Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Axe man or big chopper

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Axe man or big chopper
Reply #60 on: June 20, 2008, 04:08:57 PM
First up, it's about 165 pounds :)

Secondly, we do have a need for heavy woods tool's due to the fact the even dead, standing wood, will usually be wet, and while I understand your rambo quote, at least as far as I'm concered, a big blade (Kukri in my case) is worth it's weight it gold :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #61 on: June 20, 2008, 05:39:49 PM
First up, it's about 165 pounds :)

Secondly, we do have a need for heavy woods tool's due to the fact the even dead, standing wood, will usually be wet, and while I understand your rambo quote, at least as far as I'm concered, a big blade (Kukri in my case) is worth it's weight it gold :)

Car Camping - driving some sort of vehicle to within an easy walk to camp.  Ideally the campsite would be right beside the vehicle, but a campsite within a few hundred feet of the vehicle still counts as car camping.

Backpacking - every item used for camping must be carried long distances strapped to your aching back while your tender feet cry out for mercy.

Car Camping:
-several multis
-SAKs
-axes
-kukris
-machettes
-big bloody Bowie knives
-anything else that strikes your fancy

Backpacking:
-one SAK
-one light fixed blade (often left behind to save weight)
-one light multi (sometimes left behind to save weight)

N

Reply #62 on: June 20, 2008, 06:32:39 PM
Well I backpack/cycle everywhere, And I still feel that a heavy cutting tool, is a justified weight, as you can use them to make camp equipment instead of carrying them :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #63 on: June 20, 2008, 07:09:15 PM
Well I backpack/cycle everywhere, And I still feel that a heavy cutting tool, is a justified weight, as you can use them to make camp equipment instead of carrying them :)

To each his own.

Packed like that when I was a Boy Scout since lightweight gear wasn't widely available, and what lightweight gear was available was too expensive for Boy Scouts.

We always packed along axes, folding shovels, folding saws, etc. to build fancy fire pits with multiple overhead beams for suspending pots, wooden camp benches, fancy latrines with seats, etc.

Thank God I don't have to camp like that these days.  ;>

N

Reply #64 on: June 20, 2008, 07:11:48 PM
Don't get me wrong I still travel light it's just these day's I know a bit more so I can carry a bit less :D

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #65 on: June 20, 2008, 07:36:40 PM
Don't get me wrong I still travel light it's just these day's I know a bit more so I can carry a bit less :D

That's the ticket for covering long distances.

My Boy Scout packing was rarely more than 5 miles a day, maybe 10 miles at the most.  We were always too weighted down to really make the miles, then we spent hours each day setting up elaborate campsites and cooking.

It was actually more like Pioneering than Backpacking.  But, it was fun learning to build watch towers, bridges, etc. out of rope and available materials.

N

Reply #66 on: June 20, 2008, 07:38:57 PM
I bet it was, once he's old enough I'd like my boy to be in the cubs/scout's :) (even though there not aloud knives any more ::))

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #67 on: June 20, 2008, 07:58:07 PM
I bet it was, once he's old enough I'd like my boy to be in the cubs/scout's :) (even though there not aloud knives any more ::))

Scouting is a great opportunity for a father and son to spend quality time together.  Some of the best memories of my childhood are the Scout trips with my Dad.

Without plenty of adults volunteering their time, the Scouts wouldn't exist.

N

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #68 on: June 21, 2008, 12:46:48 PM

Scouting is a great opportunity for a father and son to spend quality time together.  Some of the best memories of my childhood are the Scout trips with my Dad.

Without plenty of adults volunteering their time, the Scouts wouldn't exist.

yep i aghree with this dude.i was a scout for about 18 yrs,and would be still but i didnt have time anymore due to fact im a family man with lots of job to do,and the only problem with scout organisation to me,ideologically s that hidden christianity forcefeeding.atleast here.im not member of any church,and i didnt do any praying or that bull,so it was better for me to quit.but still id put my kids into scouting for sure and see if they like it.its about only hobby that anyone can afford too,and they dont separate anyway the poor and the rich kids.

Reply #69 on: June 21, 2008, 12:51:20 PM
Plus the fact it's a good excuse to buy them the official boy scout knife :)
http://www.heinnie.com/yapvti507091/Knives/Wenger/Evo-Range/Wenger-Evo-11-Scout/p-92-202-349-1886/

Offline FredKJ

Reply #70 on: June 21, 2008, 03:45:36 PM
I was in Scouts and enjoyed it.  But yes that moral agenda can be a bit heavy.  I think it kind of varies from one troop to the other.  Speaking of father-son bonding I got a great book for my kids, "The Dangerous Book for Kids".  Check it out on Amazon.  You might get a kick out of it.

Reply #71 on: June 21, 2008, 06:38:35 PM
I was in Scouts and enjoyed it.  But yes that moral agenda can be a bit heavy.  I think it kind of varies from one troop to the other.  Speaking of father-son bonding I got a great book for my kids, "The Dangerous Book for Kids".  Check it out on Amazon.  You might get a kick out of it.
Yep I've had that book for a couple now mate, it's great isn't it :)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #72 on: June 21, 2008, 09:56:22 PM
I was in Scouts and enjoyed it.  But yes that moral agenda can be a bit heavy.  I think it kind of varies from one troop to the other.

Personally, I don't object to Boy Scouts stressing basic honesty and moral behavior.

The Government schools generally fail to instill any sort of morals in boys.  Except maybe "honesty is for suckers" and "nice guys finish last" and "its a dog-eat-dog world."

As for the Christian aspects of Scouting, that will vary greatly from Troop to Troop even in the same local Council.

There are Scouts all over the world reflecting whatever the local religions may be:  Hindu, Bahai, Buddhist, etc.

My Troop was based at a Protestant church, but we had Catholic, Jewish, Unitarian, and agnostic scouts.

N

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #73 on: June 24, 2008, 06:37:03 PM

As for the Christian aspects of Scouting, that will vary greatly from Troop to Troop even in the same local Council.

There are Scouts all over the world reflecting whatever the local religions may be:  Hindu, Bahai, Buddhist, etc.

My Troop was based at a Protestant church, but we had Catholic, Jewish, Unitarian, and agnostic scouts.

It certainly does vary.  My Boy Scout troop was based at a VFW post.  There were lots of lessons in honesty and morality, but not so much religion.  I never really thought about that--if there had been that religious influence, I probably would not have stayed around nearly as long as I did, as I am an agnostic.
- Terry

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #74 on: June 24, 2008, 10:05:20 PM
yep i too appreciate the things u can learn there about moral and honesty and brotherhood.we just had so much religious lessons and atmosphere that i had to leave it.i dont believe that they would loose any members by giving uop the religion classes away.its still like itsy bitsy brainwashing to me.im almost against to any religion but mostly those that use it to create terror and war against another.but i like our anciant myths and traditional beliefs that are close to wiking religion.well...anyone can believe and worship what they please,if they dont force others to do so and no one,not even animals gets killed in name of any god.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #75 on: June 24, 2008, 10:35:05 PM

It certainly does vary.  My Boy Scout troop was based at a VFW post.  There were lots of lessons in honesty and morality, but not so much religion.  I never really thought about that--if there had been that religious influence, I probably would not have stayed around nearly as long as I did, as I am an agnostic.

IMHO, the function of religion in Scouting is similar to the function of religion in Alcoholics Anonymous.

Longtime AA members will tell you how important it is that they acknowledge the existence of some Power beyond our mundane human existence.

The details of whatever religion is involved aren't that important, just the acceptance that there exists some Higher Power.  Acceptance of a Higher Power helps to curb human arrogance and wantoness, and serves as a basic foundation for morality.

N

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #76 on: June 25, 2008, 02:40:14 AM
yep i respect that opinion too,its everymans freedom of choise and thats the way it should be.
i just happen to think there aint no higher powers,no fate.theres just you and what u choose to do and what u agree to do,and choises u cant make yourself if youre lookin at the barrel of a gun,physically or mentally.i dont believe a word in 2000 yrs old book but hey if u do,im not the hater.i may be intrested of things u arent,and i may have my own code of honour,and u have your own and that aint no problem,we just have to get along without  big conflicts.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #77 on: June 25, 2008, 10:24:44 AM
yep i respect that opinion too,its everymans freedom of choise and thats the way it should be.
i just happen to think there aint no higher powers,no fate.theres just you and what u choose to do and what u agree to do,and choises u cant make yourself if youre lookin at the barrel of a gun,physically or mentally.i dont believe a word in 2000 yrs old book but hey if u do,im not the hater.i may be intrested of things u arent,and i may have my own code of honour,and u have your own and that aint no problem,we just have to get along without  big conflicts.

I think avoiding arguments is for sissies and you're all wrong about everything  :D

Nah, you kids are cool, even if you do carry stupid little red knives.

Anyway, I've always been of the Ash Williams School of Bushcraft.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #78 on: June 25, 2008, 06:44:29 PM
i dont dodge a fight,no sir but i dont drive my self into them on purpose  :D
and i Dont carry red pocket knives.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #79 on: June 25, 2008, 09:08:53 PM

IMHO, the function of religion in Scouting is similar to the function of religion in Alcoholics Anonymous.

Longtime AA members will tell you how important it is that they acknowledge the existence of some Power beyond our mundane human existence.

The details of whatever religion is involved aren't that important, just the acceptance that there exists some Higher Power.  Acceptance of a Higher Power helps to curb human arrogance and wantoness, and serves as a basic foundation for morality.

IMHO that is the function of religion period, not just the function in Boy Scouts.  IMHO (again) The Boy Scouts should be a place for learning, not to help kids "change direction", as in AA.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 09:10:33 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #80 on: June 25, 2008, 09:56:40 PM

IMHO that is the function of religion period, not just the function in Boy Scouts.  IMHO (again) The Boy Scouts should be a place for learning, not to help kids "change direction", as in AA.

IMHO that is A function of religion - not necessarily the primary function or the most important function.  I'm pretty much agnostic myself, so I doubt that it'd be worthwhile to veer off into a detailed discussion of religion here.

Unfortunately, nowadays many boys who enter Scouting do need a change of direction.

Many boys have no father present in their lives and some have never even met their fathers.  Many have had little or no consistent training in basic morality, honesty, and respect for others.  Boy Scouts can change some of these boys lives - some, not all.

N

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #81 on: June 25, 2008, 09:59:04 PM
"Unfortunately, nowadays many boys who enter Scouting do need a change of direction.

Many boys have no father present in their lives and some have never even met their fathers.  Many have had little or no consistent training in basic morality, honesty, and respect for others.  Boy Scouts can change some of these boys lives - some, not all."

yes,i think youre spot-on about that.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #82 on: June 25, 2008, 10:43:16 PM
My point was more that I don't agree with the comparison of religion in AA to that of Boy Scouts, as not all of the boys need a change in moral direction.  There are many ways to teach morals to children that do not involve the use of religion.

That is all I will say on the subject.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:52:23 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #83 on: June 27, 2008, 12:08:56 AM
"Unfortunately, nowadays many boys who enter Scouting do need a change of direction.

Many boys have no father present in their lives and some have never even met their fathers.  Many have had little or no consistent training in basic morality, honesty, and respect for others.  Boy Scouts can change some of these boys lives - some, not all."

I don't see why you have to lump those of us who knew & had fathers in the "moral, honest & respectful" camp,

We're perfectly capable of being utterly indecent human beings!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #84 on: June 27, 2008, 12:17:12 AM

I don't see why you have to lump those of us who knew & had fathers in the "moral, honest & respectful" camp,

We're perfectly capable of being utterly indecent human beings!

I didn't lump anyone into the "moral, honest & respectful" camp - that's a faulty inference on your part.

I'm completely willing to regard you as an "utterly indecent human being" whatever the status of your relationship with your father.  ;>

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD