Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wave Owners Club

Zed · 2900 · 184157

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Wave Owners Club
Reply #810 on: July 07, 2017, 04:28:18 PM
Glad to have you back.

Glad to be back mate  :salute:

Congrats on coming full circle Zed :salute: Good on Aloha for helping you get there and glad you have a Wave again :like:

Thanks mate,I really do fill like I've gone full circle,for me this is by far the best MT on the market today,it just does it all and does it well,I'll do a comparison against the powerplay soon  ;)

Can't wait for the review/comparison  :tu: :like:

I kind of felt this was sogs version of a Wave type MT,  I've plenty of time so I'll review these 2 next week with lots of pics,and none on photoburpet  :rofl:

Yes we will all stay clear from PB from now on :whistle: :D

Also hope you heal quick buddy and can get back on your feet good :salute:

Thanks mate  :salute:

Offline vario

Reply #811 on: July 07, 2017, 10:54:05 PM
Here is my 2002 Wave.  I bought it off ebay for only $36, had a lot of superficial grime and tarnish so I got a good deal.  It looks brand new now.  It had stiff opening before and there was some brown dirt, rust, grease, tarnish on it when I received it.  However it doesn't really look like its ever been used.  One handle is 0602A, other handle is 0802A, I assume that means June 2002 and August 2002, but I am not sure about the A.  I used the following steps to bring it back to excellent condition:
1 ) PB Blastered
2 ) Open and closed a bunch
3 ) More PB Blaster and let it soak in a ziploc bag for 3 days out in the heat of the shed
4 ) Johnson's Carb cleaner to get the PB Blaster off
5 ) Boiling hot water and some soap to get the carb cleaner off
6 ) Hairdryer to dry it real fast
7 ) Wipe down with Sewing machine oil and a squirt in the hinges.  I tried some 3 in 1 but it was a bit too stiff, the sewing machine oil worked better.
8 ) Wipe off excess oil

I ordered a sheath from a seller named Mark Fanders off ebay, it looks like a nice one, I'll update with my thoughts on it.

IMG_2272.JPG
* IMG_2272.JPG (Filesize: 46.89 KB)
IMG_2273.JPG
* IMG_2273.JPG (Filesize: 51.93 KB)
IMG_2278.JPG
* IMG_2278.JPG (Filesize: 37.8 KB)
IMG_2279.JPG
* IMG_2279.JPG (Filesize: 28.04 KB)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2017, 11:55:48 PM by vario »

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #812 on: July 08, 2017, 04:09:21 AM
Nice old Wave and thanks for sharing :tu: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #813 on: July 08, 2017, 04:09:49 AM
Also welcome to :MTO: :cheers:

Offline vario

Reply #814 on: July 10, 2017, 09:57:05 PM
Thanks! here is the sheath from ebay seller mytmo555.
Pretty nice really happy with it.  Only $24, really good deal!
wave1.JPG
* wave1.JPG (Filesize: 46.61 KB)
wave2.JPG
* wave2.JPG (Filesize: 23.44 KB)
wave3.JPG
* wave3.JPG (Filesize: 28.5 KB)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:59:41 PM by vario »

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #815 on: July 10, 2017, 10:12:31 PM
Welcome to the club,that sheath is  :drool:  :salute:

fi Offline Telajänis

Reply #816 on: July 12, 2017, 09:46:03 AM
Hope I'm putting this in the right place, but, here be my Wave. I originally had a PST, that my father got me for Christmas in like 2002 or something, and I really liked it, with its only big annoyance being that in plier form, the handles really dug in to your hands. To my great sadness, I lost it around the time I moved out for college, so after an appropriate grief period, I started looking at replacing it, and settled on the Wave.
I went to this mall's tool & camping section and asked for one, and they said they're all out of the standard one, but he had the 25th anniversary model for 20€ more. Being on a student budget, my rational mind said to pass it up, but it was quickly stomped to death by the WANT!! part of my mind, so I got it. Came with the collector's edition tin and all. Will have to post a photo of that later.

The straight blade has seen better days. Like an idiot, a few years back I tried to pry something with it and the tip snapped off. I lacked the skill or tools to re-profile it, so I gave it to someone who did, and he did make it sharp as hell, but to him, aesthetics is a non-issue in tools, hence the scratches. Functionally, there's nothing wrong with it. Some day, I'll send it to the importer for them to replace the blade, because it's shockingly difficult to find them as replacement parts to swap yourself.

Aside from the main blade, the only part that's been damaged, is the eye-glass driver bit. The flat end of it got chipped years and years ago. To return the original favor, I bought my father a standard Wave for Christmas a few years ago, but he felt he won't have as much use for the eye-glass bit, so we swapped. Discounting that, and the wear on the standard bit coating, it's still like new. I even like the scissors, which you might say are the weakest part of the tool.

I suppose most people would just keep the anniversary edition in a collection, but I put mine to use then, and it's been in use almost daily since then for about 8 years now. It keeps its shine remarkably well. The included sheath is still intact, but the velcro is completely spent, which I why I got the Skinth, which WoodsDuck pointed out to me.  :multi:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #817 on: July 12, 2017, 10:05:10 AM
Hope I'm putting this in the right place, but, here be my Wave. I originally had a PST, that my father got me for Christmas in like 2002 or something, and I really liked it, with its only big annoyance being that in plier form, the handles really dug in to your hands. To my great sadness, I lost it around the time I moved out for college, so after an appropriate grief period, I started looking at replacing it, and settled on the Wave.
I went to this mall's tool & camping section and asked for one, and they said they're all out of the standard one, but he had the 25th anniversary model for 20€ more. Being on a student budget, my rational mind said to pass it up, but it was quickly stomped to death by the WANT!! part of my mind, so I got it. Came with the collector's edition tin and all. Will have to post a photo of that later.
(Image removed from quote.)
The straight blade has seen better days. Like an idiot, a few years back I tried to pry something with it and the tip snapped off. I lacked the skill or tools to re-profile it, so I gave it to someone who did, and he did make it sharp as hell, but to him, aesthetics is a non-issue in tools, hence the scratches. Functionally, there's nothing wrong with it. Some day, I'll send it to the importer for them to replace the blade, because it's shockingly difficult to find them as replacement parts to swap yourself.
Aside from the main blade, the only part that's been damaged, is the eye-glass driver bit. The flat end of it got chipped years and years ago. To return the original favor, I bought my father a standard Wave for Christmas a few years ago, but he felt he won't have as much use for the eye-glass bit, so we swapped. Discounting that, and the wear on the standard bit coating, it's still like new. I even like the scissors, which you might say are the weakest part of the tool.

I suppose most people would just keep the anniversary edition in a collection, but I put mine to use then, and it's been in use almost daily since then for about 8 years now. It keeps its shine remarkably well. The included sheath is still intact, but the velcro is completely spent, which I why I got the Skinth, which WoodsDuck pointed out to me.  :multi:

Welcome to the club mate,great story and very cool to use it as it is a tool to be used  :salute:

nz Offline Syncop8r

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #818 on: July 12, 2017, 10:37:16 AM
Welcome to  :MTO:  :cheers:
You could try Loki https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,64314.0.html for a replacement blade if you don't mind doing it yourself, you will just need a few more posts to be able to PM him.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #819 on: July 12, 2017, 08:03:56 PM
Awesome pics of an awesome Wave :o Very nice telajanus :tu: :like: :like:

us Offline Gadsden

Reply #820 on: July 13, 2017, 01:55:28 AM
Count me in?
20170712_185416.jpg
* 20170712_185416.jpg (Filesize: 131.69 KB)

fi Offline Telajänis

Reply #821 on: July 13, 2017, 08:49:23 AM
Count me in?
Leather sheath with the logo embossed, sweet!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #822 on: July 13, 2017, 11:59:17 AM
Welcome to the club Gadsden :tu: Nice setup :cheers: :like:

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #823 on: July 13, 2017, 12:53:09 PM
Welcome guys and great stories :tu:
Tom

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #824 on: July 13, 2017, 01:35:49 PM
 :like:  Welcome New club new members  :salute:
2017-07-13 12.05.37.jpg
* 2017-07-13 12.05.37.jpg (Filesize: 208.28 KB)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 01:39:31 PM by Zed »

Offline vario

Reply #825 on: July 13, 2017, 08:43:27 PM
added an awl from the PST, easy to do!

Next question: Does the 154CM or S30V blade from newer LM's fit the classic/OG wave?
5.jpg
* 5.jpg (Filesize: 71.07 KB)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 08:55:16 PM by vario »

us Offline Gadsden

Reply #826 on: July 13, 2017, 08:58:07 PM
Welcome to the club Gadsden :tu: Nice setup :cheers: :like:

Thank you! It'll be getting the rebar head and awl treatment eventually. I liked the china sheath so much that when it tore up I replaced the bad section of leather, onboard is a fisher pen, firesteel.com 3/8"×4" firesteel, and an extra hair tie for my wife (hers breaks often).

us Offline Gadsden

Reply #827 on: July 13, 2017, 08:58:58 PM

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #828 on: July 14, 2017, 01:31:37 PM

Next question: Does the 154CM or S30V blade from newer LM's fit the classic/OG wave?
Nice mod vario.
Not sure about the ability to drop in newer blades.
But sure does make sense to have an awl rather than three flat drivers! :like:
Tom

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #829 on: July 15, 2017, 01:12:54 AM

Nice mod vario.
Not sure about the ability to drop in newer blades.
But sure does make sense to have an awl rather than three flat drivers! :like:
Unless you use the screwdrivers and have no use for an awl   :whistle:
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #830 on: July 15, 2017, 02:01:47 PM
I always knew I would get a Wave.  I discovered LMs when I got my father a new Juice S2 for his birthday in April 2017, then I got myself one, and a second-hand Juice Pro and Squirt PS4 (from the sales here), and a battered up S4 from US E-bay (postage costs as much as the item when I buy from the US  >:( ).  Now I have a Wave picked up in the UK from Shpock (second hand sales site).  Cost me £37 including postage and PayPal fees (about US$48).

I gave it a quick clean in warm soapy water --- a lot of gunk and grime came out, especially from the saw slot.

The serrated blade had flecks of metal on it --- looks like it may have been used to cut some thin wires?  There's a little bit of rusting on that blade.

I'd not seen a LM Wave plain blade up close before, and I initially thought someone had tried to sharpen the top, Bowie style.  :rofl:

The pliers are not tight and have a tiny bit of wobble in them, not much to worry about, but just enough slack so that the handles do not come together straight unless I give them a little squeeze and then all is fine.  :tu:

There's some rusting on the pliers.  The flat head and scissors open nicely, the flat heads look unused, and the scissors are good and sharp.  The large flat head in the other handle is clean and sharp but a bit tight to open, and the philips head and can opener are very tightly held together --- I can get them apart, but it needs a bit of effort and my Squirt PS4.

I've given all parts a liberal spraying with WD40 and will let that soak in for a while.  Then I'll go to work cleaning it up some more.  All in all, I'm happy with this Wave.  Blades lock nicely, tools show no or small use.  The bits of rusting will probably polish off.  I think this will replace my Juice Pro.  I was wondering about getting some TS10 pentalobe bits to dis-assemble and do some deep cleaning, and even add in two New Wave bit holders I have, but I'm not sure about that now, since it's a nice tool and I'm not sure I want to mess it up. 

This is an 0401 Wave (both handles), so although I now have a Wave, I still don't have a (New) Wave!  ;)

Offline vario

Reply #831 on: July 15, 2017, 03:02:17 PM
I always knew I would get a Wave.  I discovered LMs when I got my father a new Juice S2 for his birthday in April 2017, then I got myself one, and a second-hand Juice Pro and Squirt PS4 (from the sales here), and a battered up S4 from US E-bay (postage costs as much as the item when I buy from the US  >:( ).  Now I have a Wave picked up in the UK from Shpock (second hand sales site).  Cost me £37 including postage and PayPal fees (about US$48).

I gave it a quick clean in warm soapy water --- a lot of gunk and grime came out, especially from the saw slot.

The serrated blade had flecks of metal on it --- looks like it may have been used to cut some thin wires?  There's a little bit of rusting on that blade.

I'd not seen a LM Wave plain blade up close before, and I initially thought someone had tried to sharpen the top, Bowie style.  :rofl:

The pliers are not tight and have a tiny bit of wobble in them, not much to worry about, but just enough slack so that the handles do not come together straight unless I give them a little squeeze and then all is fine.  :tu:

There's some rusting on the pliers.  The flat head and scissors open nicely, the flat heads look unused, and the scissors are good and sharp.  The large flat head in the other handle is clean and sharp but a bit tight to open, and the philips head and can opener are very tightly held together --- I can get them apart, but it needs a bit of effort and my Squirt PS4.

I've given all parts a liberal spraying with WD40 and will let that soak in for a while.  Then I'll go to work cleaning it up some more.  All in all, I'm happy with this Wave.  Blades lock nicely, tools show no or small use.  The bits of rusting will probably polish off.  I think this will replace my Juice Pro.  I was wondering about getting some TS10 pentalobe bits to dis-assemble and do some deep cleaning, and even add in two New Wave bit holders I have, but I'm not sure about that now, since it's a nice tool and I'm not sure I want to mess it up. 

This is an 0401 Wave (both handles), so although I now have a Wave, I still don't have a (New) Wave!  ;)

I wouldn't remove the handles from the plier head.  Its hard to reassemble the plier head, I did it yesterday and it a lot of effort to get it back together because the hole tolerances are so tight.  Its likely that tightening the torx bolts won't make your tool any tighter because what seems to happen is the plier head gets looser over time.  Tightening the torx bolts will make the blades and file harder to open.  I think you have to use a hammer and punch to tighten the rivet inside the pliers.  My LM wave looked even worse than yours when I bought it off eBay a week or two ago, I let it soak in penetrating oil for 3 days and then cleaned it with carb cleaner and it looked brand new, then I oiled it with some sewing machine oil in all the pivots.  For the penetrating oil soak, I put it in a ziplock and sprayed the penetrating oil into the bag.  If its like mine, nearly all the surface rust will just come off with a wipe after soaking in the oil and it will be very shiny.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:07:36 PM by vario »

us Online zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #832 on: July 15, 2017, 03:20:09 PM

Congrats on the Wave!  Many of us actually prefer the older Wave model like yours. I had a new Generation BO Wave but didn't care for it and sold it.

I love my Wave enough that I bought a pristine backup in a gorgeous leather sheath and it is there in case my every day Wave ever suffers some catastrophic failure.

Enjoy that Wave!

:tu:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gb Offline BePrepared

Reply #833 on: July 15, 2017, 03:30:23 PM
The blades I can now crack open with one hand, just about.  The oiling has made the philips and can opener side much easier to open.  There's still some brown residue coming out around the joints, so I'm going to have to play work with it some more.  :)

I doubt I will take it apart now.  It's so nicely put together.  I notice the second largest flat head just about fits the hex bit extender that I use on my philips on the Juice S2.  This Wave philips does not seem to be a fit for the bit extender.

Offline vario

Reply #834 on: July 15, 2017, 04:10:54 PM
The blades I can now crack open with one hand, just about.  The oiling has made the philips and can opener side much easier to open.  There's still some brown residue coming out around the joints, so I'm going to have to play work with it some more.  :)

I doubt I will take it apart now.  It's so nicely put together.  I notice the second largest flat head just about fits the hex bit extender that I use on my philips on the Juice S2.  This Wave philips does not seem to be a fit for the bit extender.
Yep keep squirting penetrating oil until the brown stops coming out  :cheers:  It is very easy to take apart the handle ends compared to the pliers, so if the screwdrivers, scissors, or bottlecap opener are too tight, you can easily readjust the tension.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #835 on: July 16, 2017, 01:44:34 AM
Very nice OG Wave :o :like: They do clean up pretty easy (takes time and some effort still) but that effort is definitely worth it with the older Waves :cheers:

Keep us updated about the restoration :tu:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #836 on: July 16, 2017, 03:38:37 AM
~
Yep keep squirting penetrating oil until the brown stops coming out  :cheers:  ~
You know, I do believe those are the same instructions I received sometime ago from a doctor.... the brown still keeps coming out :oops:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 03:41:24 AM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

au Offline T.Sawyer

Reply #837 on: July 16, 2017, 03:55:33 AM
~
Yep keep squirting penetrating oil until the brown stops coming out  :cheers:  ~
You know, I do believe those are the same instructions I received sometime ago from a doctor.... the brown still keeps coming out :oops:
Oh wow lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tom

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #838 on: July 16, 2017, 06:47:09 AM
~

TMI! DMY!

ua Offline in_sympathy

• No Life Club
Reply #839 on: July 16, 2017, 07:32:35 AM
~
That made my morning 🤣🤣🤣
Dream. Wish. Leave nothing undone. Repeat.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%