Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Dual Pro as a Rescue knife ?

Dunc · 13 · 6195

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Victorinox Dual Pro as a Rescue knife ?
on: June 18, 2010, 10:52:49 PM
What are your thoughts on the Dual Pro as a rescue knife ? While I don't think it could be called a dedicated rescue knife I do feel it offers a very good alround package .It allows normal EDC use ( Law allowing ) but with added Rescue features . The curved locking serrated blade was a long time coming but is a most welcome addition and is what transforms this 111mm into a very effective rescue knife .

Heres what Victorinox say about it .....

Victorinox Dual Pro – fast and safe!
When it comes to using multitools, speed is crucial. Being able to help others when they need it most is becoming increasingly important. In military use, when out in the car or when trying to rescue someone in a life-or-death situation – speed and safety are the number one priorities. The new Victorinox Dual Pro can be opened quickly and easily and is ready for use straight away. And besides looking good, the two-component handle in red and black also ensures an excellent grip. All parts and tools have undergone thorough testing. Both blades can be deployed in an instant, can be opened wearing gloves and are suitable for both right-handed and left-handed users. Both one-hand blades and the strong screwdriver (crate opener) are fixed in position when open thanks to the liner lock mechanism. This is the first time that Victorinox has used this mechanism with a special curved blade, which enables the user to cut through belts and ropes safely and quickly.

If this doesn't become one of their best selling models I will be very surprised .

Well done Vic  :tu:

Dunc

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Victorinox Dual Pro as a Rescue knife ?
Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 05:34:12 AM
I agree- to me a military knife has to be designed for one of two purposes.  The first is fighting, which is obviously not what this one is designed for, and the second is dealing with any eventuality that may arise, and you don't have access to the "proper" tool.  In my mind the Dual Pro and it's progenitor, the new DAK fills that role nicely, even more than the OHT/GAK seems to.  The curved rescue blade is a brilliant idea, although I'd really been expecting to see a blade like the Rescue Tool's on it instead of the new designed OH blade.

I'm really quite fond of the Dual Pro.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 10:27:21 AM
Just a quick update , had to use the dual pro to cut a rope in a hurry . Someone moored a boat facing into a very strong tide ( the right thing to do ) but tied the stern rope to the mooring post first  ( the wrong thing to do ) .Because the front ( Bow ) wasnt tied the tide took it through 180 degrees causing it to hit another boat and making the one rope that was tied to the post go so tight something was about to break  :o this could either be the rope , the mooring post or the kleet on the boat to which the rope fastens ,if the kleet gave out first it would go through the air like a bullet and I didnt fancy joining the long list of people who have ended up in hospital or killed by these .The boat weighs about ten tonnes and with a 6 knot tide running there one way by physical effort you can move it . I had to cut the rope .The Dual Pro was quick to deploy and cut through the rope with ease .

I'm quite happy to rely on this knife and certainly gets the thumbs up from me  :tu:

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 09:55:52 PM
It's on my wishlist, inspired by my Fireman which is one of my favorite knives.
SAW

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:07:40 PM
Too bad it isn't legal to carry all the time over here.  :ahhh  :twak:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:56:45 AM
I'm glad it holds up to your action hero lifestyle Dunc :D :tu:  :salute:

:pok: At least you're allowed locks on your every day carry knives.  Be grateful :P
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 09:59:17 AM
I'm glad it holds up to your action hero lifestyle Dunc :D :tu:  :salute:

:pok: At least you're allowed locks on your every day carry knives.  Be grateful :P
:salute: Just too bad that too many outside there just don't know what is allowed to carry and what not. The law is so bad that you are allowed to carry it but someone thinks you are not and takes it away from you and you have to pay a penalty  :ahhh

I would prefer a law that is simple and says clearly what is allowed and what not. And not "if you have an accepted reason you can carry it".  Sounds good, but isn't good at all  :ahhh

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:09:21 PM
I see your point, that must be a real pain to have to contend with :(

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 08:00:03 PM
The thought of having something sentimental siezed permanently by some form of authority irks me... it's not the money replacement value either, it's my broken in knife/MT/SAK that may verywell have been a gift from someone... said utility has been worn in through a time of use on various projects. You get the idea... it just can't be replaced.
SAW

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 10:39:01 AM
Had to cut another boat free in a hurry yesterday .This time I had  very wet hands as it was raining very hard . Those dual scales are fantastic . This knife can do know wrong in my eyes  :drool:

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 01:47:39 AM
locking serrated curved blade and very good grip? sounds like a rescue knife to me, de DP is fantastic  :cheers:
custom swiss army knives

gb Offline Neil

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 01:39:39 AM

Offline RNL

Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 11:59:00 AM
what's more, it offers much better grip than the Victorinox RT, in which the grip is far from sufficient in contact with wet and slippery agents, proven in my rescue knives test.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%