Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A slew of new slippies arrived!

2xTap · 47 · 4511

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: A slew of new slippies arrived!
Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 10:57:47 PM
Bails :drool: :drool:
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 11:24:08 PM
2tap,  thanks for those!  Nice job!  :tu:  I think I'm going to try and pick up a few
of those.

Btw, how sturdy are they?  Side to side about as tight as the Case and Buck knives
or are they a bit loose?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:57:22 AM by Sean »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 01:58:34 AM
Mine is not loose in the slightest.  Forget about the low price, they really are well put together knives and are far better than the price suggests.

Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

spam Offline Zack

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 02:17:46 AM
I finally got a slipjoint I can open.  I recieved a Case Blue Jigged Bone Stockman today, and I love it.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 05:26:02 AM
2tap,  thanks for those!  Nice job!  :tu:  I think I'm going to try and pick up a few
of those.

Btw, how sturdy are they?  Side to side about as tight as the Case and Buck knives
or are they a bit loose?

Let me say that you must take these Rough Riders for what they are, inexpensive import knives made in China and built on traditional patterns. They don't all come perfect......the thing is that more often than not they come in a level of fit and finish that far surpasses their low price tag. Which is what has made them very popular. Add to that they do a pretty good heat treat on their steel.

I own dozens of RR slippies, a good majority of them have come near perfect in their F&F. The occassional slight hairline gap in the backspring area, maybe a little blade rub here or there. But on the whole nothing major. I have a couple RR's that have a blade with some slight lateral play, and a couple others with backsprings not quite as stout as they should be.....these have been the most severe faults I could find on any I own.

But I also have several that have come without a fault I could find. Case and Queen level of fit and finish. I nit pick my knives, even the slightest blemish I notice. And when I get slippies that I can't really find anything wrong, even the slightest, and they cost mere pocket change......even those that come with very minor things......it's a wonderful thing.

Rough Rider knives offer this. They are working knives that look good, are fitted and finished well, that you can carry and use without fear of damage or loss.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 05:28:47 AM
I finally got a slipjoint I can open.  I recieved a Case Blue Jigged Bone Stockman today, and I love it.

Zack,

Good to hear bud! So where is the eye-candy? We need pics.  :D

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 07:05:19 AM
Hey 'Tap, it's good to see you still flying the RR flag.  They are great little knives, and an absolute steal.  I've still got all of mine.  And I even carry several tucked away in various cases.  I've got a red-handled whittler, an orange handled doctor, and a green handled congress along for the ride.

To throw out another name, I have several of the better Steel Warriors with me.  (A couple whittlers, one a half-whittler, the other a thin model with yellow synthetic handles, both with great Wharncliffes on them, plus a 5-blade Congress in "Mississippi Mud" bone, and a "Black Widow" congress...)

These knives get overlooked, but they're a good value.   As I've always said, they aren't Case, but they aren't bad, either!   :2tu:
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 07:45:11 AM
Thanks for the info guys!  :)

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 11:07:43 PM
HBlaine,

Oh yeah, can't beat the value of the RR's. Best bang for the buck slippies out there. I have a few Steel Warrior Stockmans I picked up years back when they were first released. Not quite as good as the RR's but I have heard they have gotten better since I got mine. Alot of people I know equate the SW's to the RR's often.

Another couple import slippie lines I also like are the Marble's and the new Colt stuff. The few newer Colt slippies I got are as good or better than most of my RR's, and the Marble's stuff I got is on par with the RR's.

2xTap

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: July 21, 2010, 02:35:43 AM
Hate to be a pain 2tap but can you post a couple of pic's of the new Colt stuff you like?   :tu:

Thanks.

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #40 on: July 21, 2010, 05:09:39 AM
Hate to be a pain 2tap but can you post a couple of pic's of the new Colt stuff you like?   :tu:

Thanks.

No problem. This first one below is from the second series released under the new Colt license. This one is a Copperhead in Black Stag Bone. The fit and finish is equal to most of the Rough Riders I own.........

These next two are from one of the most recent runs of Colt's. Much fancier in overall finish. Both are Gunstocks............

.............the fit and finish of these exceeds anything I have under the Rough Rider brand. Matter of fact, their level of F&F is so good I can easily compare them to Case or Queen. They are that good. (Note: The Colt License is now owned by SMKW's, the same company that owns the Rough Rider brand. The new Colt slipjoints are made by the same manufacturer that produces the Rough Rider line of slipjoints.)

2xTap

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 05:15:17 AM
This is all very interesting and thanks for the pictures and your insight.  :)  I'll be giving these knives
a good look as I'm always looking to round out my collection.  :tu:

us Offline HBlaine

• It does WHAT??
Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 02:35:21 PM
HBlaine,

Oh yeah, can't beat the value of the RR's. Best bang for the buck slippies out there. I have a few Steel Warrior Stockmans I picked up years back when they were first released. Not quite as good as the RR's but I have heard they have gotten better since I got mine. Alot of people I know equate the SW's to the RR's often.

Another couple import slippie lines I also like are the Marble's and the new Colt stuff. The few newer Colt slippies I got are as good or better than most of my RR's, and the Marble's stuff I got is on par with the RR's.

2xTap

There you go again, giving me more reasons to want to spend money! :D

The Steel Warriors still haven't quite gotten up to RR quality yet, but they're good.  The thin model, yellow-handled Wharncliffe Whittler I have can pretty much stand with the best I've seen.  The Wharncliffe half-Whittler I have is the same.

I've not yet looked at the Marble's knives.  Trying to cut back right now, as I still have packages arriving back home.  Going to need to heal the damage from those before I start buying anything else...   :ahhh
Nothing says extraterrestrial like...

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: July 21, 2010, 07:07:59 PM
I've really got to locate a couple of small nylon carry cases for my Slippies.  This is what
prevents me from carrying them more often.  They are so classy and functional so it's a
shame. :-\

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #44 on: July 22, 2010, 03:08:36 AM

There you go again, giving me more reasons to want to spend money! :D

HBlaine,

I do what I can!  :D ;) :D

Sean,

Nylon carrying cases? They are pocketknives, just drop one in your pocket and go. If you are worried about them getting scratched and banged up......get some Rough Riders.

2xTap

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 07:27:08 AM
Those green Rough Riders are singing to me  :drool: :drool: :ahhh :ahhh

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 23, 2010, 07:38:18 AM
2xtap i`m liking the Case Carmel pocket worn Stockman and the large Queen green bone Congress    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD