Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

One-hand trekker

us Offline lovenhim

One-hand trekker
on: June 21, 2010, 10:58:48 PM
Hello everyone.  I was looking around the Swiss Army website, and I have a question.  Is the One-hand trekker the civilian version of the 2009 New Soldier?  The only difference being the plain vs serrated blade?  

Yep it looks like they are the same knife with different main blade.  :) 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 11:18:18 PM by lovenhim »
When In doubt, C4

us Offline ari6126

• No Life Club
  • Colors!
Re: One-hand trekker
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 11:44:12 PM
They actually both have combo edges. So besides the scales, toothpick and tweezers, they are identical.

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:16:15 AM
I would like to add that the OHT is a super great SAK and a must have.
SAW

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:16:26 AM
I thought the OHT was a plain blade and the Soldier had the serrated blade.  I am curious because for my use I prefer the plain blade, so I would be willing to trade my soldier for the OHT.
When In doubt, C4

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 02:19:55 AM
You can get a plain bladed OHT, but the standard one comes with the part serrated blade just like the Soldier.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:20:00 AM
I thought the OHT was a plain blade and the Soldier had the serrated blade.  I am curious because for my use I prefer the plain blade, so I would be willing to trade my soldier for the OHT.
The OHT comes serrated or non-serrated.
SAW

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 03:28:16 AM
The One Handed Trekker is actually the civilian version of the One Handed German Army Knife, which debuted in 2003.

OH GAK

OHT, 2003

OHT, 2007

(NOTE:  Different opening hole and lock shape)

2008 OH Soldier

2009 OH Soldier

Any questions?  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline lovenhim

Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 04:30:48 AM
Thank you for the pics.  Nope, no more questions.  Hang on a sec, sorry, yes another question, for the sake of learning, what steel is the blade of the soldier made from?  I do not see what info on the SAK site.  :) 
When In doubt, C4

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:35:40 AM
oo nice oh beauties :D, give the combo edge a chance lovenhim, its very handy fo some dutys.

:cheers:
custom swiss army knives

ru Offline Katran73

Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 06:48:19 AM
...what steel is the blade of the soldier made from?  I do not see what info on the SAK site.  :)  

"For both blades we use chrome molydenum stainless steel with 0.52% carbon, 15% chromium, 0.5% molydenum, 0.45% manganese and 0.6% silicium. After a sophisticated hardening process at 1040°C and an annealing temperature of 160°C the blades achieve a hardness of RC 56. * The woodsaw, scissors and nail files have a hardness of RC 53, the screwdriver, tin opener and awl a hardness of RC 52, and the corkscrew and springs RC 49. * The metal saw and file, in addition to the special case hardening, are also subjected to a hard chromium plating process so that iron and steel can also be filed und cut."

Look here: SOSAKOnline FAQ's.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:52:30 AM by Katran73 »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 06:09:38 PM
Thank you for the pics.  Nope, no more questions.  Hang on a sec, sorry, yes another question, for the sake of learning, what steel is the blade of the soldier made from?  I do not see what info on the SAK site.  :)  

Here's a few more variants of the Trekker model:

Trekker Variants

I have added a couple more since then, and I'm working on a few more too.

It's actually kind of funny looking back on the OHT article that I had published in Tactical Knives a couple of years ago when I only had like 6 or 8 variants!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ru Offline Katran73

Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 07:56:53 PM

Trekker Variants

It is necessary to notice that some variants of Trekker in large quantities were not issued, but only small series by Swissbianco, Scibeer etc.

Tell me, please, there is somewhere an acknowledgement to that updating (restyling) of Victorinox liner-lock models has occurred in 2007, instead of in 2008? (Link to... , scan, page, document etc.)

E.g. "The Presentation" of Victorinox New Soldier has occurred 8 sept 2008, you can see the screenshot of official page here: http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/64/568575-s13805607.html
I have saved copy of this page (html).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 08:16:47 PM by Katran73 »

00 Offline Mate

Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 08:38:06 PM
The OHT and its variants are MUST HAVE  !  :D Great edc knives  :cheers:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 10:41:19 PM

Trekker Variants

It is necessary to notice that some variants of Trekker in large quantities were not issued, but only small series by Swissbianco, Scibeer etc.

Tell me, please, there is somewhere an acknowledgement to that updating (restyling) of Victorinox liner-lock models has occurred in 2007, instead of in 2008? (Link to... , scan, page, document etc.)

E.g. "The Presentation" of Victorinox New Soldier has occurred 8 sept 2008, you can see the screenshot of official page here: http://talks.guns.ru/forummessage/64/568575-s13805607.html
I have saved copy of this page (html).

Documentation, no.  However, I can say that I had the new variants long before the New Soldier was introduced.  It had been speculated on, and if I recall correctly I said long ago it would be another OHT variant, but at the time of the redesign, Wenger was still in the running with one of their New Ranger models.

Here is a link to the first look I had of the 2007 variant, dated December 2007, which means it was written at least in November 2007 at some point:

New and Old OHT Comparison

The last paragraph supports what I'd said above:

With the recent hubub about the Swiss Military Contract being opened up to all manufacturers worldwide, and the concern that there may be a foreign, low quality knife issued to the troops, the redesign of the OHT seems to lend credence to my theory that we will see some kind of OHT variation being the new issue knife in the near future.  Only time will tell for sure, but I’d be willing to put money on this one!

Furthermore, the new style OHT had been out for at least a month before I got it from Felinevet, which is where/how I get most of my SAKs, and due to the mail from the US resulting in a couple of week delay on any new products, I would guess that the 2007 style was likely released in the end of summer or the beginning of autumn at the latest.

Def

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 01:34:50 AM
wow DEF thats a shame : 2007 style Knife that Doesn't Exist  i would love to have one of those imaginary OHT  :-[ :drool: :drool: :drool:
custom swiss army knives

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #15 on: June 23, 2010, 02:22:12 AM
wow DEF thats a shame : 2007 style Knife that Doesn't Exist  i would love to have one of those imaginary OHT  :-[ :drool: :drool: :drool:

You know, I still don't quite know what to make of that 2007 DE OHT; was it a mod or something?  :think:

ru Offline Katran73

Reply #16 on: June 23, 2010, 06:43:16 AM

Here is a link to the first look I had of the 2007 variant, dated December 2007, which means it was written at least in November 2007 at some point...

Def

Def, thanks for your link and comment.

I didn't speak just about the new Soldier, it was only the example.

Why there was a question - restyled models, including new GAK 0.8461.MW4DE have appeared in catalogue Victorinox after the beginning of 2008 and I thought that their mass production has been begun in the beginning of 2008.

Now I know that it has occurred in the end of 2007.

Thanks, again.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: June 23, 2010, 02:07:59 PM

You know, I still don't quite know what to make of that 2007 DE OHT; was it a mod or something?  :think:

I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about- there's no knife like it out there...... it doesn't exist, remember?  :D

Katran, I have followed the One Handed Trekker very closely over the last few years, and I've become almost a speSmurfpillst in the various models and versions.  I would say that I know it better than I know most other SAKs, so I like it when OHT discussions come up and I get to appear smart!  :D

Def

ru Offline Katran73

Reply #18 on: June 23, 2010, 06:11:34 PM
It's very well. :tu:
By the way, I'm more familiar with them as Victorinox 0.8463.M3 Trailmaster & 111-th GAK 0.8461.M04DE before the beginning of 2008, and as Trailmaster 0.8463.MW3 & GAK 0.8461.MW4DE after restyling. ;)

*(Vic Trekker in the North America = Vic Trailmaster in Europe and others)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 06:16:57 PM by Katran73 »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: June 23, 2010, 09:02:26 PM
Yup- they changed it to Trekker here as Cold Steel already had issued a knife called the Trailmaster:

As you can see, they are very similar knives  ::) so Vic had to change the name for the North American market.  There were concerns initially about using the name "Trekker" but these guys didn't put up much of a fight on that point.

:D

Def

pr Offline jatrias

Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 12:00:41 AM
Speaking of OHT , what is the story behind this one? The title of the youtube video is :Victorinox TrailMaster Special Black Has anyone seen a complete Black Oxide VICTORINOX before?

Later, everyone! ;)

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 01:43:12 AM

I'm afraid I don't know what you are talking about- there's no knife like it out there...... it doesn't exist, remember?  :D

Def

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :rofl:
custom swiss army knives

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 02:55:27 AM

Def

:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :rofl:

Somehow I knew it was coming, but my brain still hurts. :P

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 03:52:01 AM
Speaking of OHT , what is the story behind this one? The title of the youtube video is :Victorinox TrailMaster Special Black Has anyone seen a complete Black Oxide VICTORINOX before?

Later, everyone! ;)

Nope- I have some with black blades, but not all black.  Wenger produced an all black model, but I can't recall the name or other details off the top of my head.

Def

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 04:35:37 AM
woww thats nice a black oht, the wenger one is called blackout veeeeeery expensive  :ahhh :ahhh
custom swiss army knives

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 08:17:13 PM
Yup- they changed it to Trekker here as Cold Steel already had issued a knife called the Trailmaster:

(Image removed from quote.)

As you can see, they are very similar knives  ::) so Vic had to change the name for the North American market. 

Def

Oddly a similar clash of names didn't stop Cold Steel coming out with a knife called the Spartan. :think:  I do love a good double standard. ::)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 11:54:16 PM
Don't forget that Cold Steel also tried to issue some SAK copies about 10-12 years ago.  They were listed in their Special Projects catalogue and called "Swiss Steel" and were for folks who wanted high performance knives but didn't want to take a chance on getting their "pricey" Swiss knives dirty or lost.  I don't think they ever materialized though, as I have never seen them, nor do I know anyone who has ever encountered them.  I think they were priced between $6.99 and 15.99 US at the time.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%