Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another Mythbuster sighting

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Another Mythbuster sighting
on: July 15, 2010, 05:23:46 AM
I just got the Mythbuster Collection 5 DVD.  I'm watching the Alaska Special 1 episode, where Jamie & Adam are put to the"cabin fever" test.  Adam, to maintain his sanity, makes a werly-gig out of a wire coat hanger.  And he uses his LM Charge to cut and bend the wire hanger!!! :multi:

PS-during this test, the person in the yeti costume, was a nice touch :tu:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline sergemaster

• No Life Club
Re: Another Mythbuster sighting
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 10:26:50 PM
That episode was on last night ironically on the Discovery channel, and I also saw cabin Adam using his Charge in all its fevered glory..

Cheers,
Serge
'I will NOT be threatened by a walking Meatloaf!!' - D. Kessler

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 12:12:46 AM
I just got the Mythbuster Collection 5 DVD.  I'm watching the Alaska Special 1 episode, where Jamie & Adam are put to the"cabin fever" test.  Adam, to maintain his sanity, makes a werly-gig out of a wire coat hanger.  And he uses his LM Charge to cut and bend the wire hanger!!!

That was probably the second take. ;) On the first take he tried using a Gerber 600 :D :D

Quote from: MultiMat
(Image removed from quote.)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 12:22:25 AM
I just got the Mythbuster Collection 5 DVD.  I'm watching the Alaska Special 1 episode, where Jamie & Adam are put to the"cabin fever" test.  Adam, to maintain his sanity, makes a werly-gig out of a wire coat hanger.  And he uses his LM Charge to cut and bend the wire hanger!!!

That was probably the second take. ;) On the first take he tried using a Gerber 600 :D :D

Looka like it can be replaced by the LM's wire 124cm wire cutters :)
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:21:39 AM
Forgive my ignorance. BUT!  How do you shatter tungsten carbide? :think:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 02:46:03 AM
Tungsten carbide is hard as Hell, but it's also brittle.  If you try to cut some hardened wire that's hard enough, I will shatter, especially if there's a fault in it somewhere.

Just like ceramics- you can cut steel with ceramic, but drop a ceramic blade in the sink and the very soft stainless will shatter the blade like it was nothing.

It reminds me of a story I read years ago.  Knifemaker Kevin "Mad Dog" McClung manufactured a ceramic tactical type knife in the late 90's or so.  While eating lunch with a writer for a knife magazine and showing off the ceramic blade, he inadvertently caught the waiter's attention.  The waiter asked what it was, and when Mad Dog told him it was ceramic, the waiter scoffed and insisted it wouldn't be able to cut anything.  Mad Dog casually picked up the fork off the table and calmly started whittling with the ceramic blade!

Initially I wasn't so certain that would work, as I assumed that even a stainless used in tableware would provide too much resistance to be able to "carve" it away with just hand strength alone, but when I got a nice ceramic Boker chef's knife a couple of years later, I tried it, and it actually worked!  I'd hate to try and actually carve anything specific like that, but it worked.  I was amazed.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 03:55:17 AM

That would be cool Duckster but I doubt Leatherman's parts would fit in my Gerber 600  :( :( :D :D :D.
BTW I was cutting a coat hanger to make a loop on a fern I was hanging. The Gerber had cut the same wire the day before no problems but I think the cutters were either weakened or it was the shock that occurred when the  wire broke  :think: :think:.
Still have not got around to getting some replacement cutters , $15-$20us + postage is too much for me  :( :( :(.I have been trying to snag a cheap Gerber to use as parts :think: :think:.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 07:37:40 AM

That would be cool Duckster but I doubt Leatherman's parts would fit in my Gerber 600  :( :( :D :D :D.
BTW I was cutting a coat hanger to make a loop on a fern I was hanging. The Gerber had cut the same wire the day before no problems but I think the cutters were either weakened or it was the shock that occurred when the  wire broke  :think: :think:.
Still have not got around to getting some replacement cutters , $15-$20us + postage is too much for me  :( :( :(.I have been trying to snag a cheap Gerber to use as parts :think: :think:.
They look the same shape and size though  :think:
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline Viper

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 05:55:02 AM
You sure it was a Charge? Usually Adam has an old style Wave.
[

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 10:42:36 PM
You sure it was a Charge? Usually Adam has an old style Wave.

In a very brief email exchange I had with him on the subject, Adam said he used a Charge.  He also said he had a tendency to break blades on his MTs.  And he took a good shot at Jamie's then use of SOG MTs.  (Maybe all that razzing is why Jamie seems to be using Swisstools now?   :D)

I posted his answer here a good while back.  I'll have to go look for it...
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $81.95
PayPal Fees: $4.26
Net Balance: $77.69
Below Goal: $222.31
Site Currency: USD