Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Vic Master Electrician - Some Questions

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Vic Master Electrician - Some Questions
on: August 30, 2007, 11:24:18 AM
A SAK that I'd not been aware of: 
http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?PriceEnd=&order=PriceAsc&CatalogName=&range=261&list=10&Feature=&SearchText=&Mode=Brand&PriceStart=&Brand=117&SKU=V59680

This little guy has two Phillips drivers, with one being end mounted and one being bottom-center mounted.

It's sort of like the Vic Mechanic, but with an added Phillips driver and with its small blade being a sheepsfoot rather than a spearpoint.

What I like:
+great selection of tools for a smaller SAK
+second Phillips driver, end-mounted for superior reach and ergonomics.

What I don't like:
-built in LED light
-kind of pricey
-wasted space that could house additional implements?

That last point refers to its layer setup:
-It has one layer containing two blades.
-It has one layer containing bottle opener and can opener implements.
-It has one layer containing the pliers.

So far this is just like Mechanic's three layers.  But, it appears to have one additional layer containing just the end-mounted Phillips driver.

Why didn't Vic put another implement at the opposite end of that layer?

Also, since it has four layers, why didn't Vic add at least one more tool on the bottom along with the awl and Phillips?

Finally, does anyone know if there is a model like this, but without the LED light?

N

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Vic Master Electrician - Some Questions
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 12:36:41 PM
This model and another one the Master Gardener:
http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Text&Brand=&CatalogName=&PriceStart=&PriceEnd=&Feature=&SearchText=gardener&Submit.x=0&Submit.y=0&list=10&range=1&order=Default&SKU=V59681

Are exclusives to Smokey Mountain.  The end mounted phillips on the ME is in the same layer with the LED light, which is usually paired with the phillips.  You can see some better pictures of the arrangement here:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=154&Itemid=35

The Master Electrician is a four layer knife- the three you mentioned plus the layer with the phillips and LED.  As for the rest, being a custom, produced for SMKW, my best guess is that SMKW came up with the configuration and Victorinox did whatever they wanted since they were paying.  Minimum order for a custom run like that is 5,000 pieces, and since they got two different models, Victorinox probably was happy to do whatever they liked.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 06:09:21 PM
I was thinking of trying to pick one of those these.  This along with the Master Gardener are the only Vics with both a front spring and back spring Phillips screwdriver.  That makes 'em pretty unique in my opinion.

As for EDC, I don't think I'd like the duo-Phillips because there isn't a real difference in size from what it looks like.  I'd prefer a corkscrew to hold a mini-SD.  But from a collection standpoint they are interesting pieces.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 04:22:46 PM
...The end mounted phillips on the ME is in the same layer with the LED light, which is usually paired with the phillips.  You can see some better pictures of the arrangement here:

http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=154&Itemid=35

The Master Electrician is a four layer knife- the three you mentioned plus the layer with the phillips and LED...

Thanks for clearing that up, Def.  That thread you referenced has some excellent pics of the SAK LED light setup.

I'd never examined one of the SAKs that feature the built in LED lights.  Figured the LED and batteries would be housed in one of the scales - as in the Buck Xtracts with LED lights.

Anyone know why Vic doesn't offer that end-mounted Phillips driver on more models?

Looks to be far superior to the right-angle, bottom-mounted Phillips on my Tinker.

N

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 04:30:00 PM
I was thinking of trying to pick one of those these.  This along with the Master Gardener are the only Vics with both a front spring and back spring Phillips screwdriver.  That makes 'em pretty unique in my opinion.

As for EDC, I don't think I'd like the duo-Phillips because there isn't a real difference in size from what it looks like.  I'd prefer a corkscrew to hold a mini-SD.  But from a collection standpoint they are interesting pieces.

From a collector's viewpoint, the ME and MG seem unique enough to be must have aquisitions.

I'm not a collector - just a longtime SAK user.  I'm always on the lookout for small to medium size SAKs with more useful functions and better ergonomics.

N

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 05:23:14 PM
I know exactly why Victorinox doesn't offer those on more models... and here's why! :P

SAKs are not random like many folks think.  You can't just add or subtract tools with impunity or create models that don't currently exist.  Well, some folks do, but those guys understand the patterns that are involved with certain tools, and that's why they don't offer certain features on certain models.

For example, the hook on the backside is always mated to scissors on the front side.  All 91mm models (and up) are designed to use existing components to keep costs down, and therefore all have a corkscrew or a phillips.  Therefore, all 91+ models have either a corkscrew or phillips on the back.  The main blade is ground to one side to accommodate a second tool at the opposite end.  Victorinox has three tools that can fit in that slot- the combo tool, the small blade and the nail file.  The same can be said for other tools as well- in this case, the short phillips is paired with the LED while the longer phillips is paired with the magnifying glass.  Because these tools are designed to go together, they really can't be moved around much- or rather, they can, but they have to be moved together as a layer rather than as individual tools.

When someone like Smokey Mountain wants a custom built knife, they have to choose certain arrangements or else the knife won't work properly.  That's why there are no "build your own" SAK services- there are rules in SAK building that most folks don't know.  Victorinox also prides themselves on avoiding redundancy which is why the ME and MG really surprised me in the beginning.  The LED models are restricted to corkscrew models so there aren't two phillips on the same tool, which would basically be a waste of space, like they are on the SMKW offerings.  Looking at the standard Lite models, you have the Huntsman (corkscrew) and the Spartan (corkscrew) because the LED module comes with a phillips.

While interesting, the SMKW models are really just illustrations of why the average person shouldn't try to design a SAK!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 05:29:40 PM
Anyone know why Vic doesn't offer that end-mounted Phillips driver on more models?

Looks to be far superior to the right-angle, bottom-mounted Phillips on my Tinker.
My guess is for two reasons:

First (less of importance) is that it is relatively short while being relatively thick.  Many of the times I needed a Phillips the "in line" Phillips was too short to get at the screw that I needed to turn, or the thickness of the blade prevented me from getting to the screw.

Second (bigger reason) is that the inline Phillips is THICK!  The layer that houses it ends up being a REALLY thick layer.  The majority of people want a relatively slender knife when they are EDCing and having that thick of a layer adds a lot of bulk.  If you'll notice the mid-mounted Phillips cuts into the scale, so the layer it is mounted in isn't really big at all.  It doesn't make the knife "feel" bigger.

That said, I really always wanted a in-line Phillips.  I think Vic really got it right with the CyberTool.  Not only to you have an in-line Phillips, but it's narrow, very long, and has three different sized Phillips heads!  If you need an EDC that can handle a number of screw heads, the CyberTool is a must have.

Offline RedRamage

Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 05:38:00 PM
While interesting, the SMKW models are really just illustrations of why the average person shouldn't try to design a SAK!
I still think that Victorinox would make a MINT if they offered a 'build-a-knife' service.  I really don't think it would be too hard either.  They would just have to set it up so that the customer picked from a variety of different layers rather than individual tools.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 06:29:33 PM
So, it am actually rather attracted to the Master Electrician model, but unfortunately they are sold out, and SMKW has no idea if they are even going to be ordering more.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 06:33:29 PM
So, it am actually rather attracted to the Master Electrician model, but unfortunately they are sold out, and SMKW has no idea if they are even going to be ordering more.
You could always email Tim at http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 and see if he can find one for you (he has a knack for finding rare Sak's :))
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 12:16:46 AM
He didn't have one the other week when I wanted one :(  That's not to say he hasn't since found one. 

I did grab a Master Gardener from him though :)

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 12:17:37 AM
He didn't have one the other week when I wanted one :(  That's not to say he hasn't since found one. 

I did grab a Master Gardener from him though :)

Neil
Will that one be coming to the meet :)

us Offline felinevet

• Banner Member
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 01:41:50 AM
You could always email Tim at http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 and see if he can find one for you (he has a knack for finding rare Sak's :))

Sorry, I had a few but they are long gone. :cry:
T

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 10:04:43 PM
Will that one be coming to the meet :)

Noted  :)

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 10:12:28 PM

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00