Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

You folks seem to know your stuff about bikes...

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
You folks seem to know your stuff about bikes...
on: June 28, 2010, 09:53:03 PM
So maybe you can help me out here? I'm looking for a bike that I can ride every day for 2+ hours a day (so that means comfort is huge). I mainly (80% of the time) ride on sidewalks or roads, but I do go on grass or dirt occasionally. I also would appreciate the ability to ride on dirt bike trails, but that's not as important. The bike should be able to be ridden 5+ miles comfortably, and should be reasonably priced (under 400 dollars? around that price? I'm not a millionaire, I'm a 16 year old working minimum wage). I've always ridden department-store 100 dollar mountain bikes like every other kid, but I'm sick and tired of that garbage. I want a serious bike that matches it's uses and won't break down on me.  :cheers: and  :salute:

Mark

Oh by the way, I'm a huge guy. 6'1" and 237 lbs.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:55:59 PM by markn951 »

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Re: You folks seem to know your stuff about bikes...
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:56:13 PM
Most bike shops have a used section where you can get a very nice bike for abouthalf of what a new one would cost.  Giant is a good brand to look at so is Novara (REI's house brand).

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 09:56:53 PM
Most bike shops have a used section where you can get a very nice bike for abouthalf of what a new one would cost.  Giant is a good brand to look at so is Novara (REI's house brand).

REI is usually extremely overpriced but I will take a look  :tu:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 10:06:12 PM
I generally favored randonier type bikes for longer rides , ive had a few touring bikes but prefer a slightly lighter set up,a good mountain bike is ok with more road type tires, slimmer tires are better for all round cycling, i use very fat off road tires on my MTB and its hard going on tarmac, i love my randonier bike for longer road rides and general day to day rides,i have a rear alloy rack with 1 pannier, 2 bottle cages for long hauls and full proper mudguards, a must , 

paul

http://www.veloweb.ca/randopages/randovelos.html

the old workhorse,  :D

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 10:33:59 PM
I'd go with a Tourer too :)

Why not get a second hand, steel framed one like a Dawes Galaxy, as you'll get a lot more bicycle for your money, and a more comfortable ride to boot :)

Failing that, a hybrid with lock out front suspension should handle most jobs :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 11:11:41 PM
Mike, any clue where to check out one of those?

Paul, any specific make or model I should look at? Or are you saying I should get more road-worthy tires for my current MTB?

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2010, 11:46:08 PM
Might check out craigslist in your area. Fantastic deals abound there.

I'm a big guy too 6'5  250lb and find that cromoly frames just feel better on longer rides. Trek 930, 950 and 970 are double or triple butted for weight/strenght ratios and can be found on ebay/craigslist for cheap too.

Bontrager Specialized and Cannondale make fine clydesdale friendly bikes that can take a beating.

for tyres you can try some continental town and country --good for pavement and modest fine grade trails
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2010, 11:54:48 PM

I'm a big guy too 6'5  250lb and find that cromoly frames just feel better on longer rides. Trek 930, 950 and 970 are double or triple butted for weight/strenght ratios and can be found on ebay/craigslist for cheap too.

Bontrager Specialized and Cannondale make fine clydesdale friendly bikes that can take a beating.

for tyres you can try some continental town and country --good for pavement and modest fine grade trails

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/continental-town-and-country ?
I was also looking at http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/geax-street-runner-tire because their quite a bit more wallet-friendly :P

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 07:01:29 AM

Raleigh make some nice tourers and you should be able to get them in the U.S  :tu:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/touring/product/pioneer-venture-gt-18898

I was also looking at http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/geax-street-runner-tire because their quite a bit more wallet-friendly :P

i like continental tires as have tried lots over the years, but both look good, the dawes super galaxy as mike said is a great bike not sure if you can get them in the states ? cannondale make some lovely light weight tourers in ali ,

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 07:02:21 AM

I'm a big guy too 6'5  250lb and find that cromoly frames just feel better on longer rides. Trek 930, 950 and 970 are double or triple butted for weight/strenght ratios and can be found on ebay/craigslist for cheap too.

Raleigh make some nice tourers and you should be able to get them in the U.S  :tu:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/touring/product/pioneer-venture-gt-18898

i like continental tires as have tried lots over the years, but both look good, the dawes super galaxy as mike said is a great bike not sure if you can get them in the states ? cannondale make some lovely light weight tourers in ali ,

Raleigh make some nice tourers,

Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 07:59:09 AM
I'm more of a Schwalbe tyre man :)

And yeah I'd be scanning ebay and the craiglist for bikes mate :)

1980's 10spd audax/racer/tourer's are a real bargain :) There only real fault is the piss poor brakes, but you can remedy that easily enough :tu:

Check out these forum's for ideas...

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?181-Classic-amp-Vintage

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?47-Touring

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian

us Offline Pacu

Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 05:07:40 PM
trek 930 posting looks good :drool:

Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 06:06:58 PM
The Fuji I believe is a woman's bike, which is a shame as it's gorgeous :drool:

The Trek with more road oriented tyres should be great though :tu:

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 06:13:15 PM
It's basically already gone. I called the guy and he said theres been a huge amount of interest, he has 3 people coming TODAY for it, plus, I don't have that kind of money at this moment. I was sort of looking speculatively, because I'll be able to buy it, probably in a month or two :\

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 07:43:48 PM
http://hartford.craigslist.org/bik/1817325519.html

I'm about to jump on this one. I called the guy and got him down to 100, its in pretty good condition (although I have to see it in person first) apparently he just spent a couple hundred on tune ups and new tires just last year... I told him I would probably be able to come down in a week or two...

Also, I would want to replace the tires right? The wheel is 26 x 2.0, but most of the tires I find are 26 x 1.9, or 1.95, or 2.1, etc. How close is close enough?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:35:33 PM by markn951 »

Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 10:36:03 PM
I can't see a picture, but Rockhopper's are generally known for being pretty bulletproof :tu:

Give it a good test, and if your happy with it, bite his hand off mate, and spent the rest of the budget on thing's to make the bike more yours :)

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 10:41:28 PM
Thanks Mike! Surprisingly (I mean I am pretty shocked!) my dad is totally OK with it, and is taking me to see the guy tomorrow morning. If I have any extra money left or if my brother decides I deserve a birthday present this year, I will probably look into new tires... What else can you buy for a bike?

Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 10:45:18 PM
The list is endless mate :D

Pretty much everything can be upgraded or replaced :)

Just make sure the bikes a good fit for you or you'll never bond with it :)

us Offline Pacu

Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 06:36:39 AM
Thanks Mike! Surprisingly (I mean I am pretty shocked!) my dad is totally OK with it, and is taking me to see the guy tomorrow morning. If I have any extra money left or if my brother decides I deserve a birthday present this year, I will probably look into new tires... What else can you buy for a bike?

brooks saddle, ritchey pedals or eggbeaters, camelback, helmet..always a helmet, cyclometer, rollers for that rainy day, cool jersey,

or forget all the junk (besides helmet) and just ride as a cycling purist...it's about the ride not who has the newest titanium shiny stuff

although that shiny stuff is very tempting ::) :D

Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 09:20:22 AM
Just got a Brooks B67 (roads are crap where I live) so I can definitely recommend them :tu:

us Offline markn951

• I'm actually Canadian
Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 05:12:31 PM

brooks saddle, ritchey pedals or eggbeaters, camelback, helmet..always a helmet, cyclometer, rollers for that rainy day, cool jersey,

or forget all the junk (besides helmet) and just ride as a cycling purist...it's about the ride not who has the newest titanium shiny stuff

although that shiny stuff is very tempting ::) :D

Keep in mind I wasn't able to get the bike and that I'm currently riding a 200 dollar Target bike... one seat costs more than the bike did!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 05:18:13 PM by markn951 »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD