Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A slew of new slippies arrived!

2xTap · 47 · 4402

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
A slew of new slippies arrived!
on: July 17, 2010, 05:09:14 PM
Fairly recently I got on another buying spree, slipjoints of course. Figured a bunch of eye-candy was in order!  :D

Tons of pics I need to post so I'll break this thread up in a couple of posts. First I'll start off with a couple of new Buck Stockman's I got..........

Buck 301 Yellow Delrin Stockman:

Buck 301 Signature Chairman Series Stockman:

Both are newer production Buck 301 Stockmans and are both 3 7/8" closed. Both sport brush finished, hollow ground 420HC stainless blades. Bolsters and liners are one piece nickle/silver, and the pins are nickle/silver as well on both. The real differences are in the scales of course with new Delrin Series having smooth Yellow Delrin scales with a enamel shield and the Signature Series being done in Cherry Diamond with Chuck Buck's signature engraved across the shield side scale.

They are good looking pieces..........

.................but for me, unfortunately, this is where the good ends. The build on them ain't horrible but both of them suffer from some faults that really annoy me. The build on them for starters is pretty good with flush fit backsprings that remain flush with the blades opened or closed, and both are virtually gap-free throughout......

...........but one of the first things I noticed on these is that both suffer from weak backsprings. They ain't lazy but they are way lighter than I am use to. Too light for my tastes. Second is the horrible edge grinds. The blade grinds themselves are fairly clean and even but once you get to the edges they get wavy on many of the edges, particularly on the Sheepsfoot and Spey blades of both. It's worse on the Signature Series piece as the front side edge bevel of it's Sheepsfoot is twice the width as the backside bevel! I could put a better edge grind on this thing.

And then there are the small unique issues to both. The Yellow Delrin one has some minor lateral play to the mainblade. And the Signature Series has a noticable "step" to the transition from bolsters to scales......rubbing your finger across the sides of this knife you can really feel how much lower the scales sit as compared to the bolsters.

Both of these knives costed me less than $30.00 a piece, and for that money any one of these issues alone wouldn't bother me. But for USA made Buck's, both suffering from all these issues.....this is just not good at all. I've been a longtime fan of Buck, and have owned many over the years. I've handled many new versions of their knives in many of their lines and none suffered from these issues. These are my first actual Buck made slipjoints as all of my others were older contract Buck Stockmans originally built by Camillus for them, and I have one of their newer import pieces.......all of which did not suffer such issues, although my import version did have some of the edge grind uneveness.

I have to say while I like these Stockman, I am also disappointed in them as I have expected much better overall fit and finish from Buck. Hopefully this is a anomally and I just got some late "Friday" knives.

But things get better as I also got a few Case pieces and a new Queen which don't suffer from any problems. Those I'll post here next.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: A slew of new slippies arrived!
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 05:13:19 PM
 :drool:
:like:    :MTO:

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 05:30:52 PM
They look fantastic. What a shame about the faults  :-\

I suppose for $30 they could be a little better, but still not too bad for the money IMHO.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 05:31:15 PM
Next up is a Case Stockman..........

Case Caramel Pocketworn Jigged Bone Stockman:

This one is a #47 pattern Stockman at 3 7/8" closed, my second favorite pattern of stockman next to their large #75 pattern. This one is typical Case build with Tru-Sharp stainless blades, nickle/silver bolsters and shield, and brass pins and liners. Fit and Finish on this one is about as good as it gets. Polish throughout is about perfect, zero blade play anywhere, edges are even and hair-popping sharp, backsprings are the perfect middle ground of not too stout and not weak and they sit flush and gap free, no gaps anywhere on this thing......

Couldn't say I was fan of the bone when first seeing pics of this thing as it seemed kind of bland. Having it in hand changed my mind though as it is a wonderful color with a rich depth to it.

Now this one is a good example of how a American made Stockman should be put together and finished!  :tu:

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 05:35:54 PM

I suppose for $30 they could be a little better, but still not too bad for the money IMHO.

All and all, for the money they ain't horrible and could be better, considering I own many a Rough Rider made in China with prices in the sub-$10.00 range that are flawless. That said I expect more from anything American made, especially knives, and particularly knives from Buck.

But like I said, I believe I got some "Friday" knives as I know this is not typical Buck F&F.

2xTap

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 05:41:22 PM
Yeah, I have a couple of Rough Riders in the same league and it's obvious how the quality differs from Case etc, but they are perfectly useful knives and still a bargain.

That said, I'd happily take your above Case over any of them  :gimme:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 06:01:10 PM
The next two are brand new releases from Case, and of a pattern Case just recently added to the "Vault"....which means they will be discontinued for the next 3 years or so.

Case Goldenrod Bone Seahorse Whittler:

Case Limited Edition Gray Bone Seahorse Whittler:

Both are Case's #55WH pattern Seahorse Whittlers at 4" closed and of typical Case build with Tru-Sharp Stainless blades, nickle/silver bolsters, and brass liners and pins. Goldenrod Bone and Gray Bone are regular series runs for Case at this moment with Goldenrod Bone available in numerous patterns, of which this one Seahorse is a new addition too, as well as available in a run of Vintage Pattern Series slippies. The new Gray Bone is also available in a number of patterns but this other Seahorse is a short run piece with a different bone jig and shield.

Fit and finish of both is flawless, Case is still doing it right. Polish throughout is about perfect, zero blade play anywhere, edges are even and hair-popping sharp, backsprings are the perfect middle ground of not too stout and not weak and they sit flush and gap free........

Two more examples of how American made slippies should be made. And talk about good looking bone. The Goldenrod looks good in pics but is even better in person. It resembles their Amber Bone but with a orange/yellow hue that just makes it pop. This stuff is sweet and they make a Gunboat Canoe in it......top of my list!  :D The Gray bone is nice, although my example came not quite bookended in the dye department, and while the standard run in this color is a bit drab as they come with regular nickle/silver shields and "as ground" blades.......this Limited Edition piece has mirror polished blades and red enamel shield which looks so much better in my view.

The Goldenrod Seahorsie came in the standard Case box but the Gray Bone LE version came in the Tested XX tin with black suede slip-pouch.....real nice additions.

2xTap

us Offline Pacu

Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 06:13:02 PM
Makes me want to go buy a Case right now

awesome pics

this one is beautiful..as are all the rest but i love this colour

:like:    :MTO:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 06:29:36 PM
Some lovely stuff as always 2xtap. :salute:  I only have one example of each (so can hardly be called a proper sample) but in terms of F&F my Case is the best with my Rough Rider a respectable second and my Buck Stockman a distant third. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 06:35:49 PM
I demand you send me those Seahorses immediately :gimme:

They are just so :drool:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 06:47:54 PM
Last, but definitely not least is my latest Queen built piece. Queen Cutlery produces some of the best Slipjoints out there and I have been a longtime fan of them. They also operate the longest continuing running knife manufacturing facility here in the States, making all of their Slipjoints in the original Schatt & Morgan plant. And Queen Cutlery also produces, besides their own brand, a few other brands they own such as Robeson and Schatt & Morgan. But have also built, and still build, contract knives of reknown quality such as the earlier Winchester knives and Original Case Classics, new Bulldog USA, MooreMaker, Titusville Cutlery, and numerous others.

Just a few years ago Queen brought back their original brand, one that was their original dating back to 1922.......the "Queen City Cutlery Company" or QCCC. They have produced a number of pattern runs in this line, all with oldschool handle materials, lots of nickle/silver, and carbon steel blades. I haven't jumped on these as I am not a fan of carbon steel in slippies and try to avoid them whenever possible. That said, this particular one I just got is a bit different as it is a SFO run for SMKW's. They had built 6 different handle materials into this pattern with only 100 of each made, and they all came with D2 Tool Steel blades but otherwise done just like the other QCCC runs.

QCCC Antique Green Bone Large Congress:

This is a #32 pattern 4-blade large framed Congress. All four blades are flat ground and mirror polished D2 Tool Steel. The ringed bolsters, pinned shield, and liners are mirror polished nickle/silver. Pins are brass. Scales are a very nice oldschool Antique Green jigged bone which really acsents the old world quality of this piece.

I have to say I have never really been a fan of the Congress pattern. As a user they are a very uncomfortable pattern in the hand for me, even these larger framed versions. And many Congress patterns just don't appeal to me in the asthetic. But these larger framed ones do look good, and I just could not pass up the price. It was a steal for only $69.99 on SMKW's "Knives Live" show.  :tu:

The fit and finish is near perfect. Blades are ground beautifully with clean even edges that are user sharp, all polishing is flawless, backsprings are decent but I think could be a touch stouter but they sit flush with blades fully opened or closed, and the overall fit is almost gap free......except for one small area. Up on the bolster end of the backside liner between it and the mainblade backspring is a tiny short barely hairline gap about a 1/4" long. It's very faint but it is there. Checking the blades for play it is on this end that one of the main Sheepsfoot blades has the very slightest of lateral play. It is almost non-existant, most people wouldn't even notice it. But I am anal when it comes to such things. It is very minor and a very easy fix if needed, but it really ain't.

Outside of those two small issues this thing is perfect and well worth the cheap price I got it for.

It is a beaut of a Congress, and SMKW's has a few more of these in different scales.....if they come up cheap again I am going to get me some more.  :2tu:

2xTap

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 07:00:35 PM
Makes me want to go buy a Case right now

awesome pics

I highly recommend you should go get a Case, right now!  ;)

And thanks.  :tu:

2xTap

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 07:04:05 PM
Some lovely stuff as always 2xtap. :salute:  I only have one example of each (so can hardly be called a proper sample) but in terms of F&F my Case is the best with my Rough Rider a respectable second and my Buck Stockman a distant third. 

I highly recommend, if and when the chance arises, you get yourself a GEC. While Case and the like build a sweet slippie, Great Eastern is building production slippies at a near custom level of fit and finish......if my collection of them is any example.

Speaking of Great Eastern, I got one of their new releases on order and should have it soon!  :D

2xTap

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 07:06:17 PM
I demand you send me those Seahorses immediately :gimme:

No......you must go get your own!  :P

2xTap  ;) :D ;)

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 07:35:45 PM
I love Queen knives too but like you I have never been a Congress pattern fan. I guess I just do not like the look or style of them. Picky me. Oh well, that is still a very nice looking new QCCC. I have been adding a few slip joint knives into my collection lately and fewer SAK's. I really like the look of GEC and will probably buy or trade for one someday. I need to do some cleaning up on a few knives and then take some photos to share.

Great photos!! :tu: :tu:

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 11:43:11 PM
stressmaster5000,

Yeah, Queen makes some wondeful knives. I agree though, some of it is the look of most Congress patterns. They just don't appeal to me usually.

As to GEC, for fit and finish, they are hard to beat in a production slippie. But if you like your knives like a razor out of the box you won't get it with GEC. As well built as their knives are they don't come with the keenest of edges.

2xTap

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 18, 2010, 05:56:37 AM
That and the danged backsprings are too tough for me.  I know a lot of people like them, but I chew my nails (nervous habit) and I can't get enough purchase on the blade.  They are beuatiful to look at and use, just not to open.

Offline josekym

Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 09:26:16 AM
Beautiful knives you got there!  :drool:

Off topic: Can anyone here rapidly recite the thread title 10x in succession... without twisting a tongue?  :D  :P

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 09:39:13 AM
Beautiful knives you got there!  :drool:

Off topic: Can anyone here rapidly recite the thread title 10x in succession... without twisting a tongue?  :D  :P
+1  :D

Off topic: That's a tough one..  :D

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 04:17:14 PM
That and the danged backsprings are too tough for me.  I know a lot of people like them, but I chew my nails (nervous habit) and I can't get enough purchase on the blade.  They are beuatiful to look at and use, just not to open.

Yeah, GEC does backsprings the way they should be done. Although not all of their patterns are hard to open. Their #23 and #73 patterns get real tough due to the half-stops. If you are not use to them they can be dangerous. They are definitely slipjoints with a "walk & talk" like few others!

josekym,

Thanks bud. And to the tongue twisting header, I made it through 5x before I stumbled.  :D

2xTap

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 04:31:42 PM
Thanks for your thoughts and pic's 2tap.  :)  I always look forward to pic's of these fine slip-joint knives.
Interesting and a bit discouraging about the Buck knives.
It's posts like these that make me wish I had a local supplier of Case slippies.  :tu:

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 04:58:58 PM
Sean,

You are welcome bud.  :tu:

As to local suppliers, I'm not sure about how things are in Canada but I have quite a few shops and the like in my neck of the woods that sell Case Knives and I have to be honest.....I almost never buy from them. Be they Gun Shops, Hardware Stores, or the big chains like Cabela's, Bass Pro, or Gander Mountain.......I can get Case Knives much cheaper, shipping costs included, from many a on-line dealer than getting them through local shops.

As much as I like to support the local businessess there is no way in hell I am paying $100.00 for a Case Trapper, in some instances, when I can buy two for the same money. Nearly all of my knife collection, and I own hundreds, has been bought from on-line shops.

Do you not have any good on-line knife dealers located in Canada?

2xTap

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 10:31:40 PM
2tap,  thanks for the info on Online retailers.  I have Warriors and Wonders fairly close by me
but unfortunately they do not have the Case brand.  That one site I think you gave me down
in the US where you buy alot from looked good and I guess I could order some from them but
I just found there site difficult to navigate through looking for particular knives.  I think they
listed in order of scales and scale material rather than knife model?   :)

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 11:23:08 PM
2tap,  thanks for the info on Online retailers.  I have Warriors and Wonders fairly close by me
but unfortunately they do not have the Case brand.  That one site I think you gave me down
in the US where you buy alot from looked good and I guess I could order some from them but
I just found there site difficult to navigate through looking for particular knives.  I think they

Let me know what models you want and I can get them, Sean; I know people. ;)

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 02:59:40 AM

Thanks Sazabi I appreciate that.  I will take a look again at some models and get ahold of you.  :tu:

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 03:03:12 AM
2tap,  thanks for the info on Online retailers.  I have Warriors and Wonders fairly close by me
but unfortunately they do not have the Case brand.  That one site I think you gave me down
I just found there site difficult to navigate through looking for particular knives.  I think they
listed in order of scales and scale material rather than knife model?   :)

Thanks Sazabi I appreciate that.  I will take a look again at some models and get ahold of you.  :tu:

And you don't have to limit it to Case; I can get others, too, but Victorinox is almost null now from that source, so just fyi. :/  Gerber, Kershaw, SOG, et cetera, however, are free game, as are Buck, and others, too. :)

Err, though I don't promise to be able to get /everything/, I'll see what I can do. :)

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 04:46:43 AM

...........That one site I think you gave me down

Probably Sooner State Knives......he does list his Case knives by Series or Run and not by pattern. Easy for those of us familiar with their runs to find what we need but I see what you mean about it being a bit difficult if you are hunting for something particular.

But then again, the hunt can be half the fun!  :D

2xTap

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 05:58:16 AM
Yeah they do have a huge selection of knives.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 06:54:22 AM

All and all, for the money they ain't horrible and could be better, considering I own many a Rough Rider made in China with prices in the sub-$10.00 range that are flawless. That said I expect more from anything American made, especially knives, and particularly knives from Buck.

But like I said, I believe I got some "Friday" knives as I know this is not typical Buck F&F.

2xTap

Would you mind taking a couple of pictures of some of your Rough Rider knives that you think are
nice and you like?  I see one of our Canadian sellers has a pretty good selection of them and I
just might grab a few of them to try if he'll combine shipping.
How do you find they hold the edge?  Thanks :)

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 10:56:40 PM

Would you mind taking a couple of pictures of some of your Rough Rider knives that you think are
nice and you like?  I see one of our Canadian sellers has a pretty good selection of them and I
just might grab a few of them to try if he'll combine shipping.
How do you find they hold the edge?  Thanks :)

Sean,

Here's several, I own quite a few Rough Riders but these are some of my favs and some with excellent overall F&F.........

.........hope that helps!  :2tu:

2xTap

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%