Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Mandatory SMALL Blade for Camping

us Offline ACHË

The Mandatory SMALL Blade for Camping
on: July 14, 2010, 07:44:22 AM
**this is a portion from another thread I started in another forum and I thought some here might find it useful too**

Ok.. so the SMALL Blade is not mandatory....

I know many choose to use only one blade when on camping, hiking & expedition trips.
That bunch may not see much use in this post; but for those that carry more than one blade; often times taking a small knife or SAK for the more delicate camp & trail chores. I see many people choosing a folding knife for this role...

I don't...... And I'll tell you why......

As much a neat/clean freak as I have always been, every folder that goes outdoors with me, comes back filled with food, dirt, water and even insects(attracted to the food).

I've learned to very much prefer using a small skeletonized fixed blade.

I only own two small fixed blades for these tasks, but any similar blade will do. Brand will matter very little given the light duty nature of the work these blades get. My users are:

ESEE Izula............................... Becker BK11

The small blade gets used often for many tasks that may or may not go well together; like cutting wet dirty paracord and then food. Later maybe gut a fish, then cut food again. It may get dropped, put on the floor, buried in guts and stuck in the mud a dozen times before it cooks and cuts your dinner.  :-X

Having a blade that is nothing but a stamped piece of steel with no nooks & crannies where food, guts & mud can get packed in to rot, I find to be a huge PLUS.

A blade that one can wipe clean to eat with and if need be dip in boiling water when it gets filty is a definite advantage in my book.

When you get home.... A quick rinse under the hot water tap and a quick wipe down with mineral oil to me is much more convenient than getting the torx bit set out and disassembling the knife.

Plus - A fixed blade if needed (however unlikely this may be), can do things that the average folder is not good at, like splitting, prying and other grunt tasks.

So to sum it up:

1. Easy to clean in the field - Takes very little effort, time & resources to get it "food prep clean".
2. Easy to clean at home - Hot water tap & mineral oil  BOOM you're done.
3. Tougher than a folder - Unlikely to be needed but still an added capability.
4. Improved Longevity - The ability to get moisture & chemicals* off your blade on the spot will make most blades except the higher end stainless super steels last longer.

* Sometimes semi-stainless steels will stain with odd things. I have one knife with an 8Cr13MOV blade that stained with small brown dots from leaving the blade wet a few minutes with apple cider after cutting an apple. :shrug:

For those looking to prepare their first outdoor loadout, I hope this helps.
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: The Mandatory SMALL Blade for Camping
Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 07:46:40 AM
Couldn't agree more mate :tu:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Swiss Man

• No Life Club
  • WIFE APPROVED
Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 02:16:46 AM
Couldn't agree more mate :tu:

I never really thought about those points but that is good sage advice. :tu: :tu:

ca Offline Stirling3749

Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:02:30 PM
Good thread man.

I've always gone with a folder as my #2 knife, usually a combination blade for quickly cutting a rope or something and always 1 handed opening and locking.

Honestly a light fixed blade knife would be better for all the reasons you mentioned, I'd still use a combination edge though for the utility.
I tend to beat up the #2 allot more than the #1 (my #1 is a Cold Steel Bushman knife and the #3 backup/emergency blade is in whichever multi tool i'm packing).

Warning to anyone considering a fixed blade in a survival situation: You will have to find some other method for collecting insects.

ca Offline Shane769

• No Life Club
  • Gone Climbing.
Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 08:02:59 AM
Good advice, I like simple things in the backcountry. Personally a one knife kind of guy though. Backup is nice, but carry one knife on your person, however you choose, and as long as you keep your clothes, even without your backpack, you can survive.
 :tu:
"I would rather live 40 years of excitement and fun and exhilarating and just WOOOO, full volume, then 80 years of la di di di da... you know... boring. Why not get out there and live it?!"

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%