I have trashed to the Recoil. I am finding it is becoming a constant companion. Comfortable to carry both inside and out side the pocket it is also solid enough to clip on my belt.
I first thought of this tool as a bit of a joke but I am now getting rather fond of carrying it as I am finding it so useful.

Dave

* DSC00182a.jpg (Filesize: 58.67 KB)

* DSC00184a.jpg (Filesize: 83.12 KB)

Offline damota

Re: Gerber Recoil
Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 08:04:39 PM
Outside carry!

Dave

* DSC00183a.jpg (Filesize: 61.59 KB)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: August 21, 2007, 11:22:19 AM
Outside carry!

Dave
Sideclips are one of the things multitool and sak manufacturers seem genuinly reluctant to put on there tools (leatherman excepted) I always assumed it was a combination of cost or ergonomics?

Does it hurt the palm of your hand during heavy work mate ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline damota

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 02:00:25 PM
Sideclips are one of the things multitool and sak manufacturers seem genuinly reluctant to put on there tools (leatherman excepted) I always assumed it was a combination of cost or ergonomics?

IMO the Recoil is not for 'heavy' work, to me it is Gerber medium tool. The drivers, although the Philips can take the bit adapter and the flat headed one can be used as a pry bar I think they would twist if too much torque was applied too often. It does make a handy EDC though.
Like all the sliding headed Gerbers if you did have to use both hands to drive in a screw you would need some sort of padding between the sticking out ends of the plier head and your palm were you were pushing down. A knotted rag would do. I could imagine if a butterfly was opened up as suggested so often on the forum they would also be quite painfull as you pressed down on the handle end though.
All the multis are a compromise for the different tools they are replacing and will never be as good/easy as using the right tool for the job. :-[

Dave
« Last Edit: August 21, 2007, 02:02:04 PM by damota »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 02:23:43 PM

IMO the Recoil is not for 'heavy' work, to me it is Gerber medium tool. The drivers, although the Philips can take the bit adapter and the flat headed one can be used as a pry bar I think they would twist if too much torque was applied too often. It does make a handy EDC though.
Like all the sliding headed Gerbers if you did have to use both hands to drive in a screw you would need some sort of padding between the sticking out ends of the plier head and your palm were you were pushing down. A knotted rag would do. I could imagine if a butterfly was opened up as suggested so often on the forum they would also be quite painfull as you pressed down on the handle end though.
All the multis are a compromise for the different tools they are replacing and will never be as good/easy as using the right tool for the job. :-[

Dave
Thanks for the reply mate, I usually carry a buff neck scarf with me to protect my delicate hands ;)

My old supertool would always muller my hands if i use it for heavy work, and although i use swisstools and spirits now the habbit of using the buff has still stuck :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 10:10:51 PM
I recently fitted the pocket clip from the Paul Chen I have trashed to the Recoil. I am finding it is becoming a constant companion. Comfortable to carry both inside and out side the pocket it is also solid enough to clip on my belt.
I first thought of this tool as a bit of a joke but I am now getting rather fond of carrying it as I am finding it so useful.

Dave

Great looking mod there, Dave.  Thanks for sharing it via the nice pics.

Pocket carry with a clip does work much better for me than carrying loose in a pocket.

What is approximate weight and closed length of the Recoil?

Personally, I won't routinely pocket carry (all day comfortable carry) a folder much over 4.5 inches in length, or of weight much over three ounces - maybe four ounces at max.  That's about as big and heavy as I can carry without being constantly aware of something in my pocket.

N

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 04:24:45 AM
.......I first thought of this tool as a bit of a joke but I am now getting rather fond of carrying it as I am finding it so useful.

Dave

I must admit that I have always considered this tool to be a joke too, and so never gave it a fair chance.

Tell me what I'm missing please Dave.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline damota

Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 04:21:05 PM

I must admit that I have always considered this tool to be a joke too, and so never gave it a fair chance.

Tell me what I'm missing please Dave.

I fixed the one hand opening problem when I noticed the blades were stamped out of the sheet with the curves from the stamping leaving no edge to catch your finger on. So I took a Dremmal cutting disk and sliced a hatch pattern on the finger openers that lets my finger/thumb catch on to the blade to make opening it easier. During the time I was thinking it was a bit of a joke tool I was not too fussy if I broke it so I have (miss)used it a lot as a pry bar and used it were I maybe should not have. It has not misshaped the blades at all. The tin opener I have given a sharp chisel edge to and not only does it rip lids but also can be used on its own for scored type cutting. The bit tool adapter did not fit too well (it was not on the drawing board when I got mine so may have changed now) so I have ground the Philips to fit in the adapter better.
The length of the 2 driver blades as I said before I would not put too much over the top torque to them but they have stood up well to normal use. Although I have heard disparaging things about the construction of this tool I have found it to be as tough as anything else available and now it has the clip it is so easy just to pick up and clip to belt/pocket I find I am using it more and more. The only fault I have with it are the scissors are a bit too small, ok for ripping through fabric or paper but can be painful cutting precise cuts. The tin opener helps that out because it can now be used as a utility knife.

Dave

Offline damota

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 05:06:05 PM

Personally, I won't routinely pocket carry (all day comfortable carry) a folder much over 4.5 inches in length, or of weight much over three ounces - maybe four ounces at max.  That's about as big and heavy as I can carry without being constantly aware of something in my pocket.

Just gets into your size spec. = 4.5 inches but way over your weight 8.6 oz.  :oops:

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 23, 2007, 02:51:12 AM

I fixed the one hand opening problem when I noticed the blades were stamped out of the sheet with the curves from the stamping leaving no edge to catch your finger on. So I took a Dremmal cutting disk and sliced a hatch pattern on the finger openers that lets my finger/thumb catch on to the blade to make opening it easier......

Dave

Ahhh...I see now! I had missed that cross-hatching the first time I looked at your photos.  :)

* crosshatch.jpg (Filesize: 91.23 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #10 on: August 23, 2007, 06:11:47 AM

Just gets into your size spec. = 4.5 inches but way over your weight 8.6 oz.  :oops:

Dave

[/quote]

Thanks Dave.

Although I wouldn't EDC a multi that heavy in a pocket, I'd definitely make use of the pocket clip when working around the house and yard.

Anyway, a great job adding the clip.

I don't understand why the manufacturers seem so averse to offering pocket clips for multis.  It would be easy enough to offer them as optional add ons, or to supply them with each multi but make them easily removable.

I'd think that a pocket clip would be a feature lots of people would find appealing.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD