Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My new EDC Victorinox compact

John · 22 · 10900

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
My new EDC Victorinox compact
on: June 28, 2010, 08:33:40 PM
 :tu:

After some thought I decided to get a compact for EDC + Neil had one going cheap BNIB(that's the real reason  ;) ) anyway it arrived today and I love it  :D

Firstly I did want a true yeoman but looking into that option I found they're as rare hens teeth,and when they come up for sale they seem to fetch the same as Gold gram for gram  :ahhh  :ahhh.

Most online vendors list the compact as a 14 tooled Sak in fact it............... :oops:

[edit]Sorry guys watching footie ATM copy paste misake   :D I'll return AM the morrow  >:(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:23:09 PM by John »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: My new EDC Victorinox compact
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 10:30:19 PM
The Compact is indeed a fine sak :tu:

Even better with a saw blade though :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

de Offline Jmora

Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 11:19:35 PM
the compact is great, can't believe I never really noticed it before.
I find the combi cap lifter isn't quite so good as the dedicated one on the normal tools, other posters disagree though on other threads. Maybe I need time to get used to it.

ni-ulster Offline cerbera147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 11:44:51 PM
I got my Vic Compact from Neil too  :tu:

It was my first SAK. I looked at what I wanted and didn't duplicate too much with my Leathermans and the Compact fits the bill  :climber:

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 12:40:36 PM
After some thought I decided to get a compact for EDC + Neil had one going cheap BNIB(that's the real reason  ;) ) anyway it arrived today and I love it  :D

Firstly I did want a true yeoman but looking into that option I found they're as rare hens teeth,and when they come up for sale they seem to fetch the same as Gold gram for gram  :ahhh  :ahhh.

Most online vendors list the compact as a 14 tooled Sak in fact it turns out to be a 15 tooled SAK,as most don't mention the file on the back of the hook  ::)

For the main tools you get a large blade,scissors,como tool i.e can opener,screwdriver,bottle opener and wire bender(hmm! why do some keep saying wire stripper  :think:) which all work very well(tested)  :tu:

On the back layer tools you get: corkscrew,multi purpose hook(includes file/match striker) eye glass mini screwdriver and keyring(yes it qualifies as a tool because you need a tool to attach a tool  :think: ) that said why don't they use one piece SS liner which incorporates both :think: please don't tell me..........  :ahhh to save weight! mate lol

Scaled tools you get a: pen,tweezer,toothpick and pin,so with the compact you get a good assortment of tools some would say ah! but it lack a saw true! but for me  find I don't need it for general EDC.That said if I was going on a trip I would most likely carry more than one SAK and one would definitely incorporate a saw.Another option (though expensive) would be to mod a saw into the compact but then it wouldn't be compact as you'll be adding a layer hmm! food for thought.

Onto some pictures  :tu:

All tools fanned out,oh! I tested the can opener and for me it works surprisingly well.

At only 15mm thick the compact will fit anywhere,mine's residing in my BUW EDC(not shown here) set up.

A close up of the hook file,sorry for the picture quality,done on my phone ;)
the file is grooved and I used it successfully to repair a chipped nail,love it  :D

I really like the compact and if your looking for a de-cluttered SAK put this on your list,you will not be disappointed  :tu:

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 12:43:44 PM
The Compact is indeed a fine sak :tu:

Even better with a saw blade though :D

Hey Mike do you have one with a saw layer? if yes pics please :pok: :pok:  :D

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 01:50:05 PM
Glad you're getting on with it John :tu: 

Its been said before but I still wonder why they don't include the nail file on all the models with hook :think:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 01:57:43 PM

Its been said before but I still wonder why they don't include the nail file on all the models with hook :think:

Yeah it comes in handy Neil also why not make the lanyard one piece liner :think:

de Offline Turnstone

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 01:59:29 PM
I never cared about the compact, but I didn't realize it comes with the pen and a file on the hook. Now I guess I need one some day  :drool:

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 02:04:52 PM

Yeah it comes in handy Neil also why not make the lanyard one piece liner :think:

Ease of manufacture I suppose :think:  Don't know really.
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 04:14:15 PM
Re: Lanyard

On some of the older Vics, the lanyard hole is located on a liner.  I have seen a few where the hole was badly twisted up, so perhaps putting it on the spring, decreases warranty claims.

Re: Compact

Love them.  Add a clock and you have a Timekeeper.   :tu:

spam Offline John

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 04:25:00 PM
Thanks for that Mr whippy  :cheers:  makes perfect sense   :tu:

id Offline falkautsar

• New User
  • SAK Lover from Indonesia
Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 11:20:18 AM
Just Got My Compact, Loving it as an Urban EDC, If i do field work it's the perfect compliment for my Swisstool Spirit :multi: :multi:

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 12:10:12 PM
The Compact is a great tool, indeed. I have two. And I almost play with the thought on getting new scales on at least one of them. :D

Well, but what I really miss on the Compact is the small blade. A tool that I use the most on any SAKs. But the two layer option with the scissors is a fine and slim EDC carry anyways.

BTW:  :worthless:

You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 12:15:38 PM
Love my Compact... and it's my most used edc... but it lacks so much... no screwdrivers.. at all, no awl and worst of it no prybar...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 03:09:26 AM
Love my Compact... and it's my most used edc... but it lacks so much... no screwdrivers.. at all, no awl and worst of it no prybar...

Agreed Corwyn, on using as an EDC!   :cheers:     But I don't agree that combo tool doesn't work as a screwdriver...I use mine all the time.  But I agree that the combo isn't a prybar...but I don't do heavy prying with most of my SAKs so as not to wreck them.

After modding one of my eBay Compact purchases, I'm finding the right balance for my EDC...I swapped the C/S for a Phillips and replaced the worthless hook with an awl.  I attached pictures of the mod when I was testing it out with red scales and now finished with yellow scales. 
CompactMod5.jpg
* CompactMod5.jpg (Filesize: 151.2 KB)
Compact&Strata_1.jpg
* Compact&Strata_1.jpg (Filesize: 133.68 KB)
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 03:23:39 AM
Good piece of kit , you won't be disappointed !

Chris

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 04:13:24 AM
Nice mods!!
Barry

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 10:09:17 AM

Agreed Corwyn, on using as an EDC!   :cheers:     But I don't agree that combo tool doesn't work as a screwdriver...I use mine all the time.  But I agree that the combo isn't a prybar...but I don't do heavy prying with most of my SAKs so as not to wreck them.

After modding one of my eBay Compact purchases, I'm finding the right balance for my EDC...I swapped the C/S for a Phillips and replaced the worthless hook with an awl.  I attached pictures of the mod when I was testing it out with red scales and now finished with yellow scales.

Awesome mod.
Didn't know the awl can replace the hook.

Regarding the prying bit... meh... I tore apart a whole two meter Cantilever rack with 18 arms just using my Tinker... the thing is stronger than you might expect...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 04:24:03 PM

Nice mod strmliner. I also have a Compact. But I just curious, isn't the awl slightly thinner than the hook? Is it fit in there precisely?
-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 18, 2016, 04:37:13 AM

Nice mod strmliner. I also have a Compact. But I just curious, isn't the awl slightly thinner than the hook? Is it fit in there precisely?

It's no so much that the awl a thinner tool, but more about where the pivot hole is located...the pivot area of the tool isn't big enough to tension the scissor spring properly.  It has stumped me.

I went ahead and kept the mod; not sure that I liked the reduced snap in the scissors.  Now after carrying it for 2-3 months, I don't notice it at all.  Though before I do another, I'm going to work on the issue.  Otherwise I'm really happy with this tool combination...I find I'm carrying this almost all the time.  My older Golfers (84mm and 91mm) do a lot more sitting at home than they ever have.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2016, 05:44:00 AM
I should try one of those Compact's especially for the winter months when I wear jeans as I hate anything bulky in my pocket which is more than two layers unless it is on a suspension clip and I don't like to always have a suspension clip sak on me.

I will see what they go for and if not too high, I might get me one to try out.  I really like the ones with black plus scales over the red ones though!  :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%