Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What issuses do you have with SOG quality control?

us Offline lovenhim

OK I read on here about complaints about Sog quality control.  Do you mean that a Sog Powerlock is a bad tool or does it mean that if something breaks then their customer service and repair stinks?  Please explain.  :) 
When In doubt, C4

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Re: What issuses do you have with SOG quality control?
Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:24:13 PM
I have broken two Powerlocks now. Only multi I have ever broken and I've done it twice with one tool. Granted the second one is not all that bad and totally my fault. That being said, I really don't think their QC is all that much different than LM. And SOG does generally do a good job of standing behind their products, at least in my experience. If they made anything else that appealed to me, I wouldn't NOT buy from them that's for sure. SOG makes decent stuff, and I haven't had a customer service issue (tho I've only contacted them once regarding a broken pocket clip on a knife way back when). So really in 5 SOG products I've owned, I've damaged 3 lol, but one was just a pocket clip, and the recent Powerlock damage is my own stupidity. All in all I think their quality is up to par (better than Gerber in my experience) with customer service that gets zero complaints from me.

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 08:06:51 PM
So what I am gathering is that any multi tool will fail if it is push too hard and if I use my Powerlock within how it was designed then all will be ok them.  In other words they are not junk, you just have to use some common sense.  :)  I really love this SOG that I have, it is smooth, and I love the idea of replaceable tools to make it the tool you want it to be.  It is far smoother than my Wave is.  :) 
When In doubt, C4

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 09:10:14 PM
The ONLY problem I have ever had with my Powerlock is the 1/4" drive did not have the spring when I got it, SOG sent me one quickly.

I've seen some people complain about the fit & finish BUT I see that as the trade off for the replaceable tools

and it seems that no matter which maker you talk about some one on here has a bad opinion of them as I recallone guy even has a problem with SAK rust :ahhh

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 09:15:12 PM
I think this subject has been discussed thoroughly here, lovenhim..: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,20269.0.html  :)

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 09:18:16 PM
Never had a problem with any SOG MT.  

I had problems with LM tools

Victorinox Swisstools I have never had a problem with either.

I still use only 4  SOG's AND a SpydeRench

I would imagine a number of tool failures are because the tool was being used in a manner for which it was not designed!

SOG's are guaranteed for life !

YMMV
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 09:22:57 PM by eodtech »
Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 09:19:42 PM
Thank you for the answers.  I am very happy with my Powerlock.  I just love it.  So just like anything else just use it and emjoy it and as time goes on swap out the tools that I need and also set aside the tools that I do not need.  Thank you all for the help.  
When In doubt, C4

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:46:17 PM
Blade play in the PowerAssist

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 02:23:03 AM
You gotta remember , lots of guys here are experts . this means that they pick up on stuff that a regular user wouldn't care about . A few use plier based Multi's for jobs I wouldn't use a pair of 8" Klien's for .

In the final analysis , it's what works for you .

Chris

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 02:39:21 AM

Yup - that's the only issue I've ever seen with a SOG, and it seems to be more of a design thing than a QC issue in all honesty.

I'm not a great fan of the compound leverage SOGs (I seem to like the whackier SOGs like the Toolclip, Switchplier and Paratool), but the QC seems to be at least on a par with the other big boys in my experience. Buy with confidence!
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 04:08:36 AM

Yup - that's the only issue I've ever seen with a SOG, and it seems to be more of a design thing than a QC issue in all honesty.

I'm not a great fan of the compound leverage SOGs (I seem to like the whackier SOGs like the Toolclip, Switchplier and Paratool), but the QC seems to be at least on a par with the other big boys in my experience. Buy with confidence!

Played with one, I think it's probably home-fixable with a couple of thin phosphor-bronze or even teflon washers from knifekits.  That way you could tighten out some of the blade play and still have the blade open.

That said, I'm thinking of getting a Pocket Plier and customizing the tools for specialized loadout carry.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 01:08:28 PM
A few use plier based Multi's for jobs I wouldn't use a pair of 8" Klien's for .

Chris

Those people really annoys me, they push their multi as hard as they can, and when it breaks they complain like it's the manufacturer's fault that the plier size of a mini needle nose made with SS didn't hold up as well as as their dedicated bolt cutter when cutting through a mile of fence (not on this forum).

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 03:56:53 PM
Glad I'm not alone in feeling that way . I make my living with hand tools , therefore treat them with some respect , and try to use them within the safe envelope .

Chris

Offline grimm_kaosboy

Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 05:33:01 PM
Hey, sorry for a late response Lovenhim but lemme answer the actual first question, others have already answered the heart of it.
You asked what it meant about "bad quality control", if it was a junk product or if there was a problem with getting the tool fixed under warranty. Bad quality control is a product that isn't up to the companies standard, and still making it thru the production lines to be sold.
Put it this way, it would be like buying a new pair of blue jeans and maybe the pant legs weren't hemmed when they should have been. Or a missing button. A zipper that the teeth don't close on. Maybe its a slight color difference because of a bad dye job. Maybe a pocket isn't sewn up all the way...
Whatever the problem, however it was caused, by who/whatever at the end of the production line, there is somebody or a group of somebodies, who are supposed to check the product and make sure everything works, fits, looks, and performs like its supposed to.
T

Offline gnwn

Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 06:01:09 AM
I have one EOD Powerlock (B61) BO with scissor problem, but I love it   ;)
* B61.pdf (Filesize: 39.89 KB)

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 06:14:26 AM
They keep shipping out their products with faulty price tags, usually twice what I can afford. :think: :(
Got those frog legs.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 04:21:24 AM
I had them not ship the right tool once but we all make mistakes. The power assist plier head was too tight. It felt like the cutters were cutting each other. I carry a power lock often and love it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $149.46
PayPal Fees: $8.74
Net Balance: $140.72
Below Goal: $159.28
Site Currency: USD
47%