Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Assembled in USA but Manufactured in China? or Where?

18jms · 109 · 33032

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: SOG Assembled in USA but Manufactured in China? or Where?
Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 04:46:04 PM
So what you guys are saying then is that if a company like Leatherman charges $150 retail for a Charge TTi and has it made in Taiwan, as long as the quality is good its ok?

Yes
As long as the quality's good, and the worker's aren't abused then I'm fine with it :)

Of course I buy Swiss so there are no ethical issues :)

(Image removed from quote.)
http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=345&Itemid=35
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 05:05:13 PM
That's a bit selective though isn't it? If you want to look at a nations ethics you should really consider the whole piece:

http://history1900s.about.com/library/holocaust/aa072397.htm

Now, don't get me wrong - every country has some skeletons in the closet (not least of all our own), but maybe the Swiss are maybe not the wonderful neutral, peace loving nation they like to portray themselves as when you look more closely......

Sorry to hijack the thread and all that, probably wasn't really appropriate but your stirred my mental juices :P
I used to come here a lot.

Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 06:44:04 PM
I'm wasn't really thinking of Swiss past misdeeds, more that they treat both there workers and the planet fairly :)

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #33 on: July 09, 2010, 06:55:06 PM
I'm wasn't really thinking of Swiss past misdeeds, more that they treat both there workers and the planet fairly :)

So you're ok with an alox farmer being made in Taiwan at the same current retail as the Swiss one?
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

Reply #34 on: July 09, 2010, 07:07:28 PM

So you're ok with an alox farmer being made in Taiwan at the same current retail as the Swiss one?
As long as the same consideration was placed on worker's conditions and the environment, yes :)

Market forces are what they are, so there's very little point bemoaning where a product's made imo :)

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #35 on: July 09, 2010, 07:10:27 PM

As long as the same consideration was placed on worker's conditions and the environment, yes :)

Market forces are what they are, so there's very little point bemoaning where a product's made imo :)

Agreed, though I would again add the caveat that I would expect the same quality as the Swiss made Farmer, though that's probably an obvious point to make.

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: July 09, 2010, 07:11:03 PM

I don't know about about you, but I hate seeing my country being sold piece by piece. BTW, these are just my opinions on the subject which I'm entitled to last time I checked, with all do respect of course.  :D

Reply #37 on: July 09, 2010, 07:11:36 PM

Agreed, though I would again add the caveat that I would expect the same quality as the Swiss made Farmer, though that's probably an obvious point to make.
Same here :tu:

Reply #38 on: July 09, 2010, 07:12:52 PM

I don't know about about you, but I hate seeing my country being sold piece by piece. BTW, these are just my opinions on the subject which I'm entitled to last time I checked, with all do respect of course.  :D
Well we've no real manufacturing base to protect, so I suppose it's easier for us to make the leap to buying foreign products :)

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #39 on: July 09, 2010, 07:14:21 PM

I don't know about about you, but I hate seeing my country being sold piece by piece. BTW, these are just my opinions on the subject which I'm entitled to last time I checked, with all do respect of course.  :D
Well we've no real manufacturing base to protect, so I suppose it's easier for us to make the leap to buying foreign products :)
yeah you lot outsorced to us over a 100 years ago :D

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: July 09, 2010, 07:16:42 PM

Fair enough, and I totally understand your position.  The thing is, I'm Canadian - even if I buy a US-made knife or multi, I'm still buying foreign, and there aren't any large scale knife manufacturers in Canada (that I'm aware of, anyways).

Reply #41 on: July 09, 2010, 07:21:10 PM

Fair enough, and I totally understand your position.  The thing is, I'm Canadian - even if I buy a US-made knife or multi, I'm still buying foreign, and there aren't any large scale knife manufacturers in Canada (that I'm aware of, anyways).
Grohmann are pretty big, and they make fantastic knives (I have a No1 and no4) :)

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 07:24:39 PM

I do see your point too.  :tu:  What really bugs me is that we're getting suckered into thinking its ok for a product to be made for $5 and retailed for $150. I'm totally sick of it and I'm going to fight back even if that means I buy everything used from now on.  :P

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 09, 2010, 07:26:45 PM

I do see your point too.  :tu:  What really bugs me is that we're getting suckered into thinking its ok for a product to be made for $5 and retailed for $150. I'm totally sick of it and I'm going to fight back even if that means I buy everything used from now on.  :P

Truth be told, if you do purchase quality items used, and take care of them, when it comes time for you to sell the items, you should be able to recover most of your money - or, if they become classics, you'll be able to make a profit off of the item. :)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 07:30:54 PM

I don't know about about you, but I hate seeing my country being sold piece by piece. BTW, these are just my opinions on the subject which I'm entitled to last time I checked, with all do respect of course.  :D

TBH I don't think we actually buy much American made product as a nation (other than Pepsi and Coke :D), but I could be wrong.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #45 on: July 09, 2010, 08:45:18 PM
I've bought quite a few US made multis ;) :D
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #46 on: July 09, 2010, 09:20:14 PM
I'm quite prepared to pay more for quality, but if I can get that quality cheaper, then I will!

I used to come here a lot.

us Offline yud

• No Life Club
  • Still has a SOGgy feeling
Reply #47 on: July 09, 2010, 10:24:45 PM

manufacturing base to protect, so I suppose it's easier for us to make the leap to buying foreign products :)
Well we've no real

TBH I don't think we actually buy much American made product as a nation (other than Pepsi and Coke :D), but I could be wrong.
I was more talking historicly the world's big manufacturing base move from the UK to the US, I forget when the shift happend but it did

Just another weirdo with a beard :B:

Knight of the SOSAK and Defender of the sacred nail file

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #48 on: July 10, 2010, 08:47:32 AM

Half the world's good's are made in CHINA, so what's your point exactly?

Fixed that for you  :angel:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #49 on: July 10, 2010, 10:51:38 AM
I've bought quite a few US made multis ;) :D

Well I admit that we here in this site have invested quite a bit on American products, but I'm pretty certain we're not totally representative of the average Brit. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: July 10, 2010, 04:18:43 PM
Getting back to the topic of this thread:
To be clear, I've got no prejudice about where a product is made. BUT, I've come to expect that if a company makes their products in the USA, they are targeting folks who demand a higher level of quality and are willing to pay more for it. I consider myself to fall into this category. On the other hand, when a company outsources their manufacturing to Asia, it seems that they then place less emphasis on the quality of their products and more on maximizing profits. :P So while I have nothing against those countries or their people, it does sadden me to see companies like SOG shift their production overseas. :( It usually signals a change in company values, and I can cite numerous examples if you'd like.

Let's just hope that even though SOG tools will no longer be made in the USA, they will not lower their high standards of quality.

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: July 10, 2010, 06:23:25 PM
Getting back to the topic of this thread:
To be clear, I've got no prejudice about where a product is made. BUT, I've come to expect that if a company makes their products in the USA, they are targeting folks who demand a higher level of quality and are willing to pay more for it. I consider myself to fall into this category. On the other hand, when a company outsources their manufacturing to Asia, it seems that they then place less emphasis on the quality of their products and more on maximizing profits. :P So while I have nothing against those countries or their people, it does sadden me to see companies like SOG shift their production overseas. :( It usually signals a change in company values, and I can cite numerous examples if you'd like.

Let's just hope that even though SOG tools will no longer be made in the USA, they will not lower their high standards of quality.

Like I said before, they have to figure out a way to pay "Gunny".  :D

us Offline Pacu

Reply #52 on: July 10, 2010, 07:54:40 PM
looks like chinese workers are seeing the light when it comes to fair wages.

http://www.news.com.au/business/chinese-workers-demand-fairer-share-pay-rises/story-e6frfm1i-1225876780392
:like:    :MTO:

Offline Multitaskertools

Reply #53 on: July 10, 2010, 08:22:59 PM
looks like chinese workers are seeing the light when it comes to fair wages.

http://www.news.com.au/business/chinese-workers-demand-fairer-share-pay-rises/story-e6frfm1i-1225876780392

it's window dressing, at a few high profile foreign joint-venture firms

still are literally MILLIONS of workers from the countryside willing to work for the same wages they have been earning

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #54 on: July 11, 2010, 12:08:33 AM
At least SOG aren't shy about it..  :)

Micro ToolClip - Black
Overall Length 3.75"
Weight 3 oz.
Edge Straight
Handle Zytel
Country of Origin China
Price $20.00 

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 12:47:35 AM

Micro ToolClip - Black
Overall Length 3.75"
Weight 3 oz.
Edge Straight
Handle Zytel
Country of Origin China
Price $20.00 

That is my point exactly.  :tu: A ToolClip for $20 is a great retail for a tool that is made in China. If the quality is there, I don't have a problem with it. Now if that tool cost $50 and was made in China I wouldn't be happy. Make sense?  :think:

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: July 11, 2010, 03:55:54 AM

Micro ToolClip - Black
Overall Length 3.75"
Weight 3 oz.
Edge Straight
Handle Zytel
Country of Origin China
Price $20.00 

That is my point exactly.  :tu: A ToolClip for $20 is a great retail for a tool that is made in China. If the quality is there, I don't have a problem with it. Now if that tool cost $50 and was made in China I wouldn't be happy. Make sense?  :think:

Thats what I'm talking about,
if SOG bowie made in Japan/USA and cost $300 its OK for me (but its overpriced,again)
but if it made in Taiwan and cost $300  >:( :o .......,no,thank you......:salute:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:03:48 AM by CumminsDiesel »

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: July 11, 2010, 03:59:33 AM
If you have a choice to buy SOG Bowie,made in Taiwan,$300 or Busse Combat Knife (for example) made in USA for around the same price,which one you choose?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:08:49 AM by CumminsDiesel »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #58 on: July 11, 2010, 05:52:50 AM
Find me a busse for $300 and I'll choose it.  :pok:

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #59 on: July 11, 2010, 06:41:49 AM
If you have a choice to buy SOG Bowie,made in Taiwan,$300 or Busse Combat Knife (for example) made in USA for around the same price,which one you choose?

Whichever one fit my needs better.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD