Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Future developments / models of the Skeletool / Freestyle...

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
What do people see leatherman doing in the future with the skeletool? In what directions do you think leatherman will take it? How do you think the freestyle will differ from the skeletool?

And of course, what would you like the answer to be to the above questions?

Personally I am not going to consider purchasing one of these tools until an all titanium version is available. So I do hope LM produce at least one such model of the skeletool or freestyle. I would also like to see some sort of ratcheting bit driver working its way into one of the higher end models.

Offline joebw

Re: Future developments / models of the Skeletool / Freestyle...
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 07:46:28 PM
Hi,

I expect you'll not see an all titanium verson.  Titanium probably won't be a very good blade material.

Joe

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 09:01:10 PM
I am sorry I did not clarify my meaning, I mean all titanium frame, not the blade, which I suspect might be S30V steel on the most expensive models such as a Ti version.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 10:53:02 PM
I can see there models becoming more job specific as time goes by, ie more allen key's and less screwdrivers perhaps?

Maybe more high tech steel for the wow factor :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 12:57:13 AM
I think the emphasis should continue to be on minimal tools/minimal weight. Pliers, knife blade, screwdriver, nothing else. A pocket clip so no sheath is needed. Okay to keep the carabiner on some models, but please offer at least one version without it. Then, within those guidelines, okay to offer basic all-stainless models along with high-end titanium/carbon fiber/super knife models.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline gadgetman7

Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 03:04:28 AM
I would like to see one without the carbineer and a folding bit holder. I too think they should keep it minimal but maybe add more options for the bit holder like an awl or saw blade if the handle could store them.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 05:49:04 AM
I'd like to see the saw/file-exchanger from the Surge imported to the Freestyle but moved to a three blade system with knife/saw/file.

Multi-tool companies really need to make different minimalists tools geared towards certain users (me) who want a pocket tools with the "other big 3."

If you're going to go different, really go different.

Offline trickknife

• Deputy Dog
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 06:30:45 AM
They always seem to come out with the high end ones with a few middle range ones.  They haven't ever come out with a Higher end tool after their first release.     O0  My bet is that the Freestyle will be the Kmart version of the Skeletool with basic steel (no S30V or 154cm).    :-\  Another thing, they don't tend to come out with variations of their tools after the first release, so the Freestyle won't likely be much different than Skeletool unless maybe they add colored aluminum to the handle.   :cheers:  I agree that the Titanium handle would kick butt though.  I'd love to have that.   :multi:  It would feel very light.  I hope I'm wrong about the Freestyle.  My wife would say that is a very likely possibility.   :P
-

Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 11:32:56 AM
I think the emphasis should continue to be on minimal tools/minimal weight. Pliers, knife blade, screwdriver, nothing else. A pocket clip so no sheath is needed. Okay to keep the carabiner on some models, but please offer at least one version without it. Then, within those guidelines, okay to offer basic all-stainless models along with high-end titanium/carbon fiber/super knife models.
Im a bit of a noob were the newer leatherman;'s are concerned, but don't they already do minimal models with the Fuse and the kick plus some of the juice models ???

I stand to be corrected obviously :)

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 11:48:53 AM
In that case you can consider the skeletool to be 'ultra-minimalist'

Basically they say their research has shown that the most often used tools are the knife, pliers and bit driver. So they decided to make a tool based around just those three to attract people who might not like the concept of carrying around lots of tools on a multitool which they do not use, but which adds to the bulk and size of the tool, as well as wrecking its aesthetic appeal.

In doing so LM have created quite a stylish looking tool, and have added a carabineer which has the benefit of hiding the bit driver (which doesn't fold, and so uses a locking mechanism to hold in its bits) when the tool is closed, and can be used as a bottle opener.

Oh, and it has a pocket clip.

Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 11:54:55 AM
In that case you can consider the skeletool to be 'ultra-minimalist'

Basically they say their research has shown that the most often used tools are the knife, pliers and bit driver. So they decided to make a tool based around just those three to attract people who might not like the concept of carrying around lots of tools on a multitool which they do not use, but which adds to the bulk and size of the tool, as well as wrecking its aesthetic appeal.

In doing so LM have created quite a stylish looking tool, and have added a carabineer which has the benefit of hiding the bit driver (which doesn't fold, and so uses a locking mechanism to hold in its bits) when the tool is closed, and can be used as a bottle opener.

Oh, and it has a pocket clip.
Thanks for the quick reply mate, I like the look of the skeletool, but for me personally i prefere to have a multi more loaded with tool's, saw, file ect ect.

If I'm going for a more minimal tool I'll just grab one of my sak's ;)

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 07:00:55 AM
I'm really interesting in the minimal styling of the Skeletool... that is, if the pliers are worth a crap.  The other two "minimal" tools I have (Xtract and Paradox) both fall short of my expectations when it comes to the pliers.  If LM can put a decent set of useable pliers on the Skeletool, I think I'm going to like it!
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 07:10:43 AM
I guess it hadn't occurred to me, but my new Zilla-Tool has the same "big three" tools as the Skeletool: pliers, knife, and bit driver.

But for some reason I just cannot consider a tool that is almost 7" long as "minimalist."  :P
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%