Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best overall keychain Scissors - Squirt or SOG CrossCut ?

Offline preventec47

I've read that the Levered Crosscut scissors of SOG Crosscut
are unrivaled but the also excellent described scissors on the Squirt
may serve very well for my girlfriend on her keychain as both
seem to be about the same weight and dimension overall.

All things being equal the leveraged Scissors would win out
but if for instance the knife blade or other tools of the Squirt
were  superior then I would go with the Squirt as the extra function
of the SOG scissors might be overkill.

Has anyone used both and can comment on the differences in
apparent functionality and tool toughness ?
Thanks

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Best overall keychain Scissors - Squirt or SOG CrossCut ?
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 04:08:41 PM
You really can't go wrong with either, but I tend to lean towards the Squirt for EDC since it's a bit smaller (more convenient) and the various implements are a bit better.  The CrossCut is a much better pair of scissors, but it's not terribly often that you need such high quality scissors.  The Squirt's scissors are perfectly functional and you shouldn't think any less of them simply because they aren't as nice as the SOG's.  The CrossCut scissors are exemplary.

SOG CROSSCUT

I have a review of the Squirt S4 as well, but I haven't yet managed to photograph or upload it...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline preventec47

Reply #2 on: December 09, 2007, 05:10:30 PM
Thanks Def-
I think the ultimate test for scissors is the tough clam shell packaging
we cant get into without a blow torch usually.  I'm wondering if with
the leverage the SOG crosscut is up to the task as I feel sure the Micra
scissors would be overwhelmed.

I dont understand about the size difference you mention between
the two as these are the sizes for both is that I have seen
at the mfg websites:  cant hardly tell any difference.
Have you some more accurate info that reveals a larger difference ?
SOG  Closed  2.5"   Weight 1.7 oz    Open 4"     
Micra Closed  2.5"   Weight 1.75oz

I decided I didnt want the Squirt because of the fragile finish
and I dont see an overwelming functional advantage.
I just want a polished metal look.

Def, there is nothing better than having the world's foremost authority
on these items to talk to.  Shall we call you Professor Def from now on ?

Oh yea, about heavy duty use.  Would you say the joints on either
one could stand up longer to heavier type use if necessary?

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 05:33:00 PM
I have the SOG Crossgrip, which is the pliers version of their Crosscut.  The sharp gear teeth get in the way of carrying it loose in a pocket.  It comes with a plastic cover/pouch, but I would prefer to have the flexibility of carrying it "bare."  Can't do that due to its teeth.

The Leatherman Micra contain my favorite scissors, followed by the larger, discontinued Schrade Tough Chip (shown below).   The Micra is considerably more compact when folded.  They are still available through web dealers.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline preventec47

Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 06:12:00 PM
I have the SOG Crossgrip, which is the pliers version of their Crosscut.  The sharp gear teeth get in the way of carrying it loose in a pocket.  It comes with a plastic cover/pouch, but I would prefer to have the flexibility of carrying it "bare."  Can't do that due to its teeth.
The Leatherman Micra contain my favorite scissors, followed by the larger, discontinued Schrade Tough Chip (shown below).   The Micra is considerably more compact when folded.  They are still available through web dealers.
Parnass, I see the Micra has your favorite scissors but do you think they are
as capable of cutting heavy stuff like Clam shell plastic ?   For keychain carry
would you see a problem with the teeth on the SOG without the sheath ?
Do you have an opinion on the knife blade on the SOG vs the Micra ?
Thanks
Scott

Offline cryptrick

Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 06:22:26 PM
Hi Scott, you could also consider the Gerber Shortcut. See here:
http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Shortcut-22-01466.htm
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 06:39:05 PM
Hi Scott, you could also consider the Gerber Shortcut. See here:
http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Shortcut-22-01466.htm

You beat me to it! :D

I'm back!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 06:43:21 PM
Actually, if you don't mind not having a knife blade, the best scissors I have come across are the ones on the Gerber Solstice.  This is a discontinued model but is still readily available on ebay.
I'm back!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 06:49:08 PM
The Micra and Squirt have pretty well the same scissors, and I would say that both are up to the task of clam packs without a problem.  The SOG however, with the compound leverage will tear through clam packs like they were butter.  I would say there are very few jobs the SOG scissors could do that the Micra or Squirt couldn't.  Both are really good tools.  That having been said, I think that the Micra or Squirt is probably better suited to all round use, so unless you really need the extra powerful scissors, I'd probably stick to the Micra or Squirt.

The CrossCut may be a similar length and weight, but it's somewhat wider and thicker, with a little more "empty" space inside, while the Squirt and Micra are quite compact.  I'd take a photo to illustrate what I mean but my CrossCut is currently on vacation visiting another member for evaluation.  Perhaps someone else with both tools handy wouldn't mind?

The knife blade, file and bottle opener on the CrossCut and Micra are all good.  The Squirt's bottle opener is lacking a little bit compared to the other two.  It is still functional though.  The Squirt's tweezers are better than the Micra or the SOG because they are removable- the weight of the keychain tools becomes an issue when trying to do really fine work while balancing the remainder of the tool!  The SOG also has a toothpick, which I thought was the strangest idea.  maybe they wanted to try and compete with Swiss Army Knives, but the toothpick isn't nearly as good as the one found on Victorinox or Wenger models.

Get the best of both worlds and get the CrossGrip, which is an amazing set of pliers for it's size, and the Squirt S4! :P  If your girlfriend disagrees with you buying more tools, tell her it's Toolology homework from Professor Def!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 07:06:34 PM
How's this for service?  I don't have it posted on the main site yet, and also no pictures yet, but here's the rough draft of my Squirt S4 Review for you, so you can compare them.

Leatherman Squirt S4

Like it’s Squirt brethren the P4 and E4, the Squirt S4 is a very handy, bright tool that functions well beyond it’s size.  It is closely matched to the predecessor of the Squirt line, the Leatehrman Micra in that it’s main tool is a set of very capable scissors.  Despite not being a large tool, the scissors are quite functional, and the handles are very comfortable to use.

The scissors are virtually identical in function to those on the Micra, using the same reliable backspring mechanism and the same length scissors, although the blades have been rounded a bit to keep with the aesthetics of the Squirt series.  Otherwise, they are the same length and the actual business end is virtually identical.  Since I’ve never been a big fan of redesigning features that are perfect the way they are, I consider this continued use of the backsprings and scissor blades to be a good thing.

One improvement over the Micra, despite the S4's brighter exterior and more ergonomic shape, is the outside opening tools.  With the Micra, the scissors had to be opened to access any of the screwdrivers, nail file etc, however the S4's tools can all be accessed without opening the tool.  This is a very handy feature for a keychain tool which more often that not is used for quick jobs that shouldn’t require a trip to the toolbox- basically making a fast, convenient job faster and more convenient!

The small clip pointed blade is identical to the one on the Micra and the other Squirt models and is everything you could hope for in a small blade like this.  It reminds me of the small keychain sized Opinel blades that I was so fond of in my younger days (and still am!)  and is easy to keep razor sharp.  Given it’s slim geometry it manages to cut as well as a larger blade yet is small enough not to draw attention from other folks in the office.

Again improving on the Micra’s design, the S4's nail file has a small ruler printed on the backside.  As the entire implement is only about an inch and a half long, it’s not overly functional, but it’s nice to have as otherwise the back side of the nail file is just wasted space.  It’s a little thing, but again, the one time you need it, you’ll be glad you have it!

The next corner of the S4 has a small bottle opener with integrated screwdriver and a flat, pointed hunk of metal for use on phillips screws.  This section is perhaps my least favourite on the Squirt series in general.  While functional enough, the phillips driver works only marginally better (if that) than a flathead would, and not at all on flathead screws.  I can’t help but think a dedicated flathead or other tool would be more functional.  The flathead on the bottle opener is excellent, but the bottle opener is too small to be really effective.  It works, but you should be prepared to uncrimp a few points on a bottle cap before lifting it off.  Not a big deal, but the opener on the Micra and other keychain tools is more effective.  If you are a big fan of import beers, you may want to look elsewhere. 

The final corner of the S4 has a nice little eyeglass screwdriver, which is very effective.  It’s the same dedicated screwdriver that is found on all three Squirt models, and is very useful, especially with the rising number of small screws the average person is faced with these days in electronic devices as well as glasses!  The other little hidden treasure in the S4 is a set of removable Swiss Army Knife style tweezers.  On the Micra the tweezers were a permanent fixture and the weight of the rest of the tool made fine work awkward with them, but the tweezers found on the S4 are very light and highly functional.  The tips are angled to give you the benefits of both flat and pointed tip tweezers and they slide securely into the slot so you aren’t likely to lose them.

In addition to all of that, the Squirt S4, like all Squirt models has a folding lanyard ring.  This is one of the few places where I think a folding lanyard ring is a good idea.  The Squirt is such a small, rounded tool that it could easily be placed in a purse or pocket, in which case the lanyard ring would be better off folded and out of the way, or it could be attached to a set of keys, where the lanyard ring would be invaluable.

To maximize usefulness of the Squirt series when placed on a keyring, I’d suggest some kind of quick release clip so you aren’t swinging your keys around during use.  I personally use an On/Scene Tactical kydex rig, but anything that allows you to quickly separate and re-secure the tool to your keys or any other carry method is better than trying to use the tool while still attached.

Pros:
•   Bright colors, small size
•   No costly and pointless mechanism re-design
•   Removable tweezers

Cons:
•   Pointless pointed phillips driver
•   Ineffective bottle opener
•   Small ruler- good idea, but virtually useless

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 07:10:27 PM
Actually, if you don't mind not having a knife blade, the best scissors I have come across are the ones on the Gerber Solstice.  This is a discontinued model but is still readily available on ebay.

The Solstice is also a really good option. 

http://www.multitool.org/gerber/keychain-tools/gerber-solstice.html

It's an excellent choice for heavy duty scissors and screwdrivers in a keychain sized tool.  As Benner said though, there's no knife blade, and the bottle opener is functional but not great.  I can't remember what I thought of the can opener, or whether I used it at all.  I don't care for black coated can openers in general though.

Def

Offline preventec47

Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 07:19:48 PM
Def-
I have four images of Crosscut vs Micra side by side and I thought they
were yours from earlier posts but maybe they came from somewhere else. 
I see an image icon for image insertion but  I think it wants a link and
wont let me upload it.
if you send me a direct email I will send the pics direct to you.
Thanks
If the knife blade is no better on the Micra I guess I am thinking the
Crosscut would hold up better to repeated clam shell package openings
and size difference not that big of a deal.
Thanks

my email is   2scott@bellsouth.net

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 07:24:24 PM
Email sent. 

It isn't looking for a link, you have to click "Browse" and find the image on your computer.

They might have been my pictures... I sure take enough of them! :P

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 10:50:23 PM
Here are the pics we were discussing in case anyone wants to see them! 

Some are mine, some were done by Bob (J-Sews) and at least one is from DavidBinGA.  If one of these is yours, speak up!

Def
SOG-cross cut and grip.jpg
* SOG-cross cut and grip.jpg (Filesize: 27.01 KB)
SOG-cross cut and grip2.jpg
* SOG-cross cut and grip2.jpg (Filesize: 27.57 KB)
SOG-cross cut and grip3.jpg
* SOG-cross cut and grip3.jpg (Filesize: 29 KB)
SOG-Crosscut-new and old Tweezers.jpg
* SOG-Crosscut-new and old Tweezers.jpg (Filesize: 22.4 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 09, 2007, 10:51:29 PM
Some more...

Def
SOG-crosscut.jpg
* SOG-crosscut.jpg (Filesize: 36.7 KB)
SOG-Crosscut-vs-Micra1.jpg
* SOG-Crosscut-vs-Micra1.jpg (Filesize: 23.48 KB)

* SOG-Crosscut-vs-Micra2.jpg (Filesize: 24.7 KB)
SOG-Crosscut-vs-Micra4.jpg
* SOG-Crosscut-vs-Micra4.jpg (Filesize: 18.19 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 10:52:37 PM
I'm thinking at least one looks like it's from Stormdrane, judging by that waycool lanyard...

Def

* SOG-Crosscut-vs-Micra3.jpg (Filesize: 31.06 KB)
squirt4022.jpg
* squirt4022.jpg (Filesize: 39.27 KB)
squirts-34.jpg
* squirts-34.jpg (Filesize: 119.73 KB)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: December 10, 2007, 02:25:47 AM
Wow, thats a lotta scissor tool pics!  :o

By the way, don't even consider the Gerber Eclipse. The Gerber Solstice and Gerber Shortcut are worthwhile, but the Eclipse is a piece o' poop (IMO)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 02:29:16 AM
Wow, thats a lotta scissor tool pics!  :o

By the way, don't even consider the Gerber Eclipse. The Gerber Solstice and Gerber Shortcut are worthwhile, but the Eclipse is a piece o' poop (IMO)

(Image removed from quote.)

I've never even seen that before... ???

[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 02:32:32 AM
Trust me, you don't ever want to.  :(

It came out a couple years ago, then seemed to die a merciful death almost immediately. The scissor head was strong enough, but the handles were made from thin aluminum. Very weak. And the so-called blades...don't even get me started  :ahhh
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 09:12:25 PM

Parnass, I see the Micra has your favorite scissors but do you think they are
as capable of cutting heavy stuff like Clam shell plastic ?   For keychain carry
would you see a problem with the teeth on the SOG without the sheath ?
Do you have an opinion on the knife blade on the SOG vs the Micra ?
Thanks
Scott

Yes, the sharp gear teeth on the SOG tools are a problem unless you carry the Crossgrip/Crosscut in a sheath or pouch.  The teeth will stab your leg and tear holes in your pocket.

The Micra, Schrade Tough Chip, and others will make straight cuts in most plastic packaging.  However, I usually employ a huge guillotine-type paper cutter to cut off the package edges.  I have used sheet metal shears and even a Delta stationary band saw to cut thicker packaging open which was too challenging for small multitool-type scissors.

Too, plastic packaging is often surrounded by an offset "frame" of plastic where the front and back sheets are fused together.  It is too hard to cut easily using a small scissors.

I often find a sharp knife to be better than small scissors at making the straight cuts in plastic packages.  When I use a small scissors to cut open plastic packages, my hand is positioned close to the freshly cut edges and they poke or slice open my fingers.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

Offline silentio

Reply #20 on: January 27, 2008, 03:37:47 PM
Does anyone have a picture of the CrossCut, Squirt and Micra together? Want to compare the sizes.

Offline toytoy

The best single purpose Scissors - A CAN OPENER?
Reply #21 on: January 27, 2008, 03:49:46 PM
http://lifehacker.com/software/clever-uses/open-clamshell-packaging-with-a-can-opener-329188.php
"... My home scissors weren't up to cutting the thick plastic, and I had to use my hands after a while. THEN, my eyes fell upon the can opener (a standard rotary one) sitting innocently in the drawer. I used that to open the next blister pack, and man, was that a breeze!"

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #22 on: January 27, 2008, 04:30:51 PM
I have the Shotcut and I got to say that he scizzors on them work better than the Mica. How it kills me to say that they are better, but they are more ergonomic and I seem not to get the dreaded jams when cutting something thicker. 
S

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 10:59:22 PM
can the tools on the crosscut/crossgrip be swapped out for other SOG tools? I would guess not, because most other tools would be too big to fit into the smaller frames.

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 07:04:18 AM
Nope, they can't unfortunately.
[

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 07:41:49 AM
I was used GOG,LM and SAK scissors.
SOG uncomfortable,(for me)
LM micra,squirt much better.
SAK is the best (for me of course)

us Offline asupernothing

• The best way to predict the future is to create it
Reply #26 on: June 16, 2010, 07:03:03 PM
best keychain scissors: leatherman juice s2

DSCF0288.JPG
* DSCF0288.JPG (Filesize: 126.54 KB)
(insert witty quote)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16