Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How many use a MAC?

us Offline eodtech

• No Life Club
  • Rule #9 - Never go anywhere without a knife.
How many use a MAC?
on: October 06, 2006, 05:05:28 AM
After fighting PC's for 25 + years I moved to a Mac Powerbook G4 laptop a year ago ..... best move I ever made. Now ( since March '06 ) , they run on an Intel chip so  they can run Windows and Apple / MAC software on the same machine.  Before you say " but they are more expensive " the newer models are in line with a PC and in most cases less expensive + soooooo much easier to use  without having to worry about a virus and spyware.

Why do I carry a 45 ?
Because they don't make a 46 !

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: How many use a MAC?
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 05:11:11 AM

I abandoned Windows about 6 years ago.  I use Linux.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 11:46:30 AM
I'm not smart enough to use either...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ar Offline mcniac

• Administrator
  • Don't Panic!
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 05:50:39 PM
Linux RULES!!!!
i have been using it in work and home since 5 or 6 years ago
i only use windows ocacionally to play some game (if i cannot make it work under wine)

macs are nice, but i prefer a GPL OS like linux.

Esteban

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 09:36:54 PM
My Windows mouse has like 5 buttons and a wheel.  A Mac has one button.  I can't figure that out at all...

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 10:44:39 PM
I just started using one a few weeks ago. Love it so far.

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2006, 04:03:55 AM
Hate windows...but I have too many programs that won't run in Linux...I am entraped by the Gate(s)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 04:14:28 AM
                       :D                           :D                          :D                        :D                         :D                          :D                           :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 10:24:58 AM
My Windows mouse has like 5 buttons and a wheel.  A Mac has one button.  I can't figure that out at all...
The secret is pressing various keyboard keys to activate other mouse functions. It's brilliant.

Anyway, the question I have to ask myself now is "Do I want a Macbook Pro or a Macbook Air?"

Macs arn't perfect, but they have their pluses, you just have to...adapt.

Offline Levi

• What just happened?
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 11:22:37 AM

Anyway, the question I have to ask myself now is "Do I want a Macbook Pro or a Macbook Air?"

Easy one;

- Do you have an iMac/Mac Pro at home?
 - How much and of what nature is the work you do away from home?

If you already have a Mac at home then the MacBook Air is an option; if you don't, it's not. If you do a lot of work on-the-road you might want the extra horsepower/storage/connectivity/optical drive of the MacBook Pro. If you don't do much traveling, but still need a laptop when you do, then the MacBook Air is perfect unless you work with Digital Video or other high-demanding work.
I

Offline toytoy

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 07:07:53 PM
If you use your Mac for some serious business and you have confidential business data in your HD, MacBook Air may not be for you. The battery in MBA is not serviceable by user. You have to go to an Apple store or send it to Apple to replace it. You may encrypt the files, but ...

Let's say you're a medical doctor or a lawyer and you have other people's confidential info in your HD and you just send your MBA to someone to change the battery, your patients or clients may be very unhappy. With or without encryption!

I had been a Mac user for more than a decade. I have owned IIsi, Quadra 900, PPC 6100, 7200, Radius 81/110 and a scratch-built PPC 604 (board and CPU daughterboard purchased 2nd hand and powersupply modified from ATX by a friend, I built the case using a cheap PC case). Never have a Steve Jobs Mac (neither 128K nor iMac). Now I am using a dirt cheap Compaq Presario laptop.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 07:50:06 PM
Since I have pocket lint and have a bottle of Gin to my name, I'll doubt I'll really be getting either.

I can't even afford a new silicon sheet for my current macbook!  :ahhh

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 09:39:09 PM
http://www.macheadsthemovie.com/?page_id=2

I am perhaps ashamed to say I do business with the guy who says "Australia" amongst all the other country representatives of Mac Lovers. (in between New Zealand and Canada, you have to be fast to see it!)

Also: Notice the hairy fat guy in a kilt and the steve shirt?

No, it's not me, but I'm afraid one day it might be! (I just need a steve T-shirt)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%