Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheaths

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Sheaths
on: October 07, 2006, 11:27:21 PM
To me, a tool is only as good as it's sheath- after all if the sheath is uncomfortable, poorly designed or flimsy then I am not likely to have the tool handy when I need it

Victorinox makes a really good nylon sheath, although I don;t like that they are no longer using snaps.  I don't have a leather Victorinox multitool leather sheath but I have many regular SAK sheaths in leather and they are all top quality.

Leatherman also made really good sheaths back in the day.  The leather sheaths that came with the PST, PST II and original SuperTool were all thick, heavy leather and solid as a rock.  The sheaths they seem to be coming out with nowadays appears to be a different story altogether.  The imitation sheaths that come with the Kick, Blast and Fuse for example isn't IMHO worthy of the Leatherman name.  The cordura sheath that came with my Surge is decent quality but I find that the tool gets "hung up" on the extra pocket for the saw blades when I try to put it away.  Not a big fan of that either.  The sheath on the old Wave (dunno what the new one is like) is quite nice too.  It's a little fancier than the original sheaths, and not quite as heavy leather, but it is comfortable and fits the tool well.  The leather Juice is pretty nice too, with elastic sides to accomodate the various sized tools.  I wish they had used that design when making the Fuse, Kick and Blase sheaths...

SOG also makes a nice heavy duty leather sheath, similar to the old Leatherman tools.  I have three PowerLocks and they all have the same brown leather sheath that looks and feels like you could easily carry a Panzer in them.  Of course, the PowerLock is indeed almost as heavy as a Panzer, so that should go without saying!  The sheath for the ParaTool is also pretty nice.  It's compact, fits the tool well and as an added bonus, can be worn horizontally or vertically on your belt.  The SwitchPlier's cordura sheath is also pretty nice with the plactis clip on the back.  It is easy to put on and take off, and holds securely when worn.

Sheaths from Gerber and Wenger seem to have been made in the same place.  They are useable, fit the tools reasonably well, and are sturdy enough to do the job they need to, but don't seem to really stand out in any way other than that.  They are adequate but nothing to write home about.

Any sheaths in particular jump out at anyone else?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Re: Sheaths
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 12:14:58 AM
I am particular about sheaths, too.   It's a shame for a manufacturer to make a good multitool, knife, or flashlight, then sell it in a shabby sheath.

Lately, I have been buying USA-made BBC brand (Big Bag Company) cordura sheaths at an army/navy/surplus store.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 12:34:15 AM
I can't find any info on those... can you post any pics or more information?  I have been looking at some of the sheaths at www.niteize.com but there used to be a site that made some pretty cool sheaths for a multi and flashlight but I'll be darned if I can remember what it was...

I recently got a LM Crunch from a KF member and it didn't have a sheath.  I sent Eric at On Scene Tactical an e-mail and now my Crunch is on it's way to Ontario for a sweet kydex rig.

I also got another Kick (gave my last one to a friend) which is also sheath-less so I asked my good buddy Esteban to make me a nice leather affair for it.  I don;t know which one I am more excited to see!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 02:10:26 AM
I've just started looking into sheaths.  I've always hated having things on my belt.  That is, until I starting using horizontal carry sheaths.

Any ideas as to what multitools come with sheaths that can be carried horizontal?
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: October 08, 2006, 02:46:37 AM
The only ones I know of are the SOG Paratool and the Leatherman Surge.  More of Leatherman's current lineup might be set up that way but I am not certain.

Of course, both Esteban and Eric both make excellent sheaths to order, so it's really not a big concern that the tool comes with a horizontal sheath since you can easily get a good sheath made.

Def

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 05:15:55 AM
Big Bag Company (BBC) doesn't seem to have its own web site.  But, I found what look like BBC cordura belt cases sold at http://bagdepot.com

See their knife pouches here:

http://bagdepot.com/security/security_duty_gear_4.htm

and their gadget cases here:

http://bagdepot.com/security/security_duty_gear_5.htm

I think the pouch I have (shown in the 3 photos here) is the 3 inch wide X-tra Wide Knife Pouch SC-156: http://bagdepot.com/security_final/sc3/sc_156.htm
A SwissTool will probably fit in a narrower (2.5 inch) pouch (SC-151), but I wanted the extra space to carry a shortened mechanical pencil.

I have 3 different size Nite Ize Pock-Its belt cases.  I sometimes wear the Mini Pock-Its on my belt which holds a larger multitool (e.g., SOG PowerLock, SwissTool, or SuperTool) and a pen.  I don't like to carry both a flashlight and a multitool in the same Pock-Its simultaneously due to the weight.

A Leatherman Crunch, LED-ized Mini MagLite, an adjustable wrench, and a 4.5 inch Channellock pliers reside in a Clip Pock-Its XL in my back pack.
bbc1.jpg
* bbc1.jpg (Filesize: 63.17 KB)
bbc2.jpg
* bbc2.jpg (Filesize: 66.78 KB)
bbc3.jpg
* bbc3.jpg (Filesize: 60.45 KB)

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 08:48:00 AM
I've just started looking into sheaths.  I've always hated having things on my belt.  That is, until I starting using horizontal carry sheaths.

Any ideas as to what multitools come with sheaths that can be carried horizontal?

I have a New Wave leather sheath and a Charge nylon and both can be carried horizontal. 
"

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #7 on: October 09, 2006, 05:24:48 AM
Hey Defender that wouldn't have been ripoffs with the clip on sheaths would it?
Unfortunately they have closed their doors.  The Reeline Company went out of business.
If you can find their sheaths get them while you can when there gone there all gone.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: October 09, 2006, 05:27:05 AM
Ripoffs sounds familiar.  It very well could be them.  It's too bad if they've gone under.  They had a pretty good selection of pouches to fit a variety of tools and lights.  I knew I should have gotten one while I had the chance.
Def

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #9 on: October 09, 2006, 03:36:06 PM
I wish more knife/tool companies offered horizontal carry sheaths, when you get older you gain a little weight and having that tool poking you in your side isn't cool, some sheaths do hand down a further bit so they don't do that but ones like the powerlock and some leathermans ride too high, course then I have the Swisstool CS Plus that is so heavy it pulls on my pants, but its not poking me though! hehe

DavidBinGA

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: October 09, 2006, 03:39:04 PM
You callin me fat?  Where did I put that BAN button...

:P

Actually, despite my spare tire I still prefer the vertical carry, but I agree that it's nice to have the option.

Def

us Offline Fred

• I'm the one they call Dr FeelGood
Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 05:23:28 PM
I use vertical carry too, but downward cause my spare tire keeps hiding the top of the sheath!
Yabba dabba doo!

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #12 on: December 17, 2006, 09:27:08 PM
I was diggin thru some drawers and boxes looking for stuff to send in a care package to a friend in Iraq when I came across my old Hohner harmonica in it's sheath.  I've probably had this 20 years, never learned to play it.  But anyhoo, I gave my Vic Spirit a try inside, and it fits like it was made for it.  The way the belt loop is made, it's attached by a rivet, so the sheath hangs down from the belt, no digging into the old love handles.  I may send him the harmonica, but the sheath is staying here.  ;)

us Online David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #13 on: December 17, 2006, 10:40:46 PM
When it comes to sheaths I can be picky too; the ones I like are:

Leatherman Wave (original)
SOG Paratool
SOG Switchplier
Vic Swisstool/Spirit

Ones that are ok:

Gerbers...they hang low so they don't dig into your side but they have too much play in the strap

New Leatherman...don't know about the cordura but the leather is ok, I don't like the elastic sides but ohh well, they do have the option of horizontal carry though

Speaking of Powerlock.....think I am having a SOG frenzy lately, got me wanting a switchplier  :)

David

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2006, 10:51:25 PM
Funny, I was just thinking of buying a harmonica!

Maybe I could get Eric to make me matching SwissTool/Hohner kydex rigs!

Def

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 06:06:22 AM
Def , I agree with you on the new Leatherman sheaths . The old nylon sheaths were made by Bianchi , and were good quality .

I use a lot of Mag pouches , Blackhawk , Eagle , Soe , Maxpedition , Spec Ops etc . make a lot of sizes and configs .

Tad gear carries some really great product , well worth a visit to their site .

The whole thing is a pita , and effects the cost of a multitool , when you have to factor in the cost of an aftermarket pouch .

Leather is nice , and is very long lasting , but requires some maintenance .

Kydex can scratch furniature , and other substrate .

Chris

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #16 on: December 18, 2006, 04:57:13 PM
Another vote for horizontal carry.

My SwissTool X nylon sheath can be carried either horizontally or vertically.  I like horizontal carry for work.  The tool laying along the line of my belt doesn't seem to draw attention when I am wearing a tie.

The side-poking thing isn't really an issue for me, but that is eliminated too.

Offline Steel Blade

Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 01:19:13 AM
I often carry my Spirit in my old Wave leather pouch. I find the ratchet set a bit heavy for edc and  there is a lot of screwdriver options on the Spirit tool itself.

It is a nice leather pouch and I find that  I will grab the Spirit more often when I don't have the bulk of the big Vic  pouch.

Regards

Steel Blade
Y

Offline Burkc

Sheaths
Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 02:25:32 AM
I am going to bring this one to the top becasue I have been looking into GOOD sheaths lately. I am like some of you, I love a good leather case. I am a horseman and team roper and I love the feel of the good thick heavy oiled harness leather. Soft and supple yet strong as an OX.

Here is my complaint. I have had several Leatherman tools and most came with the standard leather case, which, IMO is not even really leather. It is BONDED, as they call it in the horse industry English bridle leather. We always joke when we see that term and look at each other and say BONDED.

Anyway I know I have always got good use out of these cases but always wondered why such a good tool has a bonded leather case?

Any opinions one way or the other?

BurkC

* standardleather.jpg (Filesize: 35.81 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 02:33:56 AM

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 02:41:09 AM
I don't like those new Leatherman sheaths either, and will never wear one as long as I have my old Mag leather sheath that fits 90% of tools (and a Mag Lite).

I assume these inferior sheaths came out to keep the cost down in the end :P
[

Offline Burkc

Reply #21 on: December 02, 2007, 02:42:27 AM
Def, was the sheath you reviewed FAKE leather or was it the bonded leather I was talking about. The "funny" thing about the bonded leather is that it allows the makers to write "genuine leather" on it and not be lying.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 02:46:12 AM by Burkc »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: December 02, 2007, 03:01:30 AM
I'm pretty certain it was bonded leather, but I'm no pro.  It smelled like leather but felt more like cardboard.

Def

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #23 on: December 02, 2007, 03:06:47 AM
They feel and look like leather scraps that were pressed and glued together...kind of like how they make plywood.
[

Offline tomcrx

Reply #24 on: December 02, 2007, 03:09:05 AM
This may sound unconventional but I don't like sheaths. I tend to carry tools in my jacket pockets. When it gets warmer I just carry smaller tools with pocket clips

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 02, 2007, 03:18:37 AM
This may sound unconventional but I don't like sheaths. I tend to carry tools in my jacket pockets. When it gets warmer I just carry smaller tools with pocket clips
Your not alone. I don't like sheaths that much either. The horizontal LM Charge and Wave ones aren't that bad. But I like to use pocket clips.
"

Offline Burkc

Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 03:42:12 AM
I guess since I usually carry it in my backpack it really isn't that big of a deal, but it still urks me. :-\

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 04:42:39 AM
Speaking of sheaths, on one if my Maxxim flashlights it has a sheath that fits the surge very well and does not go to high on belt. Ill post a pic later!
B

us Offline Splat

Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 07:20:07 PM
The easy way to accomplish a horizontal-carry is to get a clip-on belt loop/mount, such as Bianchi uses on their products, and simply clip it onto the belt loop on your vertical-carry sheath. Boom!, you've got a horizontal-carry. I've been doing this with my Vic Spirit for months now and it's never fell out/off.  Knifekits.com sells a similar mount but you'd have to figure a way to secure it to the loop of your vertical-carry sheath:  http://tinyurl.com/3aze26 

I really like Bianchi's metal clip because I can secure it to a jeans pocket, a belt, etc., and with that bottom inward flip on the metal clip it never seems to slip off anything. I don't see any pix of Bianchi's metal clip on their website so here's pics of my Bianchi clip:

One of these days I'll get around to taking the Spirit and LM Core sheaths over to the local tailor and have them sew a little buffer padding on each side of the clip so it doesn't slide back and forth on the existing loop. But for now it works perfectly.
--
Splat
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 07:21:43 PM by Splat »
Splat

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #29 on: December 03, 2007, 03:44:17 AM
The easy way to accomplish a horizontal-carry is to get a clip-on belt loop/mount, such as Bianchi uses on their products, and simply clip it onto the belt loop on your vertical-carry sheath. Boom!, you've got a horizontal-carry. ..

That Bianchi clip looks interesting.   I think I posted my bicycle tube horizonal sheath in a different thread.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%